Poll: Changes to PoIR canon

Discuss anything dealing with the Touhou: PoIR RP. Suggestions for forum improvement also go here.

If you had to choose, which would you prefer?

Make continuity between threads opt-in; each thread would represent a distinct timeline.
29%
Make a new IC subforum where players can role play things outside of PoIR canon.
63%
Host a new, separate sister site for role play outside of PoIR canon.
8%

Total votes : 24

Poll: Changes to PoIR canon

Postby Patchouli Knowledge » 20 Nov 2012 08:34

When voting for which option, please think which one of the three choices you would really prefer.
A Locked Diary: Patchouli's Secret Journal
Spellcards: Patchouli Knowledge

Patchy's IRC channel: #Patchy's_Library at irc.darkmyst.org
Patchy's PbP forum: http://ronintorch.fallenash.com
Patchouli Knowledge
Main Character

Re: Poll: Changes to PoIR canon

Postby Patchouli Knowledge » 20 Nov 2012 09:23

Bumping to note that if you aren't sure what any of the three choices mean, please don't hesitate to ask for clarifications.
A Locked Diary: Patchouli's Secret Journal
Spellcards: Patchouli Knowledge

Patchy's IRC channel: #Patchy's_Library at irc.darkmyst.org
Patchy's PbP forum: http://ronintorch.fallenash.com
Patchouli Knowledge
Main Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 20 Nov 2012 18:25

Third option is ideal, but I doubt you guys can stretch your resources quite that far. That would double the moderation workload among other things!
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Rin Satsuki » 21 Nov 2012 14:46

Moderation isn't as much of an issue as actually getting the new site going, let alone finding a place to host the new site.

Says the software admin.
Rin Satsuki
Software Admin

Postby Yukari Yakumo » 23 Nov 2012 21:44

There's one issue that's been brought up, that being characters with multiple players over the years.

While for some players who've stubbornly held onto their characters from the very beginning, or not changed over much, there isn't too much of an issue. However, for characters with a higher turnover of players, a lot of threads get retconned and removed - and there is no real easy way to tell whether a very old thread has been retconned or not, only in the player's minds and by mutual agreement. Outsiders and people who may take up the character in future wouldn't know what's what. The character journals were intended in at least part to make up this difference, but those are optional and haven't really been well kept.

We all do like to keep what we've done as a permanent legacy for the Touhous we play, but ultimately, others will have a different view on their characters - and they may wish to lead them in different ways.

For the three options, I'd personally say that tying together bunches of threads in related events would be the most effective sort of canon, as those can be at least defined and completed and tied off by a group; anything outside that would be opt-in, for example, the relationship between two characters. This does make things a lot more fuzzy and simplified in terms of relations between multiple people, but those were already in fuzzy shape as is.

The closest to this is option one.

That's my two pence.
Yukari Yakumo
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Letty Whiterock » 06 Dec 2012 03:04

Now that I've had the options explained to me, the three options come down to 1) Letting a newcomer start with a clean slate and not have to worry about the previous player(s) continuity unless they want to, 2) Create a sub-forum to let players experiment with other characters, and 3) say 'screw it' and create a sister forum to attempt to alleviate the current problem.

My personal opinion is to implement option 1 and try out option 2. The third one just seems like it'd be more pain than it's worth.
Letty Whiterock
Main Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 03 Jan 2013 12:20

Locking this as both options 1 (See New Policy Regarding Continuity on PoIR and 2 (Visionary Gensokyo) have both become reality for PoIR. Let's focus on the pressing issue of activity policy revision for now. Please read our current new activity system idea and speak your mind. Also, if you haven't already, please vote in our poll covering PoIR's pace and elaborate on your stance here.
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Return to General RP Discussion