GENSOKYO MAFIA

Discuss anything and everything. Really.

GENSOKYO MAFIA

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 13 Dec 2009 18:56

Mafia, guys! You know, that game where there's this mafia and you're supposed to figure out who it is? No? Well, I guess I'll explain how things roll on the off-chance that you've never played this fun game before.

Alright, then. The basic idea of the game is to figure out who the Mafia is. The Mafia, as the name implies, is a group of people, usually no larger than two players, who runs around killing other players. After the Mafia has killed off a player, each player (Mafia too!) votes on who they think the Mafia is. The person with the most votes will be killed. The Mafia obviously know who the Mafia is, and therefore, they will try to vote for someone other than the Mafia in order to get them killed.

In addition to Mafia, there are a number of special roles, namely, Guardian Angel and Detective. The Guardian Angel is rather self explanatory. At the same time the Mafia chooses their victim, the Guardian Angel chooses somebody to protect. If it so happens that the Angel protected the same person the Mafia chose to kill off, that person will not be killed. The Guardian Angel IS allowed to protect herself. Because of this, if the only remaining players are at least one Mafia and the Guardian Angel, the game will automatically come to a tie: the Guardian Angel will continue to protect herself, and any remaining Mafia will continue to attack her, but she will never die.

The Detective has no means of protecting herself, but rather, during the same time the Mafia and Guardian Angel choose to kill and save respectively, the Detective can investigate any player. Investigating a player will automatically reveal their role to the Detective and only the Detective. Therefore, a Detective has the easiest time of sniffing out who the Mafia are, but she cannot reveal that player's role to anybody else. In addition, nobody knows who the Detective is except the Detective herself. However, the Detective knows who the Mafia is, and will continue to vote for her during the voting phase, so any non-Mafia need to catch on and vote for the same person.

Anyone who is not a Mafia, Guardian Angel or Detective is a Civilian. Civilians have no special abilities, and so they do nothing during the first phase where the Mafia chooses who to kill off, rather, all they can do is vote.

So let me give you an example of one round of the game: Let's say the Mafia is Kaguya, and she chooses to kill of Mokou. However, Mokou is the Guardian Angel and chooses to protect herself, and so, she is not killed. At the same time, however, Reimu, the Detective, determines the Mafia's identity, and votes for Kaguya the next turn. Mokou also votes for Kaguya the next turn, and Kaguya votes for Mokou, however, since Kaguya has two votes and Mokou has one, Kaguya is killed and the game is over, because there are no more remaining Mafia.

The Game Master for this first game will be myself, Kogasa Tatara. After this game is over, a new Game Master is randomly selected. The Game Master's role is to announce the killings each turn, and the Mafia, Guardian Angel and Detective need to PM to the Game Master who they want to kill, save and investigate respectively. Registration will occur until 7:00 AM Tuesday, EST, at which point roles will be assigned and the game will start. Have fun, everyone!

EDIT: Current Game:

Round Seven
Gamemaster: Hong Meiling
Player List:
1. Aya Shameimaru
2. Kogasa Tatara
3. Rumia
4. Nitori Kawashiro
5. Ichirin Kumoi
6. Mima
7. Shikieiki Yamaxanadu
8. Rikako Asakura
9. Lily White
10. Minoriko Aki

Players with their names in red are dead. Everyone else is alive.

by the way guys don't even try to sign up with your main AND your alt because that's just dumb
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Re: GENSOKYO MAFIA

Postby Eirin Yagokoro » 14 Dec 2009 01:48

How many mafia are in this setup? What're the number of players you're aiming for?
Eirin Yagokoro
Main Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 14 Dec 2009 02:08

Eirin Yagokoro wrote:How many mafia are in this setup? What're the number of players you're aiming for?

Haven't decided. If there are maybe six or less players, then there's probably only going to be one, but otherwise, most likely two. Regardless of the number of mafia, though, there's only going to be one killing per turn.

As for the number of players? I'm shooting for at least seven or eight, hopefully ten. If there aren't enough players then I'll likely extend the registration phase. It's more fun if there are more people, though.
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Shikieiki Yamaxanadu » 14 Dec 2009 02:31

I'll join! Can't have a rash of killings without a judge! 8D
Shikieiki Yamaxanadu
Free Character

Postby Nitori Kawashiro » 14 Dec 2009 02:56

Ah yes, this ole gem of a forum game.

