This is getting out of hand

Discuss anything dealing with the Touhou: PoIR RP. Suggestions for forum improvement also go here.

This is getting out of hand

Postby Toyosatomimi no Miko » 26 Mar 2013 06:41

I know I will get a response similar to 'just join another thread', but that really not the point of this post. I have been waiting for my turn for more than 1 month now. I love the idea of the thread and I am willing to wait a week or two to reply, but this is too much; I have lost interest in it already and that makes me kind of mad to be honest. Something has to be done with the amount of posts needed a week. If people are replying to a thread a month late (even if it is an alt), it is obvious they don't have the interest.

I beg to reconsider going back to the old activity system.
Toyosatomimi no Miko
Main Character

Re: This is getting out of hand

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 26 Mar 2013 08:05

Just join anoth- *shot*

Well, I guess it won't hurt to ask why you don't want to join another thread?

Anyway, I do agree that something has to be done about the post-per-week thing, though. It might not mean much if the thread's players are active and post every few days or so, but when there's only one post a week, total, with a lot of players in a thread...

I don't suppose the old "less than 2 thread, have to post once every two weeks" is going to help there, either.
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Kanako Yasaka » 26 Mar 2013 18:13

I can understand your frustration, but to echo Merlin's sentiment, I am more than willing to help you out with a thread if you need a new one. Either as Kanako or as Meiling. You're not the only one who has threads die on them, so please reach out to the rest of us, we're more than happy to try and help you out.
Kanako Yasaka
Alternate Character

Postby Toyosatomimi no Miko » 26 Mar 2013 20:00

Merlin Prismriver wrote:Well, I guess it won't hurt to ask why you don't want to join another thread?

Anyway, I do agree that something has to be done about the post-per-week thing, though. It might not mean much if the thread's players are active and post every few days or so, but when there's only one post a week, total, with a lot of players in a thread...

Well, the problem is that it is not even a post a week, it is an entire month difference between mine and the next. I know that the person that made the thread stop was on hiatus. We could at least make something to help the thread continue while this person is away, skipping one turn (the person getting into hiatus has to inform in the thread about it, etc)... I don't know, but this truly is a pain. I would join another thread as you suggest, but it scares me that it will happen the same.

Kanako Yasaka wrote:I can understand your frustration, but to echo Merlin's sentiment, I am more than willing to help you out with a thread if you need a new one. Either as Kanako or as Meiling. You're not the only one who has threads die on them, so please reach out to the rest of us, we're more than happy to try and help you out.

Thank you, I will have that in mind.
Toyosatomimi no Miko
Main Character

Postby Patchouli Knowledge » 27 Mar 2013 00:41

Our rules do permit people to go ahead and skip others' turns if they want. A turn order in a thread isn't a hard and fast rule here.
A Locked Diary: Patchouli's Secret Journal
Spellcards: Patchouli Knowledge

Patchy's IRC channel: #Patchy's_Library at irc.darkmyst.org
Patchy's PbP forum: http://ronintorch.fallenash.com
Patchouli Knowledge
Main Character

Postby Hatate Himekaidou » 27 Mar 2013 01:21

Patchouli Knowledge wrote:Our rules do permit people to go ahead and skip others' turns if they want. A turn order in a thread isn't a hard and fast rule here.

I don't know what thread's Miko is in but if its a one on one that's kinda impossible to do.

That and this again shows that really that those not in the IRC tend to be overlooked by POIR because of how bad people are using this forum to communicate with others about problems. This is a systematic problem.

Also if you're looking for an interview I'll be there but I agree that this kind of situation is something I feared when they changed the system.
Hatate Himekaidou
Main Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 27 Mar 2013 20:20

As Merlin stated, this is a scenario that the previous activity system allowed all the same. Threads being stalled for over a month is nothing new, unfortunately. There's no activity system we could use that would solve this; the problem isn't litigation, it stems from players. There's not a lot we can do to force the disinterested, unwilling, or just plain busy to post. Any system we could come up with would punish players who are legitimately having a rough time, or for those whose schedule only really allows posting on weekends. This latter point was very vocally expressed during discussions back when we were clanging the activity system, a number of our players simply do not have any other time in the week to post outside of the weekend.

Now if we were to simply say we should forget those who can post only so seldomly, and that they are likely the same ones burned out, needing to drop anyways, I think it's safe to say that we would instantly alienate a good half of our current player base. If we lose that much of what we have currently, we might as well close up shop and start over elsewhere.

I agree that communication between players is abysmal at times, Hatate. But this is not exclusive to the forums. Frequenters of irc have shown they are just as prone to communication breakdown. If I have anything to suggest, it's that it's up to all of us as players (mods are players too) to communicate with one another about concerns more frequently, and be clear about them. Certainly it is unacceptable to stall a thread for over a month, but at the same time, why wait a full month when someone has contacted you to say anything about your frustrations? No one here is a mind reader (not OOCly at least), you can't assume that your concerns are as clear to others as they are to you. You have to speak up so that others know what's on your mind.

This is not something that can be fixed by policy, this is an issue with social interaction, and proactivity of communication between players. If this situation is ever going to improve at all, we are all going to have to change how we think and communicate here. Not just we as in some of our players, we as the entire community, need rethink how we communicate and interact with one another. Mods can change policy, but policy can't force changes in mind, people have to change their minds of their own will.

That said, I am more than willing to hear out concerns and take necessary action to improving things here. I just can't do it alone.
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Fujiwara no Mokou » 28 Mar 2013 07:18

That does sound frustrating, and I'm sorry the thread isn't working out.

As a question of policy though, I'd like to deconstruct what has been said here. I'm not sure of all the details of the case, but it sounds like someone has been on hiatus for two or more consecutive weeks and stalled a thread that has more than 2 people. The recommendation seems to be that we should require more posts per week, and increase the number of posts required per week so that doesn't happen.

If I have misinterpreted something I apologize, but assuming this is an accurate reading, let me correct the record.

1) No activity system can make a person post when they're on hiatus, that's the whole point. The only way to keep threads moving while people are on hiatus is to skip the person, which was made easier, not harder, in the new system. We encourage people to talk with their thread-mates about anything that affects their posting habits, and possibly skip turns where needed if everyone is okay with it.
2) Even if it mattered, the last activity system had the same per-week posting requirement as the last.
3) If you meant the per month 1 post anywhere system vs. every 2 week system for idling, rather than 1 post per thread per week for stalling, the one post every 2 weeks system did NOT apply a) to people with 2 threads or more, and b) people on hiatus. Believe it or not, the new system is actually more strict than the previous one, because the previous one had a glaring loophole.
4) While people having very different expectations about posting speed, and the general pace of the forums being a bit slow, has always been an issue, it sounds like this particular case happened for a rather specific and uncommon reason, and you probably don't need to worry about it happening in other threads.

http://i.imgur.com/1Azms.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/79Z2EEk.png

Rinranrunning 1d100 for the amount of tsundere Fuji has for Kaguya.
Sakuya_Izayoi Rinranrunning rolled 1 100-sided dice. < 100 > Total: 100 (100).
Fujiwara no Mokou
Forum/IRC Moderator

Return to General RP Discussion