[Open] Travelling Vendor - Inaba's Second-Hand Store of Luck

Archive for threads set in the Misty Lake.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Open] Travelling Vendor - Inaba's Second-Hand Store of Luck

Postby Tewi Inaba » 03 Dec 2009 14:31

After taking one careful step after another, Tewi could finally see the mansion gates. It was pretty tiring, but she couldn't just fly over it and got chased around by the gate guard and the fairy maids; not when she was there to deal with them peacefully and amiably (relatively speaking).

"Alright~" For a few moments, she stopped walking to wipe the sweat off her forehead, and adjust the bulky sack of cloth behind her back. The muffled tinkling and clanking sounds from the sack might give you some idea about the number of assorted items and trinkets inside of it, but the contents were even more diverse than any estimation - an Eientei rabbit's pink dress, a few of Eirin's test tubes, Kaguya's mirror, an Eientei rabbit's pink dress, a folding fan, a chipped teacup, some marbles, Reisen's suit, an Eientei rabbit's pink dress...

Well, there were plenty of things inside of Eientei, and while the mansion itself is eternal, many things inside of it are not. Naturally, some stuffs would outlive their usefulness, and had to be thrown away. However, Tewi could not bring herself to just clear everything inside the storeroom, just as the Princess and the Master ordered. Not when it could still be useful to others - after all, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

...Just kidding.

The white rabbit also believed that these garbage are, well, garbage, and none of them had any real value whatsoever. But, if the people inside this Scarlet Devil Mansion would like to take them off her hands, and pay her for that, too...

Tewi cackled as she continued on the footpath leading on to the mansion. Well, the customer is king, so she could only be glad to fulfill all of their requests~

"Excuse me!" The gate was now only several paces away from her, but she still called out to the gate guard - or anyone else, really, as long as they would answer her (and buy her stuffs, of course) - as she moved even closer in. "Can I interest you in a few things I have, here?"
Tewi Inaba
Alternate Character

Re: [Open] Travelling Vendor - Inaba's Second-Hand Store of Luck

Postby Hong Meiling » 03 Dec 2009 20:00

The sun was in full effect today. Even despite the chill of changing seasons, it managed to peek its way through the cold and warm the bight red walls of the Scarlet Mansion. She stood like a statue. Not an inch moved. Her arms crossed, her strong back leaning against the wall of the mansion gate, Meiling was impossible to miss; her bright green clothing clashed brightly against the red walls that she protected. Meiling was the stalwart gate guard, and she made her position clear with her hawk-like glare.

Or so she liked to believe, at least. She was having an awfully hard time suppressing a yawn; her body seemed to completely rebel against her desire to be an effective guard. Even despite the slight chill in the air, it still managed to tire her out.

She suspected her body was out to get her. That was the only logical explanation.

After giving a quick look around, she finally caved to her body’s desires. Meiling wasn’t sure what felt better; the large yawn that escaped her mouth of the long stretch that ran through her body. Both of these, however, were prematurely ended as the voice of a small girl caught her ears. She couldn’t help but flinch at first; small girls from around the Scarlet Devil Mansion usually meant trouble.

And so the easy-going Gate Guard was more than pleased to find that the voice did not belong to a harsh mistress, but a small rabbit instead. A grin grew at the corners of her mouth-- this rabbit was much too small to carry such a heavy load, and yet there she was pulling along like a trooper. It was a little bit inspiring to see her try so hard.

“Mornin’!” Meiling shifted her body, now focusing on the small rabbit with an idiotic grin on her face. “What’cha selling?”

She had been given a few coins as a type of reward from Sakuya… And what was a better way to spend them than helping out a little peddler?
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Tewi Inaba » 05 Dec 2009 16:37

Things were looking good for Tewi. The gate guard was there, and not only was she not hostile, she was also interested in her goods.

Okay, time to make some money~

"Oh, I got lots and lots of stuff," Tewi returned as she continued to wobble forward, small grunts slipping between her breaths because of the weight she was carrying. "Straight from Eientei, all of them! You really can't find these anywhere else."

After a tiny bit of effort, the rabbit finally came close enough to the gate guard; gently, she dropped the sack onto the ground, and another, more audible clank resounded from it.

"Phew." Maybe she should have kept on flying, after all.

After wiping her sweaty palms on her dress, Tewi immediately untied the knot on the sack, separating it into the four corners of a rectangular cloth, and she carefully laid all of them on the ground, one by one.

The whole stack of Eientei's 'treasures' was then revealed to Meiling's eyes. "Well, just look around, and tell me if there's anything that you like!" She tapped the pile a few times with her hand, and, while she didn't create any avalanche of junks, some of the looser trinkets began to lazily slide down to the makeshift rug, like the oozing lava from a volcano.

Even if it didn't appear unaesthetic and cheap, it still and sure was very messy.

The peddling rabbit took a step to the side, so that Meiling could freely take a look and pick anything that she wanted from the heap. There must be at least one thing that would catch her eye, because she seemed so gullible, so Tewi was pretty sure that she would be able to get away with some amount of profit in the end - still, if it's really just the gate guard, she wouldn't be able to make a killing.

"Hey, where's the maid and the vampire? If they miss the chance to buy some stuff from me, they're going to feel pretty bad," she winked at the red-haired girl. "I know I would." Of course, she was hoping that the latter would call the other residents of the mansion, so that they could buy some of her wares, too. "It's not very often that we're having a sale like this, you see." She continued to egg her on.
Tewi Inaba
Alternate Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 08 Dec 2009 18:54

Meiling let out an impressed whistle at the small rabbit’s description. She had vaguely heard of Eientei; that was the place that was messing with the moon a while back. While she didn’t really understand it, everyone else in the mansion got all heated up and took off.

And well… If it was enough to get Sakuya riled up, there had to be something to this place.

She squatted down beside the junk, hands resting on her bent knees as she peered down upon the wide array of supplies. She squinted, before tilting her head to try to pull some kind of coherent items out of the fray. There was just too much to look at! It was all a little overwhelming-- she didn’t have enough eyes to look at it all! Somewhere in that pile, there was something perfect… She just had to find it!

When Tewi brought up the Mistress and the Maid, Meiling looked up with a small look of surprise. She hadn’t even thought of that! They could find something nice for themselves, too! …But if one of those two picked out something that Meiling liked, she’d have to forfeit it by default. Then she’d be left with nothing.

“Just…” Her lip had curled into a determined frown and her eyes returned to penetrating through the pile for treasure. “Just give me a second. I’ll grab ‘em as soon as I see something I want.”

Following her statement were a few good, solid moments as Meiling looked through the pile, occasionally moving the larger items to get a peek at the ones below. So far, nothing had particularly caught her eye… That was, until she heard a faint jingle.

The noise was enough to trigger the gate guard’s attention, and her hands now sifted more gently through the pile as she dug for the source of the noise. As if taunting her, the bell always seemed to be just out of her sight, jingling playfully as they played their game of tag.

Out of sight, her finger brushed gently against round piece of cold metal. With a small but growing sense of satisfaction, the girl pulled at the small ball, being rewarded by the familiar ringing… But the ball wouldn’t be removed so easily. Meiling dug intently through the pile a bit more, clearing away a dress and a small rabbit trinket to reveal that the small ball grasped between Meiling’s fingers was not the bell she had been digging for, but rather, the top of a small, ornate bottle.

The stopper was a small, silver ball, embossed with an ornate pattern of leaves and ivy. . The bottle itself was shaped like a teardrop, with a fluted base on which the bottle could stand. The glass of the bottle had been tinted a deep, royal purple, with silver running down the sides in the same ornate vine pattern as the stopper. Meiling looked at the vial, holding it as gently as she would a baby bird, before her fingers deftly pulled at the stopper. The contents smelled safe enough. Smelling lightly of flowers, there was just… Meiling couldn’t put her finger on it, but the fragrance that came out of it was a complex yet delicate scent that she simply couldn’t place at all.

“Hey,” She looked back up at the small rabbit as her hands quickly fastened the stopper once more. “How much is this…?”
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Tewi Inaba » 17 Dec 2009 16:54

At Meiling's answer, Tewi only raised her shoulders and continued on observing the enthusiastic gate guard, now digging through the pile of 'treasure' with her hand.

No problem, there's no need to hurry - in time, she would be able to spread happiness to everyone living in the mansion~

And, it seemed that she had found the thing she wanted.

From that distance, the finer details of the vial had obviously escaped the rabbit's eyes, regardless of how careful she was on her watch. However, Tewi could see that it was a rather fancy container, with some sort of liquid still remaining inside.

Maybe, it's a bottle of the Princess' shampoo or something (of course she has a shampoo, just take a look at that hair), and it got thrown out because of someone's mistake. If it really was a part of the Princess' cosmetics, she should be able to put a higher price on it.

After all, with the Eientei™ brand of shampoo, you'll get the hair treatment befitting a Lunarian royalty, Tewi mentally nodded to herself.

Then again, there's always the chance that it's actually the Master's potion, and it might even be one of her more special batch of medicine, judging from the bottle's prettiness. Should it be used carelessly, the effect might be so disastrous and specific that it could be tracked back to the peddling rabbit, and she would get into a big, big trouble.

In that case, shouldn't she refrain from selling such a dubious and dangerous item?

...Nah.

All of the Master's potions, in addition to each of their own original effects, always have a common property: hilarity. Especially if they are used wrongly.

Besides, weird things always happen in Gensokyo. Who's to say that a vial of strange liquid is the cause of the next unprecedented serious affair, instead of - well, everything else in Gensokyo?

"Wow, you had a pretty good eye, Miss!" The rabbit threw an empty praise at the gate guard as she hopped closer to her, taking a closer look at the vial. "It's a really high-quality product you're holding there, in your hands."

"Hmm..." With a deep, contemplative expression on her face, she nodded her head exactly twice. "...Well, since you're my first customer, I guess I can sell it at a slightly cheaper cost. Just for you, okay?" Tewi held a finger in front of Meiling's face and pouted, apparently very reluctant to 'reduce' the price.

"Nine hundred and ninety," Tewi said weakly to the gate guard. Apparently, things appear much cheaper if you reduce the price by a little bit, so that the first digit is one number lower. Well, since she had already used a lot of selling clichés up until now, why not use the very last one?

"I'm already cutting an arm and a leg, here." She fidgeted with her foot as she muttered those words.
Tewi Inaba
Alternate Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 18 Dec 2009 20:01

Meiling beamed at the unfounded praise that she was receiving. She had thought that it must have been something good, and the excitement from the rabbit had only confirmed it. The vial glimmered innocently in her hands as her attention now focused one-hundred percent on the small rabbit. It must have been a lucky day today! Not only had Meiling found something special, but the merchant was also a kind person! Life was good!

But when the ‘lowered’ price was revealed, Meiling visibly deflated. Without a salary, something like that was just way too much! Her lip lowered into a contemplative frown. Was it worth it to go try to ask Sakuya for a little spending money? Probably not.

And so she had to set her cards on the table. There had to be some way to figure this out.

“I have… Around this much.” She spread a small collection of pocket change out onto a clean fold of the fabric, and chewed nervously on her lip. “B-But!” Her determined stare made it clear that the gate guard was not yet done bargaining. “I can also work, or do lifting… or something like that!”

There was one thing that was nagging at the girl. Just what was in there…? Certainly no simple perfume could cost that much second hand.

“But before that… Just what is this stuff?”
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Tewi Inaba » 22 Dec 2009 07:45

"Huh, you're broke?" Tewi frowned as she looked at Meiling's spare change, obviously disappointed. "Hmm, this is bad - I'll go bankrupt if I hand away rare stuffs like this, just like that..."

Well, just because you're working in a mansion, you don't necessarily get a ridiculously large amount of money - the rabbit, of all people, should have realized that sooner.

The peddlar's face lightened up, though, as her first customer did not give up her desire to buy the mysterious vial just yet. "Eh, I can't force you come with me to lift things and stuffs. Your mistress might get angry, right?"

The prospect of free labor is quite attractive, but aside from the fact that the gate guard's superiors might get ticked off at her for stealing their employee (even if just temporarily), Meiling might eventually realize the truth of Tewi's questionable work ethics, to put it mildly, and that would be the last thing that the rabbit wanted.

Still, if the gate guard really wanted the item, she might be able to get her to do something else, instead. "How about this, how about this," Tewi quickly raised her index finger, realizing a good way for Meiling to pay the price. "Let's just trade - if you have a thing or two that approaches the bottle's value, I'll take 'em, and you only need to add a little bit of money for it. Sounds good?"

And then, the million dollar question was really asked by her customer, and she couldn't escape it any longer. What is that thing, really?

"Oh, the Princess - I guess you can say that she's my mistress, more or less - used to use it by a truckload," Tewi fabricated a lie, but still tried to keep the specifics as vague as possible, in a last flimsy effort to keep her from being hold accountable, should anything really happen.

"Well, she's using a slightly better, uh, cosmetics, now," Tewi shrugged. "But, the stuff you're holding in your hand, that has been the Princess' secret of staying young and beautiful for a long, long time."

Of course, being an undying immortal also helped, apparently.
Tewi Inaba
Alternate Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 23 Dec 2009 20:42

Meiling nodded at the rabbit’s suggestion silently, her mind running through the ideas one after another. There weren’t many things that Meiling owned, let alone those that others would find valuable. But there had to be something, or even a lot of things added together, that could even come close to the rabbit’s bottle.

“I have to have something you’d like.” She said this firmly, as if she were still trying to convince herself.

Once she had heard the explanation ‘in full’, Meiling wanted the bottle even more. The smell was lovely enough on it’s own, but the explanation only sealed the deal. A potion of youth and loveliness… There was definitely someone in the mansion who could hold on to something like that. Even if they wouldn’t need it immediately, it would be a treasure to hold on to for the future.

“….” She was focused now, devoting her entire attention to the small rabbit. “I’ll give anything I have. What do you have in mind?”
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Tewi Inaba » 24 Dec 2009 17:41

"Well..." Tewi tapped the fingers on her hand to her face, now sporting a calculating smile. "...Rare items will definitely have higher prices. If you have something of which there's only a few in Gensokyo, I'm sure it can approach the value of the Princess', umm, beauty kit."

Also, if you can only find a few of those items in Gensokyo, there will be more people who are not familiar with them, and they will certainly be more willing to pay more for the stuffs.

"To make things easier, why don't we just go to where your stuffs are?" The rabbit pointed toward the mansion, hoping that Meiling would allow her to enter and accompany her inside, if only so that she wouldn't be attacked by anyone living there. "I bet it'll be far easier than you carrying them from there to here."
Tewi Inaba
Alternate Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 26 Dec 2009 19:59

Meiling couldn’t help but blink at the tiny rabbit’s suggestion. It just made so much sense! Well, now she certainly felt like a dope for not thinking of such a simple idea in the first place. “That would work…” Still, hesitancy was apparent in her voice, Meiling wasn’t yet convinced that the rabbit would find something that she liked. “Well, it’s worth a shot, at least.”

The guard motioned towards the gate, casually walking through it and waiting on the other side to make sure that the small rabbit would not lose track of her. Once she was sure that the tiny rabbit was following, she motioned through the yard, heading completely around the mansion and towards the back wall. As their view rounded the large brick wall, a small shed huddled in the back corner of the perimeter came into view.

Meiling cast an uncertain look to the rabbit, before moving in towards that small shed.

“We mostly keep gardening supplies here,” She explained, reaching into her vest for the shack key, “But I keep my stuff hidden away in here, so that the fairies don’t get to it.”

The door opened with a lazy creak, and light filtered into the shed. The insides were just about as unimpressive as the outside. Lining the sides of the shack were all manners of gardening tools; flower pots, watering cans, small shovels, hoes, and other knickknacks. Along the back wall of the shed were larger items-- the larger shovels and rakes, as well as posts and trellises for the roses.

Tucked away in the corner nearest the door was a small wooden box. It looked as though at one point it might have held food, or some other supplies. By no means was this box impressive in any way. Meiling smiled nostalgically at the box, before lifting away the simple wooden lid.

“Most of this is just junk from my homeland,” Meiling explained with a sheepish smile, “It’s probably not worth much… But…” She pulled away from the box, allowing the rabbit to have a good look at the various contents, “Go ahead and see for yourself.”

The contents were void of any sort of organization. Things were scattered here and there, some wrapped in cloth to protect them and others splayed around thoughtlessly. Meiling shuffled her weight anxiously, embarrassed by the state of her possessions.

If there was one thing that even came close to having any value in there, it would have to be her puzzle ball; a large, grapefruit sized jade ball carved with the pattern of a curling and coiling dragon covering the entire surface. Inside that ball was another jade ball, and inside that yet another. At various points, there were holes in each of the balls, when all of the balls were line up, a prize that was hidden away at the center would be revealed.

Meiling had never been able to solve the puzzle, and so there was a small hope that the rabbit would not notice the ball, wrapped in a faded purple silk, that hid in the bottom of the box. Surely, the vendor would be far more interested in the laquerware tubes and boxes, their contents varying from dried herbs to powdered rhinoceros horns to intricate porcelain dishware.
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Tewi Inaba » 29 Dec 2009 11:39

Tewi nodded enthusiastically as Meiling agreed to her offer, and in her eyes, the gate guard's signal for the rabbit to follow her was no different from a free permit to freely explore the mansion - well, maybe not that freely, but she could slowly work to that level, surely...

Satisfied, the white rabbit began to make her way toward the gate, but it only took two hops for Tewi before she stopped dead in her tracks, suddenly reminded of something. Her 'goods', she thought as she looked back at the pile of stuffs she had brought with her. If she left all her items outside, unsupervised, the chance of them being lost or stolen would undoubtedly be extremely high.

The peddlar raised her hand, telling Meiling to wait, before she ran back to where her goods were, re-wrapped them in the cloth sack quickly and messily, and pulled the sack behind her as she tried to dash to the front gates in the fastest speed she could manage with such a heavy burden.

Well, Tewi's objective was to get rid of the junks in the first place, so all this huffing and puffing because of her dragging them around could be considered as a complete waste of energy; still, since she was already committed to selling all of them, she must show at least this much responsibility, especially in front of a customer - credibility and all that, you know. Also*, she won't be able to get any more money if those goods were to suddenly disappear.

If only this sack's weight can be reduced with ideals, Tewi sighed as she took a step through the mansion gates. It's not that she was powerless to lug the stuffs around - after all, she did carry all of them by herself from Eientei to this place - rather, the problem was due to the sack sapping her speed. By a lot. If she was forced to tour the mansion while carrying it along with her... Even one whole day might not be enough for her to visit even half the rooms in there.

So, she decided to leave her goods behind the walls just beside the gates, inside the mansion's grounds; at least, it should be safer here (she hoped). After all, this is the residence of that infamous vampire - surely, no thieves or lunatics would recklessly enter the mansion without permission and risk dealing with the security... Right?

The rabbit took a glance at the mansion, at the gate guard, and at her stuffs, in that order, and giggled quietly to herself. Alright, so she had no chance from the beginning.

She gave a mental shrug, and followed Meiling to wherever she took her.

---

Yeah, it would be far too easy if she could enter the main building just like that.

Tewi smiled as she inquisitively glanced at the tools inside the shed, and even touched a few of them with her fingers before she listened to Meiling's explanations and inspected the contents of the box.

"Okay, let's see, here..."

In the manners of a (fake) expert, Tewi lifted the contents of the box one by one, and checked them thoroughly; for the dishwares, she lifted them above her head and flipped them around to view them at different angles, while for the herbs and powders, she would pick a tiny amount and let them ran through her fingers, sometimes even going as far as sniffing them.

...This is tough. No matter how convincing she acted, she only had a vague idea about the value for each items the gatekeeper had. She put everything that she had inspected on the shed's floor, and the wooden box was slowly growing empty - sooner or later, she needed to decide on what things she wanted to take with her, in exchange for that bottle.

Well, she did recognize some of these powders as ingredients for certain Chinese medicines - she saw Eirin using them from time to time, after all; maybe she should take a few boxes of powders her Master had the least in her inventory, and some plates with the prettiest designs...

And then, she noticed that bundle of cloth on the bottom of the box. Interested, she slowly picked it up with both hands, and, feeling something spherical inside, uncovered the object inside.

Her eyes lighted up as she saw the ball in its full glory. "Wow..." She traced the dragon carving with her fingers, and noticed a hole - however, she couldn't see anything inside.

"This thing is so pretty!" Tewi smiled and waved the ball around, hopping excitedly like a child. The rabbit stretched her arm and looked at it one more time, before she turned to Meiling and asked, "But, what is it, what is it? Doesn't look like a simple ball to me..."

---

*Okay, 'far, far more importantly' should be used instead of 'also', here.
Tewi Inaba
Alternate Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 09 Jan 2010 07:57

It was nerve-wracking. Meiling was distinctly nervous as the rabbit worked her way through her belongings. Several items which she considered personal treasures were quickly placed aside without a second thought. And while Meiling was glad that those item would remain in her possession… Well, she was a little miffed that the rabbit could not see their (supposed) inherent worth. The corners of her mouth twitched as she tried to smile, but the box was growing emptier and emptier, and that small fear that Meiling wouldn’t be able to barter seemed to grow alongside the pile of possessions that had seemingly been rejected. That was until the small rabbit’s hand wrapped around the silk-covered ball. Then the mish-mashed feelings of apprehension and pride welled up again, and Meiling was left with a dumbfounded half-smile.

After Tewi had done her preliminary evaluation of the ball, Meiling found her chance to explain, the half smile still firmly in place. “It’s a present from my father.” She explained, looking fondly down on the little ball, before adding on as if the details were critical. “… From my homeland.”

Her eyes followed the ball tenderly for a moment, before finally taking in the entire image of the child and the toy. It was oddly soothing-- certainly something more worthwhile than sitting in a dark box.

“It’s a puzzle, actually.” She explained carefully, her hands gingerly taking the ball from the girl as she rolled the puzzle around in her palms. “Supposedly if you can line up all three holes inside, a prize will come out.” Her skeptical smile made it clear that while Meiling could hear something clinking about inside, she really wasn’t so sure if anything was present in there. “I dunno how true that is, though. You’d have to be pretty lucky to be able to line up all three of them.”
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Tewi Inaba » 09 Jan 2010 12:15

Paying her full attention to what Meiling had to say, Tewi tilted her head slightly to the side, as a gesture of innocent interest.

"Hmm, you seem to be very homesick, Miss." The rabbit blurted out the result of her short observation of the gate guard's behavior. The Scarlet Devil Mansion is, after all, a (relatively) new addition to Gensokyo, so it's only natural that its residents actually do have their own original homeland, somewhere.

Then again, the gate guard seems to be the only one who doesn't belong - while the members of the vampire's club are all obviously from the more western part of the world, Meiling... well, she doesn't look as far west as everybody else.

As the white rabbit pondered on this matter, she continued to listen to Meiling, who was now explaining about what the ball really is - and, at her last sentence, Tewi's rabbit ears immediately perked up.

Here might be the opportunity that I'm looking for, she thought.

"Well, consider yourself extra lucky, then!" Tewi cheerfully exclaimed. "I happen to have this special power - well, not the power to solve puzzles or to align holes, admittedly, but something that's almost just as good," she paused for a while to build up the dramatic effect.

"Luck."

"Yeah, it's not free, though." She quickly added, lifting her nose in mock arrogance. "I'll be taking even more of your herbs and plates~! Fixed price, so there's no reducing it~!" Just as soon as she sternly set those conditions, the peddler grinned and winked at her customer.

"...Or, adding it."

Tewi had purposely left the puzzle ball out of her demands, and practically guaranteed that she wouldn't suddenly change her mind and take it at a later time, too.

...No, she wasn't suddenly awakened to her charitable potential, or that she didn't have the heart to part the girl from her heirloom. A real merchant won't be defeated so easily by such sappy reasons, right?

Yes, she was also interested in what might be hidden inside that ball, but getting the gate guard's goodwill was far more important than anything else, especially since it could be far more useful to her, in the long run.

"Well, if you want, you can also throw in a story about yourself," the rabbit giggled. "After you mentioned it that way, I'm getting curious, too... So, how about it?"
Tewi Inaba
Alternate Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 12 Jan 2010 22:45

Meiling flushed slightly at Tewi’s analysis, a hand waving dismissively to dissuade the rabbit. Her voice had raised an octave in her embarrassment, and it was quite clear that the guard was flustered. “No, no! It’s not like that!” Her attention returned to the little ball, and her gaze softened. “It’s just always nice to look back on things, you know?”

Her train of thought was eventually derailed from the warm nostalgia by the rabbit yet again. She looked up, still utterly confused, before that final word--“Luck”-- made Meiling realize just what the rabbit was getting at: she was going to help her cheat. Now Meiling was a woman of morals, but even so, that ball had been sitting in there for decades. Unsolved and forgotten, it was just rotting away down there. But, if the tables were turned, and if the puzzle were solved… Well, then while it wouldn’t be by Meiling’s hand alone, at the very least, the ball would be solved, and the mystery would stop bugging her in the back of her mind.

It all seemed very silly. She was probably thinking into this way too much. It was just a children’s toy!

“You got a deal.” She was looking determined now, her hands offering the ball once more to the tiny rabbit. “Take whatever you need.”

She would probably regret that later… But she was very much so caught up in the heat of the moment.

Meiling couldn’t help the small tugging of the grin on her cheeks when she heard the rabbit’s secondary request. This little girl was a good kid, after all.

“And as for the story… well…” Her cheeks puffed out in thought, and she sent a teasing glance at Tewi, “What do you wanna know?”
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Tewi Inaba » 14 Jan 2010 11:14

"Alright~!" Tewi cheered. "It's great that we could reach an agreement quickly."

Wow, I must have made quite a profit here - well, I should be a good rabbit and fulfill my end of the bargain, too, I guess...

"Okay, then..." The white rabbit of good fortune walked toward Meiling and, without touching anything, inspected the ball in the latter's hand for one more time. "...Mmm, if you understand a bit more about my power, maybe things will go just a little smoother," she kept on hemming and humming as she inspected the puzzle. "Then again, maybe not..."

"Well, never mind that - at any rate, I want you to play with the ball, but you have to be relaxed, and not think too much about solving the puzzle," Tewi instructed her casually, eyes still fixed on the puzzle ball. "You can also drop it to the floor, but then, the ball might get chipped or even broken - so, you should just stick with playing it."

"Mm-hmm, I think it's a good idea to start telling your story now; to take your mind away, so that you won't be too tense." The rabbit nodded, and hopped on the spot lightly in excitement.

"Okay, I won't hold back, and just cut to the chase, then! Tell me, tell me! How did you get roped into guarding this vampire's mansion in the first place, anyway?"

Half-jokingly, Tewi snickered. "I bet the vampire blackmailed you into taking this job, right? Or maybe, it's that maid?"
Tewi Inaba
Alternate Character

Next

Return to Archive