[Ask First] Searching for the Sun

Archive for threads set in the Underworld.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Ask First] Searching for the Sun

Postby Rika » 25 Jun 2011 14:23

(( Mainly for Rika and Utsuho, but nothing is set in stone at the moment so anyone who wants to join should talk it over with us. ))

After weeks of preparation, Rika once again found herself entering the underground. Her quest for the 'ultimate energy' wasn't over yet, despite the rather disastrous turn her last visit had taken. The engineer already knew that the power she sought was nuclear energy, and her previous trip beneath Gensokyo had familiarized her with the kind of terrain she'd encounter. Beyond that, there was no way to for Rika to know what to expect. The underground was still a very mysterious place to the average resident of Gensokyo, and it was virtually impossible to tell rumor from fact, but the engineer was determined not to fail a second time.

Rika had eventually decided to pilot her recently rebuilt Evil Eye Sigma, figuring that the flying tank would have an enormous mobility advantage over the conventional one she had used the first time. If she ran into problems again, impassable terrain certainly wouldn't be one of them. The new Evil Eye Sigma's design was virtually identical to the original's, with only a few upgrades here and there, but Rika had made some additional modifications for this trip. Her tank currently sported a few layers of extra armor, specifically designed to withstand enormous amounts of heat. Further protection was present to shield Rika from any nuclear radiation she might encounter.

It made Evil Eye Sigma look somewhat bulkier than usual, and it had taken quite a while to add, but the tank engineer wasn't holding anything back this time. She was prepared for the worst, including a fight if that was what it took to secure the ultimate energy for her own use. With any luck, though, it wouldn't come to that.

Exploring the subterranean caverns beneath Gensokyo was much easier when flight was your primary method of travel. Rika had only been underground for a half hour so far, and already she had made much better progress than she had in her first visit. Evil Eye Sigma made remarkably little noise as it glided through the depths of the earth, not even having to use its wings. The flying tank's enormous form had gotten the attention of quite a few youkai, but thus far Rika had been able to avoid any real conflict. The tank engineer was continuously scanning the area around her, keeping an eye out for any spikes in the temperature or radiation levels. She was sure that was how she'd find the source of the ultimate energy.

Rika had never even considered the possibility that it might find her instead.
Rika
Main Character

Re: [Ask First] Searching for the Sun

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 25 Jun 2011 15:17

Work was done, a surprisingly quick, easy day of work. The nuclear reactor was mostly in check, and the Furnace needed little regulation. So what was there to do? Satori wouldn't call her for food until later, she wasn't really sure where Orin was, and for once, a spar for fun wasn't really exactly what she wanted. So Okuu decided to have a day of exploring the Underground. The hell raven used to be able to do that a lot when she was younger, but ever since she was given the ultimate energy, such trivial activities were taken away from her. She decided it probably wouldn't be important to tell her Master where she was going, as long as she kept conscious of the time (which, of course, somewhat unknown to her, she wouldn't).

Utsuho was slowly gliding through the caverns with her giant wings spread out, making sure that no one was in her way. They didn't seem as large, though, because she had decided to leave her cape at home, as well as her concrete foot and arm cannon. Despite the fact that it was mostly just dark, moist caves, the area brought back fond memories of her younger days, where she'd spend them wandering these same corridors with Rin, with no care in mind but to have fun. The young woman was so lost in thought (as well as being used to anyone in her way immediately getting out of it), she didn't notice the large, foreign object floating right at her, and promptly bumped her head into it.

The hell raven blinked, then scowled and stood herself up straight (while remaining afloat). "Hey, watch where you're going, you... Thing!" She squinted her red eyes to look the... Thing over. It was big, round, had wings, and... A giant eye! It's almost kind of like me...! She couldn't help but (stupidly think), her anger turning into a bit of shock. Though when her head hit it, it was hard. And cold. Like... Metal. Utsuho took a little longer to examine the strange thingy-ma-bobber, until she finally came to a conclusion. "You must be... A foreign invader! Here to pillage the underground!" She narrowed her eyes at it, and got into battle position. "Well, let me tell you. My name is Utsuho Reiuji, holder of the ultimate power, and I'm not going to let you do such a thing. I have free time today, so if you try to do anything, I'll take you out, then dump you in the Furnace for fuel! Don't make me use this!"

She thrust her arm out in front of her to attempt to threaten the thing with her arm cannon... Only to remember, about thirty seconds later, that she didn't bring her Third Leg. Flustering up a bit, she quickly thought of a solution and thrust her chest out instead, pointing to the eye in the middle.
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Rika » 09 Jul 2011 17:09

Clunk

The collision wasn't a severe one by any stretch of the imagination. Evil Eye Sigma wasn't damaged at all, but running into Utsuho did startle Rika enough to bring the vehicle to a halt. "Where did you come from?!" The engineer demanded, her voice being amplified by unseen speakers. Apparently she'd been lost in her thoughts as well, since she hadn't even noticed the hell raven until she crashed into her. Rika idly checked Evil Eye Sigma's instruments, wondering if this girl might know anything about the power she was searching for.

According to the scans, Utsuho's body temperature was higher than that of the average youkai, and very faint traces of radiation could be detected around her. Is she the one I'm looking for? The engineer wondered, part of her thinking it was too good to be true. Rika had expected to have to scour the entirety of the underground to find the energy source she was looking for, figuring that something so powerful would be well hidden and protected. Could it really be this rather clumsy looking youkai that had flown right into her?

Well, the hell raven's introduction certainly made it sound that way. Unfortunately, the youkai also seemed to be jumping to conclusions. "W-Wait! No!" Rika replied somewhat frantically, remembering what had happened the last time Evil Eye Sigma's monstrous appearance had gotten her into a fight. It had taken the engineer quite a while to rebuild it, and she didn't want all that work to be for nothing. "I'm not here to pillage anything, I was just looking for you!" She exclaimed, propelling her flying tank backwards a bit in what she hoped was a submissive gesture...
Rika
Main Character

Postby Rikako Asakura » 13 Jul 2011 23:02

It had been long weeks for both of them. As Rikako had ventured into the underworld several times since then, she'd been able to learn much from the populance about many things, including the one that held the power they'd sought last year. In that time, Rikako had prepared something of her own, to ensure she could give the required aid.

This aid ranged from a variety of things, one being her marskmanship, letting Rika fly ahead while she kept her sights open for anything dangerous, packing up and flying under the vehicle to prepare once again. She'd heard much about the one they were looking for, unpredictable, simple minded, confident. The traits of an animal, which means even a raised voice could set her off if they weren't careful. Instead of piloting a vehicle, Rikako had constructed the means to make herself into a tank, a special piece of equipment she'd made by combining aspects of some of her other creations, it protected the body, enhanced her strength and senses and provided a direct link to her home database. In short, under her coat, she wore power armour, with a helmet ready to form over her head should something go wrong.

..And it sounded like something could go wrong just about now, she heard rika's voice over the loudspeaker of her vehicle, meaning something had finally gotten either too curious, was looking for a fight or was blind. Wasting little time, her ghost feild became active and she fired her rockets to get into a better position to see what was going on. Once she was sure she was hidden, the feild was disengaged and she looked at the raven with her night vision.

The clothing looked similar, as did her physical appearance, but most of what she heard was....

While the two were talking, as Rika backed off, Rikako checked the database she'd constructed regarding the more well known occupants of down under, there was even an eye on her chest and electrons were circling her leg but... where were the other symbols? Had they been lost? Removed? The geiger counter was certainly helping enforce the suspicion that the holder of ultimate power had nothing but her own will to keep it in check.

Keeping herself hidden, she used a none vocal means of communication, typing a message and sending it to Rika's main screen.

This may very well be who we're looking for, but if it is, be careful. According to my database she has none of her equipment that was intended to keep her power stable.
Rikako Asakura
Free Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 14 Jul 2011 17:22

"Whoa! It can talk!" The raven was very taken back and surprised, losing her threatening pose as the words came from the tank. "Do you have a mouth, even, or are you sending me telepathy...?" Utsuho cocked her head at the strange thing, and started to casually hover. Then it spoke more. Her eyes narrowed in suspcision. "How can I trust you, big talking thing? You could be ly- oh." Once again she paused to think, and couldn't help but notice how it was backing up. It sounded like it was telling the truth. And if not, she could deal with that later. But really, the thing had come to see HER- Utsuho would never turn down an oppurtunity to show off her one of a kind skills to anyone.

She grinned and got into a battle stance position again, trying to look cool for someone who was apparently a fan of her or something. "You know who I am, huh? Have you heard of my amazing skills from one of the two shrine maidens or the witch? Or am I just famous everywhere above ground now? No matter!" Okuu flapped her tremendous wings, sending a heavy gust of wind, before continuing. "So what do you want? A fight? I like fights. But I'll warn you, you'll probably lose!"
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Rika » 23 Jul 2011 23:19

Rika suppressed the urge to roll her eyes at Utsuho's amazement that Evil Eye Sigma could 'talk'. Already she was getting the impression that the hell raven was a bit dim, but she held the ultimate energy that Rika wanted, so the engineer was just going to have to deal with it. More importantly, Rikako's observations had brought a very important and equally unnerving fact to light. The younger of the two humans had heard plenty of rumors about how destructive the ultimate energy was, and while her flying tank had been reinforced with that very power in mind, she still didn't want to risk Utsuho losing control of her abilities. The engineer rapidly typed up a response, keeping an eye on Evil Eye Sigma's sensors while she did so.

So what should we do? Unless she has perfect control over her powers, we can't risk getting dragged into a fight with her...

Unfortunately, it looked like the hell raven's personality was going to make this much more difficult than it needed to be. The flying tank recoiled once again, it's green tentacles sparking with electricity. Rika had no intention of fighting if she didn't have to, but if there was no other choice, attempting to paralyze Utsuho seemed like the best way to end things before they got out of control. "I don't want to fight!" The engineer insisted, her tank keeping a cautious gaze fixed on the bird youkai. "I just want to know how your powers work!" She added, hoping that admission would take Utsuho's mind off of battle instead of encouraging it...
Rika
Main Character

Postby Rikako Asakura » 25 Jul 2011 10:46

From what she was picking up... this bird was a complete simpleton...

But... that wasn't all bad. One thing that could be done was get what they wanted without her even knowing it. She looked eager to fight, but that was simply a way to show off. Well, there were other ways of doing THAT. Focusing on the text that filled her sight, she typed a response, the wheels in her head had already begun to turn.

A fight won't be needed. It looks like she has neither the grasp or the patience to simply tell us how she uses her power, so we'll have to do the next best thi-

Damn word limits...

thing. She doesn't want to fight so much as she wants to show off. So... perhaps challenging her to a contest? All we'd need to do is carefully observe and reco-

Note to self: Extend text limit.

record her while keeping a safe distance.

It was worth a shot, perhaps instead of fighting the giant flying eyeball to flex her proverbial muscles, she could perhaps show off by shooting down some ballistic ammunition.
Rikako Asakura
Free Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 28 Jul 2011 12:36

She stared at the thing in bewilderment, then couldn't help but put her hands on her hips and scowl. "That doesn't make any sense," Utsuho said flatly. "After all, the best way to explain how my powers work is by actually showing you, right? Seeing how they work in combat? Or... Maybe your one of those people, after all!" She narrowed her eyes in suspicion, then got into a battle stance again, thrusting her third eye out as it charged with nuclear energy. "The Goddess and Satori-sama told me about people like you. They'd come and use me, take advantage of my ultimate power! They said "Don't go with anyone who wants to know and see your powers without a good reason"! When I show you how to use it, you're going to try to take me from here and use me for your own good! Well, that's it then... Any last thing to say for yourself?!" The raven was obviously misinterpretting a lot of this.

And with that, Okuu shot out a fast ball of nuclear energy straight at Evil Eye Sigma... Only to have it miss. It barely grazed the tank, but there was no real damage done. Utsuho, flustered by her mistake, faltered a little- but tried to continue in a much less confident voice, "Th-that was a test to intimidate you! But really! Prepare to meet your demise now, unless you have any last words to make up for yourself with?!" And she started charging up her third eye yet again, this time in what seemed to be a bit more of a powerful lazer...
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Rika » 06 Aug 2011 19:35

Rikako's suggestion certainly made sense. A fight may have been the simplest and most direct way for Utsuho to show off her abilities, but in her current state it certainly wasn't the safest. At that moment, Rika couldn't help but remember that they were in an underground cavern, one that could very easily collapse if the hell raven lost control of her destructive abilities. If anything, that fate was even more ominous than simply being obliterated by a surge of nuclear hellfire. If Evil Eye Sigma survived a cave in, Rika could very well end up being buried alive, after all...

The engineer was snapped out of her morbid train of thought by Utsuho's little rant, the hell raven obviously jumping to conclusions again. Rika was starting to get a bit frustrated, and the sphere of nuclear energy being hurled at her didn't improve the situation in the slightest. It hadn't harmed her tank at all, but it was enough to rouse the engineer's volatile temper, which in turn began to cloud her judgement. "Cut it out, you idiot!" She snapped, raising one of Evil Eye Sigma's electrified tentacles and firing a small bolt of lightning towards Utsuho. It seemed she was already beginning to forget her earlier hesitations, and a fight was looking more and more inevitable by the second.
Rika
Main Character

Postby Rikako Asakura » 18 Aug 2011 23:19

Before the bolt fired by Rika could hit, something flew out to intercept it, blowing up in mid air. When the smoke cleared, the power armoured scientist was floating her, her hands outstretched towards the both of them. "Cease your hostilities, both of you." Honestly, if she didn't know any better she'd have thought that Rika WANTED her vehicles to be turned into a pile of slag.

Rapidly typing on the keypad on her arm, she turned towards the raven and faced her. "We haven't come looking for a fight, we're acquainted with your master, Satori and our visit is purely educational." Hopefully mentioning her owner would diffuse this situation before it got worse.

As for Rika, she could see the words on her screen;
Have you forgotten what happened the last time?
Rikako Asakura
Free Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 20 Aug 2011 14:21

At the sound of the word "idiot", Okuu couldn't help but falter a little, and put her arm down. A look of what appeared to almost be sadness and hurt crossed her face. She... She hated it when people called her that. She wasn't an idiot. She was powerful, and strong! She would power through it. The pitiful look was quickly replaced with an even angrier one, and her eyes started to glow threateningly as they did when she got infuriated, and instead of just her eye glowing with energy, her whole body started to. "I... DON'T CALL ME THAT! YOU'LL PAY FOR THAT!" Utsuho screamed, and when her body was finally covered in yellow, she floated back and then started charging right for Evil Eye Sigma, not caring what happened to the damn, taunting machine.

Thankfully, before she got too much momentum, Rikako managed to get in between them, talking quickly enough so that the hell raven didn't do anything too rash. She blinked, and the yellow glow on her body started to fade, as she listened intently to what the purple haired lady was saying. "You know Satori-sama...?" Utsuho mused, almost already forgetting about the former insults. "Wait, so, you're here to see her? And me? And are you with this... Floaty thing? So it knows Satori-sama too?" She couldn't help but bite her lip in confusion, and start twiddling with her fingers as well. "Well, uh... Prove it! Prove that you know Satori-sama! Yeah!"

If they could see the details on her face, they'd be able to tell she was clearly nervous. The hell raven was scared by the mere thought that she had tried to harm her master's friends. Satori-sama would most likely scold her if anything like that happened.
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Rika » 27 Aug 2011 21:22

The hell raven certainly wasn't the only one getting angry, nor was she the only one being driven to recklessness because of it. "JUST TRY IT!" Rika screamed back, large amounts of energy gathering in her flying tank's main weapon and causing its singular eye to glow brightly. The engineer was more than ready to blast Utsuho despite the intimidating aura that surrounded her, but their imminent fight was soon interrupted by Rikako. The scientist must have felt like a teacher breaking up a pair of unruly children given the way the two were acting, but her appearance and brief message were enough to calm Rika down immediately, preventing things from escalating any further.

"She started it!" The engineer grumbled, turning Evil Eye Sigma towards one of the cavern walls and deciding not to let a fully charged shot of the tank's main weapon go to waste. A massive beam of red light erupted from the vehicle's eye, resulting in a large explosion that sent rocky debris everywhere. That made Rika feel better, though she was smart enough to stop at one shot. No need to bring the cavern down on their heads just to work off some frustration.

Now that Rika had cooled down a bit, Evil Eye Sigma floated over to Rikako, and the engineer once again did her best to appear as non-threatening as possible. That didn't last too long. "Floaty thing?" She growled in irritation, Evil Eye Sigma moving forwards until it was right in Utsuho's face. Rika flipped a switch completely unrelated to weapons this time, though, immediately making the eye of the tank transparent. The hell raven could see right through it now, as if it were merely a window.

Utsuho could now get a good look at the young human behind the controls, and realize that she'd been about to fight someone half her size. "I don't care about Satori, I'm interested in you, even if you attacked me for no reason!" The engineer snapped, crossing her arms as an annoyed expression spread across her face. It almost looked like she was pouting...
Rika
Main Character

Postby Rikako Asakura » 30 Aug 2011 04:19

She facepalmed, at that point her hand was covering her face as the two stopped thier attacks and both of them seemed to be getting sulky about it. On one hand you had what looked to be a child trying and failing to look tough in front of an authority figure while on the other hand it was very much like a teacher and an unruly pupil, given how they had a two way learn and teach relationship after all.

While Rikako knew about ravens in thier primal forms, she'd not seen many youkai and this one seemed to lack the sharp mind that her mature form would suggest, could it be her body aged too quickly for her mind to keep up on? There was more to learn than just from her power, but that train of thought was derailed and slammed into the wall of the cave when Rika let out a burst. Thanks to the increased strength her armour gave her, she was able to reach over her head and catch any sizable falling debris and simply toss it aside, but she knew the two would probably flare up again before this went calm.

Holding out her arms to the both of them again with a "Now hold it, the both of you. Otherwise we're all just going to be floating her and provoking each other all day." Turning to the bird, she was again typing on her wrist mounted unit as she spoke. "First of all, this..." she gestured to the large eye behind her "..is actually a vehicle, a machine built to carry others while keeping them safe. My partner here designed and built it herself due to how dangerous places like this are for a normal human."

While she was speaking, the message displayed, in broken parts, on Rika's screen;
It seems quite clear that she is of an immature mind, so she's likely going to be prone to outbursts if you raise your voice or speak ill of any she's related to if she cares about them at all, don't keep raising your voice or she'll get violent.

Hopefully the thought of a nuclear hissy fit would let Rika think before speaking, while the older woman continued to speak. "Now then, you asked if we knew Satori and as I mentioned her name, that should prove we do know her. If you want further proof, I have a picture of us together." Extending her hand at this statement, a projection of a screen capture from an old security recording showed Satori handing an envelope to the pigtailed girl stood inside the transparent eye. "She hired us in the past for something, but we're still waiting on the details as to our job. In the meantime, we are here specifically to speak with you about something entirely unrelated."
Rikako Asakura
Free Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 01 Sep 2011 21:50

Utsuho literally floated back from being taken aback by Rika's tank revealing... A small girl. "Eh?! A vehicle? So that girl was talking to me the whole time, not the strong looking machine?" Her eyes moved back to Rika, and she rudely started to... Giggle. "...You're so small, you're just a human, you're not threatening at all!" The raven said, amused, raising an eyebrow at the mechanic. But then Rikako continued with her proof about knowing Satori, and once the picture came up, Okuu cocked her head, and eventually a smile came across her face, and she swooped close to the scientist.

"You DO know Satori-sama!" she said excitedly, grabbing Rikako's hand and squeezing it hard. "A job? What kind of job? Do I know about it? Am I involved? Oh, wait, you're not here for that...?" Utsuho seemed to be getting along better with Rikako than Rika, for obvious reasons. Upon hearing that they wanted to see her, the bird's confident grin returned, and she stared the purple haired woman straight in the eye. "Well, since you're a friend of Satori-sama, I can help! What do you need? You want me to show my power, right? Or do you need me for a job? Either way, I'm the strongest in all of Gensokyo, so anything you need I can help with!"
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Return to Archive