[Open] When Life Gives You Lemons

Archive for threads set in the Forest of Magic.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Open] When Life Gives You Lemons

Postby Chen » 08 Sep 2012 16:57

                    LEMONADE! ¥50
          YUMMY MUFFINS! COOKIES AND MORE PASTRIES!! ¥100

Chen whistled as she painted a few more exclamation marks on her sign for good measure. Usually, the late summer heat drags everything out into a crawl - the muggy air turning people into snails, the stone pathways melting under your feet, even the sun getting tired and slowing down the afternoons. The name 'dog days' couldn't be more fitting. But now, there's a cure: the best lemonade in Gensokyo! Ice-cold, refreshing, nectar of the gods! And all profits go to a good cause, because Chen's allowance is way too small already.

Lemons, water, sugar - what could be simpler? Admittedly, Chen couldn't find where Yukari kept the sugar in the pantry. She had only found an old cloth bag full of strangely colored waxy powders, with a line of mysterious symbols on the front that she couldn't recognize. Obviously, the stuff had to be delicious flavorings - how else would people get pink lemonade in the first place? So she scooped a few spoons of various types into the lemonade, and into the batter for the pastries too. What could possibly go wrong? Mouthwatering lemonade and pastries, sugar-free! What are you waiting for? Come down to Chen's lemonade stand, best in Gensokyo!
"Happiness is like a cat, If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."
Chen
Main Character

Re: [Open] When Life Gives You Lemons

Postby Yukari Yakumo » 11 Sep 2012 13:54

Small startup businesses in this harsh economic downturn can find it hard to gain a foothold in the market, and Gensokyo was no different from the rest of the world in that respect. Big market household names, tax free religious institutions, even interplanetary trade from foreign aliens all putting immense pressure on the little firms, especially those tied to the fast moving food trade.

On the other hand, a group already involved in this sort of enterprises always tends to do well in if they help their subsidiaries break into the field. And there was certainly precedent for the Yakumos providing food, after all...

"My, my, what's this, a lemonade stand on the winding path down to the shrine?" As par for the course, the source of Yukari's voice is nowhere to be seen at first, only stepping out besides Chen at the stall after a moment's pregnant pause.

"And not just lemonade, I see... cookies and baked things and little star shaped sweets. I was wondering what you were doing around the oven the last couple of days, but I'm surprised by your enterprising spirit! Do you mind if I have a sample drink? And does Ran know about this little venture, I wonder~?" The smile on Yukari's face twinkled in the dappled sunlight.
Yukari Yakumo
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Rin Kaenbyou » 17 Sep 2012 10:02

The kasha cursed under her breath, wiping her brow with black silk kerchief. her velvety black ears dropped and her tails flicked back and forth irritably. It was not the heat... Orin didn’t mind the heat. The fiery pits of old hell were more pleasant than the midday humidity surface-side. That and it played havoc with the wellbeing of your wholesome dead bodies. Just a little water and they just fell apart. It made even more of a nasty mess of loading ‘em and when it comes to unloading them, everything just goes to hell... metaphorically. It had been a slow day for the kasha, and she had barely anything to show for it. She looked at her cart and scowled a bit. These should be adequate. It wasn’t as though feeding the furnaces took quite as much as it used to, but she still took it seriously enough. She had her pride as a kasha to consider! Besides, it was fun in a way. It was a bit like stalking prey.

She slowly meandered under the partial cover of the forest, thankful to be mostly out of the midday sun. Two of her familiars orbited about her in meandering trails, making odd, chattering, and guttural noises now and again. The noises serve to punctuate the slow rhythm of the creaking cart wheels as Orin pushed it along the path that leads to the Hakurei Shrine. Maybe the red-and-white there would give her some tea, water, anything. Maybe if she asked real nice like... it wasn’t like she’d hold a grudge, right? Though something else caught her eye, something she wasn’t expecting. Orin’s ears perked up tilting forwards as she saw the Yakumo cat, along with ol’ Lady Yakumo herself. And no dog. Right next to ‘em both was a large pitcher of frosty lemonade and a plate of bicuits, pastries and other goodies.

She was pulled up to the lemonade stand in a flash, a broad grin stretched across her face. It’d been a while since she’d seen the small lil’ scamp. “Just lookit ya, sis~! Looks like the lil’ kitten’s gone and got herself some bigger britches. How’re ya, Chen?” No need to be too formal with a friend... or at least a friendly acquaintance. Orin turns to the gap witch and nods her head politely in greeting. “And good afternoon to you, Miss Yakumo.” Water was nice and all, but something sweet would do perfectly. “I think I’ll have a glass, and one of those stars, the red one ov’r there.”

Orin turned to her cart, and after what looked like a spot of ransacking she placed six coins on the counter top of the lemonade stand as payment in full, with a little extra. Both her ears tilted towards the cart as the two spirits with her began to hiss in hoarse whispers. She turned, icily glaring at them across her shoulder, and then looked over at [s]someone[/s] something in her cart with the same intense glare. The spirits fell back into silence and with a roguish grin the kasha turned her attention back to Chen and Yukari.
Rin Kaenbyou
Main Character

Postby Chen » 23 Sep 2012 03:31

Chen's eyes widened at the sight of her first customer: Lady Yukari herself. Strange that she showed up so soon... but, after all, I guess there's nothing unfamiliar about serving Yukari. "Go ahead," Chen poured a cap of lemonade. "And no, Ran doesn't know. I did it all myself!" She beamed and handed over the sample.

The question was, aside from the taste-test, should Yukari have to pay for drinks and pastries? On the one hand, she was family, and Chen had taken all the ingredients from her pantry. On the other hand, Chen didn't want to make the other customers jealous...

What other customers, you may ask? Ah, perfect timing - another youkai was just sauntering up with a sledful of spirits, and who could it be but Orin! "Hey! Everything's going great, how about you? Are your ghosts having fun underground?" Orin normally earned scare points for her job, but she was the only other cat youkai in town. Not a bad tipper, either. "A drink and a cookie, order up!" Chen clinked ice cubes into a glass, topping it up until lemonade dripped down the sides, before sliding it across the table. "That's one strawberry star tart. And one pink lemonade... on the rocks."

(Chen couldn't resist sneaking herself a glass as well. And who would blame her for also scuffling down one or two muffins? I don't think I have to charge myself for them, though...)
"Happiness is like a cat, If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."
Chen
Main Character

Postby Yukari Yakumo » 29 Sep 2012 17:54

The first rule of running a business! Always make sure you've got a steady supply of customers! And it looked like Chen was well on her way to procuring that!

"What an... extraordinary taste. What, I wonder, did you bake into these, I wonder?" Yukari herself has chosen a blueberry muffin, herself, her eyes sparkling at the taste of the baked product. "It definitely has an interesting.. tang to it~" she comments, laying down a rather heavy old coin, too. If all the goods sold in the same way Chen'd have to get a larger coin purse!
Yukari Yakumo
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Rin Kaenbyou » 06 Oct 2012 11:19

Orin gratefully took the glass of lemonade and the strawberry pastry from the smaller bakeneko and leaned up against the edge of her cart, balancing her weight perfectly against it. The grin on her face had eased into a broad smile, though there was just a hint of something sinister in the kasha’s blood red eyes. She answered in a rather jovial tone, talking to the kitten like she would of any of her fellow pets, her “sisters” at home.

“Ol’ Hell’s one big party you know. There’s always room for one more an’ we gotta warm welcome waitin’. The spirits never wanna leave. ‘Course not wanting to leave this world is sorta what landed ‘em in Old Hell in the first place... courtesy of yours truly. Okuu’s doin’ fine too, she’s off watchin’ things so the whole damn place doesn’t burn down. Though ‘tween you ‘n’ me, that might be an improvement if it did. Can ya imagine, sis, the Blazin’ Hells burning down?” Rin laughs a little, as she muses about the thought. “Seriously though, ain’t had a lick of trouble since the incident. Well, maybe a coupla things here and there, but ya know, kinda to be expected...”

The glass of lemonade was a delight to hold, the small icy slush of condensation on the glass felt delightful on her hands. Never mind that it would be a bit sticky where the lemonade had spilled over the rim. Orin took a rather large bite of the strawberry tart. And then another. The cookie did have a peculiar tartness to it, though the strawberries were very sweet. Orin drank deeply from the glass, closing her eyes. Perhaps this was something different the surfacers enjoyed, something different with how they made it. She was feelin’ quite parched so she took another healthy gulp, catching a piece of ice between her teeth. Without a thought to the propriety of it, she crushed the ice between her teeth like she’d crush a small bone, showing a flash of her fangs while doing so.

The two spirits stop their meandering orbits, one to Orin’s right and the other to her left. The ghost at her right chimes in with a sibilant whisper that ends in a staccato chattering.

“No, you can’t have any.. this is mine. ‘Sides how are ya going to drink it, ya numbskull.”

Rin took another drink along with couple of ice cubes from the glass, crunching ‘em noisily. The ghost on the kasha’s left responded, pushing up underneath her arm in almost playful manner, and upsetting the balance of the glass, causing the lemonade to slosh around and the ice to clink on the inside of the glass. The other spirit at the right coiled about her other arm, shifting towards what was left of the cookie while making a reedy sighing noise

“Hey, knock it off, I said it’s mine!”
Rin Kaenbyou
Main Character

Postby Chen » 11 Oct 2012 22:32

Chen slid Yukari’s coin into her pocket and took out another glass for her. “Oh, the muffins – it’s just flour, yeast, milk, blueberries... nothing special." She poured the lemonade to go along with Yukari's muffin - (I figure I have enough for around ten more servings) - and handed it over. "I might’ve borrowed your oven for around 15 minutes. And around 175 degrees Celsius. That’s all, though. Well, except for the secret ingredient.”

In the meantime, all this dealing-with-customers business was keeping Chen away from her own drink. She gulped down her lemonade like a bugbear drinking a root beer float, emptying the whole thing in just a few seconds. “Ahh… that sure washes away the heat.” She pressed the glass against her cheek, letting the ice chill her nerves. “Though, I don’t remember lemonade ever being this sweet... huh.”

Now, back to the customers! “You say hell could burn up?” Chen flashed Orin a quizzical look. “That sounds tough. Isn’t the whole point of hell that it’s… fiery, and stuff? I know for sure it’s not supposed to freeze over.” Or, rather, if it did freeze over, a lot of people I know would start doing a lot of very strange things...
Chen
Main Character

Postby Yukari Yakumo » 18 Oct 2012 19:54

Wiping away some foam from her mouth, Yukari took a gulp of the lemonade. -Cookies weren't supposed to foam, right? -But it tasted interesting, so that's all right!

She coughed, slighly, examining the slightly pinkish residue on her fingertips before licking them clean in a manner not unreminiscent of how the other two present might clean their own paws.

"Well, now..." She swallowed another gulp, washing down the rest of the cookie. What a wonderful idea this was! "I do declare, this stall will definitely be a great success! So much, that I'm willing to put down my name onto it!" With a flourish, she takes out a stamp from within her clothing, and stamps it onto the sign.

It read:

Approved by
Y Yakumo

"And if this is the sort of entertainment that you get up to in the underworld, Rin, it's no wonder there's a lot of spilt drinks~ Why not let them have some, too?"
Yukari Yakumo
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Tenshi Hinanawi » 19 Oct 2012 15:04

"Hahh... what a drag..!" A certain Celestial sighed and spoke to no one in particular, stomping her way down a dirt path she had found herself on somehow. Despite the light weight of her clothes, the oppressive heat pressed down on her body, making her feel sluggish, worn and...sweaty, which was certainly unbecoming of a woman of her beauty! ...Except possibly for tender moments with a lover, but this was certainly not the case!!

Tenshi paused for a moment to wipe her brow, tilting her wide-brimmed hat as she did. She looked up towards the blue, cloudless sky. The sun was bright - far too bright. She winced and lowered her gaze, before spotting something off in the distance. Blinking away the brightness temporarily burned into her vision, Tenshi spotted a small wooden structure further down the road, populated by three figures. They were conversing lightly, though their conversation was lost to the wind.

There was something about these people... Tenshi stood there, pondering for a moment, and then it hit her: Why were they out in the heat so carelessly? Surely they too must be affected! They must have a secret weapon, that's the only explanation! And whatever it was, Tenshi wanted it. Who said they were allowed to not be hot when she clearly was? Outrageous!

With newly found energy, Tenshi sped down the rest of the dirt path towards the wooden structure as fast as her boots and Celestian body would allow her.

"HEEEYY!!"

Disregarding the conversation the three beings held, Tenshi lept at the last moment and pounced next to the stand, kicking up an amount of dirt and sending a small rock into orbit. "Oops.... Erm, you there!" She pointed accusingly to the smaller, brown-haired girl with the incredibly soft-looking ears, her other hand planted firmly on her hip. "What is the meaning of this? Why are you all not affected by the weather?? This is preposterous! If I, Tenshi Hinanawi, am being beaten by it, then there's no reason you three shouldn't be--" She paused, her gaze falling upon the arrangement of sweet-looking concoctions and strange-looking drink. "...Oh! Can I have some? Pleeease?" Her expression and demeanor pulled a one-eighty, quickly forgetting her prideful indignation and replacing it with a childish awe and excitement.
Tenshi Hinanawi
Main Character

Postby Rin Kaenbyou » 27 Oct 2012 22:08

The kasha’s black velvet ears tilted just a tad to the side as her contented sigh drew out into a soft purr. She tumbled the few remaining ice-cubes around in the glass, the clacking noise drowning out the spirits’ chatter. It only took the glimmer of a scornful smile to silence the spirit that was hovering by her arm. The flames surrounding it darkened into shades of violet and it spiraled upwards in a widening orbit above the glass. The other spirit loosened it’s hold and fell silent as the grave. Well, as silent as the grave can be when the dead have had their fill of griping.

“If it did go and burn down, we’re just lucky there’s more than just one Hell, y’know. Well, lucky for us...”
Orin turned a thoughtful glance over towards the corpses in her cart, putting her index finger to her lip. “Not so lucky for them, sis. But you’re right, Chen, there’s plenty of soot an’ fire an’ brimstone in Old Hell and it stretches for farther than than most care to look. A frozen hell ain’t that far stretch of an imagination, I hear there’s a far distant hell, the center o’ which is chock full of ice like a great frozen lake of tears, with damn’d souls wailin’ and sobbin’ and not doing mucha anything but covering themselves in more ice. An' they’re quite lively aren’t they, Ms. Yukari. You’d be surprised how spirited things are underground... well, it's mostly just the usual, but it's still fun.”

The two evil spirits continued to flit about in winding paths about her, nuzzling up against her arms on occasion and bumping her hands upwards, almost if they were jealous of the attention she was paying Chen. Her smile twisted into smirk.

“Oh, go on have it then, for what good it’ll do ya.”

The spirit closest to the cookie hurtled towards it descending like a ravenous blue raptor upon. What was left of the pastry blackened and crumbled to ash as it passed into the azure flames shrouding the ghost, leaving Rin’s hand empty. The kasha caressed the spirit, stroking across the side and up over the top of the skull. She left a flickering wake of blue fire as she pulled her hand away.

“They curse the livin’ outta envy, Ms. Yukari... it’d be ever so cruel to tease them with--”

The kasha stopped mid-sentence, her ears tilting towards the sound of the stampeding Celestial, hearing her far before she made her dramatic entrance. Orin had plenty of time to pivot on her feet and shift her cart so it wouldn’t tossed from the earth by the landing of the ersatz angel. She smoothed her skirt and brushed away some of the displaced dust, her tails starting to flick back and forth out of a flicker of annoyance. It was a brief lived spark that was soon consumed by a flare of curiosity. She wasn’t quite sure what to make of the newcomer. She said she was a tenshi... but the celestial looked different from what Orin thought a celestial should look like. Less... feathery. did tenshi even use titles?

“Oh Chen, it looks like customers are just fallin’ outta the sky for ya. What happened sis, the heat melt your wings? H-hey, those are Chen’s, ya gotta pay the ferryman...”

‘That doesn’t sound right.. pay the piper? Aw hell, think, Orin..’

“Pay the cat. They aren’t free, y’know. Give the lil’ devil her due.”
Rin Kaenbyou
Main Character

Postby Chen » 02 Nov 2012 01:26

Chen leapt back as the rainbow-clothed youkai rocketed up to the stand. Even with her danmaku-honed reflexes, she barely twitched past the errant projectiles kicked up from the aurora girl's entry.

"Woaah!" Fortunately, the newcomer seemed more interested in lemonade than starting a raid. "Welcome to Chen's Lemonade Emporium, the one-stop midsummer shop that puts all the others in Gensokyo to shame! Come on in and beat the heat," Chen delivered her practiced new-customer spiel and slid over today's fifth whole glass of lemonade. "It's fifty yen a glass. Oh, and nice to meet you, Tenshi! Chen's my name."

After saying that, Chen's stomach growled in an upside-down way. For some reason, finishing that sentence had made her feel all topsy-turvy.

"Um... does anyone think their lemonade looks a little... orange?" Chen tried to say, but strangely, she just couldn't spit it out. I guess I shouldn't worry the customers... It was unmistakeable, though: the droplets settling in her recently-downed glass reflected a hue that looked more like amber than lemon. The central pitcher still looked yellow, though. At least, on average.

Chen glanced at Yukari and tried to put it out of her mind. "So, one ambassador of heaven and one ambassador of hell. This lemonade stand sure is attracting an interesting clientele." Urp. There's that feeling again.
Chen
Main Character

Postby Yukari Yakumo » 10 Nov 2012 00:20

"Ah, Miss Celestial! I think.. no, I know you're uniquely qualified to test out this new trial run of foodstuffs, quality approved for Celestials just like you!"

Yukari perhaps was not being very subtle here; her mild dislike of the pesky celestial was well known, and thus the offer might have been suspicious at first. But then, Yukari was often more subtle than that - was it a double ploy? Or a triple ploy? Or was she genuinely being appreciative of Tenshi?

Well, probably one of those!

"As advertised in the former hell as edible even by spirits from the underworld! Guaranteed not to warp you into some sort of bizzare creature at all!" she trilled. "Oh, but as Orin says, even spirits have to pay up~"

She sways over to her shikigami's shikigami, hissing slightly towards the brightly coloured mostly yellow fluid. "Ixnay on the orange-nade, kay? I'm sure that Miss Celestial here would be thrilled to try out your wonderful concoction~"
Yukari Yakumo
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Tenshi Hinanawi » 15 Nov 2012 16:36

"Why of course, my fiery-headed friend! I wouldn't dare think of cheating such an adorably cute and a noble proprietor out of her delicious-looking creations..! And if it's 'quality approved', then I have no worries! (...Who are you again, miss?)" Tenshi replied to the Kasha and blonde woman, her attention otherwise focused on the spread of Chen's handmade goodness. She reached into a small pouch at her hip and withdrew a fistful of coins, slammed them onto the counter and swiped up the glass Chen had offered her. Tipping it and her head back, she downed its contents in a few gulps, letting out a contented sigh afterwards.

"Ahhh~! How refreshing! How heavenly!" Tenshi gushed, wiping her mouth with the back of her glove and then replacing the glass on the counter. "This lemonade is simply divine! You should be proud of yourself, ...! Er...Chen, was it?" She had always been terrible with keeping track of names. Why should she bother anyway, when it was her name people should be remembering? Regardless, Tenshi placed a balled-up fist at her hip and gave a thumbs up with her other hand, flashing her wonderfully white Celestian smile for the group to see. "A-Plus!"

"Ah?" Tenshi's stance diminished, her head tilting after gleaning a parcel of Yukari's aside with Chen, and noting the latter's somewhat concerned expression. "Is there something wrong? Are you feeling unwell, young one? If I buy one of these delicious treats, would that cure your ills?" She asked, her hand already reaching into the same pouch as before to withdraw another fistful of jingling coins. Something seemed to stir in the pit of her belly, but it was probably just the lemonade settling on an otherwise empty stomach. That would be cured with a treat or two, surely!
Tenshi Hinanawi
Main Character

Postby Rin Kaenbyou » 21 Nov 2012 21:14

((Sorry for the delay everyone, I was trying to think of something sort of fun to do with the whole lemonade-potion mix-up. ^^;; Please let me know if you think it's too far out of bounds, and I'll come up with something else.))

