[Open] Tea with Death

Archive for threads set in the Netherworld.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Open] Tea with Death

Postby Komachi Onozuka » 05 Jun 2010 01:01

To visit a person, one must first know where that person is. A place to likely find a person is at their home. Finding a person proved very problematic when you didn't know the location of that person's home. The problems only multiplied when the person you are looking for has the ability to be anywhere, anytime, whenever she pleases.

Komachi sat down upon the edge of the netherworld, scythe in one hand, bottle of sake in the other. Komachi's voice had grown tired of calling out for the Mistress of gaps. She leaned up against one of the beautiful sakura as she waited. Waited for what? She wasn't sure. It was almost to the point where she was about to ask Yuyuko, another close friend, if she could point Komachi in the direction of the Yakumo house.

Komachi gave a deep yawn, rubbing her eyes. Komachi hadn't met Yukari on very good terms... She had been overly depressed after she discovered that her dearest friend, Mokou, had inexplicably disappeared. After some time, she had promised the Mistress of Gaps to visit her again, this time with a better outlook, and a replacement bottle of.... Oh gods, she hoped it was sake... Yukari had originally asked Komachi for her help in looking for pilfered booze, only to have Komachi be of no use whatsoever.

Befriending the Mistress of Gaps might be an easy thing, Komachi had mused. The most difficult part would be to keep such a friendship a secret from the Yama.
Komachi Onozuka
Main Character

Re: [Open] Tea with Death

Postby Chen » 05 Jun 2010 02:53

When wandering anywhere near the Netherworld, even if one is acquainted with the locale, one must ask oneself certain questions upon coming a person of unknown origin. Chen had heard calling for quite some time, and now that the menial errands that she had been asked to run were quite over with, she finally had the time to investigate. But did she want to? Little Chen paused in the fluttering sakura, gazing resolutely at the red and blue layabout planted under the tree.

First of all, Chen asked the Chen in her head, do they smell of death?

Yes! Chen's brain replied! This is definitely some sort of ghost.

There was a pregnant pause as wires began to cross in the nekomata's head.

...Isn't it? Second of all, do they smell enough of death to be dead? ...Nnno.

Fishcakes. Chen thought for a moment and weighed the benefits of dealing with a living person versus those of dealing with a dead person versus again those of dealing with a half-ghost or possibly a three-quarters-ghost or any variation thereof but in retrospect it seemed as though the pressing issue was not so much the heritage of the layabout but rather the size of its weapon, which was considerable.

Unfortunately, this was quite a long moment of staring rather blankly at said layabout. Not only that, Chen was quite a dark color compared to the fluffy pink flowers gently blowing around the area, and it was certainly no flower blizzard in the first place. As such, it seemed like her decision was made for her.

She approached cautiously and tried to look somewhat small and nonthreatening (not a stretch by any means), pausing almost a full ten feet away from Komachi before bowing deeply. The small pack on her back slid up somewhat and nearly hit her in the back of her head during her bow, and she scrambled to right it with a small mewl the moment she noticed.

"Excuse me, Miss Red-And-Blue!" She put on her most pleasant face once she straightened up and repeated her initial greeting again almost immediately after she said it, this time a bit louder. "You were calling, weren't you? Is something wrong?" Curiosity already threatened to overcome nervousness, and she began to bounce lightly.

"I'm not really from Hakugyokurou, but I know a lot about this area, and you look a little...upset...so..." Her eyes darted to that wicked-looking scythe again, but only for an instant.
"Happiness is like a cat, If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."
Chen
Main Character

Postby Komachi Onozuka » 07 Jun 2010 15:38

Komachi looked to the small nekomata with the Eyes. To find such a being in Hakugyokurou was a stra-... Wait. Above Chen's head was her name, her age, and when she would die. Komachi stood up with a disarming smile, "I was calling." She cleared her throat and spoke again, "Although... I was looking for your mother... Or... Grandmother, if that. Yukari Yakumo?"

Komachi bowed deeply... And got an evil idea. She snickered softly to herself. "I am Komachi Onozuka, Shinigami of this world and several others. I ferry the souls of the dead across the Sanzu no Kawa for divine judgement." She let that sink in. "You see... Yakumo-sama and I met some time ago. I promised her then that I would be back to visit her some time." She held up the bottle of sake, "Do you know where she is?"

All through this, Komachi never explained just -how- she knew that Chen was related to Yukari at all.
Komachi Onozuka
Main Character

Postby Chen » 08 Jun 2010 09:41

There was a startling series of realizations in a very short time in poor Chen's brain, and to be brutally honest, they came almost wholly in the wrong order. Her initial reaction was one of rage, and in a snap, she assumed the most threatening stance she could manage and hissed, tails fluffed and standing firmly on end.

"Yukari-sama isn't anybody's grandma! She's hardly older than I am, she told me so herself! ...Once! She's the wonderful and beautiful young master of my wonderful and beautiful old master, and don't you...forget..." Her rage petered out more quickly than she would have liked, and her furious expression drooped into something of a blank one.

Shini...gami? Though little Chen did not quiver immediately at the thought, once again a lesson she was taught quite a long time ago reiterated itself in her mind, and it (along with Komachi's calm and pleasant smile) shook her to her core.

Rarely is the noisy youkai the powerful one.

That had to apply to shinigami, too, didn't it?

"You're...going to take Yukari-sama away, aren't you...?" Despite her best attempts, Chen's lip refused to curl back into a snarl, and though her eyes narrowed without a problem, it looked much more like she suddenly got dust in them than it did any sort of threatening gesture. "I-I'll stop you with all of my strength! Don't you dare underestimate me...!"

Now? Now, she was quivering a little.
"Happiness is like a cat, If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."
Chen
Main Character

Postby Komachi Onozuka » 10 Jun 2010 02:56

Direct daughter? Komachi wondered. Not knowing a family's history made it difficult to tell relations (duh). She watched as Chen began to frightfully freak out... It was hard not to laugh, but Komachi did feel bad in a way. She smiled, standing, "I'm not going to take Yakumo-sama away. Her time before death is incalculable. I think the gods have just given up on that girl." She chuckled.

As old as Chen? Perhaps that and a few more millennium. Komachi chuckled and moved to pat Chen on the head, "Don't worry, little one. I am a friend. Had I come to reap Yukari's soul, which I doubt will happen within my lifetime, then I would bring flowers, not spirits. I have a promise to keep with her. We met earlier, to tell you the truth. Sorry for the scare."
Komachi Onozuka
Main Character

Postby Chen » 10 Jun 2010 15:17

Although she did stiffen up as Komachi got close to her, Chen couldn't help but relax a little at that gentle pat. It wasn't something she would readily admit, but sometimes little gestures like that went awfully far in calming her nerves, and she was quick to offer a rather sheepish smile. She even nuzzled up toward the shinigami's hand, if only a little.

"No, no, it's...well, I let myself get carried away. It was rude of me to accuse you of something like that, I know I get upset whenever humans assume I'm there to steal their children's life's breath away, and I bet people assume you're going to just up and kill them for no reason they understand a lot, so I'm very, very sorry and I hope you won't think less of Ran-sama or Yukari-sama because of my rashness, and oh I forgot to introduce myself!" As the nekomata spoke her words got quicker and quicker and the poor thing nearly went a little blue in the face from not bothering to breathe. She jerked away a bit sharply after her little speech only to give another deep bow, holding it as she spoke again.

"My name is Chen! I belong to Ran-sama - um, that is, I'm Ran-sama's shikigami, and maybe you don't know who that is, but Ran-sama is Yukari-sama's shikigami. So, if you're a friend of Yukari-sama's, please allow me to help you in any way I can!" Chen held the bow a little bit too long this time as well, only standing as once again her pack bumped softly into the back of her head.
Chen
Main Character

Postby Yukari Yakumo » 16 Jun 2010 11:58

"A shinigami liking cats? How very traditional..."

All the noise had managed to raise Yukari from her light snooze and she had come down to see what the ruckus was about. She had emerged from behind the overly-excitable Chen, popping up from one of her ever-ubiquitous gaps to place a hand on the cat's shoulder as she faced Komachi.

"Calm, Chen. It's not surprising to see a death goddess so near the boundary of life and death, is it? And someone living around the Netherworld shouldn't be that bothered to see them going about their business... or not going about their business as the case may be."

On seeing the bottle of... (alcohol?) she uttered a pleased exclamation, as if surprised by the sudden generosity.
"Ah! Is that a present for me? How bold of you, Ms Reaper!"

And they had a lovely tea-party indeed.
Yukari Yakumo
Forum/IRC Moderator

Return to Archive