[Open] Scarlet Teatime

Archive for threads set in the Misty Lake.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Open] Scarlet Teatime

Postby Remilia Scarlet » 09 Oct 2009 04:09

[For those interested in joining the teatime mentioned in Time Stop this is the place to be! As I mentioned on my exit of Time Stop though, no rush. This thread can just lurk around until people are ready. New folks welcomed too!]

Remilia was waiting, she had found the package she requested of Sakuya and was idly flipping through one of the strange books from the outside world as she waited for her guests and her servants to join her in the sitting room for tea.

She had taken a seat in one of the plush armchairs, her legs folded under her as she reclined to read. A few more armchairs surrounded an iron wrought and glass coffee table, as well as a large couch with dark, ornate wooden trimming and scarlet red upholstery, decorated by a few plush pillows with golden tassels. A large window dominated the outside wall of the sitting room, though heavy drapes were currently keeping the sun’s rays at bay.

Carefully etched wood trimmed the room and a number of paintings dotting the surrounding walls. One wall was dominated by a large shelf; filled with books of a much different quality then the ones that dominated the Voile library. The library contained many powerful books and tomes on magic and studies, but these were tokens from Remilia’s time in the outside world, works of fiction bound in leather and written in a language that many Gensokyo inhabitants would find unfamiliar.

For a vampire’s home, the room was surprisingly comfortable with obvious care placed into making it comfortable to any visitors. The silver chandelair that hang overhead filled the room with warm, comfortable light. Even while the design of the room was dark and elegant to an almost suffocating degree, it still had quite the welcoming nature about it, and Remilia was quite proud of that fact.

A smile hung about her lips as she read through the book resting against her lap. Perhaps if Patchouli attended the afternoon tea, she would even make her announcement to the magician. My, things were certainly going to be fun tonight.
Remilia Scarlet
Main Character

Re: [Open] Scarlet Teatime

Postby Reimu Hakurei » 09 Oct 2009 08:18

Out at the gate, there was a clamor. The sound of rattling iron - someone shaking the gate lightly.

"Oiiiii. Remilia. Mei... Mai... China. Someone. Oiiiii~."

The Wonderful Shrine Maiden of Paradise was standing at the gate, lightly rattling it to get attention and calling out in her usual half-bored tone. She had come over for the day for a visit; Remilia so often came to the shrine, that even as lazy as Reimu was she had to admit she ought to at least return the favor once in a while.

So here she was at the Scarlet Devil Mansion, shaking the gate trying to get the attention of the apparently absent gate guard, the maid, the owner of the house, or really anyone who could get one of the above. She could always just fly over the wall, but that would be rude, and probably make Mai... Mao... China upset. Reimu didn't particularly feel like the trouble of a danmaku battle, so that was out. Besides, she had a bag under her arm with a package of the new tea blend she'd recently come to favor. One of the people in the village had come up with it, and Reimu really had to admit it was good. So she had no intention of getting her bag ripped open and the package punctured.

Which left her causing a ruckus at the gate. Ruckus ruckus ruckus.
Reimu Hakurei
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Sakuya Izayoi » 09 Oct 2009 09:22

To any other household, teatime would be one of the most enjoyable times ever. It was a time where everyone could just sit around and chat and generally enjoy themselves. In fact, Sakuya enjoyed teatime too; it was one of the few times that she could rest.

The preparation for the teatime, however, was a different story entirely. It was the domestic equivalent to a total world war. As you will see shortly.

---

A wild SAKUYA appears! What do fairy maids do?

Fight Run
Item >Scream in fright

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

"Miss Sakuya, don't do that! It's scary when you pop up from out of nowhere!" cried one of the fairy maids, who had been unfortunate enough to be right in front of the wooden door linking the kitchen and the rest of the household when the head maid of the Scarlet Devil Mansion decided to open it.

In response, the head maid in question simply said "I am walking into the kitchen through the door. I do not see any reason to be scared of me."

In truth, every single one of the fairy maids could find about five-thousand-seven-hundred-and-thirty-one reasons to be afreaid of their head maid, all of them being "If she sees you make a mistake, you're as good as dead!" But, of course, they never actually informed Sakuya of this fear. And for good reason.

"Anyways," continued the silver-haired maid, "Begin the usual teatime routine, number 1. I trust that all of you remember how it works?"

Yes, the Scarlet Devil Kitchen required preset routines to function properly. Said routine was, however, 'prepare the ingredients for everything for Sakuya and let her deal with the rest.' It sucked, but at least it ensured the highest quality possible. And you just can't compromise when dealing with the Scarlet Devil.

Within minutes (process skipped to save time; one of the highlights included a fairy maid somehow falling into cake batter), all the food and drink that would be laid onto the table was prepared, like the tea (there were multiple pots: one Western-styled, one Chinese-styled, and one Japanese-styled, just in case a shrine maiden or two decided to come. Sakuya suspected that Reimu had a homing sense for these things), or was in preparation, like the cakes. Setting herself a timer on her Luna Dial to remind her of the baking cakes, the Perfect Maid now readied herself to deliver the teapots to the sitting room, while the fairy maids carry everything else...

... except she could clearly hear the iron gates of the Mansion acting up. It was unlikely that anyone else heard it; the kitchen was much nearer to the gates than the sitting room was, and so, despite all the ruckus the fairy maids made, the head maid had no problem hearing that distinctive rattle.

"Take the tea and deliver it to the sitting room," ordered Sakuya to one of the extra fairy maids that happened to pass by. "I have to welcome a new guest."

At those words, every single fairy maid closed their eyes to brace themselves for the incoming, inevitable scary event: Sakuya suddenly vanishing.

tick tick tick tick tick tick tick

---

"Wow, Reimu really does seem to have a homing sense for these things," thought Sakuya. The maid could almost swear that the red-white Wonderful Shrine Maiden of Paradise's special power was not actually the power to 'float in the sky' at all, but rather the power to be in the right place at the right time. She would not be too far off the mark.

Said shrine maiden was now banging on the gates with some sort of package under her detached-sleeved arm. Sakuya wondered what it was for a brief moment, before putting on her usual smiling face and opening the gates.

"Good afternoon, Reimu," greeted the maid, with the usual bow-and-smile routine. "You have good timing, as ever: we are getting ready for teatime, and I am sure that Lady Remilia would be pleased to see you. We have a few extra guests, too. Please, come on in."
Sakuya Izayoi
Main Character

Postby Youmu Konpaku » 10 Oct 2009 03:32

Walking down from the clock tower, Youmu tried her best to keep the conversation moving with Flandre. "Well, that's something that is a little awkward to talk about. You see, Marisa mentioned that she and Alice were going to be engaged. As in they're going to be married, and live with each other for the rest of their lives....which would most likely be for as long Marisa lives. It's going to make them family instead of just friends, and they might need an adjustment period for something like that."

"That's probably why she's only focusing on Alice. In the best case scenario for you, she'll get over this single target stuff a little bit after their wedding. That way she'll be free to go nearly back to her old self and visit you to play. Of course, the worst case scenario....well, it's not pretty, I can tell you that much. For the time being, you should probably find something or someone to fill in the gap that Marisa will leave temporarily."

Youmu quieted down as they approached the sitting room. Who knows if anyone was already inside, and Marisa would kill her if anyone heard about the big news from the half-ghost's mouth. Walking into the room, it looked like only Remilia was there thus far. Even if the vampire had heard, she wasn't one to gossip so it would be fine. "Good afternoon, Remilia. Am I right in assuming that tea is going to be served soon?" She chose a seat that had one seat between her and the mistress of the mansion, since she knew Flandre would likely sit beside her sister.
Youmu Konpaku
Main Character

Postby Flandre Scarlet » 10 Oct 2009 09:56

Temporary. Right. Because Flandre Scarlet's life was simply full of fleeting, short live, ephemeral and unlasting things that came and went like the breeze and did not at all stay exactly the same for four consecutive centuries. Someone of a more eloquent nature would have given Youmu a shrivelling, condescending scowl at that comment, but having neither the energy, nor the finesse for such things at the moment, Flandre remained gravely silent as she followed the gardener down the dim halls of her own home, lost in fierce contemplation. In truth, she was beginning to despair; at the thought of Marisa leaving her forever, at the possibility of more of the handful of people close to her eloping with their strange lovers, never to be seen again, and of the idea of finally being left completely and utterly alone, totally forgotten about and left to gather dust while vainly waiting for someone to remember her.

The only thing the young vampire said to give sign that she was still listening was right as she entered the sitting room, and it was so quiet that nobody without heightened senses could have heard it. "Someone to fill the gap . . ." The moment she saw Remilia lounging in her armchair, Flandre accomplished the closest approximation of "springing to life" as possible without looking the slightest bit lively at all. She dashed straight past Youmu, clambering over the arm of the chair adjacent to her sister to make sure she was closer. "Sister~! Hi! What are you reading? Can I look?" Her voice was as enthusiastic and adorable as she could get it; but that was precisely the problem with it. She had overshot the appropriate mark by several notches, both trying to make up for, and gloss over avoiding everyone for two days, as well as gain Remilia's immediate positive attention.

Without even waiting for a reply, Flandre leaned over in her chair, still on her hands and knees, as though she was intending to look over the top of the book cover and read the page herself, however her gaze never left her sister's face, staring intently for any sign of emotional reaction while completely violating Remilia's personal space. Had she a reflection to check, she probably wouldn't have done so; the young vampire looked like the place she technically belonged in. Hell. Her hair was tangled, dull and beginning to split at the ends; having lost all of it's shine. Her clothes showed visibly that they had been worn for days straight, being rumpled, dusty and torn in places. Her face had lost most of it's already pale colour; but worst of all were her eyes. After not eating or sleeping for days, they looked not only slightly too large and burned with physical and emotional hunger bordering on starvation; gleaming uncannily, surrounded by dark, sleepless shadows. "Do you like it~?"
Flandre Scarlet
Main Character

Postby Remilia Scarlet » 10 Oct 2009 10:42

Though Remilia was aware of the visitors about to enter, when Youmu greeted her and Flandre dashed into the room and took the chair next to her, Remilia looked up with a suitably surprised smile. “You would be correct, Miss Konpaku. I’m glad you could join us and I hope you've been having a lovely time with my sister, I was afraid you wouldn't be able to find her."

She shot a light glare Flandre's direction as she said that, her sister still scrambling over to the chair next to her. After all Remilia herself was unable to discover where it was that her sister was hiding for the past few days. "You’re just in time, Flandre. I asked Sakuya to prepare you favorite,” The smile faded almost instantly as her sister leaned over the chair and Remilia was able to see her sister for the first time in many days, and her condition was striking.

One of Remilia’s hands moved to study some of her sister’s frayed hair, stroking it between two fingers with a small and concerned sigh. “You look awful,” she commented with the bluntness only a sister could manage. Remilia closed her book, which seemed to be from the outside world with pictures of strange things and a hard to understand title, but the vampire’s attention had moved to her sister.

“As one of the fantastic Scarlet Sisters, it is your job to always be beautiful and elegant!” The small smile she managed to summon to accompany her words was a smile one would usually wear when sharing a joke with a close friend. It was accentuated by the boastful tone she spoke in, but both the tone and smile quickly grew more subdued as she continued.

“I was hoping you’d join us for tea today, it’s been so long since I’ve had a chance to speak with you, what have you been doing?” There was a bit of terseness to her voice, it seemed she was quite aware that Flandre was avoiding her, whether the avoiding was on purpose or not was another question entirely. The devil’s voice seemed light enough so that anyone nearby, namely Youmu, might assume she was asking in a purely casual manner, but her sister would certainly pick up the true meaning.
Remilia Scarlet
Main Character

Postby Youmu Konpaku » 10 Oct 2009 20:23

"Actually, it's more like she found me. All I had to do was cause enough of a commotion looking for her." Youmu smiled and relaxed in the chair as Flandre had her full attention directed towards Remilia now. "And it has been quite interesting talking with Flandre." Even though I get ignored when there's any other person in the room....

With nothing else to do, Youmu was just watching the Scarlet sisters in silence. They really are very alike, even if they don't look like it. I guess this is what they call sibling resemblance, huh. Sure, the two vampires didn't look exactly alike, but their mannerisms were quite similar. Of course, Flandre wasn't as obsessed with elegance as Remilia, but to each their own traits, right?

It looked like both were getting along quite nicely, with no need for Youmu to particularly interject anything quite yet. Remilia had brought up the present state of her sister, of course, since it would be quite obvious when everyone else arrived too. That reminded Youmu of something. "Who else are you expecting, Remilia? A lot or a few?"
Youmu Konpaku
Main Character

Postby Flandre Scarlet » 11 Oct 2009 01:15

Flandre promptly sat back down in her chair as soon as it became readily apparent that Remilia was less than ecstatic to see her. She hadn't exactly upset her, but she could easily pick up the feeling that she had screwed up somehow. Even if her sister had let loose on her, the young vampire probably wouldn't have left easily, but the mention of probable cake was enough to have her sitting exactly the way she had learned, and ideally, should be in front of guests anyways. Back straight, elbows off the table, legs together, and butt off the edge of the seat. The honest try and good manners was only in part due to the mention of being elegant; the other part came from the fact that Sakuya would be involved and would most likely be displeased with her.

"I still don't see why. Most of the time nobody sees me but Sakuya and I'm never going to be prettier than you." For a moment, she was sorely tempted to fold her arms and rest her head on the table to accomplish sulking and dozing at the same time, but not only would that be rude, it would probably make her fall asleep. In only a couple of moments, Flandre became very glad she hadn't done anything of the sort as her sister's question reached her ears, causing her to tense up slightly and shift her line of sight to stare at a piece of wall just beside Remilia's head. "I was . . . looking for something" She knew that her elders sister would call her out on a direct lie immediately. Instead she hose to tell something approximating the truth without being informative, and for good measure. she replied as dismissively as possible, as though the matter were of no consequence, fully aware of the fact that Remilia was obviously asking for good excuses and not answers. "Is everything okay? Nothing happened did it?"
Flandre Scarlet
Main Character

Postby Reimu Hakurei » 11 Oct 2009 02:54

(OOC: Sorry for being a touch short, there's not much for me to do yet.)

"Hm?" Reimu looked mildly surprised at Sakuya's statement upon arrival. "Oh, it's tea time? That's kind of a surprise. I just came because I felt like a visit." She shifted the package under her arm into both hands as she stepped in the gate, and held it out to Sakuya. "Speaking of tea, I brought this. It's a blend someone in the village made I thought Remilia might like. It's surprisingly good for European-style tea."

Once she was relieved of her package, she fell into easy step behind the maid, following her into the mansion grounds. "So who else is here?" she asked, curious.
Reimu Hakurei
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Sakuya Izayoi » 11 Oct 2009 04:52

Sakuya accepted the package from Reimu and examined it while the shrine maiden described its contents. "European-style tea? Hmm. I will have a look at it later. Thank you for the gift; I am sure Lady Remilia will appreaciate it," said the maid, relocking the iron gates and leading Reimu to the sitting room.

"Hm?" hm'd Sakuya at Reimu's question. "Besides Lady Remilia and Lady Flandre, Marisa is here too; although I believe she will be coming a bit later, as she is currently repairing some damage in the mansion," replied Sakuya, opening the still-had-a-fairy-hole-in-it ornate wooden doors. "We also have an ice fairy; she was originally an intruder, as you may be able to infer from the hole in the door and other things, but milady saw fit to invite her to tea as well. I have yet to figure out her purpose for doing so," continued Sakuya, passing by a downed suit of armor and several broken vases. "And I bet it's Meiling's fault," added the maid in her mind.
Sakuya Izayoi
Main Character

Postby Remilia Scarlet » 11 Oct 2009 06:13

“It’s hard to say,” she finally tore her gaze away from Flandre and turned her attention to Youmu. “Tea times here are something that is not to be missed, a whole assortment of people tend to be attracted to such things.” She set her book aside and leaned back in her chair. “I imagine today’s tea will be quite busy.”

