[Open] A Bridge Too Far

Locations of interest: Former Capital, Palace of the Earth Spirits, Nuclear Furnace, Remains of Blazing Hell, Underground Geyser Center
Forum rules
<<WIP>>

Re: [Open] A Bridge Too Far

Postby Mononobe no Futo » 27 Jul 2013 01:36

"T-truly, 'tis a frightening place!" Futo gasps at Parsee's explanation, looking quite terrified for her part. It seems that she has fully moved on from thinking of the hashihime as a dangerous enemy to someone whose words she can trust. It's not that the shikaisen is wishy-washy in her principles, but she's always quite candid in the way she speaks and acts.

That, too, is the reason why she appears genuinely shocked and concerned at Parsee's latest outburst. Unsure at what to say or do, she looks at Parsee for a few moments before bowing again. "It - It is so. I beseech thee to forgive me, for indeed, I do not know what thy concern is... And it must be quite tremendous, if it may plague someone such as thee." If something could bother someone who could deal with oni and other denizens of hell that she has mentioned on daily basis, even Futo is unsure if she can provide any sort of help... but she still takes a deep breath and speaks.

"I... I do not seek to interfere, my lady. That is not the Way, after all, for the art of Feng Shui is completely in harmony with nature," she stutters before clasping her hands beneath her sleeves and taking another bow. "With thy grace and permission, I would listen to what vexes thee."

"Who is this "she"...?"
Mononobe no Futo
Main Character

Postby Parsee Mizuhashi » 03 Aug 2013 08:43

The candid and frank nature of Futo did not surprise Parsee, as she had dealt with the onis who were honest to a fault for all her life - something that Parsee used to her advantage when she could, to mixed results. The bridge youkai sighed, biting back tears as she turned her back towards the shikaisen, placing her hands upon the red-lacquer railing as she looks over the water running underneath it.

"Stupid oni. Always ignoring me. Stupid, stupid." The bridge youkai grumbled under her breath, continuing to brood over her current circumstances. Futo's niceties were largely ignored by the emerald-eyed youkai, though they did not fall on deaf ears. Today was not strange day at all. It was just another day in the underground. Even the excitement of her visitors had given way to the deepening despair that had seemed to be magnified in the most recent days.

"In harmony with nature? I am the furthest from." Parsee rebuffed her companion, "There's no helping this situation. Onis hate those that lie and deceive, and I can do nothing but. No doubt that is why she's abandoned me, completely." The blonde-youkai sighed, letting her head rest against the railing now with a loud thump. It was difficult for her, to say the least, to live such a tempest-tossed life.

"She....She is so much stronger than I am. Better looking than I am. Better at...everything." Parsee kept droning on, elevating the oni to a taller and taller pedestal; she would quit only after a ten minute lauding, ending by kicking herself (yet again).
Parsee Mizuhashi
Alternate Character

Postby Mononobe no Futo » 10 Aug 2013 18:24

Futo is unsure whether to simply stand by the grieving princess without a word, to take another bow and apologize once more, or even to offer her a reassuring pat - will her hand rot and her fingers fall off if she touches such a powerful youkai, even if she seems to be a benign one? With a gulp, the shikaisen decides that it's probably better to continue reach her with words.

"This... oni; she appeareth to weigh upon thy mind quite heavily, m'lady," Futo says after clearing her throat, trying to cut into Parsee's description. She tries to look at Parsee's face, hoping to be able to judge her expression - although she qould quickly withdraw her gaze for the sake of politeness. "Were the two of thee close companions...?"

"It is not my intention to give thee a lecture or anything as such," she speaks again, leaning forward against the bridge's rails by Parsee's side. "But in this world, things of opposite nature possess the tendency to attract one another. This is even more truer with fellows and comrades. I, too, have this..." She stops for a moment as she thinks about Tojiko and their complicated genealogical relationship. "...'Tis quite a feat to explain her thoroughly, but methinks a bosom friend is a sufficient description. She is very much like thy oni; a ridiculously brilliant person." Futo chuckles. "Like a thunder in the night, and twice as cacophonous if she wisheth to be."

She's about to launch into her own story, but she quickly stops herself and nods at Parsee. "If thy fellow is such a great person, I believe that she would not turn a friend away, even if she is a terrible oni. Perhaps - perhaps we may even find her, have her talk and explain herself for not paying even the smallest visit to thee, for all this time!"
Mononobe no Futo
Main Character

Postby Parsee Mizuhashi » 17 Aug 2013 08:12

Parsee's head falls from her shoulders, landing on her crossed arms that rest upon the red lacquered bridge; from there, her chin would dig into the already taut skin as her mournful gaze turned to the water that continued under her bridge. The bridge youkai listened to Futo, responding to the questions with the same gloom that showed through so vividly in her now dull eyes.

Mononobe no Futo wrote:"This... oni; she appeareth to weigh upon thy mind quite heavily, m'lady, Were the two of thee close companions...?"

"Close companions? ... (Like she'd notice me)" The latter portion of the sentence came out in a breathless mumble, covered quickly by a third sentence, "Not at all. She wouldn't know my name if you asked, I'd wager.... (or that I even exist)." Another mumble, this one accentuated with dreadful sigh. Parsee looks over to Futo as the Shikaisen continues, managing a smile that was too weak to be worthwhile.

Mononobe no Futo wrote:"It is not my intention to give thee a lecture or anything as such ... But in this world, things of opposite nature possess the tendency to attract one another. This is even more truer with fellows and comrades. I, too, have this ... 'Tis quite a feat to explain her thoroughly, but methinks a bosom friend is a sufficient description. She is very much like thy oni; a ridiculously brilliant person ... Like a thunder in the night, and twice as cacophonous if she wisheth to be."

"Well isn't that grand that you have such a 'bosom friend.'" Snark. It was something that she learned from that damned cat. Or perhaps taught to that cat. Parsee couldn't quite remember. "I'm sure she's missing you. Can't wait to see you. Pining away for you." All the things Parsee wished for came pouring out of her mouth, couched in stabbing words.

Mononobe no Futo wrote: "If thy fellow is such a great person, I believe that she would not turn a friend away, even if she is a terrible oni. Perhaps - perhaps we may even find her, have her talk and explain herself for not paying even the smallest visit to thee, for all this time!"

"If she was such a great person, she'd do exactly what she's doing. Staying far away from me. There's no point looking for her, or talking to her, or asking for an explanation. I know it all already. I am the dust to her, just like I am to every other being in this Hell. Nothing but a mote of ash in the wind - a burned, shriveled husk of a youkai." Parsee barely managed to finish her words, holding back a choked sob as she rubbed her eyes against her arms, shaking her head.
Parsee Mizuhashi
Alternate Character

Postby Mononobe no Futo » 24 Aug 2013 18:08

Futo's face is quickly scrunched into a terrified grimace as Parsee mentioned all those things that she thought Tojiko would do. They are quite close, but to imagine her waiting at Senkai in such manner is... unsettling at best. "My... My lady, I beseech thee to not suggest that, even as a joke. Should I return to my abode and discover that Soga is, um, "pining away for me," I shall turn back and fly as far away as my strength may carry me." She waves her hand and averts her eyes away for a moment. "'Tis... 'tis a most terrifying thought, alright?"

"B-but, at any rate...!" The silver-haired girl shakes her head vigorously, trying as much to move away from that point as in shaking Parsee off her pessimism. "If thou hast not imparted a strong enough impression on thy friend such that she doth not know thy name, that only provideth thee with a blank slate to work on!" She looks at Parsee and draws a breath, deciding that she should tell the bridge princess her story. "Soga and I, we... our family were locked in a deathly feud in anything but in name when we first met," she said with a small smile. "And later, in name too. I did believe that I must hate her with all my heart, and even after we have become... friends, I still doomed her to her death."

"N-not in a way that thou mayest think! I did not murder her or anything as such, but... she is floating about in her ghostly trappings at the present, and that is because of my doing." Her expression doesn't show anything resembling guilt or regret, but there is still a long pause that follows her words as she glances toward the far end of the underground river.

"...Yet, somehow, we manage to maintain our friendship!" She smiles happily and clasps her hands together, joining her sleeves together. "W-well, 'tis an embarrassing story that I have told thee," she continued with an awkward chuckle, "but my point - my point is, I feel that thy oni is similar to her; a stupidly earnest person who can somehow get along with any person upon this earth... or under it. It is a shikaisen's intuition!"

"And thou art selling thyself short, milady; after all thou hast stood guard to defend this bridge from the onslaught of the terrible creatures of Hell. