[MAFIA] Gensokyo P.D

Discuss anything and everything. Really.

Re: [MAFIA] Gensokyo P.D

Postby Kotohime » 14 Jun 2013 16:35

"But... But..." Kotohime stammered, about to explain why shouting and running around was a great plan, when suddenly realization dawned on her. "Ohhhhhh," she nodded, eyes wide. "I get it. You mean that there's something bad going on here, so we have to be sneaky and clever about it." A moment of thought, and then, "I can do that."

In this setup, the most logical thing for me would be to wait until the second day before really making any small talk.

Then again, I don't think I've played this setup more than once, so I'm not sure of any better ideas, so I'll just sit back and speak when spoken to today.
Kotohime
Free Character

Postby Koishi Komeiji » 14 Jun 2013 16:43

In the nearby office refrigerator, a certain girl was... "Taking inventory" of the Official Gensokyo P.D. Stocks. "Mrffhgmrf?" She chimed up through a mouthful of rolls she was testing for consistency. Koishi swallowed the entire thing in one gulp. "Wait, what? This isn't a party?" A visible frown. "Besides, how do we know something's going on again? Also, where's the jam?"

Oh, really? I mean, you never know; It would be interesting if we all happened to investigate the same person, and even if not, ruling out who is and isn't what kind of cop seems like a great idea to me, even if we only have one to work off of. Remember, once someone dies, they can't exactly tell us anything; I'm all for revealing our reports, even if just for using later on instead of now.

Bottom line, I propose we give our investigations lest we regret it later on.
Koishi Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 14 Jun 2013 17:28

Wasn't actually a question for the mod, that. Just something to vent my latest frustration.

@Kotohime: I don't think waiting until Day 2 for "small talk" is a good idea. With this few people, if we have a Day 2, then we already have two men down already. By then we should already go way past the small talk part.
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 14 Jun 2013 17:30

And, yeah. I agree with Koishi. I'm all for showing my investigations today, if we're all on on it.
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 14 Jun 2013 18:38

On the other hand, showing investigations today runs the risk of false positives, especially if the traitor is clever about what claims to make. It might also well distract us from looking at the clues right in front of us to instead try to wring meaning out of the pattern of distribution of innocent and guilty calls.
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mamizou Futatsuiwa » 15 Jun 2013 03:01

Arright, let's get down to brass tacks.

Setting flavor aside, I'd love for either of you (Kotohime or Alice) to explain to me how not giving what could be important information - some of which we'll lose after the mafia kill tonight, if we don't see it today - is helpful for the town at all. At best, it feels like a way to make sure you're not targeted for the kill, and that shouldn't be the town's priority. If it is, then we've already lost this.

I can see not wanting to cause confusion or force some unwarranted suspicion with our as-yet-unreliable investigations, but everyone here knows the conditions of the game. We all know that the investigations today aren't reliable; they merely become reliable using tomorrow's as a frame of reference, and once we can start working out what everyone's cop role is, we can use the investigation of the dead player from today (singular, because it would also be a terrible idea to lynch right now for reasons I can explain if they aren't evident) as a little more information.

This doesn't take into account that someone will be lying, but if we lay out all the information and assume each one of us is a liar in turn, then we can reach a conclusion. But for Shinki's sake, clamming up is going to do nothing but hurt us. I'm only bothering to spell it out like this because at least one of you isn't scum.

For the sake of not being a hypocrite, regardless of what other people do, this is the result of my investigation:

Alice Margatroid is a traitor.

And your proposition to withhold information isn't helping me believe I'm not the sane cop here.
What man can truly be strong, who knows not the sea?
Mamizou Futatsuiwa
Free Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 15 Jun 2013 06:38

Merlin was playing her trumpet. A small, meaningless dribbles of notes. She was thinking, which is a new thing for her, and she kinda like it. Unfortunately, thinking kinda distracted her from whatever song she first meant to play. Maybe if somebody's listening, they might hear her train of thoughts. Or maybe she's crazy. Only one of them is sane, after all.

