[Private] Birdkeeping

Archive for threads set in the Underworld.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Private] Birdkeeping

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 25 Aug 2011 21:32

((This is for Okuu and Satori, maybe Koishi and if-we-get-an-Orin if they'd want to, but still ask first.))

"Kaw, kaw..."

Inside the Palace of the Earth Spirits, there were many pets. And many of them were hell ravens. But one, in particular, stood out. The bird was larger than most of the others, but also had a cute little bow on its head. The most distinguishing tribute, though, was the large third eye protruding from it's breast. Even without reading its heart, or communicating with it in general, anyone could tell that this was the non-human form of the oh-so-infamous Utsuho Reiuji.

But today she didn't look very threatening. Instead, the bird was aimlessly hopping around her master's home, looking for her. All her jobs were done, and she couldn't wait to tell Satori-sama all about her day. She had gone to the Ancient City and met someone ELSE running on nuclear energy! And also about the tournament she was in now, and how she was going to give her and Orin the prizes she was gonna win. Not to mention... Okuu really hadn't had much bonding time with her master lately. With all of her jobs lately, and going to various places, she'd only had small amounts of time to see the satori. And she missed those times, and wanted to get back into the habit.

So this was why Utsuho was currently (quite annoyingly) cawing out to see if she could find Satori, occasionally flying to another area, and sometimes making a sound that was more of a "kuuu" than "kaw". But despite her sounds, the bird really only had one thing really coming from her heart- Satori-sama, Satori-sama, I want to see you! Everything else she wanted to tell was also spilling out, but that was the main message she was conveying from inside.
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Re: [Private] Birdkeeping

Postby Satori Komeiji » 25 Aug 2011 22:48

The Palace's study - really a slightly small library - really needed to be updated. Most of the texts were from ancient times, before the underground was sealed off from the humans and youkai above. Being stuck in Hell with nothing to do, Satori had of course read all of them several times over, and, before the incident where the underground was opened, had begun committing them to memory.

With the unsealing, Satori was again able to see fresh air and the sky. How she had missed them!

Then again, she was also able to see humans again. This did not make her very happy.

However, she had begun a correspondence with some humans of the settlement above, aiming to procure new texts for her study, so as to update its contents. It was a slow endeavor; Gensokyo was not able to produce literary works, save for that dreadful newspaper, quickly.

Shelving the book she was holding, the satori returned the the cushy armchair that was used for reading, and plopped herself into the soft seat. How am I going to accomplish this task without completely exhausting my finances? Time isn't exactly an issue for me, but the money... Contemplating other ways to go about her task, she heard the very chatty thoughts of a particular pet of hers coming from inside the palace. Ah, Utsuho. I have not seen her in some time.

Calling out into the hallways, Satori tried to get her pet's attention. "Okuu, I'm in the study!" she yelled out, attempting to get her voice as far as possible. "Also, don't break through the walls!"
Satori Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 25 Aug 2011 23:38

Okuu perked up as she caught the sound of her Master's voice. Her little head darted back and forth as she tried to pick up where it was coming from. But then she registered that Satori said she was in the study. If her mouth wasn't a beak right now, it would surely be grinning. With a quick flap of her wings she was airborne, and, trying to take Satori's advice about not breaking through the walls, the raven tried her best to navigate herself through the palace. It had been a long time since she had been in the study, but trying her best to go deep down in her memory, Utsuho finally managed to find it, and when her eyes caught site of the purple haired girl, she let out a very happy "Kaw!" and quickly soared over to land on her Master's lap.

Satori-sama! I have a lot to tell you! A lot happened recently! I went to the Ancient City today! I met an... An... Anrode who also used nuclear energy! And, and, I'm in a tournament! They're offering prizes, and I'm gonna win, I know it, but I don't really want the prizes, so I want to ask you and Orin what you want! And I've been getting so much stronger! And I haven't tried to conquer the world! And I've done all my work lately! Also, you don't have to make me dinner tonight, I promise I'm not hungry! The thoughts all rushed out of Utsuho's heart as she happily flapped her wings and made herself comfortable on Satori, but there were two desires that she weren't purposefully putting out, though they would be clearly heard by any satori with a working third eye.

The first was I'm so glad to see Satori-sama again, and I hope she'll forgive me for ignoring her and Orin lately for my work. The other was I really am very hungry, but I don't want Satori-sama to go through the trouble to make it for me!
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Satori Komeiji » 27 Aug 2011 16:17

Utsuho's mind, like usual, was racing, connecting completely separate thoughts into a stream of familiar chatter that made Satori smile. Okuu's charms showed brightly when she got excited, and her extreme emotions, whether it be happiness, anger, or irritation, always burned with a passionate fire, warming and scalding anyone nearby.

"Don't worry, my little raven. I'm not angry at you, though you do still need to work on your temper." Smiling, the mind-reader addressed the 'secret' thoughts first, of course. "And I'd be happy to make you some food!"

Standing up, the satori carried her pet throughout the hallways of the Palace of the Earth Spirits, winding her way towards the kitchen. "And you say you're part of a tournament? Did that magician start that up again?" That Patchouli irritated Satori, what with her smug attitude and selfishness. Such a troublesome youkai. "Well, I hope you do well, but don't feel bad if you lose again! You trying is just the best present for me."

"Reaching the kitchen after what seemed to be forever, Satori set Utsuho down on the counter, and opened the ice chest. "Now, what would you like to eat?"
Satori Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 28 Aug 2011 12:57

How did she know that...?! Okuu thought to herself when Satori heard her more personal thoughts. It seemed in the time she was away from her Master, she forgot that she could even read your deepest thoughts and desires! As well as that Satori would be able to hear exactly what she thought just now. As they walked through the Palace, Utsuho couldn't help but marvel at everything as though she had never been in here. It really had been a long time, huh? Sure, perhaps brief exchanges were given between them, but no meals together or even spending time being held by her Master. A wave of sadness and nostalgia seemed to cross her heart as she thought of the similar times like the one right now, and she came to the conclusion that she'd definitely have to do this more, work or not.

She was distracted by her aimless thoughts with the tournament questioning. Yeah, she did! She answered, looking up to stare at Satori. I've gotten really far. Next I'm gonna be facing a maid. Except not the one that wears blue that I fought during that one robot incident thing. She wears red and she has all these swords. But I can beat her, I know I can! I'll do much better than last time! Her previous melancholy emotions were quickly replaced with fiery ones of inspiration, and when she was put down on the counter, she excitedly flapped her wings.

Okuu was about to continue talking about the prizes and the ones she thought would be appropriate to get for her Master and best friend, but then was distracted by food. "Kuu?" Utsuho said to herself, looking down at the food. Lots of her old favorites were there that she would always eat together with Orin and Satori. Especially... Boiled eggs and fresh human corpse meat! Letting out a few happy caws, the raven started jumping up and down happily. I want that, I want that! Um, please! It was always good to remember your manners with Satori-sama!

She then remembered what she was going to say earlier. Oh yeah! And there are lots of prizes. One's lots of money... One's scrolls with writing on them... Then lots and lots of books... And then a dress and jewelry! I don't really want any of them, but I want to give your and Orin them! I just wanna win. But, what would you like, and what do you think Orin would like...?
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Satori Komeiji » 30 Aug 2011 20:04

Setting the small bird's eggs on the counter, Satori got out an iron pot, filled it with water, and placed it on the wood burning stove.

Oh? Turning around after starting a fire inside the stove with a magical spark, she began to chop up some odd looking meat she'd also removed from the ice-box. It wasn't human meat, but Utsuho wouldn't be able to tell the difference: human meat was very scarce nowadays, especially underground.

"Books, really? What kind of books?"Her interest had been piqued. How coincidental! She had just been thinking about increasing the study's repertoire, and in comes this opportunity.

The pot of water began to bubble, so Satori added the eggs to the water and placed a lid on top. Producing a frying pan as if from nowhere, the mind-reader placed the meat in the pan with a bit of vegetable oil, and seared the edges like a professional chef might. In the time that the underground had been sealed, the girl had taken up cooking as one of her hobbies, and seemed to be quite good.

Placing the sizzling meat before her pet, Satori grinned widely. "Dinner fit for an amazing pet! The eggs will be ready shortly."
Satori Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 01 Sep 2011 22:00

Okuu chirped excitedly while watching Satori get all of the food ready. It would be just like the fun days! Except Orin wasn't there, but... Maybe she'd show up. There was a longing desire for the kasha to be there as well coming from Utsuho's heart, and her Master probably would be able to hear it, but the thought didn't really cross her mind that such a desire would be able to be read. After she asked about the books, though, the raven tried her best to keep her mind off of her best friend. Ummm... Okuu thought long and hard, trying her best to remember what they were. It's Patchouli's books, I know that... Um... I'm pretty sure they're the ones that you learn from. Do you and Orin like those kind of books, Satori-sama?

As the food was set in front of her, Utsuho's heart was filled with glee. Satori called her amazing... It really meant a lot to her, even though it had happened before. Letting out a few happy caws, she hastily thought to her Master, Thank you for the food, Satori-sama!, before digging in wildly. She could taste a slight difference in the food from normal human meat, but it didn't really strike her as odd. As she ate, the meat started getting all over her beak and feathers, but cleanliness and manners didn't really matter to her right now. The food was too good to think of such things. Delicious! I can't wait for the eggs!
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Koishi Komeiji » 03 Sep 2011 21:53

It's been a long time, Koishi's mind worked out, looking about the Palace of the Earth Spirits. Months, she was sure, maybe even a year. Far too long to have seen her big sister. Far too long to have seen the pets, the cat and the bird, whatever their names were. Too long on the surface, too long away from here. What was here...her sister for one. She know she loved her, or was supposed to love her. She was pretty sure about that. She...was a lot more sure of things now, at least of some things. She was sure she still worked for the Bunbunmaru, sure that people knew her and probably liked her, that she could go where she wished. Right now, she was sure she wanted to see her sister.

The mansion was big, even though Koishi hadn't been back there in months if not longer, she knew it like the back of her hand. She knew the nooks, crannies, places to hide and seek, having used them to hide from her sister back when she had a heart, or she was pretty sure she did. If she had a heart, she could locate her sister right then...but she was instead reduced to searching, not calling out, surprise is always more fun. A few moments or hours later her nose catches something, meat and other cooking, a delicious smell causing her to move to the kitchen, poking her head in at her older sister and Okuu, "Ahhhhh~n, that smells delicious Satori!"
Koishi Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Satori Komeiji » 08 Sep 2011 15:18

"I'm not too sure if Rin would be interested in those texts, Utsuho," Satori mused, while stirring the eggs in the pan. "But I certainly am."

At that moment in time, Koishi popped her head into the kitchen, an all too common action for the girl, appearing out of thin air. She was prone to the reverse just as much, so Satori normally savored the time she was able to spend with her sister. "Ah, Koishi, good to see you!" Satori beamed with a kind of happiness she normally never showed to anyone. "Would you like something to eat as well?"

Looking over at Okuu, the bird was a veritable pig in terms of cleanliness now! "Okuu, do try to be neater while eating!" Picking up a small towel hanging above a washbasin, the girl walked over to her pet raven and cleaned her off. "You may be a bird, but the kitchen should stay clean!"

Tossing the cloth into the washbasin, now covered in sticky meat bits and juice, the satori returned back to her previous train of thought. "Utsuho, if you do come out victorious in the tournament, I would love to get my hands on those books. Consider that, if it happens?" She felt a little bad, taking advantage of her pets loyalty, but if any of those books had information on repairing trauma...
Satori Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 14 Sep 2011 00:06

Utsuho merely glanced at Koishi and made a quiet sound at her interest. Due to the other Komeiji's eye being closed (she never really understood it), while in this form she couldn't communicate with her, so there wasn't really any use in trying. She was about to go back to her food, but then her Master came to come clean her up. A-ah, sorry, Satori-sama! I forgot, it was just so good! There was a slight tone of embarrassment in her thoughts, but she appreciated her Master caring for her like that. She went back to her meat, trying to be a lot neater, and thought a bit at her request. Well, I kinda wanted something for both you and Orin, but... I can try to get the books! Is there a specific book you want, Satori-sama? Maybe you could ask the magician if she has it!

After a few more pecks at the food in front of her, most of it gone, she realized something. Satori-sama, should I go to human form so I can talk to Koishi too? Or can I stay like this and only talk to you?
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Koishi Komeiji » 17 Sep 2011 01:22

Koishi's smile almost seems genuine as she nods. "I'd love something to eat! I'm starving!" said with much gusto as she sits next to the bird, humming happily as she pulls out a pencil and begins toying with it, twirling it around in her hands without pause. A few moments, "how're you doing Okuu?" petting the bird with a single finger as she watches her eat. It's cute, really, her eyes, mostly unblinking taking in the sight as she relaxes back in her chair.

"What have you been up to Satori?" she's not sure how long it's been but it's best to ask anyway. Really polite anyway. She's all about politeness. "Been up to the surface much? I just got back from there, it's really nice up there! A lot of fun!" she stops a few moments, "then again so is home, I think the food's better down here" looking over at the cooking Komeiji.
Koishi Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Satori Komeiji » 17 Sep 2011 14:27

Her sister and pet chattered away at her while Satori removed the boiling eggs from the stove and drained them. They were still a bit too hot to eat, though.

"Ah, Utsuho, it would be very considerate of you if you were to change into humanoid form! Good raven!" Satori patted Utsuho's head in appreciation that she was thinking about Koishi as well. Maybe her pet was progressing a bit past her stubborn and hotheadedness...

Then remembering her pet's question about the books, Satori's face turned a bit dark and stern. "No.....no, it's better if you would not mention me wanting anything specific from that magician. She would probably take it as a chance to extort me as well." Patchouli was not very high on Satori's 'want to talk to' list.

She poured cold water over the eggs, which were now in the washbasin, and began peeling the shells off of the outside. She had devised a way of doing so easily, since this was Utsuho's favorite snack, and she prepared it quite often. "Ah, I haven't been out much, lately, Koishi." Satori's face brightened again. "I've been working on something I'd like to put to use soon, and it's consumed quite a bit of my free time. It is good that you've been having fun, though!"
Satori Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 23 Sep 2011 20:57

Utsuho let a small little "kuuu" sound as Koishi started rubbing her head. The raven found herself instinctively rubbing back, and fluttered her wings happily. Well, sometimes she wasn't a big fan of Satori's sister, but in times like this... Koishi gave great little touches of affection, even if sometimes they felt somewhat forced, stiff, and unrealistic. Utsuho never understood why that was, but she didn't think much about it either.

At Satori's happiness of her politeness, however, Okuu quickly fluttered away from the other satori, let out a happy caw (she was delighted at Satori's approval of her thoughtfulness), and after a quick flash of light the bird on the counter was now replaced by her human figure, a teenage girl bigger than both her master and her master's sister (with her wingspan bigger than the both of all three of them standing together, as well). On her face was a happy grin and bright, shining eyes, and she nodded at Satori's reply. "Yes, Master. Hi, Koishi!" at this, she jumped off of the counter and stood next to Satori, watching her crack the eggs, licking her lips with hunger. "... That looks really good, Satori-sama... Are they almost done? Can I have one?"

The thought of how many more she'd be able to eat now that she had hands and a bigger mouth excited her.
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Koishi Komeiji » 01 Oct 2011 20:03

"Hi Okuu!" her tone almost the exact same, even the same inflection as Okuu's, it's sort of creepy really. "Oh! Me too! Me too!" Koishi's eyes salivating, like her mouth is. She's so hungry. Those eggs look delicious! She looks over at Okuu, staring a bit at the raven's human form. She forgot that the hell raven could do that for a minute. "Oooooh, your eye looks so pretty!" staring at it, looking at it closely, seemingly to have moved from across the table to invading Okuu's personal space in moments.

At Satori's words, however, she stops, moving back and looking over at her sister for a few moments. The hell raven is forgotten for the moment as she moves up to her sister, not invading her personal space, something deep in her lack of heart remembering that Satori doesn't like that per say. "What'cha working on?" she leans back, food temporarily forgotten as well. "Is it for me? Is it for you? What'cha thinking about doing?" A few moments later, "Can I help? I'd like to help!"
Koishi Komeiji
Alternate Character

Postby Satori Komeiji » 08 Oct 2011 13:44

Continuing to listen to both her sister and her pet, Satori continued peeling the eggs. They were still fairly warm, so the shells came off easily. Looking down at the egg in her hands, the satori wished she could do the same for her sister: peel away her outer shell, get rid of the cover she created to protect herself, so that she could be her true self again.

However, that would come soon enough! Finishing the last delectable egg, Satori placed them on a tray and moved the tray onto the table, so that everyone could enjoy them. "There you go! Dig in." With a satisfied sigh, Satori went to clean up the eggshells in the basin.

"Ah Koishi..." her sister had forgotten all about the jewel. That was not exactly a surprise. "You already have helped me, and there's nothing more you can do. But thank you for offering." That would be completed soon, and hopefully she would get some good data from it...
Satori Komeiji
Alternate Character

Return to Archive