[Open] Curiosity shop Kourindou

Archive for threads set in the Forest of Magic.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Open] Curiosity shop Kourindou

Postby Rinnosuke Morichika » 02 Oct 2009 07:14

Another typical day. Not a single customer. Rinnosuke sighed to himself. Sometimes even he wondered how he managed to make ends meet like this. Glancing over the piles of unlabeled, unsorted merchandise that decorated the storefront willy-nilly, even he knew this was not precisely the optimal way to run a business.

Still, fixing it would involve inventing some kind of organizational system, making signs for the goods, actually deciding on prices ahead of time... and then he'd lose the ability to rip off gullible customers... it was too much trouble to be bothered with.

Well, if worst comes to worst, he could demand that Reimu pay off her tab, but he knew perfectly well the Hakurei Miko didn't have any money either. With a shrug to himself, he sat in his chair and reached for the book sitting next to him. Opening it to the marked page, he began to read again. Like most books from the outside world, it was very difficult to understand, assuming knowledge that would certainly be common to the people there. It made a good way to numb the boredom until the time came to close for the day.

Well, it was barely past noon. Perhaps someone would still show up today.
Rinnosuke Morichika
Alternate Character

Re: Curiosity shop Kourindou

Postby Fujiwara no Mokou » 02 Oct 2009 09:43

“Oi, Shopkeeper!” Mokou knocked on the door lightly before stepping into the premises, it certainly wasn’t her first time in Kourindou as she had a tendency to try and come here for whatever she needed rather then the human village anytime she could. Hopefully she would be able to find what she needed here today, she did not have the patience of guts to approach the human village today.

She gave a little wave once she noticed the familiar shopkeeper, her free hand stuffed into her pocket as she glanced around the shop in her usual casual manner. Crimson eyes passed over the various items briefly before they turned back to Rinnosuke. She was obviously trying to read his mood, but to no avail.

“You got any fishin’ poles and baskets?” She looked over towards the door she had just walked in momentarily before eventually facing the shopkeeper, her expression quickly growing surly as she played with her bangs. She really didn’t seem too happy to be talking to him, almost distrustful, but she couldn’t take another fishing outing like her earlier one. That crazy fairy, the oni and trying to catch fish by hand? Not again. She needed a new pole, badly.

“If ya do maybe we can make a deal or somethin’,” she added on, shooting him a furtive glance.

http://i.imgur.com/1Azms.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/79Z2EEk.png

Rinranrunning 1d100 for the amount of tsundere Fuji has for Kaguya.
Sakuya_Izayoi Rinranrunning rolled 1 100-sided dice. < 100 > Total: 100 (100).
Fujiwara no Mokou
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Rinnosuke Morichika » 02 Oct 2009 10:10

Rinnosuke lowered his book as he heard the knock, followed by the bells above his door jingling. Replacing the bookmark and setting it down, he stood. Upon identifying the customer, he bowed briefly. "Irrashaimase." The traditional greeting from shopkeeper to customer, and one the surly man reserved only for people who actually bought things occassionally.

Of course he remembered Mokou. Customers who never made pests of themselves or caused trouble were rare in Kourindou, and the tomboyish girl who had just walked in was one of them. She appeared to be human, but oddly always seemed to come to him for things she could easily find in a store in the village, but Rinnosuke simply assumed she had her own circumstances. She had never mentioned the reasons, and he didn't pry. She obviously didn't trust him, but he was more or less fine with that. She kept coming back anyway.

"A fishing rod..." Rinnosuke rubbed his chin in thought and cast his eyes over the disorganized storefront. "That's a bit outside my field..." This statement was almost a tradition between the two. It was the closest he ever came to asking why she went through the trouble of coming to a store that dealt specifically in outside world, netherworld, and youkai goods to get every day items.

"Baskets I'm certain I have. Give me a moment, and I'll see if there's a fishing rod too." Turning to one of the many cabinets in the shop, he began searching through his own merchandise.
Rinnosuke Morichika
Alternate Character

Postby Fujiwara no Mokou » 02 Oct 2009 10:45

The same familiar song and dance, Mokou did her best to suppress what may have been a smile forming as she stuffed her hands into her pockets. Even if she didn’t trust him, she couldn’t help but find some enjoyment with the strange ritual, “Tch, seems like everythin’ is outside your field.” She shrugged her shoulders, glancing to a nearby pile of rather unique looking books.

“A basket like I got before would be nice,” she followed after him while still keeping a respectful distance, watching the contents of the cabinets get jostled about with curiosity. Of course the basket she got before was one hell of a container, large enough for nearly ten good-sized fish and surprisingly strong. “Unless it’s somehow found it’s way back here,” considering where she had lost it at a lake only youkai and fairies visited there was no telling what could have happened to it. Some cheeky fairy may have brought it here in an attempt to trade.

“Ya know how yer shop has a way of… attractin’ things.” It almost seemed as though she were attempting to pick a fight with him after her first comment and now this one, but the fact she was speaking more then she normally would have it was clear her mood wasn’t bad.

Fujiwara no Mokou
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Rinnosuke Morichika » 02 Oct 2009 11:05

Rinnosuke shrugged, letting the last comment roll off his back. He hadn't survived this long by having a short temper. "If they have money, anyone is welcome in this store whether they're human, youkai, or otherwise. You know that." After a moment, he seemed to reach his goal, retrieving a large case from the cabinet.

Turning it towards her, he opened it to show her the contents. It did, indeed, appear to be a fishing rod... more or less... but it was significantly more complicated that anything Mokou was likely to have seen. Lots of extra bits hanging off here and there, seperate brightly colored pieces of indeterminate purpose in the case with it, and such.

Closing the case after she'd had a moment to examine it, he spoke. "I can at least guarantee that its a fishing rod. I believe its from the outside world. Only one I have in stock. As usual, you have to figure out how to use it yourself. Interested?" Without waiting for an answer, he rested the case against the wall and went to find the basket she had also requested. If she didn't like this, he could easily craft a fishing rod himself and have her come back, but this was a good chance to get rid of some of the stock he couldn't use himself.
Rinnosuke Morichika
Alternate Character

Re: [Open] Curiosity shop Kourindou

Postby Fujiwara no Mokou » 02 Oct 2009 11:17

The immortal’s expression when he showed her the rod made it very clear that is was well beyond any expertise she had, but when he put it away so quickly a strange little urge began to grow inside her for that specific pole.

Even after he set it down and moved away she lifted the case back up, crouching down into a squat and resting the case on top of her knees as she unlatched the container once more to eye the fishing pole uncertainly. It was an unusually bold move for her, but at the same time the pole was of such unique design she couldn’t help but be fascinated by it.

She poked at one of the brightly colored bits, fingertips trailing down along the line that was included, even poking the handle that spinned on the side. She wasn’t particularly gifted when it came to such equipment, but her years of experience did give her a bit of a know how with them and the strange pieces already seemed to have some sort of logical order, even to her.

“What a weird pole,” she commented vaguely, glancing up to see where the shop-keep had gone as she snapped the container closed. Maybe the unusual pole from the outside world was somehow more advanced then the poles she was used too? Maybe she’d be able to catch more fish? “Ya think it’s better then normal poles?”

She stood up, tucking the case under her arm and she stepped forward to shadow behind him like earlier, though her surly expression had shifted to one of strange determination. She was curious to get his opinion on the pole, though even she knew to take it with a grain of salt. After all, his main goal was always making a sale.

Fujiwara no Mokou
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Rinnosuke Morichika » 02 Oct 2009 12:21

As the shopkeeper rummaged in the disorganized piles of his own merchandise to find the basket his customer was seeking, he turned his head to see her handling the fishing rod. It was the sort of action he would have expected more from Reimu or Marisa than this woman, but he held his tongue. It meant she was interested, and if she was interested there was a good chance he could sell this thing to her.

