[Open] Preserving a Rogue Snowflake

Archive for threads set in the Underworld.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Open] Preserving a Rogue Snowflake

Postby Letty Whiterock » 13 Jul 2011 02:45

Summer had long arrived, and for a certain snow woman that meant finding someplace to escape the heat since her body still wasn't ready to take the full extent of what summer had to offer. Given her goal of becoming indifferent to the negative effects seasonal change had on her, be it falling into hibernation or simply becoming too weak to move, this was an utterly unacceptable scenario to be in. She wants to see Gensokyo in summer, and she can't do that if the heat drives her underground!

She had considered a few options, but anything she came up with and was within her power to do would have only provided temporary relief at best. She needed outside help, and wasn't afraid to ask for it. After all, no one has ever tried to defy their nature as thoroughly as she has before, or at least no one she knew of. Thus she started to ask around, inquiring about anyone who might be willing to help her accomplish her goals. Her efforts turned up one concrete name, one who is fairly well known in the underground and one who could perhaps aid her. Getting a message out to this person was the easy part. Coming up with something to offer beforehand so she could get the help she needed was another.

She specified a cafe of sorts that she had been lead to once before by Yamame as a meeting point, though she was trying her best to stay away from the liquor since strange things had happened to her the last time she got drunk, such as being kidnapped by a ghostly gardener. Keeping out of the liquor was borderline impossible though, so she settled on taking small sips for the time being while hoping someone wouldn't come along and turn this into a drinking contest. She wanted to be presentable for this.

Everything was in place, so all she had to do was wait for a Rikako Asakura to show up...
Letty Whiterock
Main Character

Re: [Open] Preserving a Rogue Snowflake

Postby Rikako Asakura » 13 Jul 2011 03:17

So here she was, another day of testing until she realised there was a lack of silence in her work space. Lifting her head from adding the finishing touches to what could soon be her biggest creation yet, she turned to the disturbance. "Suika, how many times have I tol-" Cutting herself off as she realised it wasn't her assistant making the mess, but a... spirit? "What is the meaning of this?" Of course, being a spirit, it couldn't exactly talk and could barely hold the letter that was stuck to its form. Noticing this, Rikako gestured to herself "I take it that's intended for me?" to which the spirit dropped it in responce.

Taking this as confirmation, Rikako set down her laser tool and stepped up to the spirit to pick up the letter. Getting no reaction from it, she opened the envelope and examined the contents. "Your job is finished, return to where you came from." The spirit complied, probably not wanting to see what happens if you got vaporised while dead, leaving the scientist alone to read.

"Interesting..." She said to no one in particular, tossing the letter into a waste basket. A yuki-onna was asking her for a way to keep cold so she could stay awake all year. This was such a deviation from the norm it had almost taken her by suprise, almost that is, a scientist is ready for anything and ready she was. Her previous experiments had already come up with a possible solution to this problem already, the heat masking aspect of her ghost field, a human could die of hypothermia if they use it for over a minute, but simply taking out the visual and sonic masks, something that could keep a cold creature cold would be what remained.

But the question was, what was this yuki-onna offering in exchange? The letter hadn't given much detail in that regard. Oh well, she needed to go 'shopping' anyway, as some supplies were running low which the former hell was more than willing to provide thanks to her past deeds.

It wasn't long before Letty heard the sound of something large and metallic moving and coming to a halt outside, acompanied by the heavy thud of someone possibly jumping off. The doors soon opened and there she was, the one Letty had asked to meet strode in and quickly spotted and approached her. "Letty Whiterock, according to a message I recieved you are seeking me out for a heat related problem, am I right?" She tugged on the strap of her rockets shrugged them off, carefully setting the pack onto the ground next to the seat she sat herself on. "I could provide such a thing for you, but I was wondering, what were you planning on offering in return?"
Rikako Asakura
Free Character

Postby Letty Whiterock » 14 Jul 2011 19:16

She wasn't expecting the sound of heavy machinery rolling up to the cafe, nor did she expect that Rikako was the one who rode in on it. Not that she got a good look at what 'it' is. Sure, the violet-haired scientist was carrying something that might explain the noise, but- "No, no, if I start thinking about that I'll be at it for hours!" She dismissed the whole idea from her train of thought for the time being. She needed to focus on the here and now.

"Yes, I did make that request, and am pleased that you could make it." Introductions seemed unnecessary at this point since each already knew the other's name. The next immediate problem was what she was going to offer in exchange for what is essentially a several-month service. She had something in mind, but she would have to be careful in how she spelled it out. This woman seemed to value the idea of skipping the part where they beat around the bush. "I have little to offer to one such as yourself, though I may have an idea."

She had to take a second to ensure that she had some semblance of proper wording. "From what I understand, you seem to be the type who enjoys studying things of an unusual nature, or at least pursues such oddities as a hobby. Given that I am attempting to defy the natural cycle of my kind to such an absurd degree, I beleive that you may have an interest in me." She paused for another moment, then continued. "What I propose is this: I will offer you the chance to observe, study, and with prior consent, experiment on me to your heart's content in exchange for the use of a device capable of keeping my internal body temperature below freezing during the Summer months. Once Autumn has begun, the device will be returned. Is this acceptable?"
Letty Whiterock
Main Character

Postby Rikako Asakura » 15 Jul 2011 02:29

Rikako had listened quietly as Letty had spoke, letting her finish before confirming and correcting her own observations. "While I do tend to examine oddities I find, it's mainly to see if I could learn anything from it to advance my cause. But we aren't here to talk about that. Now, while what you are planning to do is strange, it could merely be as redundant as a human drinking caffeine or taking stimulants." She took a pause to remove her glasses and wipe them, this place was dusty...

"While I appreciate your offer to volunteer for something such as that, contrary to popular belief I don't 'experiment' on or cut open youkai, because what exactly am I going to learn from that? It's already common knowledge a youkai's physical form is as important as clothing. While it can be damaged, it's barely even a hindrance most of the time and any damage done is quickly undone."

Replacing her glasses, she went on to continue on the one thing she hadn't mentioned. "However I do have an interest in observation. As each species of youkai have shown varying levels of capability with thier physical form and due to thier habits, yours aren't exactly around long enough to gather such data. So I suppose as a counter offer, I want to see what your body is capable of, via long term activity, stress tests and other such."
Rikako Asakura
Free Character

Postby Letty Whiterock » 19 Jul 2011 19:06

Letty listened with the same quiet politness that Rikako had given her, taking the time to think things through before speaking again. She was also relieved that her guess wasn't too far off the mark. "Yes, it could be thoroughly redundant and utterly pointless, but I still feel that it's better to remain cautious since as you have said, there's no information regarding what I plan to do. I could simply grow sluggish, I could melt into a liquid or gel, turn human, or any number of things." 'All of which sound bad' was what she didn't tack on to the end. Being reduced to a blob sounded highly unpleasant, unless she could somehow retain her form anyway.

"That being said, I'd like to ask what my end of the agreement would entail. From the sounds of it you merely wish to record information about my physical status, but I would like to be clear on that before agreeing to this." The snow woman was fairly confident that Rikako's request wouldn't be unreasonable given that the scientist has basically stated that she has no desire to do any sort of experimentation on her, or at least the kind the snow woman was thinking of. "From the sounds of it, my going around in the summer heat would be sufficient, but I'd rather not second-guess you."

The snow woman had basically set her liquor off to the side despite her wanting something to drink. The reason for this is simply because she's negotiating and does not wish to offer more than she had planned, or offend the scientist in any way. She also needed the full use of her mind since she had a few more things to talk about, and needed to be able to remember it all with clarity.
Letty Whiterock
Main Character

Postby Rikako Asakura » 20 Jul 2011 01:07

Rikako gave a half nod at Letty's guessing. "You are half right, but I would like to go further than that. With your cooperation, ofcourse, you come with me and we start conducting some tests such as how much weight you can lift before struggling, how fast and long you can run before showing signs of fatigue and the like. Essentially measuring your capabilities via physical exercises."

She hadn't ordered a drink at all, she wasn't exactly thirsty and was here strictly for buisness. She went on to explain what was going to happen... "Also I would have other tests, such as your coordination, so you will be handling weapons. Also I would need to have your measurements so I could properly fit you with the machinery you require. I have brought the means to keep you cool enough to travel along the surface to my home, should you accept." She then stood up, as she still had other things to do. "But now it's time for me to resume my original task, in exchange for self powered light armour that will keep your temperature in freezing levels, I ask that you undergo tests and the promise that if they do hurt, it will only be slightly."

She began to turn and leave. "Think about it if you need to, I will be passing by here on my way home, if you reach a decision then, let me know."
Rikako Asakura
Free Character

Postby Letty Whiterock » 25 Jul 2011 05:03

Letty had more or less made up her mind the moment Rikako had told her exactly what the tests would entail. The snow woman believed that she had nothing to lose here and everything to gain, so she decided to waste as little time as possible in the matter. While she did wait for the scientist while she made her rounds, said scientist would find that the snow woman was actually waiting for her outside the cafe.

"While unnecessary, I've taken the time to think my decision through. I will take you up on your offer on the conditions we ironed out." Perhaps she was a bit over-eager to get this underway, but it made sense given that her desire to overcome the seasons was strong enough to allow her to exist well outside what should have been possible under normal circumstances.

With that said, she would follow the scientist out of the underground, then to her lab for the aforementioned experiments.

((And this thread is done.))
Letty Whiterock
Main Character

Return to Archive