Writer's Workshop - Incidents

Discuss anything dealing with the Touhou: PoIR RP. Suggestions for forum improvement also go here.

Writer's Workshop - Incidents

Postby Kanako Yasaka » 08 May 2013 02:11

This is a tough one: Incidents on PoIR. I've yet to participate in one, but every single one (so I am told) has been retconned. This seems to suggest a couple possibilities to me.

1: Incidents that affect all of Gensokyo are unlikely to be terribly workable due to the nature of the forums and the fact that not everyone may want to be involved. Not much fun to have non-consensual events occur to your character, environmentally or otherwise.

2: Its been suggested to me, that a way to make incident playable for the forum would be to use something akin to Imperishable Night's model of teams (or pairs) of players, arrayed against one or two other characters that are doing something mischievous.

This could be fairly benign, or something more insidious. It also would only have local effects, not needing to be earth-shatteringly intense. It does raise the question though, for all this effort, does it bring anything fundamentally useful to the table? Is it really worth the effort to organize an incident when it only might affect four players in total? One would think the entire point is that even if it takes place in a secluded location, it should still have some sort of long term effects otherwise why not just do a normal thread?
Kanako Yasaka
Alternate Character

Re: Writer's Workshop - Incidents

Postby Mononobe no Futo » 08 May 2013 02:44

I agree that possibility #2 seems more workable, but if we want to make the incidents bigger in both scale and importance, maybe we can arrange them in a similar pattern like the stages in Touhou games. Instead of having everything happen in one thread, maybe we can have the incidents taking place through several threads in different locations. That way, we can have a small number of players in one thread at one time, but since there will be quite a few of these threads, more people can be involved.

I guess the drawback will be that it might take a long time before the incident can be resolved, and while it's easier to have more incident makers (the "bosses" that will appear at each stage), I'm not so sure you can have too many resolvers, or even more than one or one pair of them.

Regardless. I think an incident would need a lot organizing before things can get going, which is why they're tough to make.
Mononobe no Futo
Main Character

Postby Yumemi Okazaki » 09 May 2013 05:23

When it comes to on board events, instead of focusing on incidents that affect Gensokyo as a whole, I think that incidents should focus on the players themselves. I give you my example of an incident I wanted to run looong back.

*wavy flashback transition*

Off Topic
The Cleansed Crystal Mirror ( 浄玻璃の鏡じょうはりのかがみ Jouhari no Kagami) is a mirror made of crystal used by the yama to look into people their past.
The mirror is not an ordinary mirror. When you look into the mirror, a yama sees all your past deeds. Everything you have done in the past will be shown and thus there is no privacy. Every little detail may be exposed. With that they can make a fair judgement and either send you to hell or heaven.
Eiki has been seen to use the mirror to create duplicates of a person. It is unknown whether this is how the mirror is normally used.

My idea involved this item being stolen from the Yama by a certain person (Spoilers: It was Lily Black) before accidentally having the mirror break within Gensokyo. The outcome? Sinful/Evil versions of several Touhou characters being released out into Gensokyo to cause trouble. In the end, things would wrap up nicely by the end of the incident with the mirror being fixed and the evil clones being sealed. Normal End. Try Extra difficulty.

Anywho, the way this event would work was giving the chance for players of the board to have another option for posting as their given character: a character that reflected the original's sinful nature. From there, players would just go about creating threads like normal and causing small incidents for other characters to solve (evil Reimu intruding into the SDM, evil Remilia going around sucking everyone's blood, etc etc.). This also wouldn't require everyone to participate. Only those who are interested.

In closing, incidents should focus on the individual players more then the world itself.
Link
Have a neko Marisa to brighten your day.
Yumemi Okazaki
Free Character

Postby Kanako Yasaka » 09 May 2013 05:35

What happens to those characters who are already sinful/evil? `-`
Kanako Yasaka
Alternate Character

Postby Yumemi Okazaki » 09 May 2013 05:45

Way I see it, unless we went the comical "the evil clone is really the good one" route, every Touhou character is, to some degree, not completely evil. Even Yuuka holds back well enough to where Reimu doesn't have to worry about her constantly. The difference between the clones and the originals would be that one would have some self-restraint while the other didn't.

Marisa: Only steals things she's interested in.
Sinful Marisa: Steals for the sake of enjoyment.

Reimu: Exterminates misbehaving youkai.
Sinful Reimu: Exterminates youkai just because. Also takes their lunch money.

Stuff like that.
Link
Have a neko Marisa to brighten your day.
Yumemi Okazaki
Free Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 09 May 2013 06:03

Kanako Yasaka wrote:What happens to those characters who are already sinful/evil? `-`

There's someone in Gensokyo who is sinful/evil? I thought everyone fight each other for the lulz and have tea or something afterward.

Well, for an incident to be an incident, it has to affect Gensokyo as a whole, even for a short while, even on a small scale, even if only a handful take part in it. Which means there needs to be some organization and agreements to have it working. I think it's better for incidents to be a forum-wide thing instead of just a thread or two.

Actually, screw calling incident "incident", the term confuses me. It's an event, basically.

So, yeah, I'm more into Kanako's first concept. I don't see what's so unfun of having world-shattering events without your consent. It's not like Remilia asks everyone else if she can release the scarlet mist, or that Yuyuko asks people if she can delay Spring. Deal with it.

If somebody doesn't want to take part in it, they can blisfully ignore it, but can't quite outright say it doesn't happen. More likely than not, if she doesn't participate in it, it won't affect her as a character.

The retconnings happened, I think, because of characters changing hands. Particularly, characters who take parts in said events. This, I'm not sure how to solve.

... That said, I'm definitely into it if you're planning another incident, with whatever system. And I really like Yumemi's idea, really. I think it'll work.
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Kanako Yasaka » 14 May 2013 17:15

Unfortunately you cannot entirely get away from calling it an Incident, as that's just how Touhou is. Its one of the tropes of the setting. And in theory, I agree that yes, why would Kanako ask anyone's permission before stirring things up. But unlike a computer game, we're not writing with one vision of how the setting is. We're many hands joined as one to pen a setting, and have to compromise sometimes.

I do have some ideas in the wings but I think having a loose framework or accepted modus operandi in place beforehand could save any impending Incident from being relegated to the scrap pile as so many others have been before.
Kanako Yasaka
Alternate Character

Return to General RP Discussion