Once Flandre began responding, Remilia returned her scrutinizing gaze to her sister, though she was still smiling vaguely. “Oh but you’re already quite as pretty as I am, I would say we are equal in our beauty,” she reached over to straighten Flandre’s hat before she continued. “We are by far the loveliest sisters in all of Gensokyo, so we must do our best to always present ourselves in such a manner!”

Was Remilia serious? She certainly seemed like it, but it was hard to tell with the vampire, but that was hardly the point as she moved to straighten some of Flandre’s hair once her hat was fixed. “Did you manage to find what you were looking for? If you haven’t, perhaps I can help you later.” If Remilia didn’t believe Flandre’s excuse, it certainly didn’t seem like it though an extra weight seemed to hang around her offer to assist in the finding of whatever was ‘lost’. Regardless, the air around Remilia remained calm and almost unconcerned, after all there was a guest nearby.

“Everything is fine, Flandre. The only thing that has happened is your disappearance and then sudden reappearance with you looking so messy! Tonight we will have to take a bath together, I’ll even wash your hair for you~.” Remilia laughed softly and folded her hands in her lap.

“Did you and Miss Konpaku have a good time?” She looked between the two of them, her legs that were folded beneath her moving to a normal sitting position, her posture nearly identical to Flandre’s. Under normal circumstances with Flandre not looking quite so ragged as she did now, the sight would have probably been incredibly intimidating to see the two Scarlet sisters sitting side by side in identical, Victorian chairs.
Remilia Scarlet
Main Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 11 Oct 2009 06:58

Meiling was hovering behind the door, fussing over this or that in a last ditch attempt to make themselves at least somewhat presentable. Her clothes were still torn (They had dried somewhat, thankfully) and her guest was still unacceptable… But it was the best they were going to get given the time frame (And amount of fairy cooperation) that was allotted to the guard.

“Now listen,” She was fluttering like an uncertain moth, desperately trying a final attempt to make Cirno act like a civilized young lady, “If you irritate the Mistress, there is no telling what might happen… So just- Just be good, ‘kay? You don’t want to get hurt again, right?”

Meiling was singing a different tune, now. Instead of the commands that she was giving earlier, she had deteriorated to petty coercion and pleading.

“And above all else, compliment the Mistress!” Meiling had found that the best way to seem ‘elegant’ was to compliment whoever she was trying to make a good impression on. Flattery seemed to be a key point to being a respectable denizen of the ‘higher world’ in which her Mistress lived.

With her final words of advice, the Chinese youkai opened the door to the sitting room.
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Sakuya Izayoi » 11 Oct 2009 07:27

It took only a couple of minutes for Sakuya to lead Reimu to the sitting room, all things considered, but the few brief moments staring at the scene in the room... that was almost like an eternity.

The scene itself was pretty normal, though; there was an unexpected guest in Youmu, but she was just the same as ever - no worries there. Remilia, of course, was as dignified as ever; no problems there either. Marisa and Patchouli were not in the room, but they were of little concern right now. Meiling and the ice fairy arrived just seconds before her, so they were accounted for, too; and they were not Sakuya's attention-grabber.

Right now, Sakuya was looking at Flandre.

The younger Scarlet looked very much like a Victorian doll that had been abandoned in an unmaintained attic for 10 years (or was that an exaggeration?). Her blonde hair was nearly ruined, her eyes were bloodshot and seemed to be nearly popping out of her skull, her face was even paler than should be... vampirically possible (an amazing feat indeed!), and her clothes were dusty and stained and wrinkled. Indeed, for a moment Sakuya thought that there was no way this ravaged person could possibly be her Lady Flandre, that this was clearly some kind of hellish doppelganger; but Remilia was sitting right next to her and showed no signs of discomfort at all. There was no question; this was Flandre. And she looked horrible.

Luckily, just before Sakuya decided that she should question Flandre, the maid's cake timer went off.

"Good afternoon Lady Remilia, Lady Flandre, Youmu, Meiling, little fairy," greeted Sakuya (she did not remember Cirno's name, if indeed she ever knew it). "The cakes will be ready in a moment, and the tea is already on the way. Please excuse me for a moment; I need to visit the kitchen." And with that, Sakuya vanished. Again.
Sakuya Izayoi
Main Character

Postby Cirno » 11 Oct 2009 07:45

Cirno walked alongside Meiling, shuffling her feet in boredom. In the end, she hadn't had a single chance to get out of this dreadfully boring experience. To make matters worse, the gate guards fussing was starting to get on her nerves. Cleaning out her ear with one finger in the most unrefined manner possible, she looked up at the nervous youkai.

"I get it already! Be good and suck up to Miss Devil, right?" It sounded like a great way to make a boring event even more boring to the fairy, but if she didn't at least pretend to go along with it, Meiling was never going to shut up.

As Meiling opened the door, Cirno boldly strode ahead of her, planted her hands on the side of a chair across the table from the Scarlet Sisters and vaulted into it, using her wings to get a little extra boost and land firmly in the seat, once again in the most undignified manner possible. It was not helped by the fact that her dress was still torn in half a dozen places, and although she had washed her face, her hair was still coated in dust from being knocked through a wall.

"I'm here~!" She proclaimed boldly, any prior trepidation she may have had about having tea with the Scarlet Devil having apparently vanished somewhere along the line.
Cirno
Main Character

Postby Flandre Scarlet » 11 Oct 2009 08:54

Although putting on a token smile at the compliment, Flandre (and perhaps Flandre alone) knew perfectly well what the thinly veiled, backhanded scolding truly meant. "I'm your sister. People equate me with you. If you look ugly I look ugly too. Smarten up." Thankfully Remilia didn't seem to be to interested in continuing, and dropped the subject at a heavy handed "reminder" before moving on. Her relief at getting off so lightly was immediately stymied however, by the subject her sister had chosen; apparently she had also been a little too dismissive of the topic, and now Remilia wanted to know more.

Choosing to hold her stare directly into the air before of her, Flandre replied with a short, inappropriately curt "No I haven't", not quite keeping up with the same level of innocent pretence as her more subtle relation, and yet still Remilia glided onwards, either oblivious to, or purposefully prolonging her younger siblings discomfort. Despite the nervous, prickling sensation of being subjected to some sort of test, Flandre still threw herself without hesitation on any topic that even remotely resembled a stab at personal connection; so avid for a repeat of the momentary attention and closeness she had unintentionally kindled days ago, as to deem any cost in social grace a worthy price."I'm sorry for that. I hope that nobody went looking for me." Completely false, but why not play at innocence? "And-" A bath? With Remilia? That hadn't happened in . . . ever. Without much time to make up her mind, Flandre found the idea slightly more appealing than it was intimidating, enticed by the excuse to stray from Sakuya for longer and agree to Remilia's wishes, more than worried about than the likelihood of both literally and figuratively having to come clean before her sister. ". . . well . . . a bath would be nice . . . okay I'll do it. Just the two of us" For a brief point in time, she wondered if this was something normally allowed at tea table conversations, before Sakuya entered, greeted everyone present and vanished in almost no time flat, and the rambunctious ice fairy making her grand entrance in a time frame so short she felt her heart jump into her throat.

"I might be more excited if anyone knew who you were. I don't think we would have had a problem starting without you." While the torn and buffeted look the fairy was so proudly sporting made Flandre feel slightly less insecure about her own appearance, the short tempered, no nonsense look she had fixed Cirno with showed abslutely no sign of enjoying her presence. Although Youmu had previously been stranger compared to Marisa or Remilia, having the lake denizen at the table put things into a rather nice perspective, causing Flandre to subconsciously pull the gardener s circle or two in towards herself.
Flandre Scarlet
Main Character

Next

Return to Archive