Writer's Block? More like 'Not Writer's Block'

Discuss anything and everything. Really.

Writer's Block? More like 'Not Writer's Block'

Postby Chen » 01 Apr 2013 18:13

Are you stuck on that PoIR post? Have you been writing the first sentence and erasing it over and over again? It's the dreaded WRITER'S BLOCK.
In the picture above, J.R.R. Tolkien is struggling from WRITER'S BLOCK. As far as he can see, there is no way to reach the golden manuscript! Maybe he will watch a YouTube video instead.

But no - don't fear! We have a solution: CONSTRAINED WRITING.

Imagine:
*- Writing a whole post without using any of the letters in the word "Easter"!
*- Being forced to use the words "laundry", "vagabond", and "exponent"... all in the same sentence!
*- Satisfying constraints that are literally impossible to complete!

Well, now you can realize your dreams with the help of the Writing Constrainer, a supernatural being that generates suggestions. From the classic:
You may not include the letter e.

To the nonclassic:
Fill in the blank: "There was only one option: licking _______."

From the easy:
The number of words that start with b must equal 2.

To the difficult:
Words must be in alphabetical order.

To the impossible:
1 must equal 0.

The Writing Constrainer always keeps you on your toes! Try it out for your next post!

Warning: Clicking the "I'm done with this" button over and over is degenerate behaviour. Do not devolve into degenerate behavior.
"Happiness is like a cat, If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."
Chen
Main Character

Re: Writer's Block? More like 'Not Writer's Block'

Postby Yukari Yakumo » 02 Apr 2013 17:16

"Fill in the blanks: "This was the first time in youkai history anyone had ever _________.""

Did... was this written for PoIR, Chen?

I'm unashamedly degenerate.
Yukari Yakumo
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Koishi Komeiji » 02 Apr 2013 17:50

Brace yourselves for the floods of posts that all contain "tallied"
Koishi Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 02 Apr 2013 19:31

*BONUS SQUARE* You've been working pretty hard. Take a 10 minute Touhou break.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say this cat is messing with us. `-`a

To the impossible:
1 must equal 0.

"We can't account for the existence of the universe, but everything we understand has a beginning and an end. To that end, to have an original beginning... it's not about the chicken or the egg, it's about getting something from nothing."

"I guess 1 really does equal 0 in that case," replied the overwhelmed karakasa.

<(O)P
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Chen » 14 Apr 2013 21:40

Yukari Yakumo wrote:Did... was this written for PoIR, Chen?

For me! And then I added a few PoIR-specific constraints before I linked you to it.

Koishi, master of sarcasm, wrote:Brace yourselves for the floods of posts that all contain "tallied"

Brace yourselves for the floods of posts where the words are all in alphabetically sorted order

Kogasa Tatara accurately wrote:
*BONUS SQUARE* You've been working pretty hard. Take a 10 minute Touhou break.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say this cat is messing with us. `-`a

Yep! But actually, when I have run out of motivation and people are waiting on me to post, it is useful.
(Also: reward systems, like "1 minute of this video per 10 words written.") Exercise: Of my 3 most recent posts (as of April 14, 2013), can you detect which one I used the Writing Constrainer for?

Kogasa brilliantly wrote:
To the impossible:
1 must equal 0.

"We can't account for the existence of the universe, but everything we understand has a beginning and an end. To that end, to have an original beginning... it's not about the chicken or the egg, it's about getting something from nothing."

"I guess 1 really does equal 0 in that case," replied the overwhelmed karakasa.

<(O)P
You are doing it correctly! See how inspired you feel?
"Happiness is like a cat, If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."
Chen
Main Character

Return to Off Topic Discussion