[MAFIA] Gensokyo P.D

Discuss anything and everything. Really.

Re: [MAFIA] Gensokyo P.D

Postby Koishi Komeiji » 16 Jun 2013 00:15

Interesting. Before I start analyzing though, let's get the next investigations out.

Koishi stood by as the others argued about their next course of action. She, on the other hand, was having none of it, instead staring, peering closely into the tanuki lounging around.

"That's it!" She jumped and clapped. "Mamizou is definitely innocent!"

"....Wait what's she innocent of again?"
Koishi Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Rin Satsuki » 17 Jun 2013 06:07

Vote Count One
"The GPD Works 24/7, Get Back To The Station" Edition

Alice Margatroid: 0 Votes (Nobody), 0 FoS (Nobody)
Koishi Komeiji: 0 Votes (Nobody), 0 FoS (Nobody)
Kotohime: 0 Votes (Nobody), 0 FoS (Nobody)
Mamizou Futatsuiwa: 0 Votes (Nobody), 0 FoS (Nobody)
Merlin Prismriver: 0 Votes (Nobody), 0 FoS (Nobody)

With five alive, it takes three to lynch.

Current Deadline: 2400 UTC, Friday 28 June
Deadline Review: 2400 UTC, Monday 24 June
Rin Satsuki
Software Admin

Postby Mamizou Futatsuiwa » 17 Jun 2013 09:52

So what I'm seein' here is that either nobody has anything they can extrapolate from the information so far, or nobody wants to talk for fear of damning themselves.

Come on guys. If I need to get this ball rolling, I will, and it's not going to make anybody happy.

But me. Ohohoho.

What man can truly be strong, who knows not the sea?
Mamizou Futatsuiwa
Free Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 17 Jun 2013 10:49

I got nothing at that moment, just something to muse over, so I was waiting for somebody to else who might actually have anything to say. Apparently, it's not working so well. Fine, then.

Vote: Alice Margatroid

She was awfully defensive about her argument on whether or not we should reveal our investigation result. From what I can tell, the traitor doesn't have any investigation result to reveal, and it might be difficult to fake one. Moreover, she later revealed her investigation as "Kotohime is loyal. " As Koishi and I can vouch, the investigation result use the word "Innocent." It might just be paraphrasing, as Alice claimed, but I find it odd.

Loyal isn't exactly the word you think of, if the one you saw was "Innocent." It's more like the word you think of if you want to say the opposite of "traitor," which, if Alice is lying about her result, the word she saw first.
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Koishi Komeiji » 17 Jun 2013 17:42

While the fact that Alice was the first to have an innocent report lends weight to that argument; I feel it leads more to a finger of suspicion than straight to lynching.

The way I see it, this game is meant to be one of process of elimination, slowly whittling down who can be what kind of cop until we have an anomaly. We already know who isn't Naive and who isn't Paranoid, but obviously that's not enough.

Therefore, I believe we should wait for further evidence.

Vote: No Lynch

If it matters though, I will attest to the fact that the term used is indeed "Innocent".
Koishi Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 17 Jun 2013 19:35

I understand your points Merlin, but not only do I know that I'm innocent, I also think that kind of eagerness to grasp at minor things is dangerous. Disagreements happen and people are going to go to bat for them, the bigger question is whether they keep doing so after it threatens to create a major rift in the unity of the town or sabotaging a majority view. I believe I didn't do that, but if I did then I apologize, I was simply trying to express what I believe is of the greatest use for us. The majority disagreed with me and that's really all there is to it.

word associations are tricky and highly personal things. My choice of saying loyal was based on a niggling irritation at the term innocent seeming wrong for the narrative framing of the game right when it started. So I went with what felt correct to me when paraphrasing, given how direct quoting generally isn't allowed, though for some reason it is here.

The exact line in my pm was: "Your investigation shows Kotohime to be Innocent."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Rin Satsuki » 17 Jun 2013 20:41

The traitor's already seen these, but here they are for everyone's benefit:
  • "Your investigation shows Rin Satsuki to be Innocent."
  • "Your investigation shows Rin Satsuki to be a Traitor".