Orin absentmindedly dabbed a a bit at her brow with her kerchief, not paying much mind to the sudden warmth that seemed to make the cloying heat and humidity of the summer day almost intolerable. She managed a weak smile towards the celestial, Tenshi’s bombastic manner was starting to get under her fur. Without a second thought to the propriety of it, the kasha helped herself to another glass of the bizarre lemony concoction, slamming another pair of coins upon the counter as recompense. She made sure to fill the glass with as many ice cubes as she could. She wiped her brow again, which for her was quite odd, she’d never been much bothered by the heat.. perhaps it was the humidity that was making her feel this miserable. She downed her second glass in an instant, delighting in the frosty beverage, and crunching more ice cubes noisily.

The kasha’s attention snapped to her two familiar spirits at the sound of a loud, protracted gurgling noise. ‘They never quit, do they.’ The noise repeated, this time much louder, drawing out to a very unpleasant end. The vengeful spirits seemed as baffled by it as she was, and she looked down to her midsection. It was her! Orin felt a sudden stabs of pain in her side as the tumult in her stomach intensified. She placed both hands upon her midsection, as if the gesture could settle her stomach; The kasha was answered by another protesting gurgle. She was starting to feel a sour taste claw its way out of the pit of her stomach and up her throat, makin’ her feel that much more wretched.

In addition to the obvious signs of discomfort as the world seemed to turn on it’s end, her skin had taken on a dark blush, brightening from it’s usually pale, porcelain colour to a hue of red... The sudden blush didn’t seem to be fading at all, but darkening and solidifying into a solid hue of red that was spreading across even her hands. A bright red colour. The colour of an oni. The kasha was soon fighting to quell the rise of panic raising her hands to look at them, turning them over as their color shifted. As the colour of her skin shifted, her fiery red hair darkening into the same coal black of her ears. The change began at the roots, and slowly shifted down towards the end of her braids.

“Not to make ya betray any trade secrets or nothin’ but just what the hell was in that lemonade!” the kasha violently spat. “Just what in the Eight Hells is happenin’... this is just... I don’ wanna be red... I can’t be red, what’s Satori-sama gonna do with a red kasha....” The was a definite panic rising in her voice and actions as her ruby eyes darted from her hands to Chen, then to Yukari, and back to Chen.

Her large velvety ears flattened against her head in fear, though as the last fiery red strands turned to black, the kasha’s cat ears seemed to vanish entirely into the midst of her now raven-black hair. The strange turn of events had worked up into so much of a panic, she hadn’t even noticed they had been replaced by two ominous welts at the front of both temples of her head.
Rin Kaenbyou
Main Character

Postby Chen » 27 Nov 2012 01:47

[[Note: if you correctly guess my "lemonade mix-up effect" before reading this post, I'll personally give you +10 Chen Perspicacity Points.]]

Chen looked back at Yukari's anxious expression. "Sorry, Yukari," she whispered. Although she wasn't sure how her master's master had intuited her troubles. Maybe it was a shikigami thing.

She continued whispering to Yukari:
"I know it seems like I'm being too high-strung,
but every time I speak, it's like a cat's got my tongue.
It feels like my throat has some kind of blockade.
Do... do you think it might be the lemonade?
I'm afraid," Chen conveyed.

She doubled over in rasping coughs after saying that. The movements of her vocal cords felt dislocated from her throat - like something was hopping around inside. I urge you at this point, please do not try to imagine the actual feeling of some creature hopping around on the inside of your throat. Chen tried to suppress it until she could breathe normally again, so as not to attract the attention of her customers. But as it turned out, keeping nonchalant in front of her customers wouldn't be that big of an issue...

Three feet away, Orin caught fire.

Or, maybe not literally, but the kasha showed the symptoms: her skin was blistering red, her hair burnt out to charcoal, even her temper was turning crimson. Chen instinctively cowered under her stand and buried herself half into the ground, trying as hard as possible to turn into an ostrich. She cried,
"What's going on? I have no idea!
Don't worry, Orin, we'll find you a panacea!" Meanwhile, the metamorphosis raged on.

A cat out of hell, with her hair flaming red...
  She was the embodiment of a scarlet devil.

Chen slapped her forehead to stop her latest coughing fit. She didn't even know what panacea meant. She hoped it wasn't anything bad.
Chen
Main Character

Next

Return to Archive