"If you use it properly, I'm certain you can." Turning back to his searching, he continued to speak without missing a beat. "Goods from the outside world are always very clever and have a number of unusual properties. I would not exaggerate to say they're far more skilled with such devices than we are here in Gensokyo." A trace of the mans envy towards the outside world leaked through in the sales pitch. How he wanted to understand more about how they did the things they did!

"At any rate, if used right it should be at least as good as if it were reinforced with magic. That's my professional opinion, take it or leave it." Again, the qualifier 'If used right'. The reason this rod was even for sale was that Rinnosuke himself hadn't the foggiest clue how to use it, and for that matter did not indulge in fishing. Most of the best fishing spots in Gensokyo were, after all, also excellent places to find dangerous youkai.

"Ah, here is a basket." After much searching, he managed to find a basket that seemed distressingly normal compared to the exotic fishing rod. "So, do you like it?"
Rinnosuke Morichika
Alternate Character

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 02 Oct 2009 14:16

--

Keine was everywhere Mokou would be, she might be stalking her... but she wouldn't admit it to save her life...

Stepping into the shop, she betrayed no signs of surprise at seeing Mokou, perhaps a little bird told her she was here.. perhaps it's intuition, perhaps it's the GPS system she had installed that was tracking Mokou, perhaps it's the spider-man device that she had placed on Mokou that allowed her to track Mokou whereever and whenever or perhaps it's an inner ability that she shared a psychic link with Mokou that can make her know where Mokou is.

Whatever it is, Keine was here.. and Mokou was not slipping away that easily... even so, Keine was familiar with Rinnosuke.. and although she referred to him as Morichika-san, she viewed him as someone special... not in that way naturally, but different.

As amongst all the people she knew were interesting, Rinnosuke was the only male...

--

". . . hmmm? getting a fishing rod today, Mokou?"
Stepping into the house, Keine flashed a heartwarming smile at Mokou before walking towards the counter and leaning against it, taking in the shop's dingy atmosphere.
It may be crowded, but to Keine it was still quite a sight... it made her feel that the world outthere was much bigger than she thought it was.

"perhaps Sanae-chan would know how that works.. or maybe Yukari..."

Deciding to turn towards Rinnosuke, Keine smiled beautifully and warmly at the shopkeeper before pulling out a gift for him.

"Morichika-san, here's something for you, some tea that i'd picked."
Smiling at him, Keine pushed the small box of tea towards him and waited for a response, pulling a chair and resting her arms and head on it while waiting for him.

"Do you have anything new in stock, Morichika-san? I'd be glad to have a look!"

--
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Postby Youmu Konpaku » 02 Oct 2009 19:47

Youmu had decided to go to Kourindou's for some casual browsing. The shop usually had a few interesting items, and Youmu hoped that there might be something new since the last time she had checked. Finding the shop on the fringe of the forest, she set down and walked inside. "Good afternoon."

She hadn't expected to find anyone she knew visitng the shop as well, but it seemed that Mokou and Keine were both there to purchase something. "It seems your business is picking up for once. Perhaps luck has finally decided to shine on you today?" Walking through the shop, Youmu inspected a few things along the shelves of miscellaneous objects.

Finding nothing really interesting, she walked up to the counter. The presence of the immortal and the were-hakutaku was certainly odd, but they were almost never appart it seemed. As if one was following the other.... don't want to think about it too much. Looking to Rinnosuke, she tilted her head in bemusement. "Got anything to suggest? Keep in mind, my budget is fairly low."
Youmu Konpaku
Main Character

Postby Fujiwara no Mokou » 03 Oct 2009 13:35

[Whoah, sorry. Missed Rinno’s post x__X Otherwise I would have replied awhile ago... sorry :<]

The immortal nodded with what Rinnosuke had to say, a bit to seriously as that determined look took over more of her appearance, down to the way she held the box almost protectively. The simple truth though was not only would it replace her missing pole, but it would also provide a lot of entertainment while she figured out how to use it.

After so many years of living, just having a project to put yourself into for a while can be more of a blessing then you would have ever imagined. “Guess the normal human’s gotta do whatever they can, they got no magic…” her voice trailed off abruptly as the door opened, at first it seemed like she just didn’t want to be heard speaking in front of a stranger so casually, but it quickly turned to surprise as she saw it was Keine.

“A-ah,” Mokou’s face reddened and she reached up to rub the back of her neck with an embarrassed yawn. This was the first time she had seen Keine in Rinnosuke’s shop, and while she wanted to greet the teacher more warmly all she could do was sneak a glance at the shopkeeper and do her best to seem dignified.

“Doin’ alright?” She asked Keine, a bit stiffly, as she set the case onto one of the tables nearby, placing her hands in her pockets. She did take the time to nod towards the shopkeeper though as he presented the basket, it was normal but it certainly seemed to suit the job.

It was what happened next that made Mokou’s eyebrow began to twitch. Keine had brought a gift to the weird man, and began to chat with him as though they were quite close. The phoenix’s expression was quickly growing surly as she watched Keine’s smile being directed towards the man.

When Youmu stepped in and began to rummage about she shot the half-ghost a rather vicious and fiery glare before she turned to face the shopkeeper, forcing her hand down onto the box of the fishing pole with quite a loud noise, “Oi, how much?”

It seemed that yes, the phoenix was jealous. How quaint.

Fujiwara no Mokou
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Rinnosuke Morichika » 04 Oct 2009 00:55

Rinnosuke was quite a bit taken aback as his normally empty store was suddenly bustling, Keine from the Human Village and that half-baked half-ghost from Hakugyokurou entering at the same time. The latter he was particularly surprised about. The first time they met, as he recalled, he had made her sweep the snow off his roof to get her own lost property that had found its way into his merchandise back. It had been a good lesson for her, but he wasn't sure the gardener saw it that way.

Accepting the box of tea from Keine with a polite nod, he set it down on the counter for now. A quick glance revealed it to be of fairly good quality, which meant that Reimu would no doubt go straight for it no matter where it was hidden next time she came over.

Disinterestedly, he muttered. "I add new stock all the time. Look around for yourself." What had they come for, if they weren't looking for something specific?

He was startled out of his thoughts by Mokou slamming her hand down. Now, this was a new reaction from his mysterious regular. It took only a moment of glancing back and forth between her and Keine to put two and two together. "...I get it." He muttered more to himself. He'd just have to take it in stride for now. It's not as if he and the schoolteacher had anything in common besides a love of lecturing. He had business to do.

"You've been a good customer, so I'll sell you the rod and basket as a set." He set the basket on the nearest table, looking thoughtful for a moment. Mokou seldom had any actual money, but he had learned a long time ago she was quite handy with any number of things. Thus, she usually ended up paying in manual labor. "I do have some repairs I need to do to the shop before winter. If you can take care of that, and bring me some fish when you've figured out how to use this, we'll call it even."
Rinnosuke Morichika
Alternate Character

Postby Keine Kamishirasawa » 04 Oct 2009 02:01

"hmm?"
Keine raised an eyebrow but she didn't catch what Kourin was saying and so she shrugged and kept waiting for tea.

"But this shop is just too big... I'll wait till you have time and you can show it to me, will that do?"

Still flashing that oscar winning smile, Keine was not as dense as people might think of her right now, but she was just using it as a gauge for Mokou's level of jealousy.

Leviathan, the owner of the sin of Envy... will that power overtake Mokou? I wonder... and Morichika-san is quite a sharp person to notice it himself...

". . ."
Even so, she remained silent and shot a sidelong glance at Mokou and offered a small smile as consolation to her, but it was more of a lecturing look than a real smile... as if saying to her.

Don't get in my way, Mokou...