We don't actually have anything to go on, other than our own investigation. So I'm curious as what you think is the clue in front of us, Alice. There's the possibility of false positives, yes. But it's better than nothing.
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 15 Jun 2013 14:17

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear, Merlin. I didn't mean we had a clue yet, I meant that if we focus our energy to try to wring patterns out of the investigations we might overlook things that come up in conversation. Traditional scum hunting and tracking down people by what they say is going to be as useful here as in any other game and I'm worried that we might stare ourselves blind at our roles instead. Especially since we most likely won't have useful information until day 3 and if we lynch even once, there won't be a day 3. It can happen if somebody has a clever idea about how to leverage our disparate sanities or if the scum screws up, I simply think the chance of either of those happening is smaller than the risk of losing track of what's important.

However, it's all pointless since I'm pretty sure we have a majority for revealing investigations and then of course we do so.
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 15 Jun 2013 14:19

Especially since I misread Mamizou and that wasn't a finger, but the actual result of investigation and we have already begun.

My investigation said that:

Kotohime is loyal
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 15 Jun 2013 14:24

And one last thing since we're sharing. The way the traitor can screw up is by calling somebody as the same as two other people. With the set up of sanities as two mirrored sets, there will always be two people for whom any given person would look innocent and two for whom they'd look guilty, so if three people call the same, one of them is lying.
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Kotohime » 15 Jun 2013 17:49

I hadn't really thought of that, admittedly. I vaguely assumed there'd be some way, but that makes sense, what with the cop and insane cop always being opposites, as well as the paranoid and naive one.

The question is, what do then? Because if the three people possibly lying, that just tells us what we knew all along: That two to three people are suspicious, with one of them lying.

Anyway...

"Wait, guys!" Kotohime blurts out, "I've got it! Because... Because I did some 'criminal investigation' last night," she announces, using a creative term for 'Breaking and Entering', "and lookie what I found! This solved everything, right? Just take a look!"

My investigation shows Koishi Komeiji to be a Traitor.

She looks around the room, an idiotic grin plastered on her face. "This solves the crime, right?" A collective groan with some foreheadsmacking can be heard, and the policewoman starts to put two and two together.

"Oh. Nuts. I guess not."
Kotohime
Free Character

Postby Mamizou Futatsuiwa » 15 Jun 2013 18:18

We don't have enough information to make judgments today, but the verdicts of our investigations tomorrow will let us narrow down what roles we are and give everyone a better idea about the veracity of their claims, which can start pointing us in directions.

Today, it's all about behavior analysis.

The detective puffed on her kiseru, offering very little regarding this new evidence. It was as compelling as a gunpowder-stuffed doll, true, but...something was off. This smelled like wet, week-old garbage. Or a fox.

"Keep your pants on, kid. Hang every man in Gensokyo, and you'll have solved all the cases. That doesn't make it a good idea."
What man can truly be strong, who knows not the sea?
Mamizou Futatsuiwa
Free Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 15 Jun 2013 19:10

Mine: Koishi Komeiji is innocent

So, what we have so far...
- Alice Margatroid is a traitor - said Mamizou
- Kotohime is loyal - said Alice
- Koishi Komeiji is a traitor - said Kotohime
- Koishi Komeiji is innocent - said Merlin

Well, we have two opposite results for Koishi, and we have two results for traitors. Still can't really tell who is how sane, right now. And there's still not enough to make a clear analysis yet.

Merlin scratched her head with her a music laser, straight out of his trumpet. Man, this thinking thing might not be cut out for her after all. She should play more music. See if it can take reactions. Maybe somebody'll dance.
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 15 Jun 2013 19:13

... Wait. Hey, Alice. Does your investigation really says "loyal" in the result PM, or is that just you paraphrasing?

I might be a bit too paranoid here.
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 15 Jun 2013 19:19

It's me paraphrasing, it seemed more flavorful than innocent given that we're talking about traitors to a group rather than the usual question of suspects and innocents. I'll stick to absolutely correct phrasing in the future if it keeps your mind at east.
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion