Records of a Historian: Biography of Kamishirasawa Keine

Character journals, spellcards and sample apps are posted here.

Records of a Historian: Biography of Kamishirasawa Keine

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 23 Aug 2010 14:46

Kamishirasawa Keine
Main Character
Title: History Keeper and Guardian of The Human Village

Though it feels presumptuous to do so, I have recently come to realize that including a chapter on myself in this book might be a necessity. As much as I would like to claim otherwise, calling me an impartial observer would be a lie and cast a shadow of lies over my works to shield myself. As an actor in the events I describe, understanding my position and involvement is as important to gaining a full grasp of the modern history of Gensokyo as understanding that of anybody else.

My name is Keine Kamishirasawa and for years I have worked on understanding and describing the past of Gensokyo. More recently I have also begun to attempt spreading this knowledge more widely among the people of the village, though I dare not express my views on my success, I leave it for you, the readers, to determine whether I have succeeded in this goal. Before I became either of these, I was just a normal girl who took a greater interest in knowledge and books than in the rougher games of the other kids.

Being a mere teacher and scholar is not why I believe it necessary to tell you about myself, like this, however. The truth is that I am not fully human. Instead I am half-youkai, more specifically a were-hakutaku. I do not claim to know how this condition came about, nor fully understand how it has influenced me over the years, but I believe that it's influence on my personality has been minimal. What I can positively say it has done is be the one thing that brought me to be among the people who shape the history of Gensokyo, in ways more literal than others.

As an effect of the youkai side within me i gained the power to conceal history at my discretion. Though the simple description gives a general idea of the power, what i perhaps consider more important is the insight it has given me in the nature of history itself. Where most people merely consider history to be vaguely defined as "old stuff" or "the past", history is a much more specific thing than that. History is the perception and framing of the past performed in the present, that is to say that history is how we describe the past, including both true and false beliefs about what has happened. Still, just that is semantics as far as the most common manifestation of this power is concerned, hiding perceptions of the past is in almost all cases functionally identical with hiding the past itself.

It is not so with the greater aspect of my mastery over history, the one that only comes forth on the night of the full moon. In addition to growing horns and a tail and gaining increased physical strength, the most noteworthy change is that my power over history changes to the much more enigmatic power to create history. Essentially it is the power to add events to how people perceive the past. These can be common knowledge, facts that they have overlooked or outright fabrication. Of course, this does not mean that supporting evidence will present itself so adding something too outrageous is more likely to be written off as a mass psychosis after a short while as opposed to being believed. Due to this and to my belief that tampering with history leads to misunderstandings of our judgment of the present, i try to keep the use of both these abilities to a minimum, mostly restricting myself to adding important events to history to ensure they will not be forgotten.
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Re: Character Journal: Kamishirasawa Keine

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 03 Sep 2010 13:05

Relationships

Fujiwara no Mokou This might sound odd to some of my readers, but the hermit of the Bamboo Forest is my closest and oldest friend. For all her being unapproachable and at times even hostile, Mokou is in reality a kind, sensitive girl. It is my belief that it is this very sensitivity that made immortality hit her so hard. If it hurts whenever people shun you for being different and whenever someone you care about dies, living for more than a millennium is going to be a hell.

Yet, as selfish as it sounds, it was this status as an outsider that made the basis for me becoming friends with her. Few other people truly understand what it is like to be human, yet set apart from other humans by your very nature and most of those who do simply find their friends among the youkai of Gensokyo. In truth, it was meeting Mokou that made me accept myself as a were-hakutaku.

She recently returned after having been gone for months. I don't know what much about what happened while she was gone, but it was something big. I worry more about her than ever before, it seems like sometimes she loses control of herself. I wish there was something i could do to help her.

Suika Ibuki While i had met her before, my real knowledge of the little oni dates to when i helped her invade the Scarlet Devil Mansion. What i found surprised me. I knew the reputation of onis, yet she seemed so laidback and relaxed before, only concerned with having fun and getting drunk. She saved my life at the risk of her own, refusing to back down from helping an ally. So don't let yourself be fooled by her exterior, Suika might like partying and take most things easily, but i have a hard time imagining a better ally should you find yourself in a serious battle. After Mokou, she's my closest friend and one of the few i willingly talk to on the night of the full moon.

Remilia Scarlet Relationships between the mistress of the Scarlet Devil Mansion and I are strained to put it mildly. A series of bad choices in the past led me to insult her gravely, even going so far as to invade the mansion itself. No matter what i desired to achieve, and i believe my goal to have been noble even if my methods were not, she has every right to be angry at me for what i did. That being said, the Scarlet Devil strikes me as both prideful and very keen to protect her image, though her willingness to forgive Suika for her part in the invasion shows that she has a merciful side.

Patchouli Knowledge I find the One Week Wizard to be quite a mystery. I believe that she's a friend of Remilia herself, though i have no knowledge of how the pair met. What i do know is that she cares deeply about her library, her reputation and little else, except possibly for the elder Scarlet. Though i suppose the past isn't true, she's hostile against anybody who interferes with either and my actions in her library together with Suika has put me among her enemies. I don't know if she will take the time to exact vengeance against me, but given her more hostile and unforgiving attitude than her friend i fear it is a risk.

Flandre Scarlet It was my lack of real knowledge about and understanding of the younger sister of the Scarlet Devil that led to the fighting with Remilia. The poor girl is not well, but thanks to her immense strength, something i can attest to from first hand experience, she would pose a threat to others should she get angry or panic. I'm quite certain that centuries locked in the basement to protect her from the world and the world from her has only made this worse. I have given up on helping her, neither her nor her sister would trust me to do so, yet i hope that the milder stance that Remilia claims to have taken towards her will help her feel better. No matter how dangerous they are, no one deserves being locked in the basement for as long as she was.

Sakuya Izayoi The maid is the inhabitant of the Scarlet Devil Mansion who interacts the most with the outside world. Although she's obviously extremely loyal to her mistress and seems like a cold person, I've found her to be both friendly and quite intelligent company when she is not doing official work for Remilia. It can be rather amusing to see the lengths she goes to in order to keep up her appearance as being infallible and perfect in everything she does, however. How many people would go so far as to use their supernatural gifts to prevent tiny beads of soup from spilling when eating noodles?

Kaguya Houraisan As can be imagined i don't like Kaguya much. I don't care what she did to Mokou's father before the capital even moved to Nara, that is ancient history and she has had plenty of time to change since then. What i do care about is how she actively stokes the flames of Mokou's hate against her and tries her hardest to ensure that she keeps being trapped in the past. I can't simply forgive her for constantly trying to hurt my friend on the level where she is the most vulnerable.

Eirin Yagokoro Eirin on the other hand is a valuable support of the human village. She might be distant and impossible to figure out what she's thinking, but opening the clinic and sending Reisen to the village to sell medicine has done much to improve the life of the villagers. I do not know her well since she rarely leaves Eientei herself, though, and i know she is loyal to Kaguya no matter what the princess does, but based on what i know about her, she has my respect.

Byakuren Hijiri After her seal was finally broken last year, the Venerable Hijiri, or Byakuren as she prefers being called, escaped Makai to be one of the newest inhabitants in Gensokyo. Wanting to learn more about her home she sought me out as well as Akyu as the two most capable of giving her an accurate account. Since then i have talked to her regularly and though we are not as close as me and Mokou or me and Suika, i still think of her as a friend. Of all the people wielding power over others in Gensokyo, she appears the wisest and most compassionate, appearing to truly care for the well-being of others, both human and youkai.

Shou Toramaru I don't know Bishamonten's disciple well, but what I have seen has left a good impression. She clearly knows a lot about the lord she serves and is passionate about spreading the word of him. She also seemed to be quite concerned about the well-being of the villagers and willing to help them. I hope to get to know her better in the future.

Nazrin To be honest, I don't know much about the mouse of Myouren. She's clearly loyal to Miss Toramaru and seems to hold personal loyal Bishamonten as well. I'm not sure what I can say about her, since I have yet to talk much to her, but if she's a follower of Byakuren and Miss Toramaru she can't be that bad.

Murasa Minamitsu This nautical ghost is one of Byakuren's followers. She appears rash and prone to acting without thinking properly. As her actions during the flood shows, she is definitely willing to help others, but she also quite capable of ruining it all by not considering the feelings of others. Still, with proper guidance such as that of her mistress she will be quite helpful in keeping the people of Gensokyo safe from each other and the forces of nature.

Reimu Hakurei I'll have to admit to being torn on the topic of the Hakurei shrine maiden. Her talent at her job is undeniable, as is her willingness to deal with threats to the safety and stability of Gensokyo as a whole. However, she appears to be equally unconcerned with the everyday problems and threats experienced by the people of the village. If she has all that skill, she should use it to help others, even when the threat isn't to all of Gensokyo.

Mima While she has not done anything yet that i know of, everything about this spirit gives off an air of untrustworthiness and danger. It might well just be that she's cultivating this image intentionally and is nowhere near as dangerous as she comes off, but i'm not going to relax around her or let her wander the village without keeping an eye on her even so.

Hatate Himekaidou The less famous of the tengu reporters. She has little fame preceding her and my knowledge of her almost exclusively consists of my one meeting with the girl and my experience reading her newspaper. In person she comes off quite immature and with a good amount of the trademark tengu arrogance. However, she also appears to be both quite intelligent and dedicated to her job, even showing a proper understanding of what the purpose of journalism is.

Minoriko Aki It shouldn't actually have surprised me that gods were arrogant. After all being approachable would undermine the very relationship that is the basis for their life. Yet i believe this harvest goddess should take a more humble stance. Harvests have not been unusually abundant in recent years, yet she acts like it is all our own fault and like we have sabotaged it for her. Somehow i think she fails to recognize that humanity is a minority in Gensokyo and that if we lose faith in her, she has nowhere to turn to find new followers. If she wanted to play the role of a magnificent god able to lord her power over humanity, perhaps she should make sure she has the stature to do so first.

Shizuha Aki I don't know the younger sister of the harvest goddess quite as well. She seems more approachable than her sister, yet still possessing some of the same arrogance. I do admire her loyalty and willingness to defend her sister, even if Minoriko was the one at fault.

Sunny Milk Even though fairies are well-known for both hyperactivity and a certain tendency towards thoughtlessness, Sunny is more so than most, making her an extremely tiring person for me to be around. While I know she's just a fairy and can't really be blamed the way humans and youkai can, her harassing people and refusing to listen when they tell her to stop or at least calm down does little to endear her to me.

Cirno Quite unlike Sunny, Cirno is surprisingly dutiful and diligent for a fairy, something that might relate to her claims of being the strongest fairy around. She recently began working for a combined ice cream and soup shop, pursuing this task with the earnestness and enthusiasm of youth. I tried to encourage her to keep up the work and hope to see more of this from her.

Kurumi A remarkably self-important and solipsistic vampire, she makes Remilia come off considerate and humble in comparison. She has a strong grudge on the more famous vampire for the fact that the Scarlet Devil is more famous than she is, despite her utter lack of effort in doing anything to gain fame from. I don't think she's truly villainous or a threat, but she's egocentric, arrogant and rash so she can still cause significant problems if allowed to move freely so I will keep my eye on her for the time being.

Young redhaired youkai (Orange) I only met her briefly when she was getting ready to get changed for the Christmas party. She seemed like a nice, if shy, girl and i can't imagine her causing any problems. Somehow she reminded me of the gate guard at the scarlet devil mansion

Pale, wintery youkai (Letty) Another guest at Remilia's party. She didn't quite seem to be a festive mood, though, which i get an impression might be normal for her to not be.
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Re: Character Journal: Kamishirasawa Keine

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 12 Sep 2010 04:34

Bloody Dusk Into Scarlet Dawn

Ugh, I just want to forget about that day. It's not often I say that, but I do it about the day I went to the Scarlet Devil Mansion to offer to teach the younger Scarlet. I don't quite know what possessed me to get the idea in the first place, she can't go to the village to study and I don't have the time to give her primary lessons while running the school. No matter the reason, I did and I live with the consequences of that decision.

While my offer would most likely have been rejected no matter how I went about it, I ended up handling it very poorly and gravely insulted both the Lady Remilia and her sister. I don't want to talk much about the details, but suffice to say that I'm quite embarrassed by my behavior and wish I hadn't done what I did.
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Re: Records of a Historian: Biography of Kamishirasawa Keine

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 13 Dec 2010 23:56

In the Scarlet Devil's Absence...

I swear, there is something about the Scarlet Devil Mansion that makes me stupid. Why would I ever try to invade it and take over? Especially if it was just me and Suika doing it? There was no way we could have succeeded, no matter what our standards for victory was and all it did was harm my chances of reconciliation after past missteps. Not all was lost, though, at least I got to know the little oni who has been a supportive friend in the past. Even so, I would have preferred not to have insulted Lady Remilia and her household further.
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 13 Dec 2010 23:57

Haunting of the Village

Last fall, something was haunting the village, even killing some of the visitors. Despite enlisting the aid of the Hakurei miko, Suika and the black-clothed magician from the woods we never found the culprit, though the haunting stopped some time later. Instead we merely had to deal with an evil spirit attempting to intimidate us and pretending to be the guilty party, which appears to not be the truth. I don't know why someone would want a reputation as a murderer, especially in a land where killing is the only thing strictly prohibited, but if i were to venture a guess she was trying to scare and intimidate us to look more powerful and important.

This incident did have one amusing side, i got to see the legendary desire for donations possessed by Reimu. You would think she'd put more effort into her work if she's so eager to get paid.
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 13 Dec 2010 23:57

Enchantment of the Moon

(Given the scope of the retcons to the content of this thread, i believe it is necessary to give an OOC account of what happened instead of letting the IC version try to cover both Keine's opinion of the events and give a clear image of what has been changed. The fundamental structure of the thread remains intact, however, beyond that everything has been changed.

The two biggest changes are these: Keine does not have a split personality and the conversation between Remilia and Keine was not Keine simply insulting the vampire over and over. Instead the fight was a formal duel meant to settle things.

If Keine won, the topic would be dropped. If Remilia did, Keine would never show her face near the Scarlet Devil Mansion again. Despite Keine winning the topic isn't dropped, people doesn't work like that after all. It did, however, not inspire the same hate from Remilia that the original version of the thread did.)

My third clash with the Scarlet Devil was perhaps the most civil of them all, despite being the only one to end in an actual fight. I had intended to spend the full moon having a drink with Suika, it had been a quiet month so there wasn't much of a need to add anything to the history of Gensokyo. Yet before we got far the vampire showed up on her way to the village for an evening meal, having apparently mistaken us for stragglers in the wilderness alone.

Naturally this become the focus of the night as opposed to relaxing over a quiet cup of sake. In an effort to sate her curiosity and make up for the invasion, Suika offered to let Remilia drink of her blood instead of that of some innocent human. I cannot tell how much it did to settle things between them, but from what i know their conflict was never as deep as the one between me and Remilia. I too tried to use the opportunity to smooth things out a bit, eventually leading to a high stakes duel between me and the vampire. The price for my winning was that she had to attempt to start over and let go of her anger from past transgressions to her. If she won, i would never get anywhere near her, her mansion or any of her servants. In the end i won, but of course things are not as simple as having a duel change how you think of others, so the feud persists though at least i won enough grudging politeness that i can get the opportunity to make a better impression in the future.
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 13 Dec 2010 23:59

Checking Up

Some days are just strange and chaotic, this was one of them. First i had to argue with the harvest goddess over the relationship between prayers and good harvests. She demanded more prayers as if it was her right, without making any real promises of harvests upsetting the basic relationship between humans and the manifest gods of Gensokyo.

In the middle of this, however, a young tengu i hadn't seen before showed up to try and gain subscriptions for her newspaper. While neither the most attentive person or the most polite, she still impressed me a great deal more than Aya, with her promises of striving for factual accuracy and general knowledge, so in the end i accepted a subscription. I haven't regretted the decision, as it truly is nice to get the news with minimal effort, without having to worry about them being made up because what actually happened wasn't interesting enough.
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 14 Dec 2010 00:00

Fathomless Flood

I'm sure nobody missed the week of rain and the flooding that followed. I can't claim to know the cause and that worries me. While it might just be the whims of the weather, it might also be a youkai trying to indirectly attack the village or someone meddling with power beyond their skill to control. Still, nobody but the wizard of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, Murasa the ghost from Myouren and the Moriya Shrine reacted and I haven't heard about Reimu going on any of her rampages. That at least is reassuring, it makes it less likely that someone is behind it.

The clean up after the flood was odd, though, Murasa seemed eager to help until she made the bad call of asking for donations in exchange for the help. Truthfully speaking they were just of a token size, but naturally the villagers were angered at being asked to pay for being saved and drove her out of town only to realize that they had no means of evacuation.

That was when the Moriya Shrine stepped in to evacuate the villagers with a flying ship similar to the one Murasa is the captain of. While this succeeded, I find it a bit odd that nobody had heard about or seen the ship before and it seemingly vanished right after the last villagers were evacuated. I'm not going to complain about the rescue for the people of the village, but I do wonder how they just happened to have something like that and how it suddenly disappeared after that.
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 14 Dec 2010 00:01

Gathering the Lucky God's Faith

I met Miss Toramaru and Miss Nazrin spreading the word of Bishamonten while I was out shopping. While I fear I might have distracted them from their work with my questions, I'm still happy with the outcome of this meeting. Not only did I get to know Lady Hijiri's foremost disciple better, but I did also learn much about Bishamonten. Of course, much is just a retelling of the traditional version told in Buddhist scriptures, but hearing it from someone with a personal relationship with the god changes the impression it leaves quite a bit. I still feel like I should make it up to her somehow.
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 14 Dec 2010 00:03

In Search of a Friend

Though Mokou had been gone for a long time, it took me months to finally go meet her. At the time i excused myself with being busy and the demands of my work as the teacher of the village, though looking back i know that i was merely angry at being abandoned.

It was not an ideal first meeting after a long separation. She had been traveling to gain the means to get an upper hand in her infinite fighting with Kaguya and found something, i don't know what. It's true nature matters less than what it does, which seems to include taking over and driving her to ever greater brutality when fighting, naturally horrifying her. I met her as she was on the way back from a fight she had gotten into with the yama, where this influenced her to her horror.

I'm afraid i did little to make the situation any better, as the anger and loneliness from the long period she had been gone, boiled over at hearing the nature of why she had left. I said things i probably shouldn't have and it was clear that she was hurt, even as i told her about why i was worried for her too and what her future would be like if she pushed everyone away. In the end we made up and we talked a bit about the Christmas party the vampires are holding. I apparently never got around to tell her the story of my feud with Remilia before either, something that seemed to surprise her a great deal, which is hardly surprising.
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 14 Dec 2010 00:03

A Change in Wardrobe

In an attempt to try and begin working towards a peaceful resolution of my feud with Remilia i chose to accept the invitation for her Christmas party. With a formal dress code favoring western clothing, many of the guests had to ask for the aid of the head maid in getting changed to fit in at the party without causing offense. While i had a dress myself, Mokou did not and i chose not to get changed before arriving at the mansion, since i was picking her up in the forest. I'll admit that the glee with which the maid took command of getting people changed was a bit unnerving, her work was impeccable. That dress made Mokou look absolutely stunning.
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 17 Jan 2011 16:54

Seeking the Aid of Moriya

(I might restart it or reboot it from scratch once Sanae returns. If not it will be an unofficial aborted thread that shows some of the plans I have had and might return to later. For now, however, this thread is on hiatus.)
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 17 Jan 2011 16:54

A Remedy for Battle

This day was not an easy one for me, nor was it successful. After learning how Mokou had attacked the yama, I naturally grew concerned for her. In all the years I have known her, she's never been more than grumpy and somewhat unfriendly when dealing with people who weren't Kaguya, yet all of a sudden she went ahead and attacked someone without provocation like that. Not just that, the change seems to have come about due to an attempt to gain strength to fight Kaguya.

Worried about her I wanted to try and lead her away from things that would stress her, so I could work with her to try and address this change in her. The biggest thing that sets her off is her hatred for the moon princess, so I wanted to focus there. Yet, as long as Kaguya wants to fight as well it will be hopeless as it will inevitably come to blows and they start fighting again, so I sought Eirin's help in keeping the two apart. I would work on helping Mokou find something else in her life and support her as the ancient trauma recovered and wanted to ask Eirin to try reasoning with the princess and keep the two apart.

It was a spectacular failure. While she was polite and willing to hear me out, the anger at being asked to do such a thing was clear. Her anger at Mokou even more so, apparently she had threatened to burn down Eientei without any provocation other than Kaguya refusing to come out to fight. I hadn't heard that, but it worries me. If this changed behavior keeps up, I fear she might do something that causes great harm to others and that she will regret once she comes to her senses. Worst of all, the one who would be most able to find out what's wrong and help is Eirin, who would never do so, just like Mokou would never cooperate to be helped by her. All, I can do is try to support her and keep her calm, while I hope nothing happens.
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 29 Jan 2011 20:33

Mon Beau Sapin

Gift giving at the Scarlet Devil Mansion's Christmas party turned out better than expected. The handmade journal that Mokou gave me is the book I'm writing these comments in, while she appeared to greatly appreciate the carving knife I got her. It also had the remarkable experience of Remilia being nice and even going so far as showing concern for me, though naturally only as a host. Her behavior makes me wonder about the truth concerning the scarlet devil, it would appear that underneath all her arrogance and desire to be unapproachably high nobility, she is actually rather lonely. At least her happiness at having a party, even with people she doesn't like, would suggest that.

However, despite all the good that took place here there were certain annoyances, specifically caused by the fairy Sunny Milk. First she was harassing Reimu by stealing a gift that was apparently especially important to the miko and refusing to give it back until threatened with physical battle. Then she turned her attention to me, Mokou and eventually Remilia, pestering us with more questions than we could possibly answer, before beginning to even fling insults around such as claiming that I looked old. I did get the impression that she probably wasn't aware of what she was doing with the last ones, however.
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Next

Return to Character Library