Never see a mafia one, though. Always werewolf. Sorta prefer the werewolf vibe over mafia, but oh well. I'll join.
Nitori Kawashiro
Main Character

Postby Marisa Kirisame » 14 Dec 2009 03:28

I've always seen the werewolf version too, but I never knew it was a forum game. How I've seen it, it's played in person by a dozen or so people and a moderator. Since there's usually a lot of people there's no Guardian Angel or Detective, but instead a Vigilante. Like the werewolves, he's gets to specify people he wants to kill, but the Vigilante only wants to kill the werewolves.

But anyway, I'm in.
Marisa Kirisame
Main Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 14 Dec 2009 04:19

I am so in.
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Eirin Yagokoro » 14 Dec 2009 04:35

Marisa Kirisame wrote:I've always seen the werewolf version too, but I never knew it was a forum game. How I've seen it, it's played in person by a dozen or so people and a moderator. Since there's usually a lot of people there's no Guardian Angel or Detective, but instead a Vigilante. Like the werewolves, he's gets to specify people he wants to kill, but the Vigilante only wants to kill the werewolves.

But anyway, I'm in.

Mafia's often played both in person and on the forums, games in person just take a much shorter time.

Kogasa Tatara wrote:
Eirin Yagokoro wrote:How many mafia are in this setup? What're the number of players you're aiming for?

Haven't decided. If there are maybe six or less players, then there's probably only going to be one, but otherwise, most likely two. Regardless of the number of mafia, though, there's only going to be one killing per turn.

rvs lynch++

Against my better judgement, /in :P lol if I get town doc
Eirin Yagokoro
Main Character

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 14 Dec 2009 13:02

Despite my oath not to play, i hope we won't get WoT's this round..

/in
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 15 Dec 2009 12:11

Roles have been distributed, guys! Get cracking. Mafia, Guardian Angel, Detective, you guys have exactly 24 hours to make your moves. Once all of you have acted OR once 24 hours has passed, the killings/savings will be announced and the first voting phase begins.

Because there were only six players, this round only has one Mafia.
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 15 Dec 2009 20:21

All Special Players have made their moves. Let the slaughtering begin.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tonight was a full moon. Hardly appreciated. Each full moon brought back memories of that one time... The space nurse shook her head. She had important business to take care of today.

The gateguard allowed her inside, but she seemed especially on edge that night. She kept blabbering nonsense about the Chinese god of disasters, "Taisui Xingjun" or something. Eirin paid her no mind, but she was thankful at least for the gateguard's concern.

Eventually they reached the room of the head maid, Sakuya Izayoi. "W-we're here..." stuttered Meiling, still appearing highly shaken. She opened the door for her, and Eirin went inside. The door shut, and after several long minutes of anxious waiting outside, Meiling was called in by Eirin. "She wants to see you," called Eirin, and so Meiling went inside-

-and found herself face-to-face with a giant catfish.

In a heroic manuever, Meiling uppercutted the catfish and made a dash for Eirin in an attempt to protect her. But it was too late. The catfish reeled, then slammed on the floor and opened its maw. Meiling, now shoving the guest out of the room, tripped on one of the catfish's whiskers, and fell down. The catfish inhaled deeply, swallowing the gateguard whole.

While inside the catfish's belly, Meiling executed her killing move, thrusting her fist into the catfish's stomach. The catfish ruptured in a burst of rainbowy goodness, but the explosion dislodged a large spork from the kitchen just above. The spork fell on Meiling's head, splitting her skull in two.

The Mafia has killed the Guardian Angel, Hong Meiling.

And so the next morning a poll was taken in order to determine the killer of the gateguard.

((Cast your votes. Meiling gets no vote because she's dead. D:))
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 16 Dec 2009 00:01

By the way guys, you're supposed to place your votes in the topic itself. Please don't PM them to me. Actions by Special Players (Mafia, Angel, Detective) MUST be done privately, but votes can be and should be done publicly.
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Nitori Kawashiro » 16 Dec 2009 00:05

(( Well no, if the mafia wants to be public let them~))

Irrelvantly.

Nitori, the shy and ever elusive kappa, votes for Sikieiki Yamaxanadu.
Nitori Kawashiro
Main Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 16 Dec 2009 00:23

Meiling bleeds.

Her ghost sobs quietly.

_, ,_ ∩
( ゚∀゚)彡 えーりん!えーりん!
   ⊂彡

Apparently saving the doctor does not help your chances against Sporks.
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Shikieiki Yamaxanadu » 16 Dec 2009 00:39

The great Judge of Paradise, in all her magnificent wisdom, votes for Marisa!
Shikieiki Yamaxanadu
Free Character

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion