Touhou Hikikomori RPG: Doujinshi Alice Edition

Discuss anything and everything. Really.

Re: Touhou Hikikomori RPG: Doujinshi Alice Edition

Postby Yukari Yakumo » 19 May 2013 10:23

This is only going to end with Marisa being sucked into Alice's hobby of making "realistic dolls".

It's inevitable.
Yukari Yakumo
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Patchouli Knowledge » 19 May 2013 10:38

And the winning votes are:
Rescuer: Marisa Kirisame for the third Trait and,
Perversion: Anatomically Correct Dolls for the nature of Alice's Perversion.

Taking a moment to roll for the kind of Rescuer that Marisa will be:
<@Patchouli_Knowledge> Rescuer archetype: 1-5 Coaxing, 6-9 Crusader, 10 Hypocrite
<@Patchouli_Knowledge> `roll 1d10
<GameServ> Patchouli_Knowledge rolled 1d10: 5 <Total: 5>

A result of 5 means that she is a Coaxing Rescuer, with starting dice of 3d10 and knows better than to push Alice too far.

And now a quick rundown of Alice and her statistics for this playthrough:

Alice Margatroid, the Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Hope: 3d10
Traits:
- Rescuer: Marisa Kirisame (Coaxing; 3d10)
- Perversion: Anatomically Correct Dolls (3d10)
- Suicidal Thoughts (3d10)

Alice Margatroid is a doll-controlling magician who lives in the Forest of Magic. One of her goals is to create a completely autonomous living doll, but after having made countless efforts with ultimately unsuccessful results, frustration has been taking it's toll on her pride and self-esteem.

Though she would like nothing more than to seek comfort in the company of others, Alice has grown to fear that she would be mocked and rejected due to her self-perceived inadequacy as a magician. As a result, she is too shy and timid to approach others openly, instead distantly watching people she likes or admires and making doll replicas of them. She then lavishes her care and affection upon these dolls in an elaborate fantasy of hers, treating them as if they were the real thing and that she has actual relationships with them. However, she also realizes how pathetic she is for not being able to face these people in real life and sometimes finds herself questioning the point of living if she can't even make her hopes and dreams come true.

Fortunately, despite her seemingly bleak situation, Alice has someone looking out for her. Her closest neighbor, Marisa Kirisame, has noticed how increasingly reclusive she has gotten recently, and after some observing made in secret, the black-white witch has taken it upon herself to pull Alice out of her depression.

Whew, that took a while to write down, I hope you guys like my explanation for Alice's three traits. Anyway, time to proceed with Day 1. Stay tuned for the next update, which hopefully will be in one or two days' time!
A Locked Diary: Patchouli's Secret Journal
Spellcards: Patchouli Knowledge

Patchy's IRC channel: #Patchy's_Library at irc.darkmyst.org
Patchy's PbP forum: http://ronintorch.fallenash.com
Patchouli Knowledge
Main Character

Postby Patchouli Knowledge » 21 May 2013 05:07

Trait rolls for Day 1:
<@Patchouli_Knowledge> Dice roll for Rescuer trait
<@Patchouli_Knowledge> `roll 3d10
<GameServ> Patchouli_Knowledge rolled 3d10: 5 10 3 <Total: 18>
<@Patchouli_Knowledge> Dice roll for Perversion trait
<GameServ> Patchouli_Knowledge rolled 3d10: 7 8 2 <Total: 17>
<@Patchouli_Knowledge> Dice roll for Suicidal Thoughts
<GameServ> Patchouli_Knowledge rolled 3d10: 7 5 10 <Total: 22>

Results:
- Marisa's efforts to cheer Alice up today will not do a lot (will be written in later)
- Perversion: Alice goes out to do something related to her perversion, but fails and ends up being mildly depressed.
- Suicidal Thoughts: Will depend on voter input (see below).

Day 1.

Alice wakes up, reluctantly getting out of bed. Outside, the sun had long since risen. Lately, getting out of bed late had become normal for the puppeteer magician, simply because she had nothing to look forward to doing on any given day. It was all the same - eat to distract herself, play with her dolls to distract herself, and put off doing her living doll research.

As Alice padded towards her kitchen, still just in a nightie and her hair uncombed, she passed by a table with some unfinished dolls, wood shavings and tools messily placed on it's surface. She paused to take a look at her unfinished creations, reaching over to pick one up. "Oh... it's been a while since I worked on you." she spoke to the doll. She then studied it closely... it had long brown hair and a red ribbon to the back. The doll had no clothes yet, and the body was still quite rough in it's appearance.

"Oh, poor Reimu!" she then exclaimed, putting the doll down. She taps the unfinished Reimu doll on the nose and then gave an embarassed little giggle. "I... I should finish working on her. Marisa must be getting lonely without her around. ButIneedtomakesureIgetthedetailsright!"

Blushing and giggling nervously, Alice scampered to her wardrobe and threw on one of her blue and white dresses, then hurriedly ran a comb a few times on her hair. After a quick glance in the mirror, the puppeteer slipped out of her house and flew in the direction of the Hakurei shrine.

A few hours later, the door to Alice's house opened, and Alice herself stepped in with a disappointed sigh. "Ah, she wasn't there... I can't finish making Reimu." She plops down tiredly on the first chair she could reach, then shakes her head sadly at herself. "I'm so stupid! Setting off like that and not knowing if somebody would be out... oh, what am I even good for?" Sighing again, Alice huddled around herself miserably for a few moments, rocking a bit in her chair. Then, shaking her head again, the puppeteer rose to her feet and went to her workshop. There, her gaze fell on one of the razor-sharp blades that she used to arm her dolls with. She stared at her reflection on the stainless steel surface...

(The rules state that when Suicidal Thoughts come into play, one has to roll their Hope dice in an effort to resist it. However, Alice has a Rescuer, and with it, she can use Rely On action! Using Rely On will use up one of her three Player Actions for the day, but it will let Alice add Marisa's trait dice to her Hope roll. It also automatically adds one die to Marisa's trait dice.)

Alice is now contemplating suicide. Does she:
[ ] Rely on Marisa?
[ ] Rely only on herself?

Patchouli Knowledge
Main Character

Postby Lyrica Prismriver » 21 May 2013 05:30

I vote for Alice trying to work it out on her own. Here's hoping we don't end up killing her this quickly.
Lyrica Prismriver
Free Character

Postby Youmu Konpaku » 21 May 2013 13:56

I would like Marisa to help out, since I would like to see how the two interact. It is also safer.

But it makes no sense if Alice is the one that runs off to Marisa, so relying on herself is the more obvious choice here and more fitting to her character. Poor Alice has already been warped enough. >_<
Youmu Konpaku
Main Character

Postby Sunny Milk » 21 May 2013 17:38

Rely on herself. Alice is an independent woman who don't need no witch!
Sunny Milk
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 21 May 2013 18:10

I fully understand Youmu's dilemma here. Especially with a side order of not really wanting her to off herself this quickly...Eh, rely on yourself. Alice isn't some codependent damsel in distress.
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Patchouli Knowledge » 24 May 2013 06:31

[x] Rely only on herself.

<@Patchouli_Knowledge> 3d10 Hope Roll for Alice to resist committing suicide
<Mima> Patchouli_Knowledge rolled 3 10-sided dice. < 7 10 10 > Total: 27 (27).

Hope 27 vs. Suicidal Thoughts 22 (Successfully resisted)

As she continued to stare at her reflection in the blade, a spark of hope flickers in Alice's eyes. "Maybe... it's not so bad... maybe today will get better..." she mumbles to herself. She turns around, walks out of her workshop and dropped herself into a chair in her living room.

A few moments later, there is a loud knocking on the front door. "Hey, Alice! Are you home?" a familiar voice asked, also loud enough to be heard clearly through the sturdy wood that made up the door. Picking herself up, Alice moved to answer the door. It was Marisa. What was more, she carried a cloth-covered basket with her. The black-white witch beamed a smile at the puppeteer and uncovered the basket, which turned out to contain chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, freshly baked and crisp.

"Hehe, I was baking cookies and I made extra, so I thought that maybe you'd like to have some." Marisa explained, holding the basket out for Alice to take. The puppeteer then gave a simple nod, not sure what to make of this sudden, unexpected visit. A cynical thought was in the back of her mind, "What does Marisa want from me today?"

"Uh, thanks." she said out loud, reluctantly accepting the cookie basket.

Three player actions for the day. What three things should Alice do?
[ ] Generic Player Action (Do Nothing, Go Outside, Suicide Attempt, Waste Time)
[ ] Rescuer Player Action (Ignore, Probe, Scare Away)
[ ] Perversion Player Action (Indulge, Suppress)
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts Player Action (Cheer Up)

Patchouli Knowledge
Main Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 24 May 2013 06:56

Vote: Probe

Cookie, you say? I wonder why you bother giving it to me...
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 24 May 2013 14:02

Yeah, probing sounds good.
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Sunny Milk » 24 May 2013 18:48

Indulge!
Sunny Milk
Main Character

Postby Youmu Konpaku » 24 May 2013 20:26

Probe, Go Outside, Cheer Up! \o/
Youmu Konpaku
Main Character

Postby Patchouli Knowledge » 28 May 2013 06:26

(Note: It seems I derped, and that whenever Perversion rises to the fore, you have to choose Suppress or Indulge. Turns out what happens is that I automatically had chosen Indulge for it. Also, only two player actions because of that. Choosing Probe and Cheer Up as the winning choices!)

[x] Probe Marisa's motives

<@Patchouli_Knowledge> Rescuer trait roll for Alice probing Marisa's motivation
<@Patchouli_Knowledge> 3d10
<Mima> Patchouli_Knowledge rolled 3 10-sided dice. < 7 10 7 > Total: 24 (24).<@Patchouli_Knowledge> Cheer Up contested roll, Hope dice
<@Patchouli_Knowledge> 4d10
<Mima> Patchouli_Knowledge rolled 4 10-sided dice. < 3 7 9 7 > Total: 26 (26).
<@Patchouli_Knowledge> Cheer Up contested roll, Suicidal Thoughts dice
<Mima> Patchouli_Knowledge rolled 3 10-sided dice. < 10 8 9 > Total: 27 (27).

Results:
- Probe 15+, Coaxing Rescuer (Gain a die of Hope)
- Cheer Up: Hope 26 versus Suicidal Thoughts 27 (Nothing happens)

An awkward silence passed for a few moments, with Marisa still standing at the doorway and Alice facing her, holding the basket of cookies.

Marisa then said, "...Well, I guess I'll be going. Hope you like those cookies!" She began to turn around, but then Alice stopped her. "Wait! Come back, I need to ask you something."

The puppeteer ushered Marisa into her house and then made the black-white witch sit down. Issuing commands to a couple of dolls, Alice had tea brought to the living room table, along with a platter for the cookies. The two then faced each other, with Marisa sitting on the couch and Alice on one of the side chairs.

After her first sip, Alice began. "So, Marisa. It's not every day that you ever bring me anything nice. What are you up to this time?" At that, Marisa gives a theatrical sigh. "All right, so you figured me out." The black-white leaned forward. "To tell you the truth, I was a little worried for you lately."

Alice replied to this answer with a small glare. "I'm fine. What made you worried about me?"

"I dunno, call it a hunch? You used to be working on your dolls a lot before, but now, I noticed that your house is pretty quiet. I don't know what happened, but whatever it is that's going on with you, I hope it doesn't get you down." With that, Marisa finished her tea and left.

"Guess I was wrong about her this time..." Alice thought as she continued to sip her tea alone. She gave a small sigh. "I can't believe somebody cares about me like that..."

Finishing her tea and some of the cookies, Alice got up and headed to her workshop, motivated by Marisa's words earlier. She spent the rest of the afternoon and evening immersed in her books and research, trying to see if any new insights would come to her today. Much to her annoyance however, no new idea pops up into her head, so the puppeteer frustratedly goes to bed for the night.

(Day 1 complete)

End of Day 1 summary of Alice's statistics:

Alice Margatroid, the Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Hope: 4d10
Traits:
- Rescuer: Marisa Kirisame (Coaxing; 3d10)
- Perversion: Anatomically Correct Dolls (3d10)
- Suicidal Thoughts (3d10)

Patchouli Knowledge
Main Character

Postby Patchouli Knowledge » 28 May 2013 06:37

Trait Rolls for Day 2:
<@Patchouli_Knowledge> Day 2 trait roll for Suicidal Thoughts
<Mima> Patchouli_Knowledge rolled 3 10-sided dice. < 9 10 7 > Total: 26 (26).
<@Patchouli_Knowledge> Contested Hope roll for Suicidal Thoughts
<@Patchouli_Knowledge> 4d10
<Mima> Patchouli_Knowledge rolled 4 10-sided dice. < 9 8 9 6 > Total: 32 (32).
<@Patchouli_Knowledge> Day 2 trait roll for Rescuer (Marisa)
<Mima> Patchouli_Knowledge rolled 3 10-sided dice. < 6 5 7 > Total: 18 (18).
<@Patchouli_Knowledge> Day 2 trait roll for Perversion: Anatomically Correct Dolls
<Mima> Patchouli_Knowledge rolled 3 10-sided dice. < 9 4 3 > Total: 16 (16).

Results:
- Rescuer: Marisa's efforts to cheer Alice up today will not do a lot
- Suicidal Thoughts: Alice has no compulsory suicide attempts today
- Perversion: Will depend on voter input (Indulge or Suppress?)
- 2 player actions for the day

Before I start writing Day 2, what will Alice do regarding her Perversion:
[ ] Indulge in her perversion?
[ ] Attempt to suppress her perversion?

Available player actions:
[ ] Generic Player Action (Do Nothing, Go Outside, Suicide Attempt, Waste Time)
[ ] Rescuer Player Action (Ignore, Scare Away)
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts Player Action (Cheer Up)

Patchouli Knowledge
Main Character

Postby Sunny Milk » 29 May 2013 05:15

Indulge

Go Outside

Cheer up!
Sunny Milk