[Open] In Search of Sake: Take Two

Archive for threads set in the Underworld.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Open] In Search of Sake: Take Two

Postby Ruukoto » 25 Mar 2011 18:07

"Back here again..." Ruukoto mumbled to no one in particular.

Ruukoto was back in the Hell of Blazing Fires. After a few minutes or so of navigation by GPS through the dank earth caves surrounding the core, she finally emerged to the Ancient City... not by her own will, of course. Reimu was in need of sake again. This would probably be the only time she would refuse a request from Reimu; or, rather, an order. It was convenient that the particular sake Ruukoto needed to procure was from a certain Earth Spider: Yamame Kurodani, to be exact. The android was hoping to bump into the youkai during her trek through the caves, but no such luck; It seemed she would have to search through the city itself.

Ruukoto hated the city, however. She had already been there before, and had barely escaped with 1% power left in her reserves. The rowdy oni, coupled with the intimidating air, left for a very sour taste in the mouth of the delicate metallic maid. The spider girl was a problem too, being just as rude and uncouth as any of the oni could possibly be.

But Ruukoto was ready this time. Lady Reimu had ordered her to find sake, and that's exactly what she would do. Even gigantic masses of oni and unpredictable brawls wouldn't be able to stop her. Ruukoto took a deep breath and activated a node in her brain. A tiny switch activated.

*BEEP*

Ruukoto HUD Activated

She'd be ready. Her eyes activated a heat sensor that would identify and predict the movements, momentum, and danger levels of all the oni in the vicinity. Unfortunately, with such a dense amount of residents partying in the streets, it would be near impossible to detect the spider youkai, even with Ruukoto's advanced technology. She began her search through the city. The search for sake.

Don't look them in the eyes, don't look them in the eyes... Ruukoto rushed through the streets as quickly as possible, avoiding the gazes of curious oni who had never seen such a contraption before.

Avoid all contact, avoid all contact. She walked slightly faster, chanting the mantra in her mind while covering part of her face with her hand.
Ruukoto
Free Character

Re: [Open] In Search of Sake: Take Two

Postby Suwako Moriya » 28 Mar 2011 18:05

Suwako certainly was neither an oni nor a demon of any sort, in fact she was a goddess. Proud and true. Yet despite what one would expect of a goddess, Suwako was actually fixing to be a regular to Hell's labyrinths of snow and fire. This being thanks to her coming here from the shrine quite frequently of late. Although among the list of reasons she kept coming back was the amusing folks that lived about the area. It is always nice to have some people to chat and converse with after all.

This time though the goddess heading back home for the time being, deciding that she could pass the time slowly today. Not much seemed to be at work down here at the moment. That is what Suwako thought until she saw an unexpected and strange sight. While she knew what a maid was, Suwako was more used to the idea of them walking around and cleaning a mansion as opposed to walking through Hell like a fast-moving target. Thanks to Suwako's current position though, the maid would most likely pass her by.

Feeling like there was something interesting going on, Suwako began to move into the maid's path. Stopping just short of doing so, Suwako arrived on the spot just in time to be in plain sight of the maid. Since she did not know that her focus was actually trying to avoid others, Suwako gave a wide wave in an attempt to get her to stop. Whether this would be successful was an unknown variable for the time being. “Hello there, Maid-san! What brings someone like you to a place like this?”
Suwako Moriya
Main Character

Postby Yamame Kurodani » 04 Apr 2011 12:49

"Prob'ly gettin' some booze for her boss, I'd say!" a laughing voice answers Suwako's question from avobe - and if they look up, there's a certain spider laying flat and belly up on the cornice of the nearest building, head hanging from the side of it. She's laughing and drinking from a small bottle - just how she manages to drink in that position, it's probably best left to physicists.

"Hey there tin-girl! Long time no see! How ya doin'?" Yamame says happily, waving with her free hand. "Or, prob'ly more importn'ly - where ya headin'? Y'look a bit lost, no offense" She then turns her head towards Suwako, curious "So, do ya two know each other? Wait, where's my manners" she dismisses it all with an energetic wave of the had before waving at Suwako. "Name's Yamame, pleased to meetcha! Not seen ya much 'round these parts, where ya from? An' by the way - nice hat there!" she adds, approving and giving the godess a thumbs-up while grinning.
Yamame Kurodani
Alternate Character

Postby Ruukoto » 04 Apr 2011 19:58

Ruukoto picked up the pace, quickly scanning her whereabouts for any Earth Spiders. It was good news that Yamame was significantly smaller than most oni. Although it seemed that would more hinder her progress, it made it easier to pick up her figure out of the bulks of large oni.

...Something was following her. Ruukoto could sense it. She started to walk faster. It was still behind her. Faster walking it was. It was trailing behind her. Fast fast fast walk walk walk. Yet it still caught up to her. She was about to activate her rocket boots before- ... Suwako jumped right in front of the poor maid, waving like a lunatic. The weak nerved robot yelped and switched the crossbow in her arm into position, aiming it straight at the figure. "Aagh! G-Get away, you-! You...." Ruukoto lowered her arm. "...Little... girl...?" Ruukoto retracted the weapon while simultaneously returning to a standing position, looking at the small girl that was no more than 3/4ths her own height. "Ah, um, hello little girl..." Ruukoto folded her hands on her stomach and leaned over a bit to look the girl in the eye. "I'm Ruukoto! I came down here to-" Ruukoto's HUD detected a rather intoxicated oni tumbling by. She twisted her body around and twirled to dodge him. "-get some sake for my mistress." She smiled warmly at the little girl. "I'm from up above, at the Hakurei Shrine. Do you live down here, little girl?"

It was then that a certain Earth Spider decided to show up. However, Ruukoto's preoccupation with both dodging and talking caused her to miss the spider and be surprised once again. "Aagh!" Ruukoto re-un-tracted her crossbow, pointing it at the youkai. The spider seemed to be entirely unfazed though. Ruukoto re-un-re-retracted her crossbow (I think) and tried to compose herself. "Y-Yes. Um, Miss Yamame..." Ruukoto walked over to the spider. "I'm uh-" The android cleared her metallic lungs of any dust that impeded her speech. "-Here on behalf of my mistress, Lady Reimu. She requested some... booze." Ruukoto cringed upon saying the word. "...From you. She says the alcohol you provide is some of the best." The android girl tried to remain businesslike and calm, but the situation and atmosphere that impeded the air made it quite difficult for her to do so.
Ruukoto
Free Character

Postby Suwako Moriya » 08 Apr 2011 03:57

“My name is Moriya Suwako, I actually live pretty high up on Youkai Mountain. I just pass through this place on occasion when I feel like taking the long way home.” Suwako starts off with introducing herself to the other figures. As for Yamame's comment on her hat, Suwako smiles jokingly as she adjusts the hat by the rim. “And thank you for the complement. It is a nice hat isn't it?”

The goddess had certainly found some interesting individuals, although by this point it could be expected that one could find someone like them around every corner. Gensokyo is such a grand place. Given that thought, it was time to move on to more important things. In particular...addressing the comments of the clearly cybernetic maid before her. Should be interesting enough.

“So you say you are from the Hakurei Shrine? I didn't expect someone like you to be living there. I would have thought the miko there was not much into technology.” Suwako asks quite clearly, not mentioning in detail her exact place of residence for now. In fact, she was going to keep her mouth shut about the little girl comments for now to see where it might lead the conversation.
Suwako Moriya
Main Character

Postby Yamame Kurodani » 12 Apr 2011 19:20

"I get th'feelin' th'miko's up for anythin' that makes life easier, if y'ask me" Yamame laughs, raising her bottle to Suwako's last remark. "She struck me as a gal that knew how t'live life, you know? An' you live in Youkai Mountain? I got a couple friends livin' round there! Man, I wonder how Mino's doin' I should go visit her..." the spider says to herself, absently, while looking at the cave's incredibly high ceiling...

