[Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Archive for threads set in the Misty Lake.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Postby Yuugi Hoshiguma » 09 Mar 2010 03:30

This wouldn't do. This wouldn't do at all! The oni as a whole had been roundly defeated in the baking contest. While Yuugi wouldn't hold it against the winner -- a victory's a victory, after all, it's not someone's fault that they won -- she had to admit, seeing her fellow oni bested so handily had stung her pride! She felt it was her responsibility, nay, her DUTY, to rectify this immediately.

SOMEONE among the oni had to become a skilled chef! Who better than Yuugi the Strong?

Her venture had been long and taxed her oni patience to its limit. She wasn't cut out for asking around and ferreting out info! She was a youkai of action. But she held firm, and eventually worked out from a few scared overlanders that one of the better-known chefs of the aboveground world was the head maid of the Scarlet Devil Mansion. As it so happened, Yuugi was already familiar with the maid, at least by reputation, so it made her search much easier! She'd simply barge into the mansion, challenge the maid to a danmaku battle, and if she won, her condition would be that Sakuya teach her how to cook. It was simple and straightforward, the sort of plan only an oni could think of.

Unfortunately, there was a barrier in the way. A barrier called a 'front gate'. Yuugi paused, fists on her hips, looking up and down at the gate, and the huge lock holding it closed. She frowned. "Aah, this ain't good... How'n the world am I supposed to get through this? Do I just barge right through it?" It couldn't be THAT strong, could it...?

The oni flexed her fists. It was worth a try. Of course, it never occurred to her there might be someone on hand to protest...
User avatar
Yuugi Hoshiguma
Main Character
 

Re: [Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Postby Hong Meiling » 09 Mar 2010 19:49

It was something of a miracle that Yuugi had decided to talk to herself at that particular moment. It had been enough to catch the ear of a certain Gate Guard (Who was most certainly not slacking off inside the courtyard, let it be known,) summoning her to the opposite side of the gate with a muddled and sleepy expression on her face.

“H-Hey!!” She stammered out, blinking a few times and straitening her hat. “You can’t do that!”

Ah, being a guard was tough work. For some reason, Onis always wanted to burst through your gate! Meiling rubbed at her eye, before finally waking up enough to understand the situation a bit better.

An Oni was trying to break into the Scarlet Devil Mansion. …again.

Wait… What?! Why? What was it about the Scarlet Devil Mansion that seemed to attract Onis like a moth to fire? Meiling was now utterly baffled, and her mouth held agape.

“What do you want? What is it?!” While her words could be misconstrued as rude, Meiling’s tone made it clear that she was at a loss. She genuinely wanted to know just what it was that kept these Onis knocking on their doorstep.
User avatar
Hong Meiling
Main Character
 

Re: [Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Postby Yuugi Hoshiguma » 12 Mar 2010 01:19

Wait, what? Someone was yelling?

The (relatively) titanic figure of the oni came to a dead stop almost in mid-stride, and her head whipped around this way and that. "Huh?" She finally spotted Meiling, and blinked at the fast approach of the gatekeeper. "Eh? Can't do what?" She glanced at the gate, then back at who was apparently its guard. "Oh! Can't go through? Well, it might be a bit of a problem for a normal person, but I'll be all right, don'tcha worry."

She held up her left arm, letting the broken-chained shackle there jangle for effect. "Ain't a lock or chain that can hold Yuugi the strong back!" At that, she let out a hearty laugh, and produced from somewhere or other a saucer, which she immediately filled with sake.

After the drink, she finally answered the second question. "'m here lookin' for the head maid! She's got somethin' I need, and I ain't in the habit of takin' no for an answer." Her tone came across as entirely casual - nothing in it seemed threatening in the least, somehow, just a cheerful statement of fact. And yet, somehow, that fact in and of itself might be all the more worrying.

Something occurred to Yuugi at that particular moment. "Say, you're the gate guard? Maybe you could unlock it for me! Save me a bit of effort."
User avatar
Yuugi Hoshiguma
Main Character
 

Re: [Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Postby Hong Meiling » 14 Mar 2010 19:31

Meiling listened to all that the Oni had to say with mild curiosity, but found nothing to be particularly satisfying. Did this oni really have no relation to Suika? This wasn’t revenge…? This Oni was here for Sakuya…?

