Writer's Workshop - Thread Idea Creation & Discussion

Discuss anything dealing with the Touhou: PoIR RP. Suggestions for forum improvement also go here.

Re: Writer's Workshop - Thread Idea Creation & Discussion

Postby Kanako Yasaka » 30 Apr 2013 04:13

Hard for me to say much more of substance on this issue, so unless there's anyone else with something concrete to say I think we can call this one fairly close to finished. That said, I do have a few points I'd like to mention:

1. My own posting seems to have shortened in the months since I started roleplaying here. Gradually, I've adopted more of Rin Satsuki's advice to say only what needs to be said, as I often find myself unable to think of anything too elaborate or flowery worth mentioning. I still try to put some extra flourish in for say, the fighting threads but anything else usually gets only exactly as much as it requires.

2. I hadn't considered I was ever over-describing things for people. But at the same time, what Ichirin suggests is appealing in its own way. Sometimes you have a specific vision for a scene, and want to express that with the other players. Even if its just a song to set a tone or mood, I think that can be powerful if properly done. I think I would tend to err on the side of too much rather than too little detail though.
Kanako Yasaka
Alternate Character

Postby Letty Whiterock » 25 May 2013 21:57

Well, now that I've plucked up the nerve to actually post here, I'd like to ask something that's been bothering me for a long time now. Namely, why does any thread I create generate so little interest? Outside of my initial thread here, and a select few over my three year stay as me, I've either had to specifically request someone's presence before even creating the thread or it just flops, and even then it's not a surefire deal because sometimes I can ask people to show up and they never bother to come. This has made it to where I just don't want to make threads at all.

Does anyone have any insight on this matter?
Letty Whiterock
Main Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 26 May 2013 05:29

Letty is a rather niche character and overall, she's far from the first most would even think of when getting inspiration for a scene. She's pretty firmly stuck with the winter theme, making it hard to find a good place and/or reason for her to interact for the other 3/4ths of the year. Even though Letty is one of my favorites, admittedly, the thought of having a scene with you here hasn't seriously crossed my mind. (I also don't actively look so much when I have my share of threads going)

I've mentioned playing Letty on the TouhouMUCK before. A good part of why I picked up Shou there is so that I'd have a character that doesn't require a good amount of stretching to naturally work in a scene outside of winter/cold places. Letty very much comes across as a character requiring a lot of creativity, patience, and work if you want her on the forefront of activity. I generally don't do much in the way of scenes with Letty on the MUCK outside of winter. My way of keeping the option open (and sensible ICly) is having Letty pick a different 'vacation spot' she 'disappears to' near the start of spring. Some place that keeps reasonably cool and dark. Last year it was the SDM. While I ended up having few scenes there (mostly due to lack of players and timing), it allowed the option for scenes outside of winter, all while keeping to canon (at least some part of the SDM can reasonably be considered a cool and dark place).

Beyond the challenges of the character though, it could be that your portrayal of Letty isn't overly popular. I will admit that personally, your Letty does feel really out of sync with Gensokyo to me. While this is good and well if this is how you really see Letty, you do have to consider how it comes across to others. Is an over the top, power suit, buster cannon equipped yuki-onna a relatable and understandable character, or does the concept alienate players?

Keep in mind that your portrayal is a personal expression as much as it is an advertisement to other players in RP. If you're too out of sync with everyone, sometimes you have to do a bit of giving and taking to find a happy middle. Now, I haven't read too many of your threads yet (nothing personal, I haven't read a lot of threads, period), but of what I have read, if you ask me, I'd say ditch the power suit angle and go with a more traditional workaround for the winter niche thing. You might find that by limiting your options (say, for example, going with the vacation workaround I mentioned earlier), you actually gain a lot more opportunities.

I got an overall over the top shonen vibe out of Letty from your PoST round with Kotohime. Nothing about shonen and Letty mixes at all in my mind. Just something to think about.
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Letty Whiterock » 27 May 2013 18:22

I do agree with the power suit thing and have actually been planning to shelve it for some time. I just needed to bounce my ideas off a couple of people to see if the alternate idea I had in mind was workable. (Which is just Letty using icy breath to generate cold air to manipulate, as that is a snow woman racial trait, rather than having a power suit do it. Most of what it does is stuff Letty can do already.)

As far as Letty herself goes, I'll bear in mind what you've said, but at the same time I don't feel that she's nearly as limited as everyone seems to think. What it comes down to in my mind is how much effort she's willing to exert in order to remain active outside of winter. The fact that she has no real reason to interact with other people is another issue, but I would have thought that by interacting with people in PoIR's RP section (as in, having threads with other characters) would gradually alleviate that issue. (Even then, messing with the other seasonal beings such as Lily, the Akis, Yuuka, ect. seem acceptable to me right off the bat.)

The shonen thing didn't quite click with me, mind. I was talking with both Kotohime (when I could actually contact her) and Yukari in IRC about how to approach the fight and bounced the attack ideas off them whenever I could specifically to avoid being too over the top.
Letty Whiterock
Main Character

Postby Hatate Himekaidou » 27 May 2013 20:56

Kogasa Tatara wrote:Beyond the challenges of the character though, it could be that your portrayal of Letty isn't overly popular. I will admit that personally, your Letty does feel really out of sync with Gensokyo to me. While this is good and well if this is how you really see Letty, you do have to consider how it comes across to others. Is an over the top, power suit, buster cannon equipped yuki-onna a relatable and understandable character, or does the concept alienate players?

Honestly I refuse to play with Letty, possibly even to the point of not staying in threads that Letty would join, as long as that thing exists.

I don't know how this got approved by moderators as it feels like its so out of place here and part of some badly written fanfic or doujin. It's painfully out of place and the fact its such a blatant ripoff of Megaman X's design doesn't help you at all.

It's so outputting that it's probably one of the only good things to come out of the 'THERE IS NO CANON' thing we did earlier so I could ignore it completely.
Hatate Himekaidou
Main Character

Postby Fujiwara no Mokou » 28 May 2013 01:30

On the question of Letty's threads, there are a lot of people who don't really join open threads much. I plan mine out with people in advance, either on their initiative or mine, haven't made an open thread yet on PoIR and only joined one. As a part of that group, I hope people aren't offended by that, I'm just more oriented to people wanting to do threads specifically with Mokou and to starting threads with people who fit into the arc that I have going.

On a side note, Hatate, please keep it civil. The power armor was an imperfect solution to a real problem the character has, and Letty already said she's reconsidering it. No need to make it personal. As for why it was approved, that's a question for the mods of yesteryear.

http://i.imgur.com/1Azms.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/79Z2EEk.png

Rinranrunning 1d100 for the amount of tsundere Fuji has for Kaguya.
Sakuya_Izayoi Rinranrunning rolled 1 100-sided dice. < 100 > Total: 100 (100).
Fujiwara no Mokou
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 28 May 2013 01:56

Letty Whiterock wrote:As far as Letty herself goes, I'll bear in mind what you've said, but at the same time I don't feel that she's nearly as limited as everyone seems to think. What it comes down to in my mind is how much effort she's willing to exert in order to remain active outside of winter. The fact that she has no real reason to interact with other people is another issue, but I would have thought that by interacting with people in PoIR's RP section (as in, having threads with other characters) would gradually alleviate that issue.

It's less that Letty has the means to be active outside of winter, and more that I think relatively few even remember Letty exists unless winter/cold is specifically on their mind. Chances are Letty will only be an afterthought of Cirno, even then. I think even fewer would think to center their attention for an entire thread on just winter/cold, which is Letty's key trait, and just about all canon establishes concretely.

I'm not saying that this is your only defining character trait, but I don't know your interpretation/past threads well enough to see how you have developed Letty into a three dimensional character. Others are no doubt in the same boat. There's little incentive to read about a character you aren't drawn to in the first place, and without this exposure, it's hard to get an impression across. I haven't seen any of your ideas/planning before, but maybe you're not advertising yourself to others as well as you might think? I wouldn't be opposed to a discussion about this with you on irc when you get time, Letty is a favorite of mine after all.

Sadly, she's not a very popular character all around. As Mokou has touched on, I do think a lot of members have specific characters in mind when they set out to start or join a thread. Letty just isn't in the picture often enough, meaning that scenes with the yuki-onna are likely more often done as favors, rather than a true desire to interact with the character.

(Even then, messing with the other seasonal beings such as Lily, the Akis, Yuuka, ect. seem acceptable to me right off the bat.)

Thinking about it, Eiki just recently took Yuuka. She's had a scene with Letty on the MUCK before, she might be up for some seasonal rivalry or such. Maybe Shizuha could get in on things too.

The shonen thing didn't quite click with me, mind. I was talking with both Kotohime (when I could actually contact her) and Yukari in IRC about how to approach the fight and bounced the attack ideas off them whenever I could specifically to avoid being too over the top.

Fair enough, I will say that Kotohime was the more over the top of you two there, and that thread is largely the impression I have of your Letty currently. I do remember reading a few of your posts for some other thread(s) (probably ones that died), but it's been so long I don't remember anything else.
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Hatate Himekaidou » 16 Jun 2013 04:22

How does one build an arc where there is no inspiration. When playing a character who's nature is very reactive? Who's not one for a big adventure. I'm not one to cause problems and really thus just only really works for one on one threads with some degree of what's the general plan for the scene.

But it means unless I get an a fast bite on a rather generic opening which anyone can jump onto easily I've really got no openings which works. Most of my thread ideas are simple patrols where Hatate's opening post is to get onto the site and start looking for something interesting.

Being tertiary cast without any real huge motivations or aims to create a massive scene which draws notice is making it harder to figure out how to get going as People tell me to go outside my comfort zone but its not really Hatate's nature really seems to imply that the simple fact she's actually going out to be getting news reports might be just that.

Side tangent: How do you find that you picked up the wrong character.
Hatate Himekaidou
Main Character

Postby Komachi Onozuka » 18 Jun 2013 00:03

You're taking being a more obscure character as being a weakness. I'd say you should turn it into a strength. Expand Hatate's personality some. Have her take an interest in becoming more worldly. Looking for new ways, and ideas of doing things. DS already plants a seed of her taking an interest in why Aya's paper is more popular and observing the way she reports. That mentality doesn't have to be Aya specific. You can apply it to many other events and characters that are around. Having a character that is less fleshed out gives you more room for innovation, than one that needs to be handled very specifically.

Yes, I agree Hatate is a reactive character. So you need to actually react. Look for threads that are going on, and have interesting events, and join it. If the thread is marked [Ask First], then ask. You never know how someone is going to react until you've taken a shot. Some characters are harder for people to come up with ideas on how to work with them. Sadly Hatate is one of those characters. This can also be a strength though. Since people feel the character is more ambiguous, they might be more willing to bring her into their thread, if you make them feel she can contribute to it's purpose. If you see a big event thread go on, jump in. The one in the human village, with Kogasa and myself, is a good example. What's happening is definitely news worthy.

On a last bit of more personal advice to you. Try to not be so negative about things. Sometime putting yourself in an uncomfortable situation is the best way to come up with ideas. one thread that you're unsure about joining, may lead to many ideas about future threads down the road. If some one approaches you with a thread idea, even if it's not perfectly worked out, try it if you have the time. Worst case scenario is that it doesn't work, and you have to ask for it to be locked. Best case is it inspires you. Be "reactive." Put yourself in a situation that forces you to react to the other posters, try to avoid scripting for a while. Take a risk.
Komachi Onozuka
Main Character

Previous

Return to General RP Discussion