[Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Archive for threads set in the Bamboo Forest of the Lost.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Postby Reisen Udongein Inaba » 06 Aug 2009 01:08

"Now 30 grams of Cinnabar," Reisen Udongein Inaba recited slowly. Her hand hand shook unsteadily as she gently poured a small vial of ground-up minerals into a steaming bottle of blue liquid.

Swirling it gently with a wooden spoon, a small sigh of relief escaped her lips as the blueness gradually gave way into a glimmering crimson. The brightness of the potion casted an eerie red glow over Reisen's small bedroom in Eientei.

"Alright," She removed her goggles, squinting at the next step of the recipe on her desk. "One Amanita mushroom cap." Her eyes quickly scanned the shelves of her makeshift laboratory for any mushrooms, but they were depressingly absent. Reisen cursed under her breath, plugging the neck of the potion with a cork to keep it fresh. The different ingredients had to be mixed within a specific time-frame of each other or the entire thing would be a failure. Judging from the quality of the other ingredients, she estimated she had a couple of hours before the bright red colour of her potion would deteriorate into a dull gray.

Of course, she could always ask her Master for some of the mushrooms. The supply cabinet of the Legendary Moon Pharmacist was much more well-stocked than Reisen's tiny room. This, however, was a matter of pride. How could she claim to be an apprentice of the greatest pharmacist of the moon and be unable to create one measly little potion? She shook her head. Asking the Master or the Princess for help would defeat the whole purpose of making the potion.

The only other option would be to find it herself. Amanita mushrooms were extreme rarities; only found deep within the Forest of Magic. The moon-rabbit hesitated for a brief moment before quickly changing into her standard white dress-shirt and tie. Gently placing the potion underneath her bed, she left the room and began jogging towards the exit of the massive mansion.
Image
User avatar
Reisen Udongein Inaba
Main Character
 

Re: [Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Postby Fujiwara no Mokou » 06 Aug 2009 06:46

Outside in the Bamboo Forest of the Lost the fiery girl, Fujiwara no Mokou, was busy on the heroic task of… leading a rabbit back to Eientei.

She had been relaxing in the forest after the rather busy day she had not to long ago over at the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and as nice as getting out was (even despite the ups and downs) she really did feel the most at home among the bamboo.

Her relatively quiet day did make a change when she found one of the earth rabbits lost and wailing in one of the deeper thickets of the dense woodland. Mokou couldn’t ignore the pleas and began leading the rabbit back towards her home in Eientei. The immortal girl could maneuver the forest as though it were part of her, so the trek took almost no time.

Once they reached Eientei the phoenix hesitated on the edge of the clearing, urging the rabbit forward while she remained behind. Her duels with Kaguya could be fun in their own painful way, but she couldn’t deny the fact the very sight of that girl filled her with a rage she desperately did not wish to experience today. Once the rabbit was safely inside the gates of the forest manor she began to retreat into the safety of the bamboo woods until she noticed a thrashing of bushes and leaves on the other side of the clearing.

Great, what was that? It was dangerously close to the gates of the manor but… She had to check, just in case. She let out a sigh as she rounded the clearing, sticking to the inside of the bamboo to obscure her figure as she maneuvered to where the rustling was coming from.

Surprise, surprise. It was another of the earth rabbits, this one apparently caught in some sort of rope near a tree. Without saying a word Mokou knelt next to the captured rabbit and began untying the ropes that had snared it. What a dangerous thing to have lying around at the Gensokyo Kingdom of Bunnies, overseen by the one and only lunatic princess, Kaguya. Hopefully she could get this rabbit free before anyone from inside would catch sight of her and undoubtedly alert that brat.
Image

http://i.imgur.com/1Azms.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/79Z2EEk.png

Rinranrunning 1d100 for the amount of tsundere Fuji has for Kaguya.
Sakuya_Izayoi Rinranrunning rolled 1 100-sided dice. < 100 > Total: 100 (100).
User avatar
Fujiwara no Mokou
Forum/IRC Moderator
 

Re: [Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Postby Reisen Udongein Inaba » 07 Aug 2009 01:19

For intruders and the like, the hallways of Eientei seem to stretch into infinity, an endless path with no destination and no exit. With a little help of her lunatic powers, it would be an impenetrable fortress, causing anyone inside to become lost in an endless labyrinth. It was just that one incident with the Shrine Maiden a couple of years back where she remembered to seal every door in the mansion except for Princess Kaguya. The moon-rabbit shuddered. Master Eirin still gave her hell for blunder at every opportunity.