“No.” Meiling retorted, her tone critical and her face skeptical. She had learned not to trust Oni, who were supposedly the most honest of all. “You’re not getting in and not breaking in either.”

Meiling held a deep, confused frown, and her brow was crinkled in contemplation. She probably wouldn’t be able to beat this Oni, either; but naturally, her job would require her to at least try. She sighed, already knowing that her words would have no weight to the forceful woman before her.

“That’s really not gunna stop you, is it?”
User avatar
Hong Meiling
Main Character
 

Re: [Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Postby Yuugi Hoshiguma » 18 Mar 2010 02:53

Yuugi planted a fist on her hip, leaning slightly to one side and appraising the gate guard. "Ohhh. Y'got some guts, I'll give ya that." She grinned wide, holding up her sake dish. "This's a matter of oni pride, 'n' the maid is the only one I can think of who's suitable. If y'don't want me goin' through..." Despite herself, Yuugi felt kind of bad for the youkai. She looked a little dejected that Yuugi wouldn't leave, and she was just doing her job.

She paused for a moment, then peered at her sake dish.

"...A contest!"

She held the dish up. "It'll be a danmaku battle. 's fair that way! You win, I'll give up. I win, y'gotta let me through! Just be careful, oni pride's on the line!" She brought up her sake bowl, eyed it, poured a little more in, eyed Meiling, then sipped a bit of it out. "There."

She indicated the dish with a nod - which ended up almost looking like she was pointing at it with her horn. "This's it for me. If you can get me t'spill my sake, it's your win." Yuugi grinned broadly. "Well? Y'accept?"
User avatar
Yuugi Hoshiguma
Main Character
 

Re: [Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Postby Hong Meiling » 21 Mar 2010 01:48

Meiling's Endurance: 100
Buffs: None
Debuffs: None

Meiling really didn’t have a choice in the matter. Even if the Oni was doing a match to give Meiling a chance in the first place, she was pretty sure that if she refused, all bets would be off, and then she’d have to do her best to fight off however many tons of force that an angry Oni could summon.

She thought for less than a second before answering.

“You’re on.”

Rather than her wonton fight with Suika before, Meiling was going in with a first-hand knowledge of just how strong an oni was. Their strength was not entirely insurmountable. The key here would be speed. Meiling was not the fastest Youkai in the world, but for an opponent as large as Yuugi, she could at least assume that she would have some sort of upper hand when it came to movement.

The guard quickly jumped, high-vaulting the gate before landing down with a holler. First thing was first, she was going to kick that darn saucer right out of the Oni’s hand!

[dice]nlyrvthjjm[/dice]
User avatar
Hong Meiling
Main Character
 

Re: [Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Postby Yuugi Hoshiguma » 23 Mar 2010 21:34

Yuugi's Endurance: 90
Buffs: None
Debuffs: None

The flying kick was beautiful and swift! Even Yuugi had to admire the execution. And it was a tactically sound first strike, at that!

It was impressive enough to cause Yuugi to swing her arm across her body, putting it right in the way of Meiling's kick, so that it impacted the back of her free hand - and even then, the force was enough to shake the oni a bit, causing the sake to slosh around a little in its dish. Yuugi's eyes widened a bit, and a huge grin developed. "Ohhh! That's pretty good! Looks like this really will be interestin'."

That's when she shoved her arm back across her body, intending to push Meiling away... but in the same motion, unleashing an arc of those orbs she was so fond of. As one, all of them unleashed a spray of laser shots, forming a crisscross that almost looked like a flower blooming. Of course, it was also making the space point-blank around Yuugi rather dangerous to be in...

[dice]hwgitprvtd[/dice]
User avatar
Yuugi Hoshiguma
Main Character
 

Re: [Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Postby Hong Meiling » 24 Mar 2010 23:29

Meiling's Endurance: 90
Buffs: None
Debuffs: None

Meiling used her feet to push off of the oni’s arm, increasing the amount of force with witch Meiling retreated. She was able to get enough speed to dodge the majority of the Oni’s attack, however, she had not been missed entirely. The lasers had clipped her foot, singeing her slippers an causing a disgruntled guard to wince in pain as her toes felt the brunt of the attack.

But she was moving at too much speed, falling back from Yuugi’s push, and Meiling could not allow herself to get distracted. Her hands caught against the sandy ground outside the mansion, before Meiling used this anchor point to spring herself onto her feet, effectively doing a handspring in order to right herself before taking any more damage. The girl’s damaged slippers slid against the dirt, and Meiling braced herself-- her jaw clenched in anticipation of her own next move.

She had fought against an Oni before. She knew what would work and what wouldn’t; Oni skin was as hard as rocks, in order to get through, Meiling’s own control of ki was required.

She focused her energy, taking a split second to calm her nerves before rushing right back into the face of danger, palm open and ready to apply a soft hit to the oni’s abdomen.

Extreme Chi "Red Inch Punch"

Meiling injects her own chi into an enemy, interfering with their control of power.
Damage: 2d10
Effect: For the next two turns, Meiling's opponent takes 1d10 additional damage.

[dice]ypxnwsdjub[/dice]
User avatar
Hong Meiling
Main Character
 

Re: [Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Postby Yuugi Hoshiguma » 27 Mar 2010 04:27

Yuugi's Endurance: 76
Debuffs: +1d10 damage for 2 more turns

Yuugi was prepared for a pinpoint strike, but she wasn't prepared for the effect it had; the oni found herself stumbling back in surprise from the sharp ki attack. "Gh-!" The look on her face said it all - Meiling's trick had caught her completely off guard. But as the oni stepped back several paces and cluched lightly at her stomach, the grimace of pain lasted only moments.

It swiftly evolved into a gleeful grin. "Haha! That's an interestin' technique! I like you, gate guard... I think it mighta been worth comin' here just for this!"

She stood up straight, holding the sake dish in front of herself, and in her free hand, between a pair of fingers, a spellcard was displayed. "If y'can keep up with this, the fight's gonna be real interestin'! It's an oni's pride, the strength t'stand up even against the strongest winds and hardest boulders!"

And Yuugi the Strong swept her arm, flinging the card in the air with her signature gesture, standing back and ready as the spellcard lit up and activated.

From above Yuugi, a torrent of huge danmaku globes, the size of boulders, began to hail down from two separate directions in a hellacious crossfire. Dozens- no, hundreds of them rained down towards and around Meiling, not only tasking her with the trouble of evading being hit, but also limiting options for dodging so much that launching an attack was going to be a lot more difficult.

Feat of Strength "Wind Blowing Down From Mt. Ooe"
An even more powerful barrage of danmaku orbs from Yuugi; ironically, the attack is less dangerous in return, but the deluge of orbs forces the opponent on the defensive and makes attacking more difficult.
Damage: 3d10
Effect: On her next turn, Yuugi negates 1d10 damage from her opponent's attack.

Damage: [dice]hitpsktgmz[/dice]
Damage Resist: [dice]bbopoooxxi[/dice]
User avatar
Yuugi Hoshiguma
Main Character
 

Re: [Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Postby Hong Meiling » 27 Mar 2010 16:16

Meiling's Endurance: 72
Buffs: +1d10 Damage for 2 Turns
Debuffs: None

Meiling couldn’t be as jovial about the match as Yuugi could-- while Yuugi was enjoying herself in her element, Meiling had a job to do. She steadied herself, taking another deep breath as she waited--

Only to be failed. The attack that had done so much damage to Suika had been as effective as a normal punch when faced with this oni… Was there really that much difference in strength!? Tch-- She didn’t have time to worry about things like that. She had implanted her invading ki-- however Yuugi would react to it was a secondary concern-- for now, Meiling had to worry about her next attack, rather than her previous.

Her teeth bit deeply into her lip when she saw the globes appear above her, and Meiling knew that she needed to do something a little different to manage against such an attack. The guard balled her hands into fists, and stared steadfast at the oni before her, collecting her ki once more…

Only this time, Meiling did not focus it into her fists, or her legs, or into an external attack, no. Meiling focused her ki onto her skin, forming a glittering, protective barrier that sheeted on top of Meiling’s own skin. It would not be a perfect defense, but it would offer at least some protection against he onslaught of giant energy that would fall down upon her.

Even with Meiling’s speed, she would not be able to dodge all of the attacks. That much was clear. The guard sprinted, finally forcing herself to vault off of one of the falling orbs with her minor protection. The orb burnt at her shoe, and sizzled against her barrier, but the damage that Meiling took from it was relatively minor compared to the damage she would have taken earlier.

She continued along this way, feeling as her shoes eroded, until finally darting forward, aiming to send another attack towards the oni, this time focused on the arm that held the sake cup aloft.

Extreme Color "Colorful Light Chaotic Dance"
Meiling uses her opponent's energy against them, avoiding damage.

Damage: 2d10
Effect: Meiling recovers END equal to the damage roll.

Damage to Yuugi (And Healing to Meiling) from Colorful Light Chaotic Dance:
[dice]fywgivhqmf[/dice]
Red Inch Punch: [dice]qbujpgqbmv[/dice]
User avatar
Hong Meiling
Main Character
 

Re: [Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Postby Yuugi Hoshiguma » 31 Mar 2010 06:50

Yuugi's Endurance: 60
Debuffs: +1d10 damage for 1 more turn

If Meiling thought her Red-Inch Punch failed, she was in for a surprise. Even though the storm of danmaku made it harder for the youkai to get in close, as she was stepping in, Yuugi stopped halfway through preparing for the blow to... wince, and clutch at her stomach. The look on her face said it all - Yuugi hadn't expected the lingering energy from the strike to cause her that much trouble. As a result, it put her in an easier position to attack, and the strike hit home; the oni barely avoided letting more of the sake spill out, and in the same movement Meiling would be able to gain a better position for dodging her next attack.

"Heh heh heh..." Yuugi was still grinning. "You got a strong fighting style! Don't think I've seen a martial artist that can keep up with my danmaku in a long time." She held a spellcard aloft. "And since you can keep up with it..."

Yuugi drifted upwards in the air, setting off the next spellcard with another sweep of her arm. A spray of smaller bullets began to rain from her in every direction, save for a weaving corridor that Meiling would have to navigate so carefully as to make attacking difficult. And even if she got in a position to attack after all, a series of rings of magic were forming in the air, then coming apart until they formed barriers drifting through the stream of bullets. They didn't look difficult to dodge, but they seemed dangerous nonetheless...

"C'mon, gatekeeper! Let's run down the roads o' hell together!"

Mysterious Ring "Hell's Wheel of Pain"
Yuugi creates a road through hails of bullets, guiding the target along a path littered with barriers created from danmaku rings. If one of the rings is destroyed, it explodes into bullets.
Effect: On her next turn, Yuugi subtracts 2d10 damage from the target's next attack. If the attack still deals damage against Yuugi, the attacker suffers 2d10 damage from exploding rings.

Damage reduction: [dice]oyoiqhqpqg[/dice]
User avatar
Yuugi Hoshiguma
Main Character
 

Re: [Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Postby Hong Meiling » 02 Apr 2010 18:19

Meiling's Endurance: 72
Buffs: +1d10 Damage
Debuffs: None

While Yuugi was complimenting Meiling, Meiling could only swallow the growing anxiety in her throat. Praise from a person like this meant that she was going to step it up a notch, and the guard wasn’t so sure that she could keep up with Yuugi’s pace.

“Thank-- you-- very-- much--” Her words were polite but her tone was strained as Meiling darted through the bullets. She was too distracted with the paths she was meant to follow to bother with thinking her words through, let alone the tone in which she would utter them. Closing in for an attack would be next to impossible-- Meiling had to think of a better plan in order to get around such an attack…

And so, even despite running this way and that like a dog through hoops, she decided to wait-- in the sense that she would go with whatever Yuugi had in mind until she could find a better opening. To strike now would just be far too dangerous.

That didn’t mean that Meiling couldn’t prepare, the guard gripped tightly at an ornate spell card, the red-ink writing shining bright against the dull, aged parchment.


Extreme Light "Glorious Morning Star"

A powerful blast of Ki energy that barrels towards the opponent.
Damage: 3d20
Effect: Takes one turn to charge.

When Meiling finally had the freedom to attack, she would make sure that her blow would be a good one.

Red-Inch Punch: [dice]ifkokxomah[/dice]
User avatar
Hong Meiling
Main Character
 

Re: [Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Postby Yuugi Hoshiguma » 06 Apr 2010 07:28

Yuugi's Endurance: 60

By this point, Yuugi was so keyed up that the focus of launching her next spellcard disrupted what was left of the Red Inch Punch ki, and by the end of it the last remnants of the attack had been dispersed. She was impressed; at the very least, the gate guard had managed to make her way through the Wheel of Pain with smooth grace. It was an impressive display. Yuugi was now certain; even if she lost this fight outright, it would have been worth it for the challenge. And now, as her own spell card came to a close, she could see Meiling was already prepping a huge shot of her own. Her face lit up. "Ohh? You're gettin' a new one ready? Haha! Let's see it, then!"

She floated back down towards the ground, stopping just a few feet above it; right in range for Meiling's attack. However, she once again waved her arm, releasing another spread of orbs which began to fill the air with laser fire. Just because she was eager to see the spellcard didn't mean she'd make it easy for Meiling to do!

[dice]rligxjgbtt[/dice]
User avatar
Yuugi Hoshiguma
Main Character
 

Re: [Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Postby Hong Meiling » 06 Apr 2010 18:18

Meiling's Endurance: 67
Buffs: None
Debuffs: None

She had concentrated a small ball, grinning wildly as she felt the energy growing in size-- soon, soon it would be ready, and then Meiling would be able to attack

Easy, it was not! Meiling recoiled from the lasers, throwing herself back as what remained of her slippers skidded against the dirt. She might have acted too soon-- else Yuugi was more vicious than Meiling expected.

Nevertheless, as soon as she had her bearings, she panicked. Even something like that had distracted her enough-- wasting precious time that could have been spent concentrating the ball into its tight, compact form that made the explosion so much more powerful. But at this rate…

If Meiling didn’t lose control of the energy completely, she’d be lucky. She’d need to release it soon, before Yuugi could distract her anymore.

And so, even while just a ball of pure, raw, formless energy, Meiling hurled the ball at her opponent.



Extreme Light "Glorious Morning Star"

A powerful blast of Ki energy that barrels towards the opponent.
Damage: 3d20
Effect: Takes one turn to charge.

Extreme Light "Glorious Morning Star": [dice]qgodbokcmz[/dice]
User avatar
Hong Meiling
Main Character
 

Re: [Ask First] KNOCK KNOCK!

Postby Yuugi Hoshiguma » 10 Apr 2010 21:33

Yuugi's End: 49

As the ball of energy began to grow, Yuugi's eyes widened. A concentrated mass of ki? That was pretty impressive! In spite of herself, Yuugi felt a certain eagerness blossoming, a half-mad desire to test herself against the attack, to meet it head-on. The growing attack seemed to blossom before her, and Yuugi stood her ground, planted a foot, and... drew her head back?

WHAM.

The sound of impact was impressive. The explosion probably just as much so. When the light cleared and the soft breeze drew away what little dust had been kicked up, the sight that greeted Meiling was one of a tall oni, bent over forward, her head at the forefront of her stance and slightly down, so that her horn was pointed more or less straight towards the gate guard... or rather, the direction the blast had come from.

Yuugi had headbutted the ki blast. Her face was still slightly singed.

There was still a grin on that face, but it was fainter. "Ah, c'mon... that's th'most impressive use o' ki I've ever seen! If you'd held your ground just a little longer, it woulda really been somethin'!" She swept her hand outward, drawing another spellcard, and stood up straight again. "Much as I'd like t'see it again, that ain't in the spirit of a fight. We throw an attack and we take our chances - win or lose, our mistakes are our own!"

The spellcard flared, and several streamers of violet danmaku erupted from Yuugi, radiating outward almost like a floral pattern, one which had Meiling at roughly the center. But even as the spirals formed in all directions, they changed, a ripple passing up the 'arms' that changed their color from violet to crimson. And only once they had all finally changed did the pattern 'break', creating an all-direction, whirling burst of danmaku!

Oni Sign "Mysterious Powers and Disrupting Spirits"
Yuugi unleashes several spiralling streams of bullets that all dissolve at once into an omnidirectional burst of curtain fire that can be difficult to dodge.
Damage: 7d5

[dice]xjxzcywfwb[/dice]
User avatar
Yuugi Hoshiguma
Main Character
 

Next

Return to Archive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron