[Open] Stand back! I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Archive for threads set in the Netherworld.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Open] Stand back! I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Postby Yumemi Okazaki » 15 Oct 2009 01:24

The red cape fluttering dramatically in ghostly breeze. The air that practically buzzed with untapped potential for research. The mysteries that awaited her along this arduous and winding road she'd chosen for herself. It was all here.

Yumemi Okazaki had come to take the Netherworld by storm.

She'd spent months after her defeat just gathering information and repairing her gear, laying low to pick up intel and arm herself with knowledge. She'd heard many strange tales during that time, all of which were fascinating, but none so much as that of the strongest magic in Gensokyo. According to what she'd picked up, it allowed its wielder not only uninhibited transport between all the worlds and dimensions that lay out there, but far less physical things, like altering the presence of concepts... Well that began to delve into the realm of philosophy, which was not her field. She didn't need to know everything the magic did for others. All she wanted to know was how it did it.

The power of gaps. What an odd name for something so formidable. But it was fitting, if its user chose such an odd place to reside. No matter how one looked at it, the village had every feature fitting of a place occupied by humans. The houses were normal-sized, doors and windows were all located in the normal places, and the layout was also perfectly normal. But there was not a human in sight. There were, however, cats. Countless felines. So many that it seemed as if they were the proper residents. If that was the case, it didn't surprise her too much. All it did was make her want to know what sort of magic allowed them to live in a community designed for people.

Not a very good magic, apparently. They couldn't even talk back when spoken to. By all appearances, they were just ordinary cats. She'd almost been sent sprawling more than once by the felines rubbing up against her ankles as she explored the otherwise abandoned streets of their city. "Ugh, this is so frustrating..." Enough was enough. It was just a village with a ton of cats. She couldn't find what she was looking for, and if she'd gone all the way to the world of the dead for nothing, she was going to be very pissed.

Placing hands on her hips, she widened her stance and leaned out to call at the top of her lungs "Are any of the Yakumo's here?! If you don't come out, something really bad might start happening soon!"
Link
Have a neko Marisa to brighten your day.
Yumemi Okazaki
Free Character

Re: [Open] Stand back! I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Postby Chen » 15 Oct 2009 15:14

Meanwhile, it was feeding time for the cats, and Chen was just as busy trying not to get tripped up by all the ankle-rubbing as well, hefting a large bag of cat food in one arm while sprinkling it amongst the sea of mewling fuzziness with the other. "Hey, calm down, everyone! You'll be fed, so..." the nekomata lost her balance against a surge of hungry felines right then, dropping onto her rear and letting the bag spill across the ground with a breathless eep. She quickly returned to her feet and tried to pick up the sack with her, even amidst a flurry of nippings at her fingertips, but she eventually got it back into her hands, and just in time to hear someone elsewhere in the village dealing with the exact same treatment, only minus the food.

"An intruder?" she mused to herself, her expression quickly hardening as her ears pivoted, working to figure out just where the newcomer is. As soon as she heard threat echo loud and clear throughout the empty village, she was certain it wasn't just an intruder, but a rowdy one, no mistake. Her ears aimed directly at the source and within an instant, the sack of cat food fell to the ground, no longer being supported by anything as its carrier was in the air before she even let it land. She's looking for us... She isn't a normal lost person!

Yumemi's call was answered right away. Chen sped over the rooftops until she was right in the same dusty street as her adversary, floating in the air with her arms crossed, the feline girl silhouetted against the bright sun. "Not just an ordinary traveller lost in the winds, are you?" she questioned, a half-grinning smirk showing off her fangs in a hope to intimidate the rather overly-red character before her. Her nose wrinkled as she took a few brief sniffs of the air, and her smirk faded, replaced by a more perplexed and distrusting frown. "Not ordinary at all, in fact. You smell so... weird. You smell like nothing I've ever found in Gensokyo. Who are you, and what do you want with our family?" The nekomata's mind was already racing, adding to her difficulty in keeping a confident exterior going. She's just too weird! What will she do if she finds Ran-sama or Yukari-sama? And... oh no, did I just tell her I'm one of the ones she wanted to find?
"Happiness is like a cat, If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."
Chen
Main Character

Postby Yumemi Okazaki » 15 Oct 2009 16:40

It wasn't that she didn't like cats. On their own, they were perfectly adorable little animals (most of the time), and she'd even had one as a pet when she was a child. Maybe this would have been nice in another situation, with so many mewling kittens gazing up at her and purring as they rubbed against her ankles. But right now, it was just annoying. Which is what made her affection for them such a shame. A more cold-hearted person might not have had any qualms about kicking a path through them. Buuut... that wasn't her, and-

The sound of a girl's voice caused the former scholar to whirl around, revealing as she did so cheeks that had gone as red as her mantle. "Wh-wh-what?! I 'smell funny'?! What are you talking about, there's nothing wrong with- ...oh." She'd reacted on instinct, and hadn't immediately noticed the oddities about the person who'd responded to her call. When she did, the nature of said oddities caused her to give a faint gasp and fall silent.

Ladies and... ladies, we'd like to take this time to reiterate a previous point. Hopefully by emphasizing it now it will prevent the need to repeat it over and over in the future. Yumemi has seen a good many things she'd never witnessed in her own world since coming to this one. For example, one of the first people she encountered had been been a ghost who had a little wispy tail as opposed to legs. And, being the aspiring researcher that she is, she's very open-minded to new and seemingly impossible things. So when she's confronted by something illogical, it no longer triggers a sense of dumbfounding surprise.

That being said, Chen, not being privy to the above disclaimer, might have made the mistake of thinking that she had actually been shocked speechless. She was just sort of... standing here with a hand placed lightly across her mouth, not saying anything. Just studying. Cat person. Cat village. Was this girl, perhaps, an example of what all these other cats would become in order to live safe, sound lives in this village? My god, if that's true, such magic...! Well, that bit of peace didn't last very long. In an instant Yumemi was in the air and had charged Chen, tackling her down to the roof of the building she'd been hovering above and pinning her there.

"Your family? You're a wielder of gap magic? Is that what did this to you? It had to be the magic, right? Come on, tell me! You said family, so are there more of you? What's your favorite food? How many times do you get up to go to the bathroom during the night? Blood type? Astrological sign? Ever had any boyfriends?"

The questions went on and on, getting further and further away from the point at hand as they continued, but that zealous gleam in the redhead's eyes seemed to say she wasn't about to stop on her own anytime soon.
Link
Yumemi Okazaki
Free Character

Postby Mima » 15 Oct 2009 18:19

"Oh? Is someone causing a ruckus around here?"

The voice didn't sound particularly annoyed with Yumemi's presence, despite it's words. As a matter of fact, that mischievous voice was one she had heard before, back when she had come to Gensokyo the first time. It had been a quest to prove the existence of magic or something, or at least that was how Reimu explained the red head's goals. From what Mima knew, it hadn't really gotten anywhere before Reimu had driven her off. Mima only wished she had been the one to confront and beat the scientist, because from what she remembered the girl had granted one wish within her power to the victor. She could think of quite a few...bad things she could do with a wish, and being an evil spirit, she certainly wouldn't have any qualms about doing them were she given the chance.

But that was all in the past, and now Yumemi was back in Gensokyo again, which would certainly liven things up a little. Since Mima had been rather bored lately, she was overjoyed to find a familiar face, especially one that could lead to excitment. "Well, it's rather nice to see you again, Ms...hm, I don't think I ever got your name before, did I?" she asked whimsically, sitting on a nearby rooftop overlooking the kitten filled village. She could have been and probably was lying about that, but if it made Yumemi feel forgettable, she'd go for it. Her ghostly tail swished back and forth in amusement as she examined Yumemi from her perch, eyes also switching over to Chen in short order. She didn't recall meeting the nekomata before, but if she was connected with Yukari, she couldn't be boring, could she?

"Anyhow, what are you doing back in Gensokyo?" Mima asked, floating off the roof and coming down towards the two of them. Her presence seemed to drop the air temperature a degree or so, though whether that was an innate effect of her presence or simply a conscious use of her power couldn't be determined. "Not that I'm complaining, of course. Things should be much more fun now that you've joined us again." Mima remarked, before she turned her attention to Chen and gave her a little bow. "I hope you don't mind me visiting Mayohiga today, dear." Mima told her, reaching out and gently petting Chen on the head for a moment, looking down at the numerous cats that were curiously examining her ethereal tail. In truth, Mima had no particular reason for visiting the cat village. She had been simply wandering when she came across it, and with nothing better to do, had decided to explore.
Mima
Main Character

Postby Chen » 17 Oct 2009 20:08

Just as expected, the nekomata felt assured by this intruder's sudden silence as a sure sign that her entrance worked as she intended. With a deep breath, her fanged sneer returned and her arms folded more tightly. "I can't just let you leave, you know," announced Chen, her tails swishing through the air aggressively, "but since you're looking for us, I can't let you keep going, either. I won't let you take a step deeper into the--"

And that's when the strawberry scientist proved she could be pretty zippy, too.

Chen was completely taken back as Yumemi accelerated into a red blur, quickly raising her arms to brace herself in lieu of a proper chance to retaliate and getting pinned to a roof swiftly enough that she can't even let out a word of protest. Just like that, she was barraged with enough questions that her brain felt like it was being subjected to a danmaku fight of its own, and her serious demeanor quickly broke down into no more than that of the flustered and overwhelmed child that she was. "Wait, wait!" she protested, struggling underneath the aggressive - and to her, rather crazy - person over her, trying to push Yumemi off her so she'd at least have some room and time to answer the line of questions. "That's not how I became a nekomata! I can't even use gaps, that's Yukari's..."

She didn't really have much of a chance to say anything more than that, as another intrusion had apparently come in without her notice. Her attention (and more visibly so, her ears) shifted in direction to the wandering spirit's, and her palm lifted up as an effort to silence Yumemi's interrogation while she took in the presence of the other newcomer. A spirit? And one who seemed to have encountered this strange redheaded girl before? She opened her mouth to speak as Mima finished addressing the both of them, but as she felt the spirit's cool hand against her head - only realizing now that her hat was knocked off and lost to the sea of cats - she felt rather humbled and began to calm down. "Do you know her, miss... Um, Ms. Ghost?" asked Chen, sitting up properly and giving Yumemi a cautious sideways glance. She had no idea who either of them were, but the spirit didn't seem quite as out of place; in fact, said spirit was acting quite familiar with the area! Combined with how frequently Yuyuko visited Mayohiga, the shikigami began to think that maybe Mima wasn't an intruder at all, compared to just how obviously the professor was. Quite an advantage for Mima, at least for the time being.

((Edit: argh argh argh how did I do that GRAMMAR NAZI EDIT @___@))
"Happiness is like a cat, If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."
Chen
Main Character

Postby Yumemi Okazaki » 17 Oct 2009 21:21

In the face of Yumemi's blisteringly-fast interrogation, Chen's objections and half answers were steamrolled flat, curled up, and tossed aside. Even worse, she seemed to be getting more and more off-subject. "Boxers or briefs? Can you cook? What are you hobbies? Do you still eat cat food? Are there any dogs in your life? Do you go to school? If so, where? Have you answered all the questions on this survey as truthfully as possible? Vanilla or chocolate? If you could go anywhere on a first date, where would it be?" were just a few of the non sequiturs fired at the startled cat. Mima's greeting was ignored in similar fashion, as the researcher was far too engrossed in trying to pound every inch of information out of her newest subject, even if she had yet to get a single straight answer.

But that changed when Chen raised a hand for silence and directed her attention towards a figure outside of Yumemi's field of vision. Ever the mindful observer, she noticed it immediately and whirled about - which had the unintentional effect of burying the Black Nekomata under her cape. Striking a dramatic pose with feet spread wide, chest thrust out, one hand on hip and the other pointing heroically(accusingly) befitting only the Fantasy Legend herself, she declared a truly eloquent and legion-inspiring "YOU!" and then after several moments of silence, "Give me my assistant back!"

--Ooh, flashbacky--

"But Chiyuri, why? Didn't we get some good research?"

"You just don't get it! You think it's all about the results, but you don't care about the process!"

"What are you saying? (angry) Do you know how much time and effort I put into this?"

"That's exactly it! The only person you think about is yourself! I used to enjoy this job, you know. (heart) But then everything changed after you tried to involve the Grand Unified Theory, and you haven't been the same at all!"

"W-What? I'm still me. (sweat)"

"Talking with the entrants into your contest got me to realize something. (heart) Especially that ghost. Do you know why her magic was so good? Of course not. (angry) It's something you could never understand!"

"W-wait, Chiyuri, don't goooooooo!"

--Wasn't that so informative?--

Yumemi's stance faltered momentarily as she was forced to massage her temples. Dangit, she didn't like thinking about that, so why did it have to be now...? But no matter how she looked at it, this was the same ghost from back then, and it had to be the one Chiyuri had been talking about... What had she meant? Mi... Mima, right? She hadn't even made it to the final round. But that look in Chiyuri's eye as she'd taken off for their world in the transportation half of the probability hypervessel... No, progress was never made by just looking back. The reasons why didn't matter anymore. What was important was that she had one of the top desired test subjects standing right before her, but was still within the boundaries of Mayohiga. And her Spell Bomb system was still undergoing maintenance... She couldn't beat them into submission and study them both, so she'd have to choose one or the other... "Actually, forget it, it doesn't matter. What are you doing here? You've already got magic, so you can't have the same reason as me."
Link
Yumemi Okazaki
Free Character

Postby Mima » 18 Oct 2009 20:07

Mima chuckled lightly as Chen addressed her, ruffling the kitten's hair a little before turning to the angry scientist, her dark grin widening at Yumemi's words and twisted accusation. "Hm? Assistant? I'm afraid I don't know who you're referring to. That incident was so forgettable I hardly even remember you~" Mima remarked, remembering it perfectly and naturally just messing with the scientist as she loved to do. "I do know her, yes. She was behind some incident a while ago, involving ruins or a ship of some kind. From what I heard, Reimu sent her back home crying." the ghost told Chen, giggling a little as she looked towards Yumemi.

"As for why I'm here, who said I can't be here for the same reason as you? You're after Yukari's power, aren't you?" she asked the scientist, smile widening as she floated a bit closer to the scientist, close enough to whisper in her ears. "Who says I don't want it for myself?" she whispered so Chen wouldn't hear, chuckling a little as she gave Yumemi back her personal space. "Such a useful ability in the hands of someone so lazy? That's just wasteful." she said aloud, leaving the nekomata partially in the dark as to what she was getting at.

"You don't look too confident, I must say." Mima remarked, her smile becoming more mischievous than genuine as she thought up a delightful lie to mess with the girl. "Understandable. If you're too weak to beat my shrine maiden, you'll never be able to beat me~" she teased, deciding that she would be the god of the Hakurei Shrine, at least when she was around the wonderfully ignorant Yumemi. She counted on Chen not giving away the truth since the kitten didn't know who she was and thus wouldn't know she was lying. Quite a devious little game she was playing here...
Mima
Main Character

Postby Chen » 25 Oct 2009 20:31

A brief mew came from Chen as she wound up underneath the scientist's cape, covering her head with both hands before pushing it back off her and returning to her feet, taking a moment to distance herself from the crazy red lady and finding more safety closer to Mima. At the very, very least, the spirit knew this intruder and seemed to be on her side. "Oh, an incident?" the nekomata said as she patted her hair down and combed it back out with the tips of her claws, trying to right it again while she watched the two banter. It did make sense, thinking about it; this person definitely seemed like the kind to start an incident.

Another curious meow came from her with Mima's remarks towards Yumemi about her business in Mayohiga, missing the spirit's whisper with all the precautions taken towards her feline hearing. That regardless didn't stop her from eyeing the professor with even more malicious distrust, glaring daggers from over Mima's shoulder. I knew she was up to no good! Well, not that it took rocket science to figure that out, even from the start... Still, it didn't stop the shikigami from being on her guard. Or try to.

Of course, what's a little white lie if all other parties involved aren't fooled? Chen really only visited the Hakurei shrine with Yukari and Ran, or when doing errands for either, so she never really learned just who Reimu's god (or in this case goddess) was and never thought to ask until now. She was just as roped in by Mima's fib as Yumemi could possibly be, her ears perked up as she exclaimed with wide-eyed enthusiasm, "You're Ms. Hakurei's goddess?!" The curiosity coming from the feline was clear enough, though unlike the strawberry scientist that assaulted her with the slew of questions from earlier, she kept hers simple and to the point, quickly following up her exclamation by asking, "Where are you all the time? I never see you at the shrine when I'm running errands or with Yukari-sama and Ran-sama! Are you asleep a lot like Yukari-sama?"
Chen
Main Character

Postby Yumemi Okazaki » 26 Oct 2009 02:28

Not all of Mima's bullets struck their intended targets. The mention of trying to supersede Yumemi's goals made her clench her fist and grind her teeth, and dismissing someone as important to her as Chiyuri really stung, but the ghost fell short when she made the mistake of trying to impress her. Yumemi shook her head in response to Chen's question, pointing that finger accusingly at the blue-robed spirit once more. "That's a lie. I got very little data on her in our last encounter, but I know she's just a normal ghost. If the Hakurei miko has a patron, resident deity, they're currently inactive." She gave a "hmph" after that little bit of truth had been laid down, and if she had glasses she's give them a push up her nose to complete her "genius female scientist" image. But how did she know these things? That was an easy one. She knew... through the power... of SCIENCE.

Seriously though, this girl had done her research. Enough research to know how to defeat the opponents she'd once lost to, whether it meant using her technology or synthetic magic. Mima didn't scare her in the least, and to show this, she reached an arm out and grabbed the ghost by the cloak. "I didn't come here to be stopped by someone who couldn't even prove herself worth studying. You're much lower priority than gap magic so you can do what you want, but if you get in my way you're going to end up getting dragged back to my lab as well." There was no bluster or false bravado to her words; she wasn't trying to threaten or scare Mima as the ghost had been trying to do to her. She was just stating things as they were.

With a gesture as casual as brushing away an annoying fly she shoved Mima aside and turned to Chen with a smile. "I'm sorry for causing this trouble, but can you please bring me to the one who can use gap magic? Yukari, isn't it? I assure you I won't be a bother, and I just want to talk for a bit. A little white lie. Of course in this case all parties weren't fooled, but hopefully at least one of them would be. All she needed was for Chen to lead the way. Of course, she wouldn't be going back empty-handed.
Link
Yumemi Okazaki
Free Character

Postby Mima » 26 Oct 2009 07:26

Did Yumemi think she could unravel Mima's lie so easily? Not as long as the ghost held more sway over Chen then she did, and right now the spirit seemed to be on far better terms with Ran's shikigami than the scientist was. Mima chuckled at Chen's awe, her tail coiling around the neko as Mima gave her another gentle pet on the head. "Why yes, I am, little one!" she remarked, completely ignoring Yumemi's look of skepticism. "As for why I'm not around, well, that should be obvious. Reimu is a such a lazy girl, so worried about the donations that never come. She never seems to have time to go out and find more worshippers for the shrine. Instead she forces me to do that myself! Can you believe that? Making her own goddess do the work, how inappropriate." Mima told the nekomata, lying her way through the whole thing.

Mima laughed openly as Yumemi declared her a fraud and called her out on the lie. She was actually a bit impressed the human had caught on so quickly, especially when she had fooled an actual goddess with a similar claim in the past. Oh well, she still wasn't going to admit to it. She folded her arms and turned back to Chen, her friendly grin having not diminished in the least. "Now now, don't listen to her, dear, she hasn't the slightest idea what she's talking about." Mima assured the nekomata, before her expression became a somewhat condescending one and glanced towards Yumemi. "After all, who would take such claims made by one who can't tell the difference between mystical and divine the slightest bit seriously?" she taunted, leaning down to whisper in Chen's ear. "Reimu told me that this girl called her powers magic. She's almost completely ignorant to the way Gensokyo works, so don't take her claims too seriously." she advised the nekomata, before she was jerked away by her collar.

If Yumemi's delusions intimidated Mima, she didn't show it. The words of the scientist just brought a smirk to her face. "Oh really, is that how you see it? You poor thing. For one who seems so obsessed with studying this world, you sure don't seem to understand it's residents." she replied, not even bothering to remove Yumemi's hand from her collar. "Or, at least, you don't understand me very well if you think you've seen everything I can do, or even everything I was capable of back then. After all, why would you expect that little game of yours to be worthy of any real effort on my end? The only thing your little contest was good for was seeing how far Reimu and Marisa had progressed, a nice consolation prize." she went on, only semi-lying here. In truth, she had entered the tournament with the intention of winning, but she had not been eager to battle Reimu again so soon, regardless of whether or not she thought the shrine maiden's previous victory over her was a fluke. When she learned that Marisa was in the same area and would likely be the victor's next opponent, she made her final decision and allowed Reimu to defeat her with minimal resistance, laying low after her defeat to see how strong Marisa had become and whether she was capable of defeating the shrine maiden yet.

Mima remained physically inactive as she was pushed aside by the scientist, swiftly recovering and floating around Yumemi to hover behind Chen. Her smirk widened as she watched Yumemi try to get information from the nekomata. This was an amusing little show the scientist was putting on for her, and while she had originally only been trying to anger Yumemi with her talk of wanting Yukari's power for herself, she slowly began to find the idea of it appealing. She and Yukari were kindred spirits when it came to mischief, and she considered the gap youkai a long time friend, so she obviously wouldn't want to strip Yukari of her power completely, but that didn't mean she couldn't take a page out of her apprentice's book and 'borrow' some of it to play and experiment with.

She could make plans for that a little later, though. Back to the situation at hand, while she wouldn't dream of taking the gap youkai's powers completely (Alright, maybe just a little), she had no doubt that the scientist before her was a different story. Mima had absolutely no doubt that a youkai as old and powerful as Yukari would make a complete joke of this already doomed venture, but why should the gap youkai need to waste her time on this, especially when Mima would happily take care of it for free, just for a few laughs? Leaning down, Mima whispered in Chen's ear. "I wouldn't trust her, given what Reimu told me. She might even want to hurt Yukari, or your master!" Mima told the nekomata, barely suppressing a giggle as she turned her attention back to Yumemi, waiting to see how things would play out between the three of them.
Mima
Main Character

Postby Chen » 30 Oct 2009 07:43

Chen nodded understandingly with Mima's explanation, finding it to make all sorts of sense. Anyone who knows Reimu to any degree knows that she has never really done much towards the upkeep of the shrine's followers - Chen had never even seen Reimu outside her shrine except when solving an incident! Though that made her errand-running much easier. "Oh, so that's why there are any followers at all!" she piped up, her own tails flitting idly through the air up until Yumemi called the ghost out on the lies she was feeding the nekomata.

She didn't even say anything, letting Mima fight her own battles, but it didn't stop her from glowering at the professor and her accusations. What Mima saw when looking back at Chen was the expression of someone who was very clearly not going to buy anything an intruder would have to say at this point. The nekomata did break her death glare long enough to glance back at Mima, the one ear perking up as Mima whispered into it while she stared incredulously at Yumemi. Calling Reimu's powers magic? Even she knew that! Mostly from being smacked around by them herself. While she was still learning black magic herself, and there were plenty more varieties of magic than she could count on her hands, she was very certain that Reimu's abilities couldn't be called magic by any stretch... But then again, the same applied to Yukari's abilities. It wasn't magic like Yumemi claimed, it was her own power.

Chen realized then with Mima and Yumemi's back-and-forth that the way the spirit phrased things about the scientist didn't just sound odd for no reason. The behavior, the dress, and the scent was all so obvious; that person wasn't from Gensokyo at all! The shikigami's scowl deepened as Yumemi begun to address her, her tails flailing about in the air while her hands balled into tight fists. The encouragement to deny the professor wasn't even necessary, but Mima most certainly fueled Chen's distrust for red-clad intruder regardless. She wouldn't let Ran or Yukari come to harm if she could help it. She would prove she could protect them both, and even every cat she took care of.

"No! You won't see her!" the catgirl exclaimed, her voice raised and her fangs bared defensively. "You're suspicious! You said you'd drag her back to your lab! I won't let you any farther, so get out and don't come back again!" Her fists spread back out into open claws to add to her hopefully intimidating image, and while she kept one hand out, she reached for her spell card deck with the other, not thinking that an outsider would've lacked the same.
Chen
Main Character

Postby Yumemi Okazaki » 31 Oct 2009 01:53

((I know I said she wasn't battle-ready before, but at the time her spell cards hadn't been approved yet. She's fully capable of taking Chen on if you want to go that route.))

The sudden show of open antagonism where before there had only been suspicion left Yumemi taken aback, especially right after she'd voiced her request in such a friendly manner. Just what had Mima said to get the cat-person all riled up so quickly? Whatever it was, it left her with a Chen who wasn't going to be useful at all in locating the gap magic user. Aaaaand that was no good.

She'd been so surprised that she'd taken a step back in the face of the nekomata's original outburst, but even before, when it had been a simple glare she'd been receiving, the unexpectedness of the expression was such that she'd been forced to hold her tongue when she'd wanted to snap back at Mima. She shook her head as if waking from a dream now, gave a frown of her own, and placed her fists on her hips while giving a defiant stamp of her foot on the building's roof. "I don't know what your real relationship to that girl is, but are you both idiots? How can she not even know she's using magic when she's using it? She told me something similar, but that's ridiculous. There's no scientific explanation for she, or you, or any of the others fought. If it falls outside the Grand Unified Theory, it's magic. Do you hear me? Ma-gic."

With a final "hmph!" and a brisk turnaway of her head, Yumemi disregarded Mima completely. She didn't even need to bother replying to the ghost's other claim. Losers could say whatever they wanted afterwards, since they'd already lost and didn't have to prove it. And even if she was telling the truth, and was strong enough to have won the tournament, so what? If she wasn't going to use her magic to the fullest, she wasn't even worth studying. So, resolving to ignore anything else Mima might say, she turned all of her attention back to Chen.

Or tried to, at any rate. The fact that the cats from the ground below had somehow found their way up to where the one person they knew with and the two people they didn't were, bringing the mewling that had plagued Yumemi since she'd first arrived with them wasn't exactly conductive to this venture. She'd opened her mouth to speak, but the feeling of small, furry bodies rubbing up against her ankles yet again caused her to give a groan of exasperation and look down. Big mistake.

"...Aaaaawwww!" She'd resisted the urge, really she had, and not actually looking at the cats she'd been wading through had certainly helped her ignore it, but the fact of the matter was they were ohmygodsofreakingadorablycute! Her pursuit of science had also helped hold the temptation at bay. However, that pursuit had hit an impasse, and now the only thing being held was the little brown and white tabby kitten with the stripes of dark gray over its nose and paws that had been attempting to claw her sock to death. "Aww, you're just so cute, yes you are!" She let it sit on her arm and scratched it under the chin, smiling as it purred like a fuzzy little motorboat. It started to stretch out, forcing her to adjust how she was holding it - him, she realized as it(he) rolled onto its(his) back in her arms - to keep the kitten from falling.

This act brought her back to the present, the sight of Chen still standing there looking like she wanted to use Yumemi as a scratching post reminding her why she'd come out here in the first place. Oh jeez. What was she to do now? She didn't even want to leave, regardless of... No, what was she thinking?! It was this kitten! Yes! He must have already had some sort of magic that was being used to dissuade her from accomplishing her goals! Such a devious little monster! And... and that was the only reason why she couldn't put him down! Yes, that was it! As soon as she overcame this obstacle, she'd force Chen to lead her... to...

And then he started to nip and bite playfully at her fingertip, and it was just too adorable to resist. "Aww... Do I ~really~ have to...?" Her voice came in a whine not unlike that of a teenaged girl trying to wheedle something from her overprotective father. Well, she was only 18... "I really don't want to fight... And I didn't mean I'd actually pull her along by the collar. That was just a um... figure of speech." Even as she said this, though, she could see Chen was obstinate. "But I really won't do any harm! Can't you at least ask her if she'd be willing to talk to m- H-hey, stop it, that tickles!" What had started out as a sigh turned into a giggle as she reached behind her back and pulled a second cat, the one that had somehow gotten ahold of her cape and climbed all the way up to nibble on the hair that fell by her ears into her arms. "Geez, you're both just too cute..."
Link
Yumemi Okazaki
Free Character

Postby Chen » 12 Nov 2009 11:48

((Well, no sense worrying about it either way, right? I doubt a fight will come up with that convenient distraction.))

To be completely honest, Chen was actually a little bit scared. Well, not a little bit, but all the unknowns about this strange person before her, who had so brazenly come in, only to try and sweet-talk her even while arguing and insinuating terrible things as if she wasn't there... Yumemi could be any old idiot for all she knew, but all the mysteries about her left Chen wondering just what she could do to the little nekomata and the village if they were to fight. Even defending Mayohiga from invaders before, the familiarity of the feel and smell of Gensokyo kept her at ease, more capable of keeping her cool, but this person was entirely different, and her mere presence was keeping her on edge. She took a deep breath and opened her mouth to speak as well, but...

There came a scrabbling and a meow. Then more, as the village's more common inhabitants had found a way up to the rooftop. A wave of the more adventurous felines had come upon the three, wondering what all the commotion was as well as the strange new people in the village today. Of course, a good portion of them were also there for another reason, which Chen had soon realized after realizing how Yumemi had trespassed while she was still handing out food.

"Oh no, I forgot to finish feeding them!" whined the catgirl, digging her fingers into her hair in a brief spurt of panic as her eyes scanned the rooftops, trying to remember where the food bag was. Of course, she realized she still had Yumemi to deal with pretty quickly, as it's rather hard to miss an overdressed strawberry that's right in front of you when you're surveying the landscape. Especially when they've wound up with the cats you're supposed to be taking care of in their arms - a fact which made Chen a little more upset, not to mention feel a bit betrayed. She quickly rose her voice in protest and demanded, "Put them down!" before trying to wade carefully over, the poor shikigami nearly losing her balance before she gave up and just hovered above the ground. At least this way she'd be properly at eye-level with the professor.

Of course, Yumemi's sweet tone of voice didn't do much to make Chen complacent, but the feline girl's ears did perk up when a compromise was brought up, and she was willing to at least deliver a message to Yukari. She had plenty of trust in the judgement of her master's master; something as little as relaying a request to speak with her would be just fine, once she was up. "Okay, okay, I can tell Yukari-sama once she wakes up," she answered before crossing her arms, having calmed down with the option of a more peaceful resolution.

Chen looked like she had something more to say on the matter, but after a brief pause, she quickly stiffened and put a hand over her mouth. Oh no! I forgot to introduce myself! Nevermind that this was an intruder; the poor girl got things mixed up and felt rude for not having done so regardless. "Oh, um, my name is Chen. May I ask your name to go with the message to Yukari-sama? And... actually, can I have my cats back before you go?" She held her arms out as she asked - heavens, she actually thought Yumemi might've run off with them. Even if you can never be too sure with her.
Chen
Main Character

Postby Yumemi Okazaki » 13 Nov 2009 20:27

"Hn? Na...me?" Yumemi looked up again, blinking crimson eyes in confusion as she was once again brought back to the present by another's words. To be honest she'd sort of... totally stopped paying attention when the red-dressed girl before her seemed to be spacing out. She would have had better focus, except it was at that same time that she was assaulted by another ball of fuzzy, inquisitive adorableness. What was a girl to do when you already had two cats in your arms, at least three more hanging from your cape, one on your left shoe and one on your right trying to gnaw at your laces and undo the knots, and- "O-ow, claws...!" She was forced to place the first one on her shoulder so that she could reach down and scoop up the black-and-white blue-eyed siamese that had gotten its sharper points into her calf. Then the second cat mewled, the third squirmed, and the first started to play with her ear, and it was almost too much for her to take.

The request to return the felines - which in truth didn't make all that much sense to her, since how could one return what they'd never taken? The cats had come to her of their own accord - although it prompted a reluctant sigh, was eventually agreed upon out of necessity. Yumemi really couldn't conduct any research if she was busy playing with them. Right now she wanted nothing more than to do just that, but Chen looked irritated enough as it was, and lord knew what Mima, still hanging around nearby, would say after the kitten-love she'd showed thus far. "Yumemi Okazaki," she said as she tried to take a step forward. She would have extended her arm for Chen to take them back, but it was nearly impossible to get all thr- four now, thanks to another tabby with a large wrinkle of fur thick above its eyes, giving it a rather pouty expression, poking its nose a bit too far up her skirt, to stay still long enough for one arm to suffice.

Yumemi was a genius, of that there should be no doubt, lest one wants to taste her pseudo-magically-enhanced Strawberry Cross, but sometimes even the most intelligent people make stupid decisions. This was one such case, as the redhead found out in short order. The cats and kittens hiking up her body were individually light - most of them, anyway - but when paired with the effort she had to put into wading safely through the ones still gathered around her feet, their combined mass proved to be a formidable opponent. Yumemi found herself falling, cats suddenly changing tune and jumping free from the human mountain they'd aspired to conquer, and filled with the regretful realization that she should have followed Chen's example and traveled via air rather than on the ground.

It was a bit amazing how fast those cats could return to a place they had previously vacated. All Yumemi had the chance to do was turn onto her back before they were on her. The mewed, pawed, and climbed, rubbing up against her cheeks and sniffing her fingertips and stretching out over her ochre attire, sniffing at the unfamiliar person curiously, and she loved it. Even the nibbles of needle-sharp teeth caused her to laugh in delight, just because of how darn cute the act was. She would have gladly stayed like this all day were it not from the reproachful gaze of Chen caught out of the corner of her eye. Ooh, that wasn't good. She couldn't afford to upset the girl, now. But the cats were all so insistent on being the one she paid the most attention to, so how was she supposed to...

Ah! Just like that, the idea came to her. She'd prepared such a thing with a totally different purpose in mind, but it should prove effective here. With some struggle to reach into her left sleeve, she produced a little, brown, palm-sized capsule. Her thumb squeezed down on the button atop it and, as soon as she got the arm it was being held with free and had located a spot that it could land safely on, chucked the thing away from her and the cats. It went up in smoke as it hit the ground, and when that cleared, there was what could only be described as a kitten's gourmet feast. Sure, to the untrained eye it looked like nothing more than several dozen dishes filled with chunky brown and pink pellets, but to the feline sense of smell and taste, it was the most exquisite cuisine in this world or any other. Years of research back in her own world had gone into making this brand of cat food, and the power of science made it possible for her to carry it on her and use it like this.

"S... So..." she panted as she sat up, once the majority of the cats had found their way over to the meal they'd been presented with, "I take it they don't see visitors very often?"
Link
Yumemi Okazaki
Free Character

Return to Archive