"Anyway!" she bellows, jumping down with a small somersault and landing on the floor in front of Ruukoto. "So, y'came for more booze, huh? Well, nothin' easier! Ye're in Hell, missy! You've probably gone past like a dozen breweries that do better stuff than you'd see in a million years on th'surface!" Yamame laughs, patting the robot on the back friendily. "Or what, y'think ya're not good enough to check good booze from bad or somethin'? ...oh, wait, right, y'didn't know what booze even was before I visited!" Yamame suddenly realizes, and smacks herself on the forehead. "Sorry, sorry, I forgot! Well then no duh, 'course you'd want someone t'give you a tour of th'good stuff 'fore gettin' some rotgut shit for yer boss! Don't worry, gal, 'm gonna teach you all y'need to choose th'good stuff!" the spider says, enthusiastic, grabbing Ruukoto by the hand. She then gestures to Suwako with her other hand, encouragingly. "C'mon, girlie, come with us! We got a lotta party t'go an' steely maid here could probably use havin' more friends 'round!" she exclaims, and then begins to pull the hand of the poor hapless robomaid with a surprising amount of strength.

Sometimes it's hard to be sure if Yamame is a spider or a tornado.
Yamame Kurodani
Alternate Character

Postby Ruukoto » 19 Apr 2011 13:53

"That's a rather strange hat you have there...." Ruukoto examined the bulgy eyed straw hat in front of her. It was directly in front of her, of course, compensating for Suwako's lost height compared to the maid. "Is it organic?" She could swear she saw it blink. "The Youkai Mountain, huh? That's where one of Lady Reimu's competitors works." Ruukoto knew quite a lot about Reimu's problems. The shrine maiden being drunk when she spilled out grievances let Ruukoto know more than she should, or really, even wanted to. "Also, yes, I'm from the Hakurei Shrine. Mistress Reimu actually won me in a contest, so now I'm her maid for life, whether I like it or not. Oh, but I do like it, of course! It's why I was made, after all!" Ruukoto forgot to mention she was mechanical, but the fact was rather obvious already anyway.

"Eh, breweries? All of those building..." Were they really all breweries? Sake and beer was no small deal down in Hell, it seemed. Most of the buildings Ruukoto had passed looked like residential homes, but perhaps she was wrong. The oni in the streets didn't get all their sake from nowhere after all. "N-Not good enough to tell?!" It was true Ruukoto didn't even know of alcohol before the spider arrived, and even if she had, she had no taste buds to correctly discern the good from the bad anyway. "R-Rotguy shyaaaaaah!" Ruukoto didn't get to finish her query, being pulled along by the spider. "Th-this spider..." Surprisingly strong, she was! Ruukoto weighed quite a lot to begin with, but the relatively tiny spider easily hoisted her up and basically carried her through the caverns.

"H-Hey!" Ruukoto called out to the goddess. "Y-You can come too! If you'd like!" Ruukoto was looking for for help and potential witnesses rather than accompaniment, however...
Ruukoto
Free Character

Postby Suwako Moriya » 21 Apr 2011 21:33

“I'll follow, I'll follow.” Suwako says while chuckling a bit. As she starts to follow alongside the other two girls, the Goddess gives Yamame a particular look. While there were no words along with it, the expression seemed to say, “This one is quite the pushover, isn't she?”

For some reason, Suwako felt quite amused around these two. One because she seemed like a fun youkai to hang around with, the other simply for being the most easily bothered person. Most likely against Ruukoto's hopes, Suwako was likely not going to be very useful for help or any sort of convenience. In fact, it was more likely that the mountain goddess would instead bring her more to worry about.

“You must be talking about the Moriya Shrine, am I right? Yes, the maiden there is indeed a sort of rival for the Hakurei miko. You could say that I was there for their first little meeting, but that would be grossly inaccurate. Although at the very least I can say that Reimu and the miko on Youkai Mountain are both acquaintances of mine.” Suwako nods with superiority. “Oh, and don't think too much into my hat right now. Some questions are best not answered.”
Suwako Moriya
Main Character

Postby Yamame Kurodani » 28 Apr 2011 08:13

"Wha, all of them? Don't be silly, gal!" Yamame laughs, answering Ruukoto as she pulls her. "You can't get this continuous party just with booze! Y'need bars, an' snacks, an' gamblin' houses, an' rings t'fight it out, an' a whole load o'stuff!" she explains, as they indeed pass a whole variety of buildings - alehouses, gambling spots, festival-like stalls, brothels, places to eat (it would be inexact to call them "restaurants", though) and a whole mess of other stuff. "And don't worry! By the time ya're done here, ya'll be able to tell good booze from bad no prob!" the enthusiastic spider says, then turns her head to the girl hopping besides them.

"Ah, ya comin'? Nice! Think'm gonna need some help gettin' lil' shy steely gal here to loosen up a bit, so extra hands are always welcome!" she says, chatting happily with the robot maid in tow - literally. "So, ya're from th'Mountain? I know a few peeps there. Tell me, ya know Mino?" she then realizes not everyone might refer to her by the same nicknames, and corrects herself. "Minoriko, lil' gal, all gold and brown, all cute an' adorable, gives herself airs, bit o' a suicidal streak? Been a while since I saw her, wonder how she's doin' - ah, here we are!"

Indeed, Yamame stops in front of a building - from the (horribly atonal but surprisingly coordinated) singing and the ruckus inside, not to mention the powerful smell of alcohol, obviously an Oni alehouse of some sort.

"Welp, this is one of th'best boozeholes in town, missies! Here we should find plenty for ya t'taste an' learn to distinguish!" she says, as she opens the sliding doors and pulls the maid in.

The inside is... well, what could be expected. There are a hell of a lot of Onis sitting (or standing, or singing, or lightly tussling, or singing something that might have been called uplifting if it wasn't for the odd slurrings) around tables littered with bottles and jars of all shapes and sizes, and an atmosphere that's at the same time chaotic and a bit oppressive in its sheer power. A lot of them turn to watch the three newcomers, though, and many of them greet Yamame with liftings of their cups and a lot of expressions to the tune of "hey there Yamame!".

"C'mon, c'mon, don't be shy! We even got free table an' everythin'! c'mon, sit down!" the spider tells the others, happy, all but pushing them into the seats. She then turns to the Onis in the tables around them. "'kay, guys, these two are new here! So y'better behave, alright? Th'one in th'maid outfit doesn't even know what booze is, so'm givin' her a tour - if any of y'all spills her drinks 'fore she can taste'em ah'm gonna kick yer asses so hard ye're gonna need a shovel to find'em back, got that?" she says, grinning and giving one of them a playful punch in the arm.

For all response, the huge Onis just laugh a roaring laugh, and nod acting jokingly scared (truth be told, any of them could clock Yamame hard enough to knock her out for a week straight and they both know it, but fearlessness makes you friends in the Ancient City) - then several of them pass their drinks to the girl's table. It's in an Oni's nature to share a drink, after all, and to the Oni mindset, someone not knowing alcohol is a horrible tragedy that must be corrected.

Yamame then sits down with the other two, grinning happily. "Always such great guys, seems like this round ain't gonna cost us much!" she says, arranging the drinks on the table by strength. "Hey, One-Horn!" she then bellows at the barman - a humongous Oni with one of his horns broken. "Three cups here, please!" Soon as they arrive, she pours from the bottle to the leftmost. "'kay, let's start with th'soft stuff, 'cause if we start with th'strong stuff ya'll be too drunk to taste th'rest. This is mushroom wine, not too strong, but tastes sweet an' makes for good partner t'a nice snack like this!" she says, taking a bunch of odd-looking biscuits from who-knows-where inside her dress in order to have something solid to accompany her education of the two surfacers in the wonders of Hell specialties...
Yamame Kurodani
Alternate Character

Postby Ruukoto » 09 May 2011 02:10

Ruukoto, while being pulled along by Yamame, still managed to have a decent conversation with the frog goddess. "Oh, so you know Lady Reimu too? It seems that everyone does, these days... I really wonder what she's up to all the time.... She leaves the shrine a lot nowadays...." The ear the android wasn't using was occupied on the spider youkai, who was pulling Ruukoto along like a balloon. Or, she would be, if balloons were stiff and metallic. Regardless, it wasn't too long before the three stopped in front of some sort of building (It was hard to call it a building. The actual word for such a place escaped Ruukoto's mind).

Ruukoto's sensors picked up a screeching wavelength and a hazardous odor, singing and alcohol respectively. The robot girl could barely discern what Yamame was mumbling on about, despite her expertise in linguistics. Although, it was more likely a drunken slur than an actual linguistic impediment. Regardless, she walked into the establishment, staying behind Suwako for protection.

