Poll: Are you satisfied with the current pace of PoIR?

Discuss anything dealing with the Touhou: PoIR RP. Suggestions for forum improvement also go here.

Are you satisfied with the current pace of PoIR?

Yes, I am perfectly happy with how often my turn to roleplay comes up.
52%
No, having to wait up to a month for my turn in threads is ridiculous.
48%

Total votes : 29

Poll: Are you satisfied with the current pace of PoIR?

Postby Patchouli Knowledge » 20 Nov 2012 08:30

After voting, please reply with details on your stance.
A Locked Diary: Patchouli's Secret Journal
Spellcards: Patchouli Knowledge

Patchy's IRC channel: #Patchy's_Library at irc.darkmyst.org
Patchy's PbP forum: http://ronintorch.fallenash.com
Patchouli Knowledge
Main Character

Re: Poll: Are you satisfied with the current pace of PoIR?

Postby Rin Satsuki » 20 Nov 2012 08:34

Having to wait half a month is ridiculous, let alone a full month.

I can understand if there are exceptional circumstances, but one post from one character each week is just absurd by anybody's standards.
Rin Satsuki
Software Admin

Postby Patchouli Knowledge » 20 Nov 2012 09:12

While coasting by and waiting several weeks for my turn to come up in threads has worked out favorably for me, I don't like staying idle so long. It makes me lose inspiration and focus.

I defintely would prefer things to go faster.
A Locked Diary: Patchouli's Secret Journal
Spellcards: Patchouli Knowledge

Patchy's IRC channel: #Patchy's_Library at irc.darkmyst.org
Patchy's PbP forum: http://ronintorch.fallenash.com
Patchouli Knowledge
Main Character

Postby Mima » 20 Nov 2012 12:11

While I voted for the 'not a month' option, it's never actually been a month for me.
Mima
Main Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 20 Nov 2012 12:47

While I've only recently rejoined PoIR, and have found a thread with a good pace (several posts in a day at points, courtesy of Meiling), the norm seems to be one reply per week on average. I know in some cases, a few have had their turn stalled in threads for over a month, though it's the more extreme end.

I think the important distinction is not how happy or unhappy you are with the current pace, but if you are happy or unhappy with it at all. I know I'd be frustrated if my chance to role play only came up once a week, let alone the extreme of once a month.

I've noticed an alarming pattern of posts clustering up on Saturdays, right before activity scans. I know we can do better than that, everyone. This is role play, something for fun, it shouldn't be a chore.
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Hong Meiling » 20 Nov 2012 18:13

At first I felt it was just about right. But after reading Kogasa's comments they seem far closer to the mark; we could do with more frequent posting. However, I'm not as embroiled in college like many of our members here are so arguably I have more time to spend posting during the week. I understand many probably don't want to post unless they feel they can make it a quality one.
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Sakuya Izayoi » 20 Nov 2012 18:28

It's hard when I lose momentum because of extremely slow posting. I have to reread a good bit of the thread just to post once. Makes me feel like I want to procrastinate.

People have lives and jobs though. It's hard to keep up on occasion. I would like to see the posting frequency sped up quite a bit during summer and the holidays though. I'll be happy to brainstorm with you all.
Sakuya Izayoi
Main Character

Postby Satori Komeiji » 21 Nov 2012 00:55

To be perfectly honest, I'm completely content with the posting pace of PoIR since it's mostly around a week normally, a few days if it is a particularly fast moving thread/poster, and at its slowest around 10-12 days. It might be the general pace of the threads I'm in, but this is the norm I observe.

Of course I'm part of the 'weekenders' club and I can adapt to a slower rate of posting from several boards I was on, so it might be my bias speaking.
Satori Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Rin Satsuki » 21 Nov 2012 14:44

Sakuya Izayoi wrote: I would like to see the posting frequency sped up quite a bit during summer and the holidays though. I'll be happy to brainstorm with you all.

That would only apply for the admittedly large proportion of users in the continental United States. Everyone else has different holidays.

I voted for the second option. In my opinion, having to wait longer than a week for turns to come up in a thread is rather silly.
Rin Satsuki
Software Admin

Postby Shizuha Aki » 25 Nov 2012 08:06

I know I've held up my share of threads. In fact, I'm pretty sure everyone here has. But we've tried getting people to post faster, with more scans or whatnot, and it typically leads to stress and burnout. More people have left PoIR due to activity notices than to feeling the RP moves too slow.

We have a chat for poking people in, and what I would like to see is perhaps chat-based RP, not as a substitute to threads, but as a supplement. We could do RP in the chat, then type it up in a better format for the record in the forum. Perhaps the threads would go in a separate subforum, perhaps in the subforum it took place in. It'd be an interesting experiment, at least.
Shizuha's Journal
<Kogasa> 1d100 Shizuha is wonderful
<Director> Kogasa, Shizuha is wonderful: 100 [1d100=100]
Shizuha Aki
Main Character

Postby Letty Whiterock » 06 Dec 2012 02:32

I feel that the current pace of the forum is both fine and somewhat aggravating. Fine in the sense that I don't feel rushed at any point, but aggravating because I feel that it would be more fun to actually get somewhere with a thread. I do lean more toward being fine with the current pace though.
Letty Whiterock
Main Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 03 Jan 2013 04:10

Late post is late.

I think it's not as much as the schedule that's bothering the pace as the posting order. I know it's not an actual rule to post in turns, but (at least from the FAQ) I get the feeling that it is heavily recommended. While I know that this is meant to avoid a player from being left behind, it also slows down those who actually have something to post.

Without having to post in order, those who do want to post can, while those who don't want to at the moment don't have to. There's also the problem with someone being left behind, but it really should just be common courtesy to avoid this.

And then there's possibility of someone who only post once in a thread, and hardly ever again. I personally don't find this a problem; it might just works (i.e. Merlin drops into a thread, play some music, and that's that. It adds atmosphere, and people can still interact with her without being forced to).

Of course, they still have to post somewhere.

TL;DR: I find new activity system idea to works perfectly well.

Oh, and, uhh... I'm actually more on the "find the current system too rigid" camp. I try to have fun, but sometimes I just feel too forced to post, mainly because of the posting order thing I explained above, to the point that I wouldn't mind having to wait a month to post. I just end up not caring for the thread's pace.
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Hatate Himekaidou » 03 Jan 2013 22:05

I completely disagree as this will pretty much lead to mass character squatting, abandoning of alts, and generally make the Christmas time slowdown become the norm. This makes it so instead of the Great Rush of Saturday we'll have people either running 4 Threads and doing one post in them before that last check. Or people who don't do it just striking out as they'll just wonder if they've been abandoned.

Also to guests looking at the forums and seeing about three threads with posts a week is going to presume this place is dying and thus not even bother.

The new idea is going to kill PoIR as honestly more than a week without activity I find it hard to care anymore about a thread, when it becomes me waiting a MONTH between posts it'll lead to people quit. Making me have to keep 3 throw away threads and hope that when the poster decide to post I'm there to respond or I'll just pick up strikes left and right.

As it is this place looks like a ghost town.
Hatate Himekaidou
Main Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 04 Jan 2013 14:08

True, there's the problem with threads being completely ignored. But I think this can be solved with less schedule rule, and more about the players themselves caring for the thread. If everyone in a single thread just don't ever feel like they want to post to a thread, even after weeks, then I think it's the problem with the thread, and not the players themselves.

Mmm... Not sure how to solve it though.
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Fujiwara no Mokou » 04 Jan 2013 21:30

The problem that occurs sometimes, however, is that one person will be slow for whatever reason, and the others will lose some of their enthusiasm while waiting, and the thread gets a little bit slower, and then that slowdown causes them to post a little bit slower than that, etc. It's best to make sure the momentum keeps up, barring hiatuses of course. A rolling stone gathers no moss and whatnot.

http://i.imgur.com/1Azms.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/79Z2EEk.png

Rinranrunning 1d100 for the amount of tsundere Fuji has for Kaguya.
Sakuya_Izayoi Rinranrunning rolled 1 100-sided dice. < 100 > Total: 100 (100).
Fujiwara no Mokou
Forum/IRC Moderator

Next

Return to General RP Discussion