[Private] Beyond the Books

Archive for threads set in the Misty Lake.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Private] Beyond the Books

Postby Marisa Kirisame » 10 Oct 2010 01:45

Sitting quietly upon the edge of her bed, Marisa's mind wandered over the tomes of knowledge she had scoured since her first days plundering from the Scarlet Devil Mansion. A slight smile began to slip across her lips as her eyes scanned over piles upon piles of plundered books, each one carrying with it a different story of a crafty break in, a not so friendly confrontation (Which often involved being shot at by any number of traps, or by a specific wizard herself), and a daring escape. The Black-White could recall every single covert plan, and every single book she took.... mostly. Sometimes she just took books just because she wanted Patchouli attention. It gave her something to do. It gave her a chance to interact with the one who locked herself away.

A part of her never did quite understand why she resorted to such tactics. Then again, she also couldn't deny that there was a specific thrill in breaking into the Scarlet Devil Mansion and sending the place into utter chaos. Perhaps that was the reason to keep going back? No. Far from it. In the end, she always broke into the mansion to do something to get Patchouli's attention.

... So many books. So many break ins. So many visits.

Lifting her pillow, she collected her Grimore, allowing her thoughts to wander as she strolled through the annuls within, though her memories always came back to Patchouli. All these years of stealing things from the mansion just to get the One Week Wizard's attention seemed almost childish, but that was more in tue with Marisa's personality in many a way. A subborn refusal to give up; many obsessions with magical research and stealing from-... Perhaps she was fixated for some other reason?

She was pretty sure she wasn't in love. She hadn't forgotten that long conversation with Reisen not long ago. It's hard to forget the feeling of those red eyes driving into your brain. Thankfully, Marisa was already crazy enough that it just made her uncomfortable. However, If she took anything away from that experience, it was a certainty that she wasn't in love. This was simply... fascination.

Looking down, she could see where her thumbing through the tome had brought her. It was the entry she wrote on Patchouli's spell cards, as well as some information on Patchouli herself. Remarkably, there was almost nothing there, despite the fact she had conveniently borrowed a spell from her in the past.

This was all she needed. It was more than enough incentive to get out of her room and pay a visit to the mansion. Only this time, it wasn't to steal anything. The goal was much bigger than that.

No sooner did the thought enter her mind was Marisa racing through the skies toward the Scarlet Devil Mansion, leaving a gust of wind and a swirl of dust in her wake.

"I hope you are rolling out the welcome mat, Patchouli! This time, I'm going to use the front door!"
Marisa Kirisame
Main Character

Re: [Private] Beyond the Books

Postby Hong Meiling » 11 Oct 2010 02:42

“Ahh, is that so?” Meiling asked dryly, looking up from her stool to give Marisa the most brusque look that she had ever given. As many times as Marisa had broken into the mansion, Meiling had suffered, and it had become a strange ritual to try to keep the witch from harassing their poor librarian.

Patchouli, of course, was displeased with Meiling’s performance record.

“It’s getting old, you know!” She chided, not moving from her spot and finally voicing her opinions to the black-white. “Day after day, breaking in! Just because you’re getting bolder doesn’t mean that I’m not gunna be annoyed.”

The idea of Marisa entering through the front gate and the front door spoke volumes to Meiling. It meant that Marisa fully intended to completely beat the Guard, rather than just sneaking by or flying past Meiling at break-neck speeds. In a way, it was very much a challenge to Meiling’s pride as a gate guard. She wasn’t going to take that sitting down.

Wait, she was sitting… Darn it! The guard pulled herself up, crossing her arms and frowning deeply at the witch before her. It would go without saying that Meiling had no intentions of letting Marisa pass so easily.
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Marisa Kirisame » 11 Oct 2010 22:00

"Yes, That is so!" The devious Black-White chirped in exuberant response to the Gate Guard's dry commentary, "And for the record, it hasn't gotten old yet. I am always using some crazy scheme to just get in there anyway. You being in the way just makes things...." her voiced trailed off.

Come to think of it, she couldn't recount a single time that Meiling had managed to thwart her attempts to break in. In fact, she could recount most, if not all, the times she just barreled on through at close to mach... whatever. She could fly fast, exactly -how- fast was anyone's guess. She imagined that it couldn't have been pleasant, though, even for Meiling, who was as close to an indestructible brick as most people came.

"Look. I don't want to have to go through your magic Wu Fu or whatever, but I will if I have to. In actuality, Patchouli can wait!" Marisa slipped off her broom, reaching up to adjust her hat as she hoisted the broom up in front of her, giving a little bow.

"Truth is, what I have to talk to Patchouli about is rather important, but she isn't likely to listen to me, what with the book stealing and everything. That's why I would like to talk to you and a few other people before I approach Patchy. The reality is that I need your help. So, just hear me out, ok? And if you don't want to, then I can just blast you and find someone else to talk to. Sound good?"
Marisa Kirisame
Main Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 18 Oct 2010 04:33

“It hasn’t gotten old yet?” She replied, tongue-in-cheek at Marisa’a audacity. For Meiling, it had been ancient for years. She was rather tired of the entire scheme. Meiling was still standing her guard, waiting for Marisa to suddenly feint to her left, or some other dirty trick. She was having a rather hard time understanding just what the magician was changing over a new leaf so suddenly.

“M-Magic W--” She nearly shouted, incensed and embarrassed by Marisa’s jab. “Magic wu fu…” She muttered, as if she had been grievously underestimated. If Marisa thought that she was going to get away with dismissive comments like that, she was sorely mistaken.

But when Marisa changed her tone, it was hard not to get sucked in to the mystery of it all. A talk with Patchouli? Was Marisa finally considering changing her ways? It seemed as though something was changing, especially if Marisa was willing to stop for a minute and have a word. Meiling contemplated over her options for a moment, before gesturing that Marisa should take a seat on Meiling’s trusty stool.

“I’ll hear you out-- But don’t think you can just blast me.” She replied with an edge to her tone. Being provoked like that did not sit well with Meiling at all; particularly not when Marisa was asking for help on how to fix a problem that she caused all on her own.

“So, what is it?” Her head cocked down and her eye brows raised curiously; it was clear that Meiling was at the very least interested in this ‘serious’ conversation.
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Marisa Kirisame » 19 Oct 2010 03:14

They say the first part of progress is getting your foot in the door. If this metaphor was put into a context that applied to Marisa, it would read "The first part of progress is defeating the thing in front of you". Without showing even a lick of concern for Meiling's subtle hostilities over a few comments, she picked up on the gesture to sit upon the stool, and did just that, perching her broom against her shoulder as she looked up at the Martial Artist.

“So, what is it?” Her head cocked down and her eye brows raised curiously; it was clear that Meiling was at the very least interested in this ‘serious’ conversation.

"Tell me, how much do you know about Patchouli? Do you know her birthday? Her likes, aside from reading like a bookworm? Her dislikes? Can you name at least 3 people she would call a friend? Naturally, this line of questioning seems almost pointless, doesn't it?" Marisa's smile widened a bit, giving a little glimpse of her pearly whites as it did, "Patchouli's level of mystery is only rivaled by Yukari and her random gapping. I was hoping to, at least, give Yukari the right to win that competition, and by that, I mean I want to spend a little time with Patchouli, and not by just breaking in and borrowing whatever she wants to touch that that specific moment just to bug her."

Marisa leaned back a bit, letting her eyes move up to the sky above as she reflected upon her own words for a fleeting second or two. She didn't expect anyone to actually take her seriously, given her history with the Scarlet Devil Mansion and it's various residents. Many of which came to regard her as a regular intruder. This whole course of events would just seem confusing and suspicious as all hell, although if push came to shove, she could just break in and attempt to kidnap Patchouli for a little while, though she wouldn't come peacefully, knowing the One Week Wizard as well as she did. Her gaze eventually drifted back down upon the clearly annoyed looking Gate Guard, which only elicted a giggle from the Black-White.

"What are the odds you'll help convince her to spend some time with me?"
Marisa Kirisame
Main Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 27 Oct 2010 03:51

She listened, her face turning from one of utter disdain to one of mild curiosity through the course of Marisa’s monologue. It was true, Patchouli was mysterious, but not nearly so much as the witch thought. To be honest, Meiling was pretty sure that she could answer a few of those questions. Coming from someone who worked with the mansion, the fact that Meiling could not answer all of them spoke volumes about Patchouli Knowledge.

“If you’re being serious, I think it’s a good thing. Being in good standing with Lady Patchouli-- borrowing her books with permission-- these things would only bring good for everyone.” She was musing now, but the stern underlining from her voice made it clear that she had quite the expectations of the witch.

“On the other hand, though, I have doubts.” Her tone was hard as steel, and she looked down on Marisa with slitted eyes. “Lady Patchouli is not some book to open and read. You sound like its some sort of challenge. That better not be what this is about.” The thin-set line of her mouth made it all too clear that Meiling was still debating whether or not she would help the black-white with her goal. As important as it was to help Patchouli make friends, it seemed like there could not be a poorer choice of candidates to chose from. Marisa was, above all else, the mansion’s number-one enemy.

“What’s your real reason for doing this?”
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Marisa Kirisame » 27 Oct 2010 15:02

"Challenge?" Marisa spoke in a mock-insulted fashion, raising her free hand to her lips to feign a degree of feeling insulted, "Please!" She scoffed.

Meiling was only the first of many barriers to overcome, and from where Marisa was sitting, she was making pretty good progress. She'd been there almost 5 minutes and no one had shot at her yet. She seemed to have managed to get Meiling thinking about the greater interests, but the guard also seemed hung up on past events that likely resulted in Meiling getting punished by the One Week Wizard herself.

"There is no greater challenge for me than to learn about Patchouli. The very fact that I am sitting here, talking to you, instead of just shooting you through the side of the house like that one time should say enough about my sincere intentions. But..." Her voice trailed off as she stood up, flashing a crooked smile to Meiling as she reached up to adjust her hat, "If you are so concerned that I intend to wrong Patchouli, then perhaps we should take a break from our discussion and ask Remilia how she feels about all of this."

She didn't really know or care about how Meiling felt about Remilia's possible involvement in this somewhat silly adventure of hers, but she was going to end up facing the Scarlet Devil eventually. This just seemed like the right move to make.

"I'm sure she'll find this all quite fascinating, don't you think?"
Marisa Kirisame
Main Character

Return to Archive