The Grimoire of Alice

Character journals, spellcards and sample apps are posted here.

The Grimoire of Alice

Postby Alice Margatroid » 28 Apr 2011 15:20

Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Given the reputation for losing themselves in their work that magicians have, I have found it wise to take a moment every now and then to look back on recent events and put them in perspective. It might just be a paranoid precaution like my occasional naps or the way I cook meals without actually needing to eat, but I'm not a certain monochromatic thief who thinks nothing of her own safety. If taking a bit of time off from work to maintain a diary helps me stay sane and remember who I am, then that is what I will do.

I am Alice Margatroid, the rainbow colored puppeteer and one magicians in Gensokyo. As most people would be able to tell from the title, my magic focuses on the manipulation of inanimate objects, especially dolls. While this has clear limitations and requires a great deal of focus, the sheer versatility of controlling multiple bodies is unparalleled and well worth the loss of power. Not just that, it allows me to maintain a proper living, even while focusing on more important matters, which is most evident in the quality of my housekeeping. However, this does not mean that I have no talents outside puppeteering and dollmaking. Few people managed to become youkai magicians with the speed I did and even fewer managed to maintain strong research into other magic at the same time. Not just that, I have accomplished a feat that few youkai except for my mother can claim to have achieved, I have breathed life into inanimate objects, giving me a number of daughters. The magic still isn't perfect and I had to take shortcuts such as borrowing souls from the Netherworld, but that does not diminish the achievement or the knowledge I gained from it. My next attempt will not be to simply use existing souls to possess dolls, but rather to create life itself.
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Re: The Grimoire of Alice

Postby Alice Margatroid » 28 Apr 2011 15:23

Relationships
Shinki: Mother can be quite tiring at times. She's kind and caring and compassionate and so on, but she totally and utterly fails to think her actions through. It gets rather overbearing at times not to mention how many disasters she creates by behaving in some random, chaotic fashion. She generally cleans up after them herself, at least. Still, she's my mother and I know me and my daughters can rely on her should we need to.
Shanghai: (To be filled out once Sick as a Cat and Motherly Concerns end.)
Hourai: (To be filled out once Motherly Concerns ends.)
Marisa Kirisame: (To be filled out once Secrets of a Puppeteer ends.)
Byakuren Hijiri: (To be filled out once Motherly Concerns ends.)
Yukari Yakumo: Without a doubt the most infuriating inhabitant in all of Gensokyo. Yes, she's the strongest youkai and yes, she maintains the barrier. We all know that, doesn't mean she has to treat the rest of us as toys to play around with. However, that being said she's generous and predictable in her own way and no evidence of her causing serious harm to others have been found. Also, she did give me access to studying her power over gaps, a topic of research that any magician would sacrifice quite a bit to gain access to. I suppose I shouldn't blame her for that. Even if she did make a point of being as annoying as possible about it.
Ran Yakumo: (To be filled out once Sick as a Cat ends.)
Chen: (To be filled out once Sick as a Cat ends.)
Sariel: (To be filled out once Sick as a Cat ends.)
Meira: Some samurai who had the misfortune of having me as her first opponent in the tournament. She's surprisingly strong for a human, especially a freeloader who doesn't resolve incidents or work for one of the more powerful inhabitants of Gensokyo. But, she has pride in her species and is more polite than many. She also appreciates the work I put into making my dolls, something few people seem to do. Perhaps she would be more reliable in resolving incidents than the miko and the witch?

(Others as I get into threads with them or gain solid knowledge of how past threads with them went.)
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 03 May 2011 07:46

Dimensional Dolls

I've made an excellent deal. Yukari Yakumo has given me access to two of her gaps that I can study, at the cost of sharing my results with her. Of course she has a further plan and there is a catch, but why should I care? I got access to studying some of the most powerful and fabled magic in all of Gensokyo. The potential is limitless, though the exact applications are beyond my ability to predict right now. At the very least it would increase my understanding of how to apply magic in non-linear ways and transcending the dimensions of time and space. Potentially it might reveal ways to draw power from whatever dimension the gaps utilize to transfer matter from one point to another, securing me an effective way to power the souls of future attempts at making truly living dolls. However, for now this potential remains untapped and warrants further research.
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 16 May 2011 15:59

Encroach

(The thread died at a very unnatural point to act like it came to an end, so unless we get a new Kogasa who wants to revive it, this thread is likely non-canon for now.)
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 27 Jul 2011 00:09

Tournament Round 1

The first round in the tournament didn't go as well as expected. While I did win, my opponent proved far stronger than anticipated and it was only through exploiting my superior numbers and her lack of tactical acumen that I managed to pull a win through. I will have to make a note of not taking strangers as lightly in the future, even if they are humans. Apparently it is not just the famous humans who resolve incidents or work for powerful masters who are surprisingly strong.

I will also have to remember to make a replacement for the doll I let my opponent have. She seemed quite fond of my creations, perhaps I can exploit that in future duels to make others lower their guard for fear of hurting my art. At least some people should have an appreciation for craftsmanship and be unwilling to see it hurt.
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Return to Character Library