Also, your investigations all show Rin Satsuki to be an Airhead. This setup is prone to metagaming with the wording of the investigation PMs given that you'd expect only the cops to see them, and the usual rule against quoting PMs doesn't quite nullify that. If I run this setup again I'll just put them in the OP alongside the role PMs next time around instead of showing the traitor what they're worded like.

Also no you may not lynch the mod, as tempting as that may be.
Rin Satsuki
Software Admin

Postby Mamizou Futatsuiwa » 17 Jun 2013 20:48

Hoh. I'll go ahead and verify that Alice's PM fits the same pattern as mine. That is to say, it is definitely the actual text of the PM, as is Kotohime's. Saya confirmed this as I was writing the post.

Whether the exact text of the PMs was intended to become an issue, I can't say.

This seems like a good time to bring another thing that's been steamin' my spellcards to everyone's attention, though.

Take a trip back with me, if you will, to the scenic vistas of page 2, when we hadn't yet decided whether it was worth showing investigation results. It was Koishi, Merlin, and myself in favor, and Kotohime and Alice opposed. Koishi was the first to suggest the idea of just showing everything off, Merlin quickly agreed, and I did too, showing my investigation immediately.

Then Merlin agreed with me, but showed...nothing. Not until two more investigations had been shown.

Now, from what I can see, the advantageous thing for the traitor to do would be to wait until near the end of the investigations - that way, there was zero chance of them doubling up in a way that would seem suspicious. Going fourth would be a way to appear more pro-town without taking a significant risk - the last person to give their investigation would naturally look more suspicious.

Also of note, the result of her investigation - Koishi Komeji is Innocent. Now, if we were to look at the others, those are...

Alice Margatroid is a traitor.
Kotohime is innocent.
Koishi Komeji is a traitor.
and afterward, one she couldn't have predicted: Mamizou Futatsuiwa is innocent.

Koishi and myself were the only strong targets she could choose for a false investigation, as I hadn't been mentioned yet and because Koishi couldn't investigate herself - there was no danger of creating a triple-investigation on either of us and accidentally helping us 'confirm' someone's cop role, only to have it disproven immediately in the next round. 'Innocent' was also the only logical choice at that point; again, partly because Koishi hadn't gone yet and could have given a guilty verdict and because it was the most likely to fit the role pattern (likewise, Koishi gave an 'innocent' verdict).

Now. I'm not saying any of this is fact - it's all conjecture, based on a possibility, based on the questionable evidence-gathering techniques of a paranoid old raccoon-dog. But I would like to know:

Why, Merlin, if you agreed so readily that we should show evidence...Why didn't you do so upfront, as soon as I threw mine out, in the post directly after?

I'm also curious as to why you were so quick to start waving the rope at Alice for such a trivial thing as the phrasing of an investigation. Especially after it was already stated that the best way for the town to win is to avoid a lynch for the time being and not shorten our time limit.

I cast the Kiseru of Suspicion at Merlin Prismriver - that is to say, as far as I'm concerned at this moment, Merlin Prismriver is the traitor.

So. What do you think, everyone?

(PS. I also request that the mod state 'Your investigations show Rin Satsuki to be an Airhead' in red.)
Mamizou Futatsuiwa
Free Character

Postby Koishi Komeiji » 18 Jun 2013 05:19

While I don't necessarily agree with a long plan on who to fake the report on, I do find it suspicious to post after investigations started being revealed and then purposefully and visibly withholding that information until near the end.

Though, regarding the jump on Alice; I get the feeling Merlin is just restless about this whole thing. I doubt any traitor would be so quick to jump on the gun, but it does get me asking; Was there a reason you were so quick to nitpick?

As for suspicions though, I'm staying put. My policy is that nothing really means anything until a day or two has passed for me to compare attitudes and reports.

Same goes for my vote. I'm more of an empirical kind of gal in Mafia.
Koishi Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 18 Jun 2013 10:07

Merlin, you're fingerpointing miss. Do you know what you're doing?

Yeah, yeah she does. Fingerpointing, at the moment, seems to be a fine thing to do. Something itches there, and when something itches, she
has to scratch it. It's nothing big, she knew, but it's the only thing that she had at the moment, and it's going to nag at her until she spells it out. What other temperament are you expecting from a ghost who plays wild music all day?

Besides, the place was getting dull and she's getting restless. All she's good at, after all, is playing music and creating a big rouse to go along with it; something wild that'll get everyone's attention. It's working, doesn't it?

Koishi Komeiji wrote:I do find it suspicious to post after investigations started being revealed and then purposefully and visibly withholding that information until near the end.

I was waiting if everybody agrees on revealing it. Mamizou was revealing hers for a finishing to her argument, and I don't feel comfortable to jump before everyone else agrees. It's just feeling, which I admit isn't something you can trust on.

As for Alice, well, now that I see it, she really isn't much of a traitor. She knows the exact wording of the result, after all. Unvote it is, then.

Also, I was used to mafia games where voting No Lynch is a bad idea. But perhaps that's because it moves slowly and starts with many powerless players. Reading Koishi's post, and thinking about it, it doesn't seem that bad now. Less people dead but still with something to work on. Am not going to jump, though. What do you people think?
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Mamizou Futatsuiwa » 18 Jun 2013 10:36

That's pretty understandable, the number of players here is unusually low - looking for thin justifications to vote and narrowing down the pool of suspects would be a good idea in bigger games. This just happens to have a very tight limit for gathering information that just gets much tighter if we start lynching. Much like a noose!

I see your logic and as a person it's quite reasonable, but in the circumstance we're in - where we need to be looking for leads and clues - it's not enough to throw off my FoS. The reason we shouldn't lynch has been stated outright and there's been plenty of time to sit and think about the rules of this game.
Mamizou Futatsuiwa
Free Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 18 Jun 2013 15:13

At this point I don't think there's much I can do other than say that I largely agree with Mamizou's analysis, as well as Koishi's encouragement of restraint. I personally find Merlin's behavior suspicious as well, though it might well simply be paranoia or testing the waters to see how I would react when pushed a bit. However, it is still enough that I will keep my eyes on Merlin for now to see if she does anything to confirm or deny this.

Also, I would like to hear a bit more from Kotohime, given how she's more or less a cipher at the moment and might have useful thoughts to chime in with. The more people discuss and give each other material to work with, the better it is for the town, after all.
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 19 Jun 2013 11:31

@Mod & everybody else: I won't be around Thursday and Friday, and perhaps Saturday as well. Sort of a vacation.
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Kotohime » 20 Jun 2013 04:59

Suddenly, the door opens dramatically to reveal Kotohime, tied up and hopping into the room. Ignoring the staring policewomen, she hops into the center of the room, looks around, and spits out a ball of cloth. She looks around, sighs, and declares, "A funny thing happened on the way to kitchen."

Then she nods, everything fully explained.

BUUUUUUM BA BUM BUM.

but not really

I'm on vacation and our already-shaky wireless source just DIED. So I 'borrowed' (read: Kirisame Discount) a means of access this one time. I'll be stable again Friday or Saturday, my apologies

Um. As to the game, I usually don't declare suspicions unless pressed or it's necessary. I can interact, but that'd be interaction for imteraction's sake. Which is fine if that's what you need.

I think more evidence is needed, as our heads will play too many tricks on us if we start the Psychology Game.

Oh, and I find Merlin's upcoming absence most suspicious. Like she's fleeing the country for her "vacation".

Now if you'll excuse me, my dear old Granny in China needs my help. I'll just... be back after the statute of limitations has run out.

I MEAN SATURDAY.
Kotohime
Free Character

Postby Kotohime » 20 Jun 2013 05:01

Also, I think I just ruined my "Quietish Mystery Wild Card" image.

Poot.
Kotohime
Free Character

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion