[Open] Starlight, Star Bright

Archive for threads set in the Gensokyo Plains.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Open] Starlight, Star Bright

Postby Hong Meiling » 08 Feb 2010 22:09

[[ I call this thread open, but I have conditions. This is supposed to be a thread for Meiling and Cirno to interact. If you want to join, please consider how many people are already participating. Also, please consider your characters demeanor and intentions. I want a small, warm, nice little thread for bonding and communication. So if your character is prone to starting up trouble, I would prefer that they not enter the scene. If you can meet those two criteria, feel free to join.]]

The sun was anchored on the horizon, just dipping below the skyline and casting a warm glow over the plains. At the very ends of the light, tiny dots of white began to pattern the sky. The earth was starting to chill without the sun’s warm rays, and the moon was beginning to peek her face out from her slumber.

Meiling hoisted her pack higher onto her back, rolling her shoulders to try to relieve the weight on them. She held a calm, serene expression on her face, even despite how far she was from the Scarlet Devil Mansion. Each step she made was followed by a heavy clinking sound; her pack was clearly filled with necessary tools in order to stay out for a night or two.

She was on a mission. A personal mission, for once. It was quite relaxing-- she had to admit-- not to have to worry about her usual responsibilities. While there was a small inkling of concern for her housemates, Meiling knew that she was probably the weakest of the entire group; they would be able to take care of themselves if anything happened.

And so, partly to find a bit of relaxation, and partly to remedy her lack of strength, the Gate Guard had set out on her mission.

But first, she wanted to see the stars.
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Re: [Open] Starlight, Star Bright

Postby Cirno » 09 Feb 2010 04:00

One foot in front of the other. One foot in front of the other.

Cirno tried to take in her surroundings as she ran. Where exactly was she? To be honest, she had been seen the sights of Gensokyo every now and then, but she was just pointlessly wandering most of the time. Both of those times she had been flying too, which made things a lot easier. So why wasn't she flying this time?

Because she was the strongest, that's why!

Okay, she was lost.

Why not just fly around until she figured out where she was? The truth was, after she had crashed into the ice back home, she must have hurt something major. She wasn't in pain, nothing like that, but for some reason, she had lost her ability to fly. Cirno had already admitted the reality of her situation to herself, but she'd be damned if any other living soul found out about it.

Cirno's face exploded beet red in both anger and humiliation. What kind of fairy couldn't fly? Everything stronger than one of those human village brats could fly, and losing that ability felt like she was losing a part of herself. Thinking about it too long would cause Cirno to face some very unpleasant truths about her own weaknesses, so Cirno had done the only thing she could. She had run away from it all. As long as she kept moving, she wouldn't have to stop and reflect, so she had run blindly for what seemed like hours. It wasn't easy though; freezing the lake had cost her a considerable amount of both energy and stamina, and Cirno was running on pure adrenaline.

She was exhausted, she was crying, and she didn't want to deal with reality. Feeling her leg muscles beginning to falter, Cirno gave herself one final push, closing her eyes and diving as far as she could. Even when utterly burnt out, Cirno still had the stubbornness of a bull.

"Ooph!" Cirno cried out in pain as she tackled a solid gate-guard-like object. The ice fairy was knocked on her back, lacking even the energy to look at whoever she bumped into. "Hey..." Cirno wheezed painfully. She wanted to lie down and never get up again. "Why don'tcha...watch where you're going..."
Cirno
Main Character

Postby Daiyousei » 09 Feb 2010 22:22

Keep....breathing....just....fly....after....her....

On what had seemed like a wild goose chase, Daiyousei had spent hours flying after the fleeing form of Cirno. She had lost sight of her a couple dozen times, but through either sheer luck or the ice fairy's own running in circles, she had always caught a glimpse of her. So, she kept pushing on as much as she could.

But, that wouldn't last much longer. Not with her foot in the state it was in.

When she had crashed on the lake and twisted it around, the ice had at least numbed the pain partially, enough that it was bearable. After flying for so long in the absence of ice, it had been throbbing with more and more intense waves of pain. Daiyousei had nearly passed out the last few throbs, the pain being so mind-numbing that it nearly shut her down. But, she always remained consciousness. She was doing her best to find her friend, her best friend, and she would not stop until she finally found her. Unfortunately, she had lost sight of Cirno once more after her vision had blanked from a wave of pain, so she was flying at random and hoping it was the right direction.

The sun was setting, and Daiyousei probably had no hope of finding Cirno in the dark. She had to find her quickly, before the sun went down and made it an impossible task. She had to find her before...before...before something found her first! She could only dread what would happen if the poor ice fairy were to run into some unfavorable youkai, so she needed to act fast-

"Huh...?" She must have been seeing things. That couldn't have been Cirno on the ground there, could it...? But there was no mistaking the ice fairy, so Daiyousei must have found her. Unfortunately, so had someone else, and Daiyousei was about to fly down at top speed to get the ice fairy out of there until she realized who had found her. "That's...that gatekeeper....oh good.....she's a nice person......" She had burned through the last of whatever she had been running on, the relief stealing all the energy from her body. She plummeted to the ground, consciousness slipping from her as she fell in what seemed like slow-motion.
Daiyousei
Free Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 12 Feb 2010 06:37

Normally, Kogasa would be beginning her nocturnal sweep of Gensokyo, looking for victims to surprise, but she just wasn't feeling it today.

She wanted to scare people. She wanted to hide behind bushes, feel the excitement that came before launching her assault, the thrill of making her getaway as danmaku chased after her in angry pursuit. But she just didn't feel like it. She just didn't want to do it today, and so, she decided she wouldn't.

Though it was true that Kogasa had been scaring every single night nonstop for at least the past couple of weeks, she had to admit, it got extremely tiresome after a while. Not tiresome in a boring sense, of course not, because for Kogasa, these excursions never got old. But she did have to admit that physically, she was drained. And for good reason; nocturnal shifts had forced her to adjust her sleeping pattern accordingly, and with noisy youkai running about messing things up and shooting things with danmaku, eight hours of good, solid REM sleep was just not possible.

Not to mention that after just about every scaring she was chased. And Kogasa did not always escape unscarred.

She had idly been sitting in the middle of a rather barren field. Despite the fact that she could finally, in a sense, “take some time off”, she had to say, she was actually pretty lonely. It was about sunset at this time, and for the first time Kogasa had experienced for herself the beauty of the sun's setting at the end of the day. She was always so busy, whether it was stalking people or running away from them, and this was the first time she was really able to enjoy the sunset.

Still, though, she was awfully lonely...

Even though it was mostly her eyes that were concentrated on the golden glory on the horizon, she was ignoring most of her other senses. So Kogasa did not notice the approaching ice fairy until there was a thumping noise, and then she became aware of the sobbing, the almost pained cries of... whoever it was behind her. Abandoning the sunset for the time being, she stood, turning behind her to see what all the ruckus was about.

Though the green-clad foreigner looked familiar to her, neither the blue-haired fairy nor the green-haired one that trailed after her rang any bells (which was acceptable; fairies were so energetic that they often rang the bells far harder than necessarily.) Mostly curious but also quite concerned, Kogasa had to ask, “What's wrong? Is there a problem? Wait, I don't even have to ask, do I...” Her eyes widened as she saw the green-haired fairy flop onto the ground, likely unconscious. Alarmed, she ran toward the girl, shaking her a bit, trying to wake her up, but with little success.

“W-what should I do!?” she asked, turning round toward to the gateguard and the ice fairy. She turned back to Daiyousei. “Aack! Wake up, damn you!” She shook harder, more vigorously now.
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Hong Meiling » 12 Feb 2010 06:52

Meiling had been completely taken off guard when he fairy collided with her side. When she realized just who it was who had crashed, her mind went through a wave of emotions from annoyance to guilt, followed finally by shame as she recalled the last time that she had met up with the tiny ice fairy.

“Hey--” Her voice was hesitant and quite compared to Meiling’s normal boisterous self, and her hand reached out tentatively to try to help the girl, before recoiling back. How was she supposed to react to this girl? Certainly, the last time that they had met had been under not-so-polite terms, but… The aftermath of that had wiped away all of Meiling’s annoyance with a pang of guilt at not being able to save the Fairy from her cruel Mistresses.

She squatted down, her hands resting on her bent knees, staring at the girl. Something obviously was up. This was not the fairy that had bolted through the mansion doors on a trick. Something had eaten at the girls spirit-- one look at the flow of her chi and it was clear to see that the girl had suffered quite a bit up until this point. Just what that was, however, was impossible for Meiling to tell. All she knew was that the girl was depleted and drained.

“Yea, sorry about that.” She reached her hand out again, for real this time, as she grabbed the girl’s sleeved shoulder in an effort to right her into a sitting position. “I’ll try to keep a better eye out.” Her other hand gripped the girl’s other shoulder, and Meiling held her up in a sitting position, rubbing lightly at the girl’s shoulders in an affectionate gesture.

“How about I treat you to dinner?” A small, playful grin had returned to the girl’s face. Playing into what Cirno said usually brought the girl right back to her old self. “As a way to make it up to you?”

A twinge of a feeling, and Meiling’s eyes looked up towards the sky. She had thought that she had felt another small ebb of chi energy… But… Her eyes scanned over the skyline, but she couldn’t feel the energy again; it was as if she had felt some kind of false alarm. Or… Meiling felt a much stronger flow of energy coming towards them, and her blue eyes looked up to find an umbrella (With a girl!) coming in closer. Could she have just been mistaken because of this second person?

She looked from Cirno to the unknown girl, her face showing the obvious confusion that the Gate Guard was experiencing.

“I don’t know-- Something has to be going on--” Her words, honest as always, were cut off when she felt one final rush of chi from the sky. Her mouth still open from her unspoken, words, her head turned in time with Kogasa to find yet another fairy dropping from the sky.

They were dropping like flies!

She could feel the larger fairy’s energy more accurately, now that the girl was in front of here. Even so, Meiling was not surprised that she had mistaken such a weak pulsing of Chi to be none all. This girl was exhausted, maybe even more so than Cirno.

“Let her down--” Meiling half-ordered to the new girl, even as she still lightly held her own phased fairy. “These guys live around my home, just give them a second.”
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Cirno » 16 Feb 2010 07:20

Cirno rolled over slowly. All of a sudden, she felt the presence of several other people besides that lady she just bonked into. Given that her vision was very quickly tunneling, Cirno soon felt herself drifting off into a nap. She had frozen the entire lake and then ran halfway across Gensokyo; anyone would be in an extreme state of exhaustion.

"Dinner...sounds....nice..."

((SORRY FOR THE COP OUT POST! Cirno has technically left the thread, but you can do what you like to her body))
Cirno
Main Character

Postby Daiyousei » 17 Feb 2010 04:25

((Do what we like to the body, you say. :3))

As she collapsed, Daiyousei felt herself being supported by someone so that she wouldn't hit the ground. "I'm...alright....don't worry...about me....how is....Cirno-chan...?" She was hanging onto her consciousness by a thread, but she wasn't planning on blacking out just yet. As she heard the typical response from Cirno, she chuckled a little. "Sounds like....she's fine....hehehe..ow...." It hurt to laugh, but she had to laugh anyway. After all, the ice fairy sounded like nothing had happened, even if she was exhausted to the point of falling asleep.

Delighted, but still in pain, she rested on the ground as Kogasa lowed her to it, closing her eyes only because they felt so very heavy....No! Don't close your eyes! You need to watch over Cirno-chan while she sleeps! Moaning a bit at the effort, she opened her eyes as much as she could to obey the voice in her head. She was able to see who caught her as well, a girl with different colored eyes and an umbrella. She'd never seen the teal haired girl before, but she was glad that she didn't look too mean. "Sorry for falling....so suddenly....I hope it wasn't too much trouble to catch me....." She winced a bit from the pain in her foot, but it was a more subdued pain if she didn't focus on it too much.
Daiyousei
Free Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 18 Feb 2010 02:52

Kogasa took Meiling's request as a command and made to set the fairy down, but all of a sudden she heard her speak. She kept the girl's body in her arms, in that case. If she let the fairy fall, she would probably black out. She was literally on the verge of collapsing from fatigue, which was entirely possible, judging from what happened to the other fairy. An ice fairy, perhaps? Her wings resembled crystals, ice crystals, perhaps. Ah, so this was the legendary Cirno of the Misty Lake. The strongest fairy, did she say? But she didn't look so much like the strongest right now...

Maybe she should ask the fairy that was awake what was going on, but right now was not the time. As it stood, the fairy was in no condition to be reliving the potentially terrible events that may have led up to this. So Kogasa just rocked her gently, trying to keep her awake but at the same time trying to avoid exerting too much force. "She'll be fine, I think she'll be fine," she told the other person, the taller one with the red hair whose name was on the tip of her tongue but escaped her. Glancing back down at the fairy in her arms, she rocked her a bit harder to keep her awake. "It wasn't much trouble, er, to pick you up, that is," said Kogasa. "So, then, maybe you can at least tell me your name? I don't believe we've ever met before. I'm Kogasa. Nice to meet you, but I wish the circumstances were a bit nicer, too."

She turned back to the gateguard and called out to her. "I think we've met before, a long while ago? I don't quite remember your name, though. Can you, uh, give me a refresher, or at least a hint, please?"
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Hong Meiling » 19 Feb 2010 04:43

Meiling frowned at the teal-haired girl, before directing her attention back to Cirno. Even as the fairy went limp in her arms, Meiling was already lowering her down towards the soft, springy grass. She quickly removed her own hat, laying it down as a make-shift pillow for the fairy. Once Cirno had been placed comfortably down, Meiling pivoted, grabbing her back and hefting it off of her back with a loud clunk.

She held that frown as the two girls conversed, meanwhile pulling supplies form her bag that she felt would be useful. She dug around deftly, pulling from the bag a large roll of canvas. That done, she pulled herself onto her feet, digging thoroughly to pull a few stakes from her pack and removing several dowels that had been strapped along the top of her pack.

Once she had gathered the immediate supplies, she gave a sigh of relief and wiped the sweat from her forehead. Here was as good as any for a campsite, she supposed. After all, it would not be a very good idea to try to move the two in the condition that they were in.

“I’m a guard at the Scarlet Devil Mansion.” She admitted, still purposefully focused on driving the forked dowels into the soft, prairie earth. “My name is Hong Meiling.”

Even as Meiling spoke, she didn’t look at the girls. She was far too busy setting up a small tent, big enough to hold one adult person. It would be a stretch to fit both of the smaller girls inside, but it would be better than nothing, after all. She rolled out the thick canvas of the tent, before folding it haphazardly over the crossed dowels. Finally, her construct was beginning to look more and more like an actual tent.

“I can’t say I remember you--” A confession with a sympathetic grin, before Meiling returned her attention to hammering the stakes which would hold the canvas to the prairie floor. “Sorry.”

The Guard was clearly distracted, too focused in getting a decent campsite for the two fairies to recover in.
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Daiyousei » 22 Feb 2010 23:24

"I'm...Daiyousei...it's a pleasure to meet you...." She was breathing a bit easier now that she was resting after that hectic chase, but her foot still felt like it was immersed in lava. "So...Cirno-chan will be fine....right..?" Despite the fact that enough pain coursed through her to kill several average fairies from sheer agony, she still tried to keep conscious so that she could watch over her friend. Since the ice fairy had been set down, and looked to be sleeping rather soundly, the fairy managed a smile. "That's good...she'll be fine then...."

"I have a favor....to ask of you...." She looked at Kogasa intently, wanting the full weight of her words to sink in to show she was serious. "Please...if you are able...kill me..." It wasn't that she had given up on living, or that her foot was wounded beyond repair. No, it was just her own thinking that her regeneration would be faster than letting her broken foot heal up. "Don't worry....as a fairy....I don't die when people kill me....I just regenerate....thanks to nature....it's much faster than waiting....even if it is painful...." Besides, I need to be able to look over Cirno-chan while she's asleep! And what if her power stays missing? I'll need to help protect her from anyone that might hurt her! And I certainly can't do that with a broken foot! "Please...hurry...." Her consciousness was slipping fast now that she knew Cirno was alright, and she'd likely only stay awake for a little while longer.
Daiyousei
Free Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 24 Feb 2010 02:30

In a way, it was ironic. The only reason Kogasa was even out here was because she wanted to relax. So how did relaxing while watching the sunset turn into being asked to commit murder?

"Y-you can't be serious!!" exclaimed Kogasa at the moment she heard this. Most people would have thought nothing of this, because after all, Daiyousei was just a fairy, and fairies were virtually indestructible, given their ability to regenerate. But since Kogasa did not indulge in slaying random fairies unlike a certain green-haired shrine maiden (well, she "exterminated youkai", but that was an entirely different story altogether) she had no idea if what Daiyousei was saying was the truth, or if she really did want to die right there and then?

"Y-your friend is fine," said Kogasa idly, her mind racing. What if I kill her? Wouldn't that hurt? But she says that... dying and regenerating is faster than waiting for her body to heal? "So, she's Cirno? The strongest in Gensokyo, right?" A sudden thought flashed in her mind. You know, I wonder if... I wonder if I should kill Cirno too? But if Cirno was going to die, she was going to have to rely on the gateguard for that... the thought of killing even one fairy made her queasy.

"What..." She was about to ask Meiling's opinion on this, but she realized that Meiling would probably tell her to kill Daiyousei. The fact that she was setting up tents for the sake of the fairies was a testament to the fact that she wanted them to recover as soon as possible. As much as Kogasa didn't want to do it...

The murder was a quick, almost painless act. Reluctantly Kogasa had fired a brief stream of bullets directly into Daiyousei's hitbo- chest, and then the karakasa was in tears.
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Hong Meiling » 26 Feb 2010 10:28

It was a grim scenario. While Meiling had heard every word of the conversation, she remained utterly silent. She could pretend to be distracted with her work, but even she knew the reality of the situation. Compared to the weeks that it would require for the fairy’s wounds to heal, the mere minutes of regeneration was nothing. The only real loss for a regenerated fairy was a small lapse in memory, which could easily be fixed with a quick explanation. Even so… Murdering someone, even temporarily, was never a pleasant experience.

She looked up from her bag after she heard it. First, a look to Cirno, to see whether she was awake to witness it, before finally, a look to Kogasa. She did not look at what remained of Daiyousei. She did not wish to see it.

“You did good.” While she was technically praising the karakasa, Meiling’s words felt strained. “Before you know it, she’ll be back to her old self. Don’t you worry.”

A sympathetic smile was all that Meiling could spare before turning back to her pack, removing an old, bronze pot and a set of rusted silverware for one; she had not planned on company.

“Can you do me a favor?” This was just as much a favor for Meiling as it was a favor from Kogasa, who would likely need a welcome distraction. “I’m going to need some wood for a fire…”

Explanation cut short, Meiling hoped that the girl would understand just what she was getting at.

There wasn’t really time to be upset.
The fairy would probably regenerate before Kogasa could collect enough wood for a fire.
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 26 Feb 2010 23:04

No matter how Meiling might have praised her, Kogasa still felt devastated with what she had just brought herself to do. "Y-yeah... it, it won't be long, I guess..." She sniffled, then turned abruptly away from the, the... that was to say, she, she... Daiyousei... where that thing had happened. She could hardly admit to herself that she had, she...!

Kogasa plunged her stained face into her sleeve, trying to wipe her tears away. But no matter how she tried to be rid of them, they kept on coming. "Whu... a favor..." she moaned, her voice muffled by her soaking wet sleeve. What was she saying? Something about wood for a fire? Her mind was so muddled right now that it took her a bit to realize that they needed wood because wood burned. Might as well. She had no business here right now, not after...

"R-right... I'll... get the firewood..." she said, her voice coming out as a mere whisper. "I'll just... be off, then..." Umbrella in hand, Kogasa miserably made her way off from where it had happened.
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Hong Meiling » 28 Feb 2010 19:59

Kogasa’s feelings were not wrong. Meiling knew that. Yet she was still forced to hold her tongue, gathering together what stones she could find and taking very regular glances to the sleeping fairy that remained. Nothing that she could say would be able to change how Kogasa felt. It was just better to let the girl realize this on her own. Meiling had experienced this first hand; a lesson well learned at the Scarlet Devil Mansion. Often times, fairies would regenerate only to be rushed right back into battle. It was one of the only uses to having fairy guards; their one strong point.

Once she had gathered a decent amount of stones, she began to assemble them in a small ring in front of the tent. Even so, she took care to place the fire pit far enough away-- a sleeping ice fairy would not be too pleased to wake up and find flames flickering nearby. That done, there really wasn’t too much left to do. The sun was still slinking lower and lower behind the horizon. Stars were beginning to peek out from the night sky, and soon they would need to have a f ire to keep the night chill from biting at their bones.

Speaking of chill… She turned from her pack, giving Cirno a hesitant look over. It would probably be faster to kill her as well… But… Meiling bit at her lip. Was it really okay? What made her situation any different from killing Daiyousei? Oh, that was right: consent. Daiyousei had asked to be killed. She had agreed to it. To take Cirno out now would be against her consent, and that would make the act far more deplorable. Those were not Cirno’s wishes.

While less convenient, it sat better on the Gate Guard’s conscious. Young Mistress Flandre had already killed this poor girl enough times; it was better to let her rest and live for a while, even if it was just to calm her nerves and ease the guilt that Meiling felt at being unable to save the fairy from Flandre. And so, without any further thought, the guard lifted the frozen fairy up, carefully laying her inside the tent; Meiling’s own hat making a makeshift pillow for the young girl.
Hong Meiling
Main Character

Postby Daiyousei » 01 Mar 2010 06:29

Seeing Kogasa steel herself, Daiyousei had closed her eyes with a content look on her face. "...Thank you..." She was able to mutter those words before she had been sent to the oblivion that was nothingness as a fairy reformed itself. For a brief moment, the fairy was able to have the ephemeral feeling of being a part of nature in it's entirety. The wind, the trees, the rocks, and the earth...she was part of all of it and none of it for a brief moment of existence. This moment didn't last very long, as her body began to reform from the very essence of nature that she had briefly been a part of. Her regeneration wasn't the same as Cirno's, a gathering of water and ice that turned to flesh, but instead was recreated by all the elements of nature. Rocks for bones, grass for hair, wood for flesh, it all assembled itself in a neat and orderly manner to form the entire form of Daiyousei. A subtle transition of texture and color, and the fairy looked as good as new.

Blinking once or twice and trying to reorient herself to her surroundings after her death, she noticed that Kogasa had gone off for some reason or another. "I'll have to apologize to her, once she gets back...." It had been a terrible thing to ask for, and it likely wracked the karakasa's mind with guilt over the deed she had committed. Still, nothing could be done if she wasn't there, so she turned to Meiling instead. Walking over to the gatekeeper, she saw her setting Cirno down inside the tent. "She's alright isn't she? I don't know exactly what happened, but she started running off after she had frozen the entire Misty Lake, and she can't fly for some reason. I don't know what's wrong with her, and worse, I don't know if it can ever recover. Oh, what to do, what to do...." Daiyousei fidgeted helplessly, her troubled gaze flickering between Meiling, Cirno, and the surroundings to see if Kogasa had returned yet.
Daiyousei
Free Character

Next

Return to Archive