It begins....

A place for members to show their creative side.
Forum rules
Have any Touhou inspired fan art or fanfiction? Do you like to play with graphics in image editing software? Do you make music? If you do anything creative at all, this is the place to put it. Knock yourself out!

It begins....

Postby Hong Meiling » 18 Mar 2011 09:14

Hong Meiling
Main Character

Re: It begins....

Postby Hong Meiling » 18 Mar 2011 09:18

I've mentioned it once in the IRC channel, but because of Flan, I'm working on a Kyubey plush. People asked for images, and since I knew that would happen, I decided to take pictures since day 1.

Before anyone sees these images though, I just want to emphasize that this was my first test.
That means I picked up a piece of cloth (Something cheap I had for testing) cut it as per what "Looked about right" and then started to sew it together. This is the barest of bones of the creation, and there will be inevitable problems often along the way.

Even so, its a good start, and I know how to fix nearly all the problems presented. And so, in the following post, I will start posting images of Proto-Kyubey v.1.0.
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 18 Mar 2011 09:45

Drafting and Cutting
The process originally started with paper and pen. While I had a base pattern to work off of, this pattern was for a small-headed kitty. While my first instincts told me to edit the pattern in photoshop, I was too lazy, and I thought that it would be easier to work out the kinks if I worked from the original pattern and made as few changes as possible.

The traced pattern. I stuck to the original as much as possible, drafting up a new tail and the additional ear-tails by hand.

Here, you can see the cut pieces. Being an idiot, I cut out double what I needed for some bits, and half of what I needed for others. I apparently forgot I was cutting on the fold. Oops.

Sewing and Stuffing
This would be the hard part, and I knew it. The fabric I had on hand was delicate cotton made for curtains, and it had a hard time sticking up to stitching. I knew that against the pressure of the stuffing, the fabric wouldn't last long. I decided to use a contrasting thread because [s]it was already in my machine[/s] if there were any problems, I'd be able to see what was going on much easier.

Kyubey's tail proved a problem for me. I knew that I wanted it as large as the body, but I didn't know how to keep it full while still being able to keep it inside the body when it came time to attach the tail. I circumvented this problem by cutting a small tear in the seam of the tail, which I later slip-stitched closed.

Kyubey's creation was not, however, without sacrifice. Because I [s]was too lazy to go to the store[/s] wanted to use only material on hand (For the environment!), I finally decided to break into the bear that I was planning on tossing. Yay for reusing!

A peculiar detail, the bear's throat had already been mysteriously slit when I finally went to do the deed. Most interesting...
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 18 Mar 2011 09:54

ProtoKyubey v.1.0

First and foremost, his head came out WAY too small. The stitching is sloppy and the entire thing is lumpy because of the fabric stretching and warping from the pressure of the stuffing. Face also proved a problem, but in keeping with the idea of "Using only things on hand" a ball-point pen and a sharpie had to do. "Pink parts" were died on with food coloring, which will surely wash out with water. His jewelry are some old gold bangles I got from my step-mom, however, they will quickly be replaced with cheap rings when I get the chance.

Sloppy stitching on tail will be less visible when the next one is made in fleece. Also, lessen the curve on the back of the head.

Fabric dye for the pink parts, and shank button eyes. Those alone will make vast improvements.

While the head was from the original pattern, I am probably going to scrap it all together. It came out lumpy and about a third of the size it should be.

So, with my list of improvements to make, I now know how to proceed when I work on the next Kyubey. ProtoKyubey v.1.0 will probably go live with a friend, spending the rest of his life amongst all my other "Failed" experiments for stuffed animals. He will have many friends, don't worry.
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 18 Mar 2011 09:55

And thus ends the experiment of ProtoKyubey v.1.0.

Once I get to the fabric store, work will begin on ProtoKyubei v.2.0. Changes will be made to the fabric, the dyes, the face, as well as the entire pattern for the head. I may also draft longer legs for him as well.

We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted with images every step of the way, though.
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 18 Mar 2011 21:01

Update:

The fluffy white creatures seem to have reached some form of understanding. I'm scared...
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Reimu Hakurei » 19 Mar 2011 03:49

what have you done

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Reimu Hakurei
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Hong Meiling » 26 Apr 2011 01:21

It continues.

Incubator v.1.0b is made by a friend. He will not be reworked.

Marlowe also has battled with this Incubator, and has proven the victor in the battle. He might be the only thing keeping us safe...
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Shikieiki Yamaxanadu » 26 Apr 2011 01:24

hay coobie. i can be meguca yet?

Wunnerful wunnerful~ I can see the charming glint in his eye~ I'd totally buy one~
Shikieiki Yamaxanadu
Free Character

Postby Reimu Hakurei » 26 Apr 2011 22:32

You fool

YOU'VE DOOMED US ALL
Reimu Hakurei
Forum/IRC Moderator

Return to Art and Fanfiction