[Invite only] Remembering the Touch of Death

Archive for threads set in the Netherworld.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

Re: [Invite only] Remembering the Touch of Death

Postby Yuyuko Saigyouji » 11 Jun 2012 22:50

Yukari Yakumo wrote:"Not that that is something of much interest to you, I'm sure. After all, you do seem quite content here, in this lightless room, hiding from away from any sense of desire or duty or curiosity or even fear or any emotion at all. I mean, how could you? Perfectly reasonable for someone trapped in a room with no escape."

"The door's over there..." she said, pointing at the opposite wall - composed of sliding screen doors covered with a liberal application of talismans.

"Say... I wonder. Would you like to try? Seeing the world beyond these four walls, that is?"

"Please fix that hole when you leave."
Yuyuko Saigyouji
Alternate Character

Postby Yukari Yakumo » 17 Jun 2012 01:01

It seemed that this girl would have none of it. Not by simple coercement or suggestion would she be budged. Problematic, perhaps, if words were the only recourse available.

Not that words would have failed, in the end. It was just that sometimes, it was not best to linger; humans (other ones, at least;) could be so tiresome with their questions and it would be ever so problematic to have to talk her way out all of that. Or slaughter her way out, for that matter. And sometimes things needed to be shown directly, instead of just talked over.

" 'The way out is through the door. Why is it that no one will use this method?' " Yukari replied in turn as if imparting a great wisdom upon the small girl. Yet she smiled and nodded, serenely going along with what Yuyuko said. "But of course the hole will close up after I go. But- you will be coming with me."

Another smile, another nod. The smile was far too wide, too many sharp pearly teeth exposed as the youkai reached forward, leaning out of the tear in the world, reaching out and looming above as if the distance between the two did not exist, seizing Yuyuko's arm in a steely, velveted grip as the world spins on end to leave the portal below, pulling her back, sending her tumbling downwards into the waiting maw; a warped ragged mouthlike hole filled with purple, the same shade as the boundary youkai's suddenly opaque eyes. The smile shifted into a hideous, waiting opening.

And vanished, as Yuyuko fell through the gap.

---

---

Motion, without motion.

Shades of purple, all around.

Unblinking eyes, staring at her. They did not move in any form of sequence, some spinning around the girl in freefall, some rushing past. Still others kept pace, affixed to her by distance, perhaps. Others rushed away, as if her presence were intolerable. But all were innumerable amidst the violet background. More eyes watching her, viewing, judging, visually dissecting every last part of her, as if able to pierce into her form and thoughts and history - more cold, emotionless flat eyes than she had seen in a lifetime.

No sign of Yukari.

Time was next to immeasurate here; perhaps if one were to be able to count the seconds in heartbeats while spinning endlessly in freefall, frozen in place and accelerating all the while one might be able to see seconds, minutes, hours pass. But it was not long enough to grow accustomed to this place before

---

---

They arrived.

There was no immediate sense of discontinuation, though to be suddenly seated and one's view changing to that of a different, larger room, may have indicated that this wasn't all just a sudden fever dream.

"Ah, here already." Yukari was faced away, out of arms length. She had just reached up to take a slim book from the bookshelf. One bookshelf of many; an airy, open library, stone-walled and cool and brightly lit, ventilated by open, glassless windows. Beyond, sandy dunes and bright, blue skies, all around the otherwise unoccupied library.

"I wonder..." she said, still facing away from the girl she had just kidnapped. "How much do you actually know of the world?" The arid wind blew into the room, carefree and wild.
Yukari Yakumo
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Yuyuko Saigyouji » 10 Feb 2013 21:38

There was no immediate response. Unlike the other times that she had said nothing, however, this was not because she had nothing to say. Suddenly being pulled through a gaping void by a strange woman was, naturally, quite disorientating; this coupled with the girl's rather lacking physical strength had ensured that she was now sprawled on her back in the layer of fine sand that covered the floor.

"Mmph. I do not remember asking to take me with you when you left," she muttered. She pushed herself back up, gathered herself into a seiza, and began brushing the grit out of her hair. Of course, sand being sand, it had also infiltrated her clothing. That would be dealt with later.

Yukari Yakumo wrote:"I wonder... How much do you actually know of the world?" The arid wind blew into the room, carefree and wild."

"Enough to know that my dearest father would be beside himself if he actually cared about his daughter." She adjusted the neck of her kimono. "You have not taken me for ransom. That would be a foolish thing to do, and although you are certainly rude, you do not appear to be a fool. You are no assassin either, or I would have been summarily dealt with long before this moment."

A pause, accompanied by a haughty stare.

"What is it that you desire from me?"
Yuyuko Saigyouji
Alternate Character

Postby Yukari Yakumo » 20 Feb 2013 22:26

"Well, now." An actual, heartfelt response that was more than a couple of words. This was better than Yukari's previous attempts at drawing out a reaction, any reaction.

But, the question struck home to the purple dressed youkai - the careful plotter who saw an intricate in each drop of rain, could see... surprisingly little as to what she wanted out of this sullen little girl. Truly, there were a vast multitude of uses she could put forward for the girl's power, but most of those did not involve seeing what would be the point of indulging her to this extent. What on earth was it she was after, she wondered to herself. It was not often that the youkai took leaps of faith based on intuition; yet, it niggled at her, as though a mystery unsolved.

Much like the girl, in fact.

-And, of course, there was the other, original reason she was here for. There was no point in hiding that, at least.

"You are a lethal threat to everyone around you," Yukari stated bluntly, sitting opposite the girl in formal manner. Drawing her back straight, kneeling upon the ground. "In such a manner that, if unchecked and uncontrolled, could devastate a great many lives. And the effects of that," the youkai sniffs, "could have some minor deleterious effects on designs of mine."

"Thus," she continued, inclining her head towards the other. "An interest, so to speak. Though I have to admit, I have yet to find a more bedraggled and young specimen of such a threat to the world, however."
Yukari Yakumo
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Yuyuko Saigyouji » 05 Mar 2013 21:11

Yukari Yakumo wrote:"An interest, so to speak. Though I have to admit, I have yet to find a more bedraggled and young specimen of such a threat to the world, however."

"Unchecked and uncontrolled, you say, and yet you remove me from the room that is enchanted to bind my... power. How much do you actually know of the world?" she asked flatly, fully aware that the same query had been used in the other direction several seconds ago.

"If your intent is to deal with me, I must point out to you that my spirit will likely be more dangerous when freed from this frail body," she muttered, staring at the purple woman. "Why do you think I tolerate this meager existence, a fear of death?

While the library itself was rather warm, any mortal creature would currently be feeling a sudden freezing sensation.
Yuyuko Saigyouji
Alternate Character

Postby Yukari Yakumo » 06 Mar 2013 16:50

There.

A spark of anger, of fire under that dull exterior. A sign of life under that chrysalis, that there something that struggled despite itself, wanting to be free.

-Or perhaps just what Yukari wanted to see, in that girl's voice, in her low toned words.

Either way. A response, a barbed one at that. An unnatural chill in the air. How very... dramatic.

"My, my. What cold words. And, oh my, have I erred? To draw out this dangerous but weary beast from her gilded cage? The best human wards provided by the House of Saigyouji at their height of power, no doubt, guarded by their stalwart protectors and talismans that would turn away even the strongest youkai-"

A head-tilt. A slight, knowing smile. Gloved hand moving through a now-familiar rift in the air to pull back curtains behind her, the sun low enough in the sky to outline her silhouette in a golden corona amongst those aged bookshelves. Not quite enough to shine directly to Yuyuko's face, though the desert light teased around the young girl's dress, across her hands.

The sunlight clashed quite horribly with the youkai's purple dress, it must be said.

