Let's Play Vintage Games from Yore... with Touhous

Discuss anything and everything. Really.

Re: Let's Play Vintage Games from Yore... with Touhous

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 11 May 2013 04:24

Already full? Now that's what I'm talking about; touhous with attitude!

Stay tuned for a glowing, disembodied head critical mission details before we embark into the strange, sexist, educationally backwards, Dark Lord riddled kingdom of Alfland Alphland. Believe me, in a place where 'hunter' and 'hunter' are actually two separate occupations, you're going to need all the help you can get. No seriously, 'Mage' and 'Magician' are also two separate occupations. Reliable sources also confirm this isn't just a case of google translation at it again. (Though it's possible the second hunter was just a typo. We'll know for sure come time to pick your occupations out. Also, it is 'Bard' instead of 'Bird' and 'Knight' instead of 'Night'.)
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Ichirin Kumoi » 11 May 2013 14:51

Ah, my occupation is Monk, obviously :P
<RoboReimu> i'm pretty damn scary
Ichirin Kumoi
Forum Moderator

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 11 May 2013 20:05

Alright, I have some bad news guys. Turns out, Alphland is just a bit more sensible than I initially gave it credit for. The more awesome sound jobs? Yeah, they have some pretty hefty requirements.

Ichi, you're going to have to work you way up to monk. Well, if you want to be an awesome one anyways. You see, there are two schools of nunnery in this strange land. One slowly makes you more divine, and the other makes you more awesome. No really, the lowly monk occupation increases your divinity and has the school skill of 'dispel'. The one that will actually allow you to kill things gives +1 dexterity, +1 vitality, and -1 divinity and teaches you the rather potent sounding 'fighting jump'. (Knights get to learn it too, but knights are lame) I don't imagine you are the pacifist type of nun, which means you've got your work cut out for you.

Not only must monks be punchy, they must also be defendy and evady. In other words, a balanced fighter. You'll require 15 strength, 12 defense, and 13 dexterity before any good monastery here will even look at you. Easy, right? Well, not quite. See, the only job that gives both defense and dexterity, without lowering strength, is Doctor. Despite this, Doctors are required to have an IQ of at least 9 in order to practice medicine. Alphland is just full of these wonderful logic bombs.

Ok, so I take back what I said about sensibility now.

Anyways, you can start with blacksmith, which improves strength, vitality, and dexterity by 1, while holding one of the harshest occupation penalties of -2 to defense, and -1 to agility. After you become sufficiently more burly (I think Unzan would approve), you can enlist as a soldier in the militia. It will toughen up your defenses, but you'll get a bit dumber and lose some of your religion (+1 defense -1 intelligence, -1 divinity). I imagine this is ok though, since it's kinda hard to spread a message of peace as a punch happy youkai nun. Who needs smarts when you can punch harder, right?

Else, you can start as a soldier and transition to a blacksmith until you're Unzan approved. Either way will get you to that coveted fisticuff monkly status. (I hope at least.)

Aya, if you also wish to follow the way of the fist, monk is the closest thing there is to a brawler. Well, I guess you could be that hefty blacksmith that starts drunken bar fights on occasion, but something about 'tengu' and 'hefty' just doesn't seem right. Probably the fact that all blacksmiths are required by law to have a manly beard. (Ichi, you can always shave it off later `-`b). Alternatively, it's not the most impressive way to make a living, but Rangers are pretty respectable in their own right. I mean, anyone who can track down and take down bears and other face eating creatures is pretty cool in my book, bear hands or not. (Rangers get +1 to strength and agility, while losing -2 divinity)

Kanako, I can't imagine an occupation more fitting for you than Monarch. Why Monarch is a position you can sign up for anytime, no...why anyone would need more than one supreme ruler of all the land is beyond me. But hey, it's a pretty impressive sounding title all the same. (Maybe Ishtar is the Supreme Divine God Lord Monarch Majesty, and Monarch is several tiers down the chain in Alphland). Regardless, you have a little bit of work to do before you're ruling class worthy. (Ironically, far less work than death monk) Monarchs must be both strong and smart, (12 strength and intelligence); you'll slow down a bit, but you'll be that much more divine (-1 agility, +1 divinity), and you will learn to use scrolls. From what I understand, this essentially allows you to do magely things without being a squishy mage. Monarch is the only occupation deemed worthy of this skill this too.

One small caveat, the only job that makes you smarter is Fortune-teller, which saps 1 strength in exchange for 1 intelligence and divinity. While I have found that 7 BP is a thing, that only makes it possible to get either strength or intelligence to the proper level from the start. If you go with intelligence to begin with, you do have 3 job choices as opposed to 1 to raise your strength, but you'll be pretty weak to start. (Only 8 strength, still decently competent). No matter how you decide to go about it, you're probably going to have to work to separate jobs for a bit before you can move on up to being the ruling snake goddess Alphland needs.

Alice, you'll be able to just barely scrape together the training for the Magician's guild requires upon first setting out (14 intelligence, 8 divinity). Lucky you! There's also the 'Mage' school, which I'm assuming is the snooty elite class of magic-type people around these parts. They require more divinity of you (11 vs 8) but they will teach you the rather plainly named 'High Spell'. I can only hope this refers to something of the destructive blasty variety, and not the magical smoking herb variety.

Komachi, how does being a town Official sound to you? It's kinda similar to your current position under Eiki in Gensokyo, and it grants a nice defense gain of +2. You won't be as dexterous or agile, with -1 to each respectively, but I think this isn't too unfitting either. Not sure when or how the language skill might come in handy, but it sounds potentially useful. Maybe good for reading murals in ruins written in archaic languages which say 'Ishtar is the devil in disguise!'?

As far as moving up, the only high ranking job I see that is anything close to fitting is Ninja, but I think it might possibly interest Marisa more. Of course, if both of you want to be ninjas, I'm not going to complain about exponential party awesomeness gain. This brings me to...

Marisa, you mentioned the desire to be roguelike. I can't imagine anything more roguish than ninja. But man, are ninja's seriously well trained and tested (as they should be, we'd be overrun by loud, spiky haired, bright orange coat wearing kids otherwise!). 16 strength, 13 defense, 14 intelligence, 14 dexterity, 16 agility, and 12 divinity; ninja is the only job to have a stat requirement in all 6 possible required stats. Statwise, they only gain one vitality, while losing 1 divinity, but that skill man: 'Critical'. For all of the work required and the fact that they are freaking ninja, I can only hope this is a mistranslation of 'Critikill' or 'you die now!', an instant stealthy kill only worthy of ninja-kind. *Disclaimer, I am not responsible for if you spend your entire life training for an equivalent 'mixed martial arts' street fighting class run by the local foreman.

For things you can actually start with, Thief or Locksmith are probably the most Marisa-like occupations. Thief carries a strength decrease of 1, and a divinity decrease of 2, while netting you 2 agility. Locksmith loses 1 strength and defense while earning 1 dexterity and agility. Both teach the 'trap' skill, whatever that does. We'll have to figure out how to make you awesome enough all around for ninja badassery later.

That said, let me know what you all decide on for occupation and I can get your stats allocated properly. Please refer to the occupation list for minimum requirements for each job. Stat requirements are listed in the second table, the first shows the benefits and detriments of each job. Additionally, refer to the base stats for the class and gender you have chosen from my first post. I have found that 7BP does exist, and will aim to get it for everyone. Failing my ability to do so, I can guarantee 6BP, so pick your starting occupations with the assumption of 6BP to boost your starting stats. If you pick something you can't have yet, I will keep you as a farmer.

I do have a few more things to note in the meantime:

• The numbers by job names in game I thought were stat requirements? That's actually the amount you earn from that job. Yes, the standard of living is that poor. Monks get paid the most, and it's a measly 25 currency per month
  • From memory, your stats aren't affected by jobs exactly like you'd think. I'm not sure you gain/lose the listed stats for every level you gain, it could be every other level, or just some levels. I'm fairly sure your stats change altogether from leveling, however, I have no idea what it is based on. I would guess it uses your actual class (which can never be changed) and gender (pretty sure this can't be changed either, but gender changing curses wouldn't be new territory for rpgs...)
  • You actually have to report in to ol' Ishy before you can be promoted to the next level. If you have garnered enough experience points, you'll level up, with your occupation taking its toll on stats at this point. Otherwise, he'll tell you by how much you are not worthy of moving on up. Fairly nice of him to let you know, I suppose, though I really don't see why you should have to report in directly to the same man who approved two separate hunter's guilds. Like he's qualified to rate ninjas.
  • There are other ways to gain/lose stats. The easiest, from memory, is magic items and stuff you find laying around during your missions. It's never clear what will do what until you try it, you have been warned.
  • Back on the subject of 6 months in a year, I just realized that this makes everyone equivalently half their reported age on any sensible calendar. Everyone starts at the tender age of 17, which means that this is literally a band of 8-9 year olds taking on the Dark Lord.
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Aya Shameimaru » 11 May 2013 20:37

To note, I said fist simply because fighter, not that I want Aya to actually only use her fists. If I had to choose...make her be something that hits fast and hard, regardless of weapons.
Aya Shameimaru
Main Character

Postby Ichirin Kumoi » 11 May 2013 20:44

Oh well, I know at least that my divinity will suck, so no charisma at all :<
I think it's better to start with strength, because I wanna shatter things. Send the points to it and defense.
Ichirin Kumoi
Forum Moderator

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 11 May 2013 20:56

Honestly, as far as I can tell, jobs are mostly for gaining income and potentially useful skills. +/-1 or 2 seems pretty negligible, especially when you consider this is only on top of what you'll gain normally for your class. Ranger gains the right stats for "hit fast and hard" with +1 to strength and agility, but honestly, I'm fairly sure your job as a fighter is to hit hard, bare minimum. So anything that gives speed and doesn't take away strength should get you there.

The other point of jobs seems to be a way to gain vitality, which is the thing you need to avoid hitting zero for permadeath. Given how honestly negligible the occupation effects beyond income seems to be, I wouldn't put too much stock in jobs boosting your capacity how you envision. This is a game right out of 1991; misleading, getting your hopes up for nothing, and outright lying to you are all par for course. Trust no one.

Anyways, Ranger seems a pretty sensible choice for a journalist tengu expy. Rangers get the search ability. It's kinda like how Aya goes searching for trouble the latest scoops new ways to sensationalize media with slander and half truths...kinda. Anyways, you won't be a weakling with those stat gain bonuses. So does Ranger sound good to you?
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Aya Shameimaru » 11 May 2013 21:37

Ranger sounds fine to me Kogasa.
Aya Shameimaru
Main Character

Postby Marisa Kirisame » 11 May 2013 22:09

Let's go thief to ninja then. I'll be a stealin' stabby stabby fool. Just make sure to spread out the stats accordingly.
Marisa Kirisame
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 12 May 2013 19:39

I'll stick with magician as going straight for mage seems impossible. Besides, getting high is Marisa's job, not mine.
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 13 May 2013 21:31

Alright gang, after copious save-scumming and one emulator change later, I think we're all set to crash this Ragafool's party plans.

First up: team assignments.

Komach, Ichi, and Witch will be joining forces to form Team Sneaky Mach Punch, Team Punch for short. I'm expecting no less than an approximate reenactment of Fist of the North Star on the battlefield out of you.

Get it? A Komach Punch (Nun).

HyperK, Aya, and Alice will be heading up Team Cunning Regal Snarkmeisters, Team Snark for short. Now you might seem like the underdogs here, but you have a cunning snake goddess on your side; I'm pretty sure Ishtar's got nothing on the conquer of miracles.