It looked like she NEEDED the protection. Oni were all about tussling and fighting and making a general mess of the place. Before she knew it, Ruukoto was slipped into a stool next to a rather dirty table and several cups of wine. It seemed rather.... Opaque. Ruukoto had seen the effects of alcohol on Reimu, and was rather nervous, to be entirely honest. She fiddled around with her drink and stared at Yamame. "U-Um... Well..." She turned to Suwako next. "Here I go...." After fumbling with her cup, she drank the whole thing down in one gulp, allowing the liquid to traverse through her metallic esophagus.....

.....And nothing happened. Ruukoto, being a robot, suffered no ill effects from alcohol. She looked just as sober as she ever would. "So, um..." Ruukoto set her cup down. "....Now what happens? When does it kick in?"
Ruukoto
Free Character

Postby Suwako Moriya » 19 May 2011 17:25

Suwako was oddly enough enjoying the presence of the Yamame, clearly amused by her personality. Unlike Ruukoto, the little goddess was quite used to hearing the slurred accent of those in Hell. In fact, the goddess was so used to Hell by this point one might question whether she is truly a goddess and just a spirit. Although as of late, her trips through Hell have been straight into the furnace rather than the long walk through the ancient city.

In response to Yamame's question about Minoriko, the goddess only shakes her head a bit, the answer being that she's only heard of the lesser gods of the mountain. Never actually meeting any of them. This little tidbit of information was simply extra details to the actual directive though. Yes, th goddess was actually curious to see how this clearly artificial humanoid was going to handle the situation. It was not in a spiteful manner though, she was legitimately curious to see what would happen. Suwako simply was looking forward to seeing her drunk out of secondary inquiry.

Suwako decided to seat herself near Ruukoto, keeping an eye on the mechanical girl as she took her first drink, only to reveal that it had no immediate effect. Suwako blinked for a moment, then smiled. In an attempt to live in the moment, she raised her voice. “Looks like she's not a lightweight. Bring out the next drink!” The goddess seemed to be quite amused with all of this.
Suwako Moriya
Main Character

Postby Yamame Kurodani » 24 May 2011 18:04

"Whoa, indeed she is. This ain't very strong stuff, but, I'd expected her t'be a total lightweight, an' not even a flush! 'm sorry for doubting ya, girlie!" Yamame replies to the goddess and then Ruukoto, looking at the robot maid with a certain hint of surprise... then suddenly something hits her, and she laughs, slapping her own forehead.

"Hah, 'course! Ye're made of metal, like Purply's androis or whatever those were called - yer av'rage drink ain't gonna do much more than scratch th'paint!" the spider laughs, mussing the maid's hair friendily. "Well, that's good! That way y'can taste'em better without worryin'bout gettin' too drunk to continue! So, tell me, what did ya think, ya like it? Notice th'lil' sweet aftertaste down there? That's th'kinda drink y'don't serve with greasy or sweet foods, mix kills th'palate somethin' fierce" she educates Ruukoto as she takes a gulp herself. "Wonderful for snacks, tho. 's also great for guests, 'cause it's soft, so y'don't risk ev'ryone gettin' drunk off their gourd before the party starts - that's for later!" she says, to a chorus of laughters from those onis on nearby tables that caught the last bit. Yamame has basically assumed that Ruukoto can taste the drink - her only experience with artificial beings is Rikako's robots, which pack a variety of sensors that allow them to get plenty of information from ingested substances... and she doesn't seem to have thought of the possibility that Ruukoto might not be like that.

"'kay, then, let's go for th'next one! This is a bit stronger, but ya shouldn't have a prob yet. Here, this is a bit of our softer sake. Yer maiden likes th'stronger version, but I figure we should start at th'beginnin'!" the spider grins, putting a cup in front of each of the three and pouring.
Yamame Kurodani
Alternate Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 31 May 2011 14:01

"Huuhhh...?"

Utsuho didn't come to the Ancient City too often. For some reason, Satori-sama was worried when she went there. It was something along the lines of "bad influences, I don't want you getting drunk, blah blah blah, protective master stuff". But she didn't go to get drunk, oh no. The hell raven went to satisfy her urges for combat. The oni were always willing to fight- a sort of satisfaction if they could defeat the holder of the ultimate power. She was able to learn very well from them. Ways to throw punches, how to take a hit, and most importantly, to always keep strong. Yes, the oni were good teachers. But today they seemed too busy... Partying? Drinking? Doing what onis do that isn't really fun?

Okuu was trying to find an opponent, but no one seemed too interested in a fight right now, at least with her. Everyone was either in a bar, or asleep outside. The ones in the bars she challenged weren't interested in fighting her unless she drank with them, and she always preferred to battle sober. Finally had given up, she was simply sitting alone, thinking about whether she would stay and wait or go back home. Being the impatient type, the dark haired girl decided that going home would probably be the best option. She was about to take off, too, before she noticed a somewhat familiar... Face? Dress? Hat?

The frog scheme the girl had was giving off very familiar vibe. Was she a former opponent? No, she looked too weak for that. After all, frogs were the kind of thing that you could step on and they'd be dead. Maybe it was just a random person she'd seen on the street before? Well, nonetheless, her curiosity was at its peak now. Besides, that WAS a pretty cool hat. Maybe the hat was actually her head or something! Standing up and completely forgetting that she was supposed to be leaving, Utsuho slowly followed them into the bar, but her concrete foot weighed her down to the point where she ended up making it inside by the time they had already sat down.

There was quite a ruckus inside. Loud, drunken singing, lots of fighting. The singing especially was somewhat irritating her. Trying to make it through the crowd to Frog-Hat-Girl (and the other two with her), the raven ended up having to kick a male oni in his crotch with her non-concrete-foot and swatting another in his face with her arm cannon (they both were so mindbendingly drunk they simply fell to the ground, not even caring), and her face was somewhat... Terrifying. Red eyes narrowed and somewhat glowing, a giant scowl on her face, she finally made it to the trio. She tapped her hands on the froggy-girl's shoulder, flapped her giant wings for a bit of space, then simply just asked, sounding surprisingly innocent for how threatening she currently looked, "Ummm... I know you, right?"
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Ruukoto » 05 Jun 2011 16:49

"A.... lightweight?" Ruukoto's head mechanisms whirred to create the appearance of her cocking her head to the side. "What's that supposed to..." Ruukoto then cocked her head to the other side, where Yamame was sitting. "U-Um... The taste...." Ruukoto did have taste sensors, but to be honest, she hadn't used them for this first drink. Alcohol was a new thing for the metallic maid. She really had no clue whether it would disrupt her inner workings or do absolutely nothing.

The latter seemed to be evident though. "Y-yeah, it was pretty sweet after." The green-haired android decided to fake a taste sensation. "Ha.... hahaha.... ha..." Ruukoto smiled and nodded politely, her ciphers in her brain trying desperately to decode the thick accent she was picking up. There wouldn't be much confusion in terms of taste. Ruukoto was no mere contraption (Or well, actually the sensors were installed by Rikako only recently, but same difference). Before the robotic girl could make another move, she already found herself in front of her. Taking the cup, her hand made audible buzzes and mechanical clinks as they slowly rose to her lips. Then, in a flash, the wine was gone. Ruukoto had drunk it all in no more than a second.

Of course, her sensors didn't pick up tastes immediately. It would take time to discern between the mix of palates. The maid turned toward Yamame, smiling. "So, what's this concoction supposed to be-Aaaaugh!" Ruukoto threw her cup into the air, which landed smartly on the table, unharmed and upright. There was a devious, evil looking woman eying the group. She looked absolutely terrifying, almost like a monster, or at least to Ruukoto. Despite the innocent, cute voice that emanated from the creature, Ruukoto was by no means pacified. "Wh-Wha-who are you...?!"
Ruukoto
Free Character

Postby Suwako Moriya » 08 Jun 2011 05:11

“Oh...it's the Raven of the Furnace. I did not expect to see you here so suddenly. I'm the true goddess of the Moriya Shrine, if you will decide to remember me.” Suwako says a bit rudely to Utsuho's appearance. Not that it matter too much whether it was insulting or not. The place she was in was full of drunks, she could easily get away with saying what she wanted. “Now, is there something you wanted to discuss? Maybe the Furnace or some of the shrine's new projects?”

The goddess would have said more on the drinking capabilities of the robo-girl, but she was very curious as to why she had been approached by the one who consumed the power of Yatagarasu. While she may be a birdbrain with a short memory and attention span, there were some things of which she may have knowledge. Or not... Suwako did not mind either way. It was worth asking at least what she wanted.
Suwako Moriya
Main Character

Next

Return to Archive