As she reminisced about her previous slip-ups, a thought suddenly clicked in Reisen's brain. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to carry the potion on her? She could just mix in the Amanita mushroom cap in the Forest of Magic, instead of sprinting all the way back to the Bamboo Forest. Mentally repriminding herself for not realizing it sooner, she quickly backpedaled to her room and pulled the potion out from under her bed. Ditching the old thatched basket she had picked up earlier, Reisen gently placed the bottle into a small knapsack. There was always the risk of the bottle breaking, so she would just have to be extra careful. Taking care to weave her way through the numerous bunnies in the hall, she managed to leave the mansion without anyone noticing.

It was a bright and beautiful day in the Bamboo Forest. Her eyes watered up, caught off guard by the sharp contrast between the sunny forest and her dark room. As she rubbed her eyes with the sleeve of her shirt, she caught sight of an unfamiliar figure bent over in the distance. In spite of the rush, her curiosity got the better of her, and she moved closer to take a better look. Reisen gasped.

It was that commoner that always fought with the Princess, Fujiwara no Mokou! Was she here to deliver a sneak attack on the Princess? Her right hand subconsciously curled into the shape of her trademark gun-shape. If that were the case, Reisen had to stop her, or at the very least, confront her. She swallowed nervously. The violent nature of the fights between Mokou and Kaguya surfaced clearly in her mind, and she was quite confident that she didn't stand a chance against the silver-haired immortal.

Still, it was her duty to protect both the mansion and its inhabitants, regardless of how strong her opponents were. Rubbing her eyelids softly with her left hand, her eyes coloured into a scarlet hue. Reisen began to approach Mokou, her right hand ready to fire a bullet of pure chaos at the first sign of resistance.

"Fujiwara no Mokou! What purpose do you have for being here?"
Image
User avatar
Reisen Udongein Inaba
Main Character
 

Re: [Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Postby Fujiwara no Mokou » 07 Aug 2009 02:35

The rope refused to relinquish it’s tangle around the rabbit’s leg. Mokou let out a sigh and wiped some of the sweat from her brow with a sleeve as she tried to figure out what she could do. The easiest answer would be to burn it off… but could she do it safely? She didn’t have much of a choice at this point, her desire to flee from Eientei before any trouble could brew was strong and the twisted ropes were impossibly entwined.

“Gonna burn it,” she muttered to the rabbit as she pulled the part of the rope around her leg as far from the rabbit’s flesh as she could. “Squirm and you’ll burn too.” Mokou had no desire to hurt the trapped girl but sometimes a threat could be the easiest way to get your point across. She closed two fingers around the separated rope, the tips of her digits glowing blue with incredibly hot flame as she slowly pinched through the length of the rope. It was nerve wracking work, keeping the heat stead as well as safely away from the rabbit’s leg.

Droplets of sweat were forming along Mokou’s brow as she finished the last of the cut, leaving the earth rabbit free to scurry away and out of sight. At least it went smoothly! She pulled her handkerchief from her pocket and wiped away the sweat from her face and neck that formed during the stressful moments when who else but the lunar rabbit showed up.

The suspendered girl stared at Reisen for a moment before cupping her palm over her face and swearing under her breath. Great, just great. Any second that rabbit would go running for the princess, the easiest way to prevent it would be to knock the girl out and escape. She had a feeling if she just fled Kaguya would be out searching for her in no time so that wasn’t an option… A flash of fire crossed Mokou’s eyes as she turned to face the lunar rabbit, she was ready to lunge and hopefully land a swift kick or knock to the girl’s head but something stopped her.

She had no ill will towards the other denizens of Eientei, and perhaps it was her time at the Scarlet Devil Mansion that influenced her decision but instead of knocking the rabbit out and running she decided to try talking.

“Yo,” she held her hands up about chest-high to show she meant no harm. It seemed fitting with Reisen’s gun-like hand position. “Just leadin’ one of the rabbits back, ‘nother was caught in this rope here-“ she moved to gesture towards the rope and only managed to make a strangled noise of surprise.

The rope was still burning, and had just spread into a pile of dry leaves from the bamboo. Mokou quickly moved to start trying to stomp it out with a booted foot. Oh, this was bad.
Image

http://i.imgur.com/1Azms.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/79Z2EEk.png

Rinranrunning 1d100 for the amount of tsundere Fuji has for Kaguya.
Sakuya_Izayoi Rinranrunning rolled 1 100-sided dice. < 100 > Total: 100 (100).
User avatar
Fujiwara no Mokou
Forum/IRC Moderator
 

Re: [Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Postby Reisen Udongein Inaba » 07 Aug 2009 03:32

What a dirty trick! Raising one's hands in surrender while secretly lighting the forest on fire. Reisen scowled in anger, her arm still raised in an attack position. Any bit of nervousness she had felt earlier had disintigrated the instant she Mokou light the rope on fire. Had the immortal no shame?

Although she really had no idea why Mokou was desperately trying to put out her own fire, Reisen was pretty confident it was all part of some elaborate scheme to lull her into a false sense of security. Any minute now Mokou would turn around with an evil grin on her face, light her on fire, and blast Eientei into a pile of smoldering ashes.

...Any minute now.

Sweat beaded down her face as she started to feel the heat of the flames. It was strange how Mokou seemed incredibly earnest in her efforts to extinguish the blaze. Perhaps she had misjudged the situation. After another moment of hesitation, Reisen lowered her arm and ran over to help Mokou contain the fire. Unlike the silver-haired girl, however, Udonge really had no experience dealing with fires, and only managed to clumsily imitate Mokou's motions.

After a couple minutes, it was clear that the rabbit's efforts were not helping to the rapidly growing fire. At times like these, Reisen cursed her powers. What good was it to control lunacy and illusions when she was no match for even a small fire? If only she had some water...

Reisen suddenly remembered about the potion in her backpack. The main ingredient of the mixture was water, but it also had an assortment of other ingredients. Such a volatile concoction could potentially put out the fire, or amplify it a thousand times over. Her throat dried up at the prospect of being responsible for lighting the entire forest ablaze. Vigour renewed, Reisen madly continued to stomp at the blaze.
Image
User avatar
Reisen Udongein Inaba
Main Character
 

Re: [Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Postby Fujiwara no Mokou » 07 Aug 2009 03:47

The immortal girl would have been concerned about Reisen’s apparent disregard for the fire but she was too busy flailing wildly at it to even question the rabbit’s hesitation in helping.

Mokou’s stomping action was really going nowhere fast, other then make her look rather silly as her white hair thrashed as she stomped, jumped and frantically tried to contain it. Even while she stomped she was exercising her power to try and encourage the flames away from anything else they could ignite but the fire was fairly well out of her control with the large amounts of fuel just waiting to be consumed.

Finally the moon rabbit did join in with Mokou’s attempt to extinguish it, but even their combined powers of stomping were proving to be futile. Luckily the immortal still had one trick up her sleeve.

While still continuing her flailing, jumping dance of fire stomping she quickly rolled up the sleeves of her discolored dress shirt so they would be well out of the way. The next thing was to move any potential casualties… She turned to Reisen and shoved the rabbit girl out of the way with all her might. The immortal girl could apologize later, but for now drastic measures must be made.

She reached into the fire and quickly pushed all of the fuel into a single pile and encouraging it away from the readily available dry leaves and grass that were as of yet untouched. Once it was gathered she snuffed out the remains of any sparks lingering in the fire line she was now forging. Perfect!

The fire was separated, and now it was a matter of getting it under control. Luckily the torched grass and leaves provided an excellent natural barrier once she gathered the materials together but… There was still a lot of ignited debris. The frantic phoenix turned to Reisen, “Water, now!” Hopefully the girl could be as fast as a rabbit if the situation required it, the fire was contained to some degree but there was no guarantee it would remain that way.
Image

http://i.imgur.com/1Azms.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/79Z2EEk.png

Rinranrunning 1d100 for the amount of tsundere Fuji has for Kaguya.
Sakuya_Izayoi Rinranrunning rolled 1 100-sided dice. < 100 > Total: 100 (100).
User avatar
Fujiwara no Mokou
Forum/IRC Moderator
 

Re: [Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Postby Hong Meiling » 07 Aug 2009 04:07

"Mokou... Mooookou!" Meiling's voice called out among the tall strands, bamboo bending this way and that as the Scarlet Devil Mansion's gate guard came crashing through into the clearing. "Oh, hey there Mokou, hey, get this, Mistress Remilia actually gave me a day off? Isn't that wild; I guess there really is something to this whole new beginnings thing, eh? Anyway, I stopped by the human village to pick up some five spice powder, and I was wondering if you'd be interested in trying that bamboo shoot recipe I found in one of PatcHOLY CRAP!" she said, the packet of spice plopping to the ground as she saw first hand the blaze. "What that... how the... Fire!" she yelled, somewhat uselessly, pointing at the conflagration.
User avatar
Hong Meiling
Main Character
 

Re: [Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Postby Reisen Udongein Inaba » 07 Aug 2009 04:36

The shove caught Reisen completely off guard. She was so focused on putting out the blasted fire that she didn't even realize she had been pushed aside until her face was full of dry soil.

Coughing the dirt out of her mouth, Reisen felt incredibly tempted to shoot the immortal in the back of the head, or at the very least, give her a good shove into the fire. Common sense won out, however, and putting out the fire really was the first priority here. If she still had the nerve afterwards, she would demand an explanation from Mokou. Reisen prepared herself to jump back into a wild frenzy of foot-stomping when she realized the raging blaze that threatened to devour the entire forest had abruptly been reduced a small scattering of miniature fires. Reisen blinked. Had she accidentally manipulated her own vision with lunacy? Is that even possible?

Suddenly, Mokou turned her head and yelled for water. Accustomed to following orders, Reisen jumped at the command. She was about to run back into the mansion and ask her Master for help, but she stopped herself. Wasn't it about time she grew up? How could she become a better pharmacist, or even a better Youkai if she was constantly at her master's heels. No, she would figure this out herself without the help of anyone at Eientei.

Digging into her knapsack, she pulled out the pinnacle of her sweat and blood, the crimson potion. If this thing really had fire-extinguishing properties, the fire could be dealt with before it began to spread again. Walking back up to Mokou and the remnants of the fire, she swallowed the painfulness of losing hours and hours of work and mentally prepared herself. She had spent weeks preparing the other ingredients, but she wasn't about to sacrifice the safety of Eientei for a selfish, personal project. About to splash the contents of the potion onto the fire, Reisen suddenly remembered a tidbit she had read out of one of Master Eirin's many medical journals.

Potions, especially potions that have unknown properties, must never be disturbed. A shaking motion or a sudden movement could cause unexpected chemical reactions that may result in severe injury or death. The more inherently 'magical' the potion is, the greater chance that such a reaction can cause an explosion.

Reisen visibly paled and withdrew her hand. What if the potion had blown up when she was pushed over? She suddenly regretted her decision to bring the potion with her. With such exotic ingredients, the chances of it causing an explosion were pretty high. Taking a closer look at the potion, then at the slowly-regenerating fire, she realized that a decision would have to be made soon. Maybe if it was poured very gently, nothing bad would happen, Reisen reasoned with herself. Praying that this idea wouldn't literally blow up in her face, she slowly uncorked the bottle and prepared to slowly extinguish the flame.

That is, until a surprised shriek from a certain gate-guard nearby caused her fingers to slip, causing the potion to shatter violently on top of the fire.
Image
User avatar
Reisen Udongein Inaba
Main Character
 

Re: [Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Postby Fujiwara no Mokou » 07 Aug 2009 05:04

A sheen of sweat was coating most of Mokou’s body by now, this was hard work and it was also one of the few times she couldn’t help but mentally chastise herself. Why in the hell did I choose fire?! She had her reasons however and the thought was fleeting. The fire was mostly contained so that helped to keep her from beating herself up too badly.

She was in the process of forming another small pile of debris, her arms swimming among the flames when the voice of the excitable gate guard reached her ears – wait, what? Meiling? The suspendered girl looked up in disbelief, spotting the location the voice was coming from as the girl appeared from between the stalks of bamboo, apparently excited about something. The roar of the licking flames so close to Mokou’s face made it difficult for her to understand.

It was fairly rare anyone sought the immortal girl out, and Mokou desperately wished she had the time to marvel in it but she really didn’t. She was elbow deep in flames, and even though the fire was slowly burning itself out (her control to try and keep it from spreading did help with that) she was afraid what might happen if she looked away. She did begin to yell out towards the gate guard instead, “Help put this damn thin-“

A shattering of glass and a spray of red liquid spreading over the flames distracted her from finishing her sentence. What kind of water was that? What the-

WHUMP

A resounding explosion echoed in the clearing, Mokou who was in the thick of the flames was shot backwards and she landed roughly on her ass about four feet away and sat up in time to see the results.

Snow.

What were essentially waves of snow were erupting from where the fire once was, a ridiculous amount of it that even after ten seconds seemed to show no sign of stopping and was instead preparing to flood the nearby area. Mokou attempted to jump to her feet and lunge away from the incoming waves of snow but it was too late, she was quickly swept back down to the ground with a strange yelp. She tried to swim above it, hoping the rabbit would be all right. Meiling was the furthest away and hopefully she could make a run for it before the snow got her! “Meiling, run!” The fiery girl barely managed to yell before the snow flooded over her fallen figure.

What the hell kind of liquid was that?
Image

http://i.imgur.com/1Azms.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/79Z2EEk.png

Rinranrunning 1d100 for the amount of tsundere Fuji has for Kaguya.
Sakuya_Izayoi Rinranrunning rolled 1 100-sided dice. < 100 > Total: 100 (100).
User avatar
Fujiwara no Mokou
Forum/IRC Moderator
 

Re: [Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Postby Hong Meiling » 07 Aug 2009 05:29

"MOKOU!" Meiling screamed as she saw as the wave of snow became the phoenix girl's funeral shroud. Damn it, what do I do? I don't have fancy powers like any one else, all I can do is... ah! With a sudden intake of air, she braced herself as the wave came pouring in, finding her center and concentrating on it. She could feel strength and focus coursing through her body, and when she looked back at the cascade of snow headed straight for her, it wasn't the usual look of childish optimism she normally possessed, but rather one of steadfast determination. She was a fighter... and that white mammoth was her next opponent. "Soooo..." she began, drawing back a clenched fist which glowed with a rainbow aura, before thrusting it forward to impact with the heart of the unliving beast, exploding with a shower of light.

"HA!"

The resultant spray of snow blinded her and anyone else who was looking in a wash of white.
User avatar
Hong Meiling
Main Character
 

Re: [Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Postby Reisen Udongein Inaba » 07 Aug 2009 05:48

Anything Reisen was about to say was completely muffled by an explosion of fire. She flew backwards flew the air, screaming her lungs out as she landed butt-first into a pile of...snow? Picking herself off the ground for the second time in just as many minutes, she gaped in shock at the sight: an honest-to-God volcano of snow coming out of the place she dropped her potion. The potion was a magical, sure, but it was practically medicine! It was supposed to cure early morning allergies for bunnies, a common affliction among the members of Eientei. Reisen shook her head quickly. She really didn't have time to think about the chemical schematics of all this.

As she collected her thoughts, a wave of frozen snow surged powerfully towards her, uprooting the bamboo as if they were toothpicks. Reisen barely managed to run before she was caught up in the freak avalanche. Struggling frantically to keep her upper body above the snow, she saw Eientei loom larger and larger over her head. At this angle, the wave was taking her directly towards the mansion.

The wave of snow slammed into the wall that made up the perimeter of Eientei. Luckily, the wave had already reached such a height that the very top of the wave surpassed the height of the wall, dumping Reisen into the garden of the mansion. Sputtering and shivering with the drastic drop in temperature, Reisen barely managed to make her way to the door of the mansion before dragging herself inside.

"Master Eirin! Master Eirin!" Reisen yelled desperately, wheezing with the exertion. She didn't care about Master Eirin finding out that she was experimenting with potions on her own, or that she had communicated with the sworn enemy of the Princess without telling anyone, or even about the punishment and possible expulsion from Eientei when Master finds out the whole thing was her fault. Reisen desire to protect everyone in the mansion eclipsed all of these other worries. A small bunny girl, confused by all the commotion, looked up at the taller rabbit quizzically.

"Have you seen Master Eirin or Princess Kaguya anywhere?" The bunny shook her head. "What about Tewi? Are any of them still in the mansion?" Another shake of the head. Reisen groaned. At least they were safe and sound for the time being. She wasn't sure where everyone disappeared to, but at this point, she really couldn't care less. She tightened her jaw and slammed the main doors shut, using all of the strength left in her to keep them that way. It was time to clean up her own mess.

"Tell all the other rabbits to barricade all the windows and the doors! Don't let any of the snow get into the mansion!" Reisen barked. The rabbit tilted her head up at her, as if to say snow? Isn't it the middle of summer?

"That is an order!" Reisen practically screamed at her. The bunny hopped off in fright, leaving Reisen alone and waiting for another wave of snow to hit the mansion.
Image
User avatar
Reisen Udongein Inaba
Main Character
 

Re: [Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Postby Fujiwara no Mokou » 07 Aug 2009 12:52

In a stroke of luck, Mokou was saved from her premature burial at the hands of the increasing level of snow thanks to the normally hapless gate guard’s explosion of light.

The snow was clear from Mokou in a second, though in just a few more she would have been buried again. She wasted no time once the snow was clear to shoot up into the air, while her flight normally served as a bit of a flashy skill, this time it actually saved her from being trapped beneath the next wave of the endless snow drift.

While she was safe, her saviour was still in the path of danger. The suspendered girl quickly landed in front of the red-headed girl, whipping an arm before her and igniting a wall of roaring flame between the encroaching snow and their position. The barrier wouldn’t last long; the melting of the snow would eventually extinguish that fire completely. They had to move, and quick.

She had no time to ask for permission; instead Mokou turned to Meiling and grabbed her around the waist, pulling her up into the air along with her. While she was aware the gate guard was able to fly on her own without trouble, Mokou was panicking and did not want to leave anything open to chance. Unfortunately she overestimated her strength, while Meiling was a little taller then Mokou, she was also surprisingly heavier then she looked. Their flight was knocked awry for a moment, almost careening into a nearby patch of bamboo but the immortal was able to adjust well enough to at least get them to her ultimate goal.

Mokou’s face reddened considerably as she soon realized where Meiling apparently hid the extra weight after she took a glance downwards to check the status of the snow. While she was able to check expanding area of white below, she also realized that Meiling was particularly gifted in certain… assets. Wait, why the hell was she even worrying about that when they still had the problem of the avalanche threatening Eientei?

She managed to banish such thoughts from her mind for the moment, vaguely wondering how they even got there to begin with and continued her quick flight to the roof of the Eientei mansion. There was a thud as her booted feet landed hard on the tiled roof, she almost lost her balance but managed to stay upright. Mokou deposited Meiling next to her then turned, her feet flying over the ceramic tiles as she ran to the edge of the roof.

“Gonna’ slow it down, watch out!” She called out to Reisen who was still a short distance away, luckily it seemed she was making sure the residents of the home were preparing for the worst. She also seemed to be well out of harm’s way… Now, to get rid of the snow! Mokou turned around and shouted over to Meiling, “We gotta’ melt it! C’mon!”

She motioned for the gate guard to follow before turning and hopping off the side of the building, swooping through the air to where the snow was flooding over the walls of the gate surrounding Eientei. Mokou wasted no time, launching fountains of flame at the encroaching snow, melting it before any more could pass the gate and into the inner courtyard of the mansion. Anything she could do to buy time for a solution to be found! Her tactic wouldn't work forever though, sheer volume of the snow was enough to keep her from melting much at a time. She was merely scraping the surface as she struggled to keep up with the catastrophic flow.

[Sorry if the post is kind of lackluster, had to rewrite it twice... once due to losing it to a ninja Windows update, once to losing it to my own inability to copy and paste properly at 4am while plagued with insomnia. The multiple rewritings have killed it (and me... sob T__T)]
Image

http://i.imgur.com/1Azms.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/79Z2EEk.png

Rinranrunning 1d100 for the amount of tsundere Fuji has for Kaguya.
Sakuya_Izayoi Rinranrunning rolled 1 100-sided dice. < 100 > Total: 100 (100).
User avatar
Fujiwara no Mokou
Forum/IRC Moderator
 

Re: [Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Postby Alice Margatroid » 07 Aug 2009 18:54

"Damn it, why can't I sleep?" Alice thought to herself as she trekked through the bamboo on the way to Eientei. She had a rough night, and had not slept much. Her dreams had been fevered and disjointed. "This research is going to kill me, but I have to keep going at it!" she said aloud to herself as she tromped through the thicket. She really enjoyed working with dolls, but without any progress for a few weeks, she was starting to get jumpy. Stress was building up and she was starting to be unable to sleep soundly.

That was the reason for Alice's Eientei-bound travels. Eirin's sleeping medicine, the Butterfly Dream, was what she needed to get a night's rest. She continued on in a fatigued trance, stumbling over roots now and then. Waiting patiently for the massive mansion to come into view. However, as she neared the spot, she was awoken by a loud explosion and subsequent shouting.

Stepping into the clearing where the mansion should be, Alice saw instead a mound of snow overflowing from outside the gate, and the mansion itself in danger of being swallowed up by the drifts. Her head cleared instantly, this was a time for quick action, not for being in a tired stupor. "Shanghai, go back and get the others! Hourai, you're with me!" She needn't have yelled the orders, as the dolls were controlled by her hands anyway, but it made her feel better about the state of her research to talk to them as if they could hear.

Alice leaped into the air and landed in the mansion's grounds, looking around quickly to see who was in charge of this mess. She was suprised to see Mokou, and... Hong Meiling? Oh well, the odd pair on top of the gate was trying desperately to keep the snow out, and in this kind of situation, Alice was none too picky about where help came from, so long as it was forthcoming. If the mansion went down, so would the entire supply of Butterfly Dream, and it might take weeks for Eirin to make more. Alice was not prepared to wait that long for the elixir. Eientei must be saved!

However, she had only two options to contain something this big. Contain the snow with an army of dolls, or blast it away with the Grimoire. She always carried the grimoire, so the option to use it was immediately available, but the potential for collateral damage was very high. Even the grimoire's master could not fully contain or control its magic, it was more like pointing a volcano at something and hoping for the best. She consigned using this option to a last resort.

However, the doll army was still in the forest of magic, and Alice wasn't sure if it would arrive in time. She also might not have the skill to pilot Shanghai all the way back, get her to grab all the other dolls, and bring them back. But she had to give it a shot. For the least chance of the control threads getting caught in trees, she decided to send Shanghai out high over the canopy. It would risk attracting attention from malicious forest faeries, but it gave the best chance of success.

"Now, what can I do here with one doll?" Alice mused to herself... A flash of inspiration hit, and she launched into the air. "Ready, Hourai?" she said softly to the red-dressed doll. The doll nodded its head as Alice twitched her finger. "Then let's go! Hourai Sign: Fan Doll!" hourai proceeded, under a flurry of quick motions from Alice, to take out her razor and spin. This was going to be a delicate balancing act. Alice knew that the faster she spun the doll, the greater the fan's effect. However, even Alice's dolls have limitations, and the forces exerted on the doll by the spinning blade threatened to destroy Hourai's delicate joints if the spin was too quick.

Alice proceeded to point the spinning doll fan at whatever points on the wall looked most likely to be overwhelmed by snow. She smiled as the snow flew away from the parapets. However, this was not a permanent solution, and she hoped this would be enough until the rest of the army arrived to help...
User avatar
Alice Margatroid
Main Character
 

Re: [Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Postby Hong Meiling » 07 Aug 2009 19:43

"Gu-oof!" were the sounds out of Meiling's mouth as the two of them made an emergency landing on the roof of the mansion of eternity. "Geez Mokou," she said with a teasing smile, even as she was genuinely glad the phoenix girl was safe, "if I'd have known you were just going to fly out of it, then I'd have let-"

Her words were cut off as the bamboo cutter shouted her order. "R-right! I'm on it!" With measured leaps she crossed to the other side of the mansion's roof, bracing herself for the task ahead. She leapt high into the air with a single somersault, rocketing downward with her foot outstretched in a picture perfect flying kick into the snow, her lungs screaming a battle cry as she zipped through the snow like an arrow through paper. Her attack itself had little effect on the rapidly accumulating precipitation... but this time it wasn't the snow she was aiming for, but the ground beneath. Her foot struck the earth with a velocity normally reserved for objects shot into the sky at celebrations, creating a shockwave which blew the snow surrounding her point of impact far into the air in a shower of sparkles.

She wasted no time in bringing her leg straight up, preparing to create another artificial earthquake as quickly as possible; she lacked the ability to get rid of the snow like her compatriot, and would have to rely on her efforts leveling the snow out amongst the surrounding scenery enough such that it could be dealt with practically. "Aaaa-JAAAAOOO!!!" she wailed in zeal, bringing her foot down with an ear-shattering rumble and another spray of snow went everywhere. How you like that, young mistress, eh? You're not the only one who can shake a mansion.
User avatar
Hong Meiling
Main Character
 

Re: [Open] The Budding Pharmacist

Postby Fujiwara no Mokou » 08 Aug 2009 02:21

Seemed Reisen had something up her sleeve as she vanished from the fray. All Mokou could do was wish the moon rabbit luck, but something not unlike a calvary had arrived!

A relieved grin crossed Mokou’s face as she caught site of Alice entering the clearing and wasting no time in using her peculiar form of magic to begin dealing and staunching the surging waves of precipitation.

“Thank you,” she called out to Alice though her words were quickly drowned out as Meiling joined the fray, and in such a style! Even her unique yell was enough to cause an impact! Mokou swerved through the air to avoid the waves of snow she managed to displace with her mighty attack, thinning out areas along with Alice that would help to deal with a lot of this mess. The thick stuff made the fiery girl practically useless, but now with some areas of the snow thinned out through the power of Alice and Meiling, she could actually make some difference.

She moved down to where Meiling and Alice were working, a broad grin on her face as now two fountains of flame shot from her hands, torching and melting the thinned areas of snow around the two.

With all of their powers combined there was a distinct chance they could even contain the snow completely until a solution was found. Well, that was if they didn’t wear out completely in the mean time and there was no telling how far the girls’ stamina would go. Such amazing powers like Alice’s control of dolls, and Meiling’s use of her body as a channeling for immense effects were something many Gensokyo residents shared, but that didn’t mean they can keep it up forever.

Still, to find the two of them in the bamboo forest today was some of the best luck Mokou had seen in awhile. They had to keep working, and to facilitate in her own abilities fire erupted from her back, sheets of flames surging out to form her pair of phoenix-like wings. Within seconds once the fire had finished twisting into the wing-like forms a barrage of fiery danmaku was aimed at the snow. It helped some, but it really did seem like ice in this amount could trump the phoenix girl’s power pretty easily. Mokou couldn’t help but swear under her breath, this was embarrassing! Fire user who couldn’t make much of an impact when dealing with ice.

“Alice, Meiling-“ she called down to the two girls as sweat was already beginning to drip down her brow from the effort. “Any ideas?” She turned her head to address Alice in particular. “It was caused by some kinn’a red liquid, like a potion. Got anyways to slow it?”

[Reisen is going to be busy it seems, so we can continue regardless :D Yay Alice.]
Image

http://i.imgur.com/1Azms.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/79Z2EEk.png

Rinranrunning 1d100 for the amount of tsundere Fuji has for Kaguya.
Sakuya_Izayoi Rinranrunning rolled 1 100-sided dice. < 100 > Total: 100 (100).
User avatar
Fujiwara no Mokou
Forum/IRC Moderator
 

Next

Return to Archive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron