[Open]New face in the town

Archive for threads set in the Bamboo Forest of the Lost.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Open]New face in the town

Postby Byakuren Hijiri » 27 Aug 2009 15:02

It's barely past midday. The people in the human village go about their bussiness as usual, trading, weaving, chatting, and otherwise enjoying a peaceful day. Or they were, up to a moment ago, when something more interesting than the daily grind just attracted the gazes of the lazier among the inhabitants.

Indeed, through the streets of the town there is a woman who nobody's seen before, walking with a brisk, decisive pace. Even in the best of circumstances, Byakuren, a hugely tall woman with an imposing physique, a peculiar fashion sense, and an... unusual hair wouldn't pass unnoticed, but her demeanor calls even more attention to her. Always polite, and always smiling a motherly smile that disarms the suspicions of the villagers, but she seems to be looking for something.

In the end, she sighs visibly, and approaches a little kid, maybe ten years in age, crouching to get to his height, and smiling disarmingly while the kid looks at her half-scared from his viewpoint behind the bush he's taken refuge behind.

"Do not worry, little one. I am but a peaceful magician, and only want to ask for your help. I am searching for the history teacher, yet I am afraid I do not know where she lives. Perhaps you, who seem to be a knowledgeable one, could be so kind as to guide me?"

The kid gets out from behind his bush, while the people around murmur. But Byakuren pays them no mind. She has always found it easier to deal with children, honest and direct that they are. He nods, obviously proud to have been called "knowledgeable" by this obviously powerful magician woman, and gestures at her while starting to talk uninhibitedly to the magician about a lot of hings in his child life - frogs, mysteries, and such other things. Byakuren follows him, giving him polite conversation and evidently amused by the little one.
You don't need a reason to help people. You're reason enough.
Byakuren Hijiri
Main Character

Re: [Open]New face in the town

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 27 Aug 2009 22:33

--

At times Keine wondered why she was at the human village, half-slaving herself to the villagers in teaching and educating the children and then at the next second, she would slap herself in annoyance, knowing that was the answer as well.

Such.. is.... life I guess...

Spending most of her life in the village and other precious moments out in the wild, figuratively speaking with Mokou has taught her that... life outside the village is much more exciting and... although filled with danger, much more like life than this dreary merry-go-round existence in the village.

Still, she couldn't complain... she had a nice home, a moderate living and... best of all, comfort for those lonely nights... the children of the village were absolute darlings... and demons...

Keine shuddered before smiling at their antics while marking their scripts.

It is going to be a long day, she hated marking their history homework even though she taught them History, it does not mean that they would apply them to their work.

"Argh... No No... that is not the famous saying at all!! Yumi-chan... there is no saying like if the Frog Croaks, the Rain will Fall soon after... what am I going to do with all of you..."

Groaning and running a finger through her hair, Keine took a deep breath and pushed herself from the desk, ready for a drink to sooth her nerves.

"... Tea, I need some tea... or some anti-depressants..."

It really was sad, Keine emphasizes on history and yet the children blatantly refuse to apply it... sure, it has no relevance to the world they are living in, sure it would likely not apply in their lives in their lifetime, sure some of them is oudated teachings...

"Oh.... ..... I'm just making it worst... aren't I?"
Cupping her hands over her head, Keine took a deep deep breath and slapped herself on the cheeks, trying to regain some of her confidence.

"Right... as they all say, if one never heeds the elder's warning... disaster is surely imminent..."

Whistling, Keine went to boil some water, blissfully unaware of the stranger coming to visit her.

--
[Gah, if you had posted this thread.. half an hour earlier i'd have responded earlier]
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 28 Aug 2009 00:08

The village would have more strange visitors, today. Though Utsuho was less elegant, she was no less attention-getting. She strode into town with a haughty sense of purpose, as if she already owned the place. Which, perhaps, wasn't far from the truth as she saw it. Her bearing probably wasn't as strange as her appearance, though. Black wings, a cloak lined with the vastness of space, one foot encased in concrete, staring red eye in the middle of her chest, and the control rod on one arm added up to an obviously inhuman appearance for the youkai. That this was the first time she had ventured to the surface probably helped to surprise any onlookers, who by now were very wary of anyone wandering into town. Some were probably wondering if today would have been a good day to stay home.

So, this was what a human village was like? It was much smaller than the city underground. Also, it was much brighter on the surface. Utsuho hadn't quite adjusted to the sun overhead yet, and kept having to squint to see anything. Maybe the surface wasn't worth the effort after all? No. After coming all this way, she would be a fool to stop. When she neared the center of town, Utsuho stopped and struck a dramatic pose, one hand raised toward the heavens. "Hey!" she shouted at anyone within earshot. "I'm looking for some really strong humans. Anyone know any?" This was the most direct method she could think of for finding the witch and miko she'd encountered before. They were both human, so other humans should know them. "Well? Anyone? I fought them before, and I want to meet them again."

For the time being, nobody approached the hell raven.

"What? Doesn't anyone know where I can find them? Am I going to have to just burn this place down and see if I'll get someone's attention that way?" Utsuho continued to shout, moving on to an outright challenge. At this point, people were running away from her. "Hey! Why are you all running away?"
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 28 Aug 2009 00:25

"Ahh, all right, thanks!" Meiling had purchased another allotment of five spice powder from the same shopkeeper she'd bought from before. "I'll be sure to let all my friends know about you!" As she walked out the front door of the store, she was lost in a brief bit of thought. Boy, that guy got really nervous all the sudden, I wonder what that was all about... huh? As she looked up and down the street, people had flat stopped walking to gawk and stare at something. "Eh? Hey shopkeep, there some performance going on-"

Unfortunately, in the time it had taken her to turn around, the previously open for buisness building had been barred and shuttered. ... the heck is going on? she thought, now a tad bit out of sorts. "Geez, you'd think they'd announce something if somebody suddenly put on a show," Meiling grumbled as she slipped the spice packet into her vest. Hope this one lasts longer than it's older sibling. She began to make her way down the dirt road towards where everybody was looking, having to actually stand on her tiptoes to look over a perfunctory line of onlookers which had formed. "Hey, what the heck is going on all ready, AIYAYA!" she cried suddenly in surprise as every last person in the town ran to vacate the premises.

Standing in a dust cloud, more than one foot print now visible on her dress, she coughed and waved her hand to clear the air. "Would SOMEBODY please tell me what is going ON?" she shouted to no one in particular, her vision still screened by the haze of dust the fleeing humans had kicked up.
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Komachi Onozuka » 28 Aug 2009 01:24

Komachi was walking down the road towards the Human village, the tall red-headed goddess back in Gensokyo for another day of relaxation, and basically, slacking off as much as she could without her boss discovering. As she walked along the dirt road, a sudden crowd came rushing at her. She looked oddly at the crowd, overhearing cries of 'she's gunna kill us all!' and 'run! Hellspawn!'

Komachi raised up her scythe to avoid beheading any of the poor villagers as they frantically ran past. She paused for a minute, standing there with her scythe in the air, unaware that the sight of a rather imposing woman holding up a rather large and nasty-looking scythe would be just as much of a reason for humans to panic than a youkai from Hell. She could only comment, "That was uncalled for."

She continued toward the town in a rather blase' manner, spotting the black-haired girl with the cloak on her wings. Komachi simply walked past Utsuho, looking around at all the shops for a minute or two... With a sigh, she found them empty. She looked to Utsuho, waiving with a soft, almost tired smile, "Hey... Know when they're going to be back?"

From a distance, Komachi certainly looked human. She was tall, beautiful, but some of her aspects, such as her red eyes and large scythe make her seem dark and imposing. Would it be possible for Utsuho Reiuji, the keeper of the Flames of Hell, to have heard of Komachi Onozuka, the main shinigami of the Sanzu no Kawa??

"That's a nice-looking cape, by the way. Who are you?"

... Either way, it seemed as though the shinigami knew nothing of Utsuho.
Komachi Onozuka
Main Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 28 Aug 2009 01:40

"That's what I want to know," a voice answered from the other side of the cloud of dust. "Here I am just asking for directions, and everyone's running away. I don't know what's gotten them all upset. Hey...whoever you are, maybe you could give me an answer." So...maybe she was stretching the truth a little. Utsuho wasn't about to just ignore the first person who actually spoke up, even if she couldn't see them through all this dust. She blinked a few times as the dust settled.

She hadn't noticed Komachi at first, but turned to face her once she had been spoken to. "I'm not sure when they'll be back." She shrugs. "I'm Utsuho Reiuji. And, it is a nice cape, isn't it?" She flicks her wings and gives the cape a little flourish. "That's a nice, uh...scythe." She makes an attempt at returning the favor of a compliment. "You wouldn't know where I could find any strong humans, would you?" Well, at least she was persistent. "Oh, and...who are you? It's only right to introduce yourself, isn't it?"
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 28 Aug 2009 01:51

"Sure I suppose I could-whoah, you're tall!" Meiling announced as her vision cleared, putting her face to face with Utsuho, a rare thing for the well-built girl to be able to say. "And I'm Hong Meiling! Make sure you remember that name!" she said with a grin and a wagging index finger. "Anyway... directions? To what? This town's pretty small; it's not like there's a whole lot to get TO." The wooden... thing on the other girl's arm caught her attention at the moment, and she pointed down. "Hey, you need a hand getting that off?"

Komachi's approach made her turn, and- "WHOAH, you're tall too!" And built like a- She cut herself off before she finished the thought. "Oh, you one of the local farmers? Hey, you guys do a good job on your field; those buckwheat noodles I had the other day were good."
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Komachi Onozuka » 28 Aug 2009 01:57

Komachi smiled to the two happily. Finally! People to talk with!~ She set her scythe on the ground, and in a happy, cheerful voice, announced, "I am Onozuka, Komachi! I am the main Shinigami of the Sanzu no Kawa! It's a pleasure to meet you both!" She bowed to Okuu and Meiling in turn politely.

She turned to Okuu first, "As for all the humans I really know, they're all dead..." She paused a minute... "Unless you mean that miko girl... I haven't seen her in a while, though.... Hmm... Maybe that weird little librarian girl, too? Or was that the teacher?"

As she thought, she turned to Mei, "Ah! As I've already said, I'm not a farmer." She smiled cheerfully, seeming to enjoy the company almost far too much, "It's for protection and to use to push my boat around, when I'm on my job... Which is caught up, by the way!"
Komachi Onozuka
Main Character

Postby Byakuren Hijiri » 28 Aug 2009 06:34

Byakuren, on the other hand, had been heading to Keine's school, when she notices the waves of people running. She stops one, gently but firmly (as trying to escape from the powerful grip of the magician is all but impossible for most), and asks "Please, what would be the cause of this commotion?". The man she's bodily lifting, however, isn't really coherent enough to say much more than "run! Hellspawn! Let me go!" and try to punch her arm to no effect, so she leaves him on the ground and looks to her little guide, who by now is pretty nervous as well.

"I shall look into this. You should probably go as well. If there is any trouble, I am certain your family would appreciate having your support" she says as she turns towards the direction that the people are running from and starts walking quickly. The kid, all too happy to have an excuse to leave without looking like a coward, nods and runs away.

It doesn't take her more than a couple minutes to reach the square where the disturbance is, where "disturbance" is a synonym of "Utsuho". She approaches the strange group without a hint of fear - Byakuren is not scared of youkai. She looks at them intently, gauging them. The one with the scythe doesn't look agressive, nor does the one in green. Hence, chances are the people were running from the other one. She conducts herself like the kind of unknowing youkai that brings trouble on herself. She gives a polite half-bow, still smiling cheerfully and motherly.

"Greetings. Could I inquire as to the origin of this disturbance? I was heading towards a bussiness I had here and suddenly all the humans were making an escape while crying about Hellspawn"

Yes, Byakuren is rather direct, it seems. Or maybe she's just a bit annoyed that she has to delay meeting Keine.
Byakuren Hijiri
Main Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 28 Aug 2009 21:13

"What, this," Utsuho asked Meiling, while pointing to the "third leg" on her arm. "No, it's fine. It's a control rod, so I probably shouldn't take it off." She pauses for a moment. "It's nice to meet you, too. I won't forget your name. Well...I shouldn't anyway. I'm looking for strong humans. Like a miko."

Which brought her to Komachi. "Hey, do you think the miko you know is the same one I'm looking for? Do you know where she lives?" She was enthusiastic in the questioning. Any lead was better than nothing. Though she'd manage even if she had to just wander around more of Gensokyo. She intended to anyway.

She looks at Byakuren oddly for a moment, before greeting her. It was getting hard to follow all these conversations at once. "Oh, hello. Hellspawn? That's probably me. Well, I'm from the Hell of Blazing Fires, at least." She was quite direct as well. Probably because she didn't know any better. "I wasn't disturbing anyone. I just wanted to get some attention, so someone could show me around, and everyone started running away." She sounded quite annoyed at the state of affairs. Obviously, this isn't the way things should work at all. Of course, when one hardly knows how to deal with humans, one may need to learn a different approach. Though this time, she got what she wanted, so Utsuho wasn't too unhappy with the way things had turned out.
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Komachi Onozuka » 28 Aug 2009 21:32

Komachi adjusted her scythe so that it sat on both of her shoulders, her arms hanging lazily around the staff, "Oh, I thought they were talking about me being the hellspawn. Good to see that's cleared up." She smiled and waved at the newcomer politely.

And turned back to Okuu, "Hmm... What was her name....? Hakurei.... Hakurei something.... Haku.... Ah! Reimu. Do you mean Hakurei-san? I don't know where she lives, unfortunately... Last time I saw her was on Youkai Mountain." She pointed to the said mountain by tilting her head at the specified mountain. "Though... I'm not sure if that is her shrine that's up there. She was visiting another miko and a weird librarian girl... And someone else was there, but for the life of me, I can't remember her name."

She looked around happily at the gathering of people. She turned to Byakuren, "If Reiuji-kun thinks it was herself, then I don't really have any argument. I wasn't here when they freaked out. Do you have any idea of when they're coming back? I think I might need to head back soon, and I really wanted to get to know a few of this generation's villagers sometime."
Komachi Onozuka
Main Character

Postby Byakuren Hijiri » 28 Aug 2009 21:41

Byakuren speaks softly, in a teacher tone of voice. "I in fact believe they were scared of you. A powerful youkai entering the town is cause of alarm for humans. You should be cautious when trying to attract their attention, lest they take it for a threat instead". Utsuho's not the first too-powerful-for-their-own-good youkai Byakuren has met, and she already knows how to deal with them.

"In any case" she takes a half-step backwards and gives the three other people a bow - an actual one this time "it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. My name is Byakuren Hijiri. May the Buddha guide your steps today"

(Ninja'd by Komachi)

The magician looks at the reaper. "You probably mean Reimu Hakurei, the shrine maiden. Apparently her shrine is located somewhere in the proximity of the forest. I am afraid I cannot give you more proper directions, however. I arrived to Gensokyo very recently. In actuality, that is my reason to being here today as well" Byakuren doesn't lose her polite motherly demeanor, but there's something crystalline in her voice when she mentions Reimu - and I mean crystalline as in clear and sharp. She doesn't seem to like the miko much. "However, it surprises me that you would voluntarily seek her. She did not seem to enjoy the company of youkai".
Byakuren Hijiri
Main Character

Postby Hong Meiling » 28 Aug 2009 22:34

"Control rod? Does it let you control things? That's kind of cool," Meiling said, a bit of awe seeping into her voice. "So what, you just point it at people and they do what you want? Man, imagine the things I could do with something like that," she said, drifting into an idle daydream involving her laughing maniacally atop Youkai mountain while people did her bidding. Ugh, that's probably not the most healthiest thing to be dreaming about. Probably best she keeps that thing.

The hell raven's next question made her pause. "Woah, you're looking for Reimu? That's something different, usually she's the one who finds people and... uh, nevermind," she finished, remembering her last defeat at the hands of the shrine maiden. "Well anyway, she's usually at her shrine... unless she's visiting the competition, I guess," she changed her story with, as the shinigami spoke up. "Hey, wait, Patchy's with her? Now that's just weird, she NEVER goes outside!" The gate guard laughed. "She must be really desperate for new books or something. Anyway, yeah, Reimu's shrine's on the other side of the forest, I think," Meiling answered, pointing back out of town. "I don't exactly visit it a lot."

She then proceeded to pout a bit as Byakuren explained why people were running from Utsuho. They never run from ME... Her eyes flitted back and forth between the three other girls as each spoke about Reimu. "Geez, the red-white's really has been busy, huh?"
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Komachi Onozuka » 29 Aug 2009 02:28

Komachi looked to Mei with a soft smile, "Ah, you made me remember her name. Patchourin-kun!* I am not really sure why she was there with Hakurei-san... And... You called her Redwhite? That's a cute little name." She smiled and stretched, her arms getting tired of their position and she let her staff rest against the crook of her arm as she spoke, her forearm wrapping around the shaft fondly. "Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if Patchourin-kun is human. Seemed a bit... Off. Kind of like how you and Reiuji-san do."

She looked toward Byakyren, curiously... "So... You are from outside Gensokyo? That's... That's very strange..." It was understandable for Komachi to know that Humans came from outside Gensokyo, as well. She had never been to the outside world, but was well aware of it.

"... Hey... How'd you get here, anyway? Does the Sanzu have riverbanks I'm not aware of?" Her eyes darkened from their usually friendly and aloof status as a thought processed through her mind.... "You... You didn't ride my Titanic.... Did you? Without me knowing? There's a fee, you know."

... Whatever her 'Titanic' was, she was awful fond of it... And rather possessive...

*(Yes, she just said Patchy's name wrong.)
Komachi Onozuka
Main Character

Postby Byakuren Hijiri » 29 Aug 2009 07:06

Byakuren's smile widens. "I am afraid I am not aware of any vehicle named Titanic, nor had I seen you before this day. Do not worry, I am not a stowaway." Byakuren is curious. The aura of death around the woman is evident, yet she seems exceedingly friendly. This merits further investigation.

"And if I had to guess, the reason this Patchouli did not feel human to you is likely because she is not. There is a difference between a youkai and a human, especially at a base level, that can be easily felt by those perceptive. Even for those of us who began life as humans" she turns her head to Meiling. "I assume from your description that this Patchouli person is a scholar, and likely a magician, correct? Hence, she is probably much alike to myself" Byakuren makes a mental note to ask more as soon as possible. Right now, scholars are exactly who she should be visiting, to get up to speed on how Gensokyo works.
Byakuren Hijiri
Main Character

Next

Return to Archive