[Ask First] Gonzo Journalism

Archive for threads set in the Underworld.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Ask First] Gonzo Journalism

Postby Satori Komeiji » 06 Mar 2013 16:43

She was somewhere around the outskirts of the grounds of the Palace of Earth Spirits when she questioned her own decision. She remembers thinking about the whole absurdity of the situation. “The articles are fine, but they lack certain frankness.” “If that’s your opinion why not write the articles yourself?” “That’s a ridiculous notion, here’s why.“ It is roughly how the battle between the different voices of her consciousness went when she weighed down the positives and negatives of her latest writing project. From most point of views it’s not even a surefire way to start a writing project, but Satori rationalized that she won’t lose anything if she does try, and now here she is. Asking her pets about the ‘crazy tengu lady’ and her preferred route to deliver the (admittedly sporadic) issues of her newspaper didn’t take much effort, unlike the tengu’s determination to please her readers. In a way she can respect Shameimaru’s drive as it’s genuine in her part, and the fact that it takes very literal effort to deliver the papers to what can be described as ‘parts unknown’ place like her residence. That’s why (among other, more personal things, like potentially her own enjoyment) she takes the time to deliver her own thoughts face-to-face.

Satori has never been one for verbal debates. She prefers to express herself in writings, and if the one addressed by the literal device would comply so much the better. Reading offers more time to construct reasonable arguments and lessens the factor of spontaneous, emotionally-charged responses from clouding the judgment. In fact for this occasion she had prepared a series of constructive criticism for the newspaper neatly trimmed into a single page of words. The fact that she never actually saw Aya handle criticism or recalled a memory of her doing so is the biggest deciding factor of her preparation, and while she hoped that the tengu can at least take her words well she also had every reason to facilitate the desired outcome.

Hope this is early enough, she thought as she stares at the empty expanse that constitutes the path that leads to the Old Capital, and by extension the hole to the surface. It has been a relatively quiet road for obvious reasons, and the arrival of anyone from the direction of the Old Capital would be readily noticeable unless they’re actively trying to be subtle. Shameimaru Aya isn’t noted as being subtle when delivering newspapers, or so her pets thought.
Satori Komeiji
Alternate Character

Re: [Ask First] Gonzo Journalism

Postby Aya Shameimaru » 15 Mar 2013 23:58

Subtly was certainly not on Aya's mind as she delved through the rock and dark of the underground, the cramped conditions leading her to sometimes move on foot, the 'clack, clack' of her geta echoing eerily through the caverns. The tengu mostly remembered the path back to the Palace of Earth Spirits, so it was only with a couple dead ends that Satori would eventually be able to pick up the stray thoughts such as

'Why can't fairies at least be intelligent enough to make this route?'
and
'I wonder if Satori knows about that picture back there in that crevice. Not a particularly...endearing piece of work there.'

Such thoughts of course ceased once Aya breached into the main cavern of the palace, blinking her eyes to adjust to the brighter lights in the dim cavern. It wasn't hard for her to notice Satori waiting out there, paper in hand. A final burst of speed brought the tengu floating a few inches above the ground, giving the satori a wave.

"Heya, Satori. What brings you out here? Wanting my news that badly?"
Aya Shameimaru
Main Character

Postby Satori Komeiji » 22 Mar 2013 17:53

Even without Satori’s abilities she couldn’t missed the sounds of the coming of the tengu, which stood out from the quiet surroundings of the cave. That, and the unmistakable thoughts of the reporter echoed a bit too loudly for literally the only person that can hear them.

The tengu remains remarkably upbeat despite the journey she just undertook, grumbling thoughts notwithstanding. The gust caused by the tengu’s swooping flight almost starting a localized twister effect that, while it’s not strong enough to move the satori from her standing position, is more than enough to send the stack of paper if not for the quick thinking in the part of Satori to tighten her grip around them, all without outwardly displaying discomfort.

“To answer your first question...yes, I’m in fact aware of the drawing and I’m fine with it for the most part. Secondly, about the following questions, while I am looking forward to reading your articles I have a few things to say about the newspaper itself,” She said as she tidies the pile of papers from its previous chaotic state. “It’s all in there, let me provide you with the opportunity to read it as I read your newspaper, a fair trade isn’t it?” Satori said as she unsubtly offers the pile of papers to Aya.

”While there have been instances of engaging writing and interesting materials, the newspaper often suffers from too much subjectivity and personal opinion…in a non-editorial article. Such as the case where… (insert examples here).”

“You’re free to disregard my advices as soon as you read it, but I feel it’s my duty as a reader to point out the parts where I felt are lacking and offer up ways to improve on the writings itself. There are a lot of ways to do it, such as…(insert rambling here).”

The manuscript isn’t incredibly long, but for the unprepared it could seem overwhelming and long winded. Despite of the tone it sometimes take, the paper genuinely offers some well-thought of arguments in Satori’s part…just perhaps worded a bit blunt. However the tengu would react to it remains to be seen…
Satori Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Aya Shameimaru » 30 Mar 2013 20:45

Aya chuckled as she rubs the back of her head. Having her thoughts answered was always a bit disconcerting no matter how often it's happened. Not that she would blame Satori, for all Aya knew the ability was an involuntary action, like hearing people chattering around you loudly.

She does reach for the papers from Satori as she hands over her newspaper, her eyes scanning over the sheets as she lets herself just read the (probably virulent-sounding if she had to guess) comments.

”While there have been instances of engaging writing and interesting materials, the newspaper often suffers from too much subjectivity and personal opinion…in a non-editorial article. Such as the case where… (insert examples here).”

“You’re free to disregard my advices as soon as you read it, but I feel it’s my duty as a reader to point out the parts where I felt are lacking and offer up ways to improve on the writings itself. There are a lot of ways to do it, such as…(insert rambling here).”

Looking over the paper, the tengu seemed to be a rather blank slate on the outside, she didn't seem to be concentrating on what was being written in her thoughts either as she almost absentmindedly ripped up the papers and threw the scraps over her shoulder. "Eh. I've heard worse." was her lone reply, perhaps a bit of an edge to it. After all, most times it was just how she should stop writing up fiction, not provide criticism to her pride-filled work. And over a thousand years of work left a lot of pride to have to sort through.

Walking around Satori as the girl read the tengu's papers, she hmms to herself as she inspected the pink-haired youkai, pondering. "I got an idea. Why not do some journalistic approaches yourself? Go out and take in the sights. Interview the people. Get all the juicy ideas and write your own stories, then submit it to me for my paper? It'd give you something to do besides rot away down here." Aya said, her mind brimming with the possibilities with a mind-reader working for her. No lies to get in the way. Only truth and a little spice for excitement!
Aya Shameimaru
Main Character

Postby Satori Komeiji » 09 Apr 2013 07:05

The words ‘Hunting Trinkets in Underground Shops’ greets Satori as she first opens the newspaper, an article detailing the shops and nuances of the underground Old Capital’s rather colorful collection of shops. Perhaps nothing that would interest the palate of those above ground, a rather telling commentary on the popularity of the newspaper, but certainly would interest a reader living in the underground, namely her. If she’s a financial advisor that’s another thing that she would advise the tengu, that her articles sometimes feels like the extension of her whimsical thoughts instead of news reputing and won’t interest a broad range of audience. However, she’s a writer, and she would only criticize the aspects she feels worth criticizing.

While her pair of eyes is busy reading the articles, the third eye remains stationary at watching the tengu wading through the paper. For the most part she displays no outward reaction towards the words, even her thoughts are simply neutral, no malice, no denial, not even resentment towards the criticism. Rather it’s a feeling of blasé, a jaded reaction towards the criticism that she faced a thousand times before. Satori wonders if the tengu would become a better conventional writer than she is a journalist. On that thought the tengu recovers quickly enough to examine the satori reading her newspaper with rather excited demeanor. While Satori’s glad Shameimaru’s taking this well, she’s not quite sure about the fallout…

"I got an idea. Why not do some journalistic approaches yourself? Go out and take in the sights. Interview the people. Get all the juicy ideas and write your own stories, then submit it to me for my paper? It'd give you something to do besides rot away down here."

Satori took her attention off the newspaper to read its writer, now positively excited with the possibilities that the satori would bring to her newspaper, and apparently without a care for failure. “Is that how you usually obtain helpers for the newspaper?” With a sigh, she folds the newspaper up and shifts her attention fully towards the tengu. “While I’m not exactly opposed to the idea…I’m not used to write something non-fiction.”
Satori Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Aya Shameimaru » 24 Apr 2013 17:27

Aya grins as she stops pacing to stand in front of Satori, not very perturbed at having that third eye constantly following her around. "I don't usually get helpers for the newspaper at all. I do practically all of the work myself other than deliveries." the tengu said proudly. Of course it'd make sense she couldn't make all deliveries on her own fast as she is. Gensokyo was simply too large to be able to find every single person on her own and faeries do quite well enough in locating people.

"As for the whole non-fiction part, just write what you see and give opinions on it. That's all you need to do, just reports really." Aya said before pausing again and giving Satori a quick lookover. "Then again...write what ya got and pass it to me. I'll give it a bit of a fixing up if I think it needs it." she finished. Of course fixing up meant more spinning the tale a bit to excite, but that's just par for the course for her.
Aya Shameimaru
Main Character

Postby Satori Komeiji » 05 May 2013 12:51

“That might be true,” despite the constant back and forth the tengu’s engaging right now, Satori remained unperturbed on her newspaper reading, the (natural, some might say) reaction earlier being gradually settling into a more manageable pace once she takes her time to read the tengu’s stream of consciousness. There’s even a certain…proud reference to her newspaper, a desire to take it even further than the semi-successful rag that it already is. The success is even more impressive that it’s because of the effort of a lone youkai…though it seems that Aya won’t take no for an answer.

“Then why start now? Surely you’re doing alright by yourself.” Rhetorical question by Satori’s part, given that she can already guess the answer will be.

“And while I’m not necessarily against the ideas themselves…” glancing at the burning paper that was her written criticism just a minute ago, “Are you really that interested about my writing? Or is it about something else…?”
Satori Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Aya Shameimaru » 18 May 2013 19:52

Aya grinned and waggled a finger in front of Satori's face. "If not now, then when? I can get you to join in and have all the scoops under my fingers...er...help finding juicy stories. So what's to lose? Not like you'll have much to do down here unless you're into the drunken oni parties." she said with a look that clearly showed she wouldn't believe Satori was into such unless she saw it for herself.

"Besides, a little help is always nice. And if I can inject new stories from someone whom others might be more easily found out by then by all means let the stories flow in!" Obviously the tengu had interest in making her papers more interesting and readable by everyone in Gensokyo, but just how far was she willing to go? "And of course I'm interested in your writing. Why else would I be?" she continues as she starts to hover off the ground slightly.
Aya Shameimaru
Main Character

Postby Satori Komeiji » 26 May 2013 01:09

“Ugh, don’t remind me…” There was a certain disgust in her tone and her face’s not telling the usual calm and deadpan Satori, as if she’s remembering a memory so foul and traumatic that even she wants to see it buried. “I made a token appearance on one of Hoshiguma’s parties, it was a disaster. When I came, the general back-alley ambience of the inn’s suite was so rotten, so incredibly foul even by Hell’s standard…all those signs of violence…There was evidence in this room of excessive consumption of every known type of intoxicating drink known in Hell…and then some. What kind of drunkard needs a whole bottle of Black Eye Chasm on top of Red Scourge? Would it explain the traces of broken bottles on the wall or the various holes on the floor? Those were not…normal, whatever they might tell you. It was too…savage. Too aggressive.”

An uncomfortable silence descends upon the two individuals as Satori composed herself. “I immediately hauled my pets’ carcasses and high-tailed it,” she added.

“…But yes, the offer of course,” Another silence makes itself known as Satori seems to consider the words of the tengu carefully. She’s got a point, and writing is writing no matter how well you dress it. The satori maiden has been doing it for so long that might as well be second nature to her. The reporting bit brought her another flashback of her sister’s attempts to make her more ‘sociable’, though this one is decidedly more appealing for her. It’s a hell lot more pleasant than getting locked out of your own house at least.

“If you insist…I can’t say no to that.” As she finished the sentence, she holds up two of her fingers in front of the tengu. “But I have two conditions. One, I have full creativity control over my piece. Criticisms are welcomed, but forceful efforts to make me change my writing will be ignored. Two, I will write under a pseudonym, which will perhaps be more convenient for your paper and myself in the long run.” Her reputation, as they always say, precedes her after all.
Satori Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Aya Shameimaru » 08 Jun 2013 08:24

Several scribbles into her notebook was the response the tengu had towards Satori's description of the oni party. "I dunno. Did they bring out the Four Diva Punch? That's really just nothing more than the four's personal favorite boozes poured into a giant bowl. I can at least tell you didn't get the Oni Punch Surprise." Aya said with a wry grimace, palming her face as though in a past memory. "I can tell ya, that one's literal."

Oni parties. Oh the stories Aya could tell about them. Although she'd probably get shot down pretty quickly by the tengu. Old memories best forgot after all. Especially that last party before the oni left the mountain. There's a reason there's so many waterfalls on Youkai mountain after all.

The reporter does hmm out loud as she considers the conditions that Satori has brought up. "I dunno...This is /my/ paper after all. If you're not up to the standards needed for it, then you have to let me touch it up a bit." Aya replied with a small shrug of a shoulder. "As for the pseudonym... How about you go as Headcase? Or maybe Blindlie? What do you think of The Underground Facade?"
Aya Shameimaru
Main Character

Postby Satori Komeiji » 11 Jun 2013 07:49

At Aya’s words Satori becomes noticeably paler by the second. Her right hand covers her mouth momentarily as if she’s trying to suppress a gag reflex by the taste of a phantom concoction running down her throat. Her reaction only lasts a few seconds before she managed to compose herself back, although traces of her disgust is still noticeably apparent in her expression.

“N-no I haven’t…and I don’t think I want to.” Her mood bounced upwards once Aya switch the topic of the conversation back to the complications of the newspaper.

“As you might have guessed, I don’t have much experience with editors.” Satori’s words have a subtle but noticeable hint of pride in it; after all she has also been writing for a long time. “Nor do I think I need it, to be perfectly honest. If you think that my writings are not up to par say it to me personally.” There was a slight pause before Satori continues, “There’s a good chance that I will agree with you if I think it’s justified. Though…” She hesitates for a moment before continuing, “If you have doubts about my writings, why not read a news story written by me? You need not commit anything else if it dissatisfies you.”

“I do have my own pseudonyms…” She shakes her head at the names thrown around with reckless abandon, “If I use those names I’ll be found out in no time flat…but perhaps the same can be said for my old pseudonyms. Hmm…” She brings her right hand to her chin, searching deep within the reserves of her memories for a name she can use… “…Blind Hoichi. Let’s go with that name. It sounds nondescript enough that it can be anyone using it.”
Satori Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Aya Shameimaru » 29 Jun 2013 01:08

Aya was quite amused by the expression Satori was showing, and didn't bother hiding it either. After all, if Satori was (probably) reading her mind, what could would hiding it physically be? "Yeah...like I said, that last one is an actual punch."

"I suppose you write well enough to not need me to edit a lot of what your write." the tengu continued, pulling out her notebook to jot down a few notes. "Question I have though is, how often would you be willing to send me the articles? And would you be willing to go out into the surface to get news? The underground might be interesting, but most of my subscribers would probably never be able to visit so their interest wouldn't be too high."

"Blind Hoichi hmm? Not too bad a pseudonym I suppose. When would you think of getting started? Need a couple days to get things together?"
Aya Shameimaru
Main Character

Postby Satori Komeiji » 08 Jul 2013 15:32

“I do believe my current complications about underground residence are not entirely my own volition,” Satori replied, her tone slightly raised because the tengu didn’t really consider her response and its consequences…Not that it will stop Satori from writing, nope. “However…I can and have searched for writing materials in the past, and I see no immediate harm in continuing to do so. It is, of course, provided that no unwanted attention hinders my trip.”

“I can start immediately. I don’t need practical period.” Satori said confidently, despite not knowing the subtle differences of journalism and her usual writing activities. “Isn’t that how you would prefer it? It’s not going to be much different than usual.” Maybe, maybe not. “Is there anything specific that you would like me to write? I’m open to requests.” Satori says as she observes the images inside the tengu’s head turning, showing the most likely image to represent her current thought…
Satori Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Aya Shameimaru » 20 Jul 2013 19:01

Aya gave a slightly dismissive shrug at Satori's complaints about the underground. With the years that Aya's lived, it'd be surprising that someone doesn't realize she flows with her own wind. The tengu nodded to the satori's affirmation of going above ground for articles. "Well that's good, but don't let what I say bias your search. If you find anything particularly juicy down here to write about, don't hesitate to do so."

Listening to Satori speaking, the reporter tengu let out a sigh before wrapping her arm around the other youkai's shoulders. "Now now, no need to be so polite. We're co-workers now, well techincally I'm your boss, but I don't care for theatrics much." Patting Satori on the shoulder, the tengu starts to walk off with her. "Now, let's go celebrate this with a nice drink! You do have some underground sake right? Been wanting to try some of that."
Aya Shameimaru
Main Character

Postby Satori Komeiji » 26 Jul 2013 18:47

In retrospect, Satori is lucky enough to make contact with someone who is a bit carefree in regards of the pact between the upper and underground, appreciative of her writings (or her abilities…) with a few reservations, and is open-minded about the possibilities of news from the underground to boot. Negotiations seldom go that smoothly, and if Aya was someone who is even casually stickler to the rules Satori doubts the conversation about her recruitment would go that fast.

“Don’t concern yourself too much about it, I will write what I consider worthy to write. Most of the time.” The negotiation’s winding down to agreement for both parties, and Satori recognizes that fact. “Occasionally I entertain requests, but only for…friends.” She hesitates putting the last word in there because it was mostly to facilitate her pets’ education, but there’s nothing more appropriate to describe them. “Now that perhaps you’ll be publishing my writings I suppose you’re another exception…”

How unusual, I wonder if this is alright…

If Satori’s uncomfortable by Aya’s instant-friendship attitude she managed to hide it quite comfortably; or indeed feeling anything at all by Aya’s sudden grab shoulder initiative. “…I don’t drink sake except for…special occasion,” judging by her mood and thoughts it seems Aya does consider this a special occasion, so Satori’s weak attempts at denial ended up affirming the situation even more so.

“I don’t have any stock available in my residence. Didn’t expect any guests or celebrations anytime soon so it’s usually my pets who-Hey, are you listening?” Satori’s protests really didn’t get through to the tengu’s ‘festival’ mood, which probably means that she’s buying those underground sakes in the end. Folding the newspaper on hand and tucks it under her right arm, Satori clumsily tries to keep up with the increasingly hasty tengu, mouthing directions on the while.

Unbeknownst to the tengu however, Satori’s third eye kept sampling the writing found in the newspaper, particularly all those interviews. Despite her confident rebuke earlier, Satori still has little experience with using…decidedly living sources as writing material. She still has her reservations of course, but she figured it won’t be too different from her usual tactics …

Hopefully.

…We’ll just have to wait and see.

(End of Thread)
Satori Komeiji
Alternate Character

Return to Archive