Satisfied, she turned back and with her back to Mokou, giggled softly to herself in silent triumph.. knowing she'll have an opportunity to tease her later today.
Keine Kamishirasawa
Alternate Character

Postby Fujiwara no Mokou » 04 Oct 2009 02:20

The heat beginning to fill the store was surprising; the light smells of smoke and fire that lingered around Mokou becoming much stronger in the crowded space. Her face was growing flushed and if anything she was looking more and more short tempered.

“Fine. I'll do whatever ya need,” she muttered under her breath, scrambling to pick up the box and the basket at the same time only to fumble her grip and almost send both falling to the ground. She was able to catch it at the last minute, wobbling in a precarious stance before pulling herself together and tucking the items beneath her arms. Her frustration was obvious; each move she made was unrefined and unnecessarily forceful.

She turned to Keine, her lips pursed in an attempt not to look upset or bothered at all but the effect was unsuccessful. Instead it gave her the look of a young child about to pout or throw a tantrum. Her stance only magnified it, lightly bent forward and her legs stanced apart with her arms coiled around the objects while staring at Keine from the edge of her bangs. She looked like someone ready to start a fight!

“Ya’ll know each other well I take it,” she had equally unsuccessful luck with trying to disguise the terseness of her voice with a forced, friendly sound. “It’s good to have friends, ‘specially close ones.” Her fiery stare switched from Keine to Rinnosuke momentarily, as if sizing him up a wee bit too closely. It certainly wasn’t the kind of look you wanted to be under for any length at time, if at all.

Fujiwara no Mokou
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Youmu Konpaku » 04 Oct 2009 02:32

That wasn't a very friendly look.... what's up with her? Youmu could only imagine why Mokou had shot her such a venomous glare when she had simply just walked into the shop. "I suppose I should find something then. Hold on a moment...."

Going back to the cluttered shelves, Youmu barely paid attention to the numerous items, paying more interest in the spectacle at the counter. What could have riled up Mokou so fast? Sure, she isn't always calm, or peaceful, and does get angry fast, but there's usually a reason! Wait, I can always do this the fast way.

Youmu quietly unsheathed Hakurouken a little and put her finger to the blade, to clear away the confusion of Mokou's anger. OH. That's why. I see. Nearly hitting her head on a pole sticking out into the aisle, Youmu stopped her contemplations. It's really none of my business. I should just pretend not to notice or something.

That was proving to be incredibly difficult to do with the sudden increase of heat throughout the store. Sweating a little, Youmu managed to find something that caught her eye. An ancient sword was resting on one of the shelves, completely covered in dust, yet Youmu could tell it was probably as sharp as the day it was forged.

Picking up the relic, she walked over to the counter, avoiding the almost visible sparks between Mokou and Rinnosuke. "Excuse me. How much does this cost?"
Youmu Konpaku
Main Character

Postby Rinnosuke Morichika » 04 Oct 2009 04:12

Rinnosuke was becoming rapidly impatient with his supposed customers. It was so warm in the shop he unconciously glanced at his heater to make sure it wasn't running. Wiping sweat from his brow, he opened one of the windows to let the breeze in. With that out of the way, he cast a withering glance at Keine. "You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?" He spoke plainly, clearly exasperated. If the village schoolteacher is playing games like this, I worry for the childrens futures.

Turning to Mokou, but not approaching her too closely... it was hot enough where he was standing... he crossed his arms. "She comes into the shop once in awhile, the same as you. That's all." This jealousy game needed to end right now, before his store caught fire.

A momentary... and welcome... distraction came in the form of Youmu. Rinnosuke hesitated for a moment... he never knew whether he should address the ghost or the human. They were theoretically the same person, so ignoring the ghost half seemed rude... he shook his head and settled for facing the gardeners human half, since she did the speaking. "As a wielder of swords, I'm sure you can gauge the value of one." He remarked dryly. "Didn't you say you were on a budget?"
Rinnosuke Morichika
Alternate Character

Next

Return to Archive