"Mm. Much warmer. Human lives tend to be so short, their wards straightforward in their deviousness, trying to seal things away with brute force, never thinking of what might result. Would you like some tea?"

Taking out a tea-set regardless of the offer was accepted or not;
"If your family had their way, you'd likely die sooner, rather than later, and I'd have my doubts that such human defenses would perservere against that youkai-like power of yours - it takes a strong existence even to resist it; to keep it in check by force would take all the efforts of a powerful spirit, consuming both. And that doesn't suit anyone, now, does it? What reason have you to live, then, if it is not death that holds you back? Why not transcend, descend, whatever, into a vengeful, wrath-filled spirit who could extract harsh compensation from your stranglehold confinement?"

A goad, perhaps. A trap? A test? All at once?

She offered the cup outwards, gesturing to the green ceramic mug, the crisp aroma of an unknown blend slowly rising in the dry air.
Yukari Yakumo
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Yuyuko Saigyouji » 10 Mar 2013 13:20

Yukari Yakumo wrote:"If your family had their way, you'd likely die sooner, rather than later, and I'd have my doubts that such human defenses would perservere against that youkai-like power of yours - it takes a strong existence even to resist it; to keep it in check by force would take all the efforts of a powerful spirit, consuming both. And that doesn't suit anyone, now, does it? What reason have you to live, then, if it is not death that holds you back? Why not transcend, descend, whatever, into a vengeful, wrath-filled spirit who could extract harsh compensation from your stranglehold confinement?"

She stared blankly for several moments, ignoring the proffered drink, and then launched herself at the golden-haired woman to clutch at the collar of her clothing.

"You do not understand," she spat, eyes burning. The cup clattered to the floor. "Listen well. You have complete control over your own abilities, you are at no risk of inadvertently devastating an entire province if left unchecked, murdering friends, family, servants, or developing a level of power so great that your own body deteriorates from the stress of containing your existence." She released her weak grasp, hands shaking, but her face showed no weakness of emotion.

"When I cause the death of a creature, I am subjected to the complete anguish and torment of their passing, and having had their lives ended unnaturally they will tend to remain in my vicinity rather than disappearing from this world. That is why. Are you yet satisfied, or will you be asking me to convey to you the exact sensations of dying?"

At this point the girl realized that she would not likely be returning any time soon. Not that it bothered her - spending time within an area both magically protected and mostly devoid of life was a pleasant convenience, and the specifics of where exactly that location happened to be was of little importance; a more immediate concern was the sand that had filtered down her neck, and she sat up again to tug irritably at her garb.

"It is rude to ask of others what you would not willingly give. I believe it is your turn to explain yourself, hostess."
Yuyuko Saigyouji
Alternate Character

Postby Yukari Yakumo » 22 Mar 2013 03:48

Not pulling her erstwhile assailant away as the smaller hands grasped at her, Yukari stops the rolling cup with a fingertip, the clink of porcelain against stone leaving a sudden silence in its passing.

"We should feel sorrow, but not sink under its oppression. Humans are fond of their trite phrases, are they not? Well, enough of that."

The youkai took a moment to retrieve the cup, the spilled drink forgotten on the sandy floor.

"If seals and magics left all such beings with dangerous powers as seemingly placid as you," she finally responds, replacing the fallen containerback in its proper place on the tray, "There would be no call for shrine maidens and youkai exterminators in this world." Yukari watched with almost amused interest as the one opposite her strained to relieve her discomfort.

"I've seen similar tales of those deemed dangerous - and I make no mistake, your powers are truly fearesome - but I have not observed one of your particular viewpoints and reserves of calmness. Since you do not appear to be an existential threat to the entire continent around you - yet, at least - I believe watching over you could provide some rather interesting feedback. Make no mistake; my original intent was to determine whether you were simply a trapped beast, or a hidden away weapon - to find a girl simply waiting alone is somewhat of a novelty. Wouldn't you say?" Answering demand with question.
Yukari Yakumo
Forum/IRC Moderator

Previous

Return to Archive