So I was thinking about threads

Discuss anything dealing with the Touhou: PoIR RP. Suggestions for forum improvement also go here.

So I was thinking about threads

Postby Komachi Onozuka » 20 Feb 2013 01:36

Now i know there's a "looking for threads" uh... thread already, and that's kinda what this is about. But there's a some philosophical rambling to go along with it this time.

For some time now I've been wanting to pick up a thread or two for both Komachi and Rinnosuke. Now I have a few ideas i would like to explore for both characters, so I'm not really tapped, but I don't really want to dive into them yet. Some of them I don't feel set up for, others I'm still working out, and the rest... well we don't have the right characters around for it.

I would very much like to increase my post rate on the forum, but I'm finding myself at an impasse on exactly where I should go from here. I've had a few ideas thrown at me from time to time, and I haven't really shot many of them down. They just never really seem to happen. I suppose that's just the way things go sometimes.

I'm not really sure what my point is supposed to be with this. Just something that's been on my mind lately. That aside, I would like to open myself up for input and ideas.
Komachi Onozuka
Main Character

Re: So I was thinking about threads

Postby Alice Margatroid » 20 Feb 2013 15:11

I don't have any specific ideas, but I was thinking about getting a new thread for Keine, so maybe we could work something out with either of your characters. We'd need to come up with some kind of idea, though.
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 20 Feb 2013 20:24

Not sure if we could make a thread about it, but it could be interesting to explore a tsukumogami's place in the cycle of life and death. Taken from Kogasa's entry on the touhou wiki:

Ghosts, youkai, and possessed objects (such as Karakasa obake) are said to belong to a lower realm in the Six Realms of Buddhist belief. "Urameshiya" is often said by such creatures to express envy towards humans, whose place in the Human Realm affords them less suffering. Thus, "I envy your life!" would be a more appropriate translation, although it tends to be used in the same context as "Boo!"

Beyond the lower realm belonging, tsukumogami in particular are interesting in that they did not come out of living things, or the spirits of living things (which is pretty much most ghosts, youkai, divine beings, humans, even arguably poltergeist, which generally come about in response to the emotions of living beings), but from the 'spirit' residing in an inanimate object itself. I haven't looked much more into Buddhist beliefs on tsukumogami, though I did come across one story where tsukumogami become hermits and eventually ascend to Buddhas. There's also the general belief that all objects have a spirit, or 'god', that resides in them; whereas an object that is well taken care of and used to the point of being no longer usable is pleased and becomes deified, one that is neglected and eventually forgotten becomes envious and outraged, springing to life for the sole purpose of seeking revenge.

In a sense, Hina is an object that was used to the point of fulfilling her purpose, and thus deified. Of course, Hina also has ties to religious ceremonies, similar to Shikieiki herself. I kinda see Hina as what a tsukumogami might have become if not neglected; add the legend that describes tsukumogami ascending to Nirvana, and it's not that far fetched that tsukumogami can ascend and descend along realms in their own right. Regardless, they still have a harder time, not possessing free will or sentience from the start of their existence.

I think it's an interesting situation to explore, and if anyone would have any input to give on it, Komachi is up there on speaking authorities.
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Komachi Onozuka » 26 Feb 2013 22:44

Sorry it took me a while to respond. I've been a bit distracted this week. Alice I think iw oudl like to do something with Keine. Give me a bit of time to work something out.

Kogasa, that sounds like an interesting idea. I'll have to do some research and thinking to be able to figure it out, but I'm willing to give it a run. feel free to start the thread when you get the chance.
Komachi Onozuka
Main Character

Return to General RP Discussion