I just know these three are going to get along oh so well.

With party assignments out of the way, let me give a quick breakdown on how updates are going to work. Teams Punch and Snark will be alternating turns outside of jazzy purgatory, with Team Punch going first. After we've settled any purchases, job changes, mid-life crisis, and other such townly business, I'll take screenshots of the descriptions given for all available missions for the active team to decide between. I'll probably include various town hijinks to make these 'in-between' updates more entertaining, and also so you don't feel ripped off getting so little content due to waiting on a team decision.

Following these 'pre-missions' will be full 'chapters', detailing the exploit of said team in completing the mission. One note on the missions: a party wipeout is interpreted as everyone screaming awake in the inn from a month long bad dream. I'd rather not take any unnecessary chances with a 1991 RPG, so we're going to play this safe. If a team fails a mission, they will be met by a scorn of disapproval from beyond the 4th wall and suffer from amnesia and feelings of deja vu. (In other words, I'll be loading the game from the save prior to taking the mission). If anyone asks, you all have vivid, recurring precognitive nightmares of zombies eating your face off prior to completing your mission.

I may pause mid-chapter if an important fate-changing type decision presents itself. Otherwise, I will be relying on your given personalities to decide who drinks every mysterious fluid they find laying around in bottles, and who considers 'punching through the glass' as 'investigating further'. Ultimately, I will play until we manage to clear a mission and conclude the chapter with a weary band of touhous retiring to jazzy purgatory once more. The next pre-chapter will start with the waiting team learning/being reminded that there is no escape from jazzy background loops, as Alphland knows what the jazz is all about.

I'm beginning to think that maybe the Dark Lord isn't that bad of a guy, and in reality he's trying liberate these people by crushing Alphaz incognito Alphaz appointed, crazed saxophonist Ishtar with his not-as-repetitive metal self. That or he too can only take so much swanky lounge music...

No, it all makes perfect sense now, this isn't about a never ending battle between order and chaos, benevolent light gods and their sinister demihuman commanding counter-parts at all. It's a battle of the bands through heaven and hell, and whether it's jazz or metal, demihumans and humans alike will never escape their fate of endless, repetitive background music.

"And I said let there be jazz!"

Seriously, gods are dicks.

Up next:

Prologue - A Death God, Punch Nun, and Klepto Witch Walk into Ye Olde Job Barn.
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Kanako Yasaka » 14 May 2013 03:10

Dicks? Damn right we are. Also, we have no compunctions about save-scumming to win. How do you think we got to be gods anyways?
Kanako Yasaka
Alternate Character

Postby Ichirin Kumoi » 14 May 2013 03:34

*trigger slaps Kanako*

Check your privilege.
:P
Ichirin Kumoi
Forum Moderator

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 17 May 2013 23:33

So while working on the prologue, I got a neat idea. Pretty much everyone in town has a portrait, and I was thinking it would look nicer if you touhous had a face to go with your dialogue while in town too. Even better, you can even keep them for your wacky dungeon conversations; take that, unimportant NPCs!

That said, the in-game portraits are 64x64 pixels in resolution, with 8x8 of that being a 4 pixel wide border, leaving effectively 56x56 for your actual mug shot. So what do you all say? Want to provide a good portrait picture for use during this? (Bonus points if it looks '8-bit') It doesn't have to be 56x56, but it needs to at least resize to 56x56 and look decent. If 56x56 is just a little too constraining, we can try 64x64 instead. We can justify the size difference with the fact that it's the little girls in frilly dresses actually saving the day, not 'Vera' the elf.

"And I'm Aloe, by the way. You might recognize me from that hand lotion you make."
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Alice Margatroid » 24 May 2013 14:25

Sorry about the late reply. And maybe, I'll dig through my pictures of Alice to see if I can find a good one to use that won't be too big.
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Komachi Onozuka » 24 May 2013 17:19

Think i have I've for Komachi. I'll look when i get home
Komachi Onozuka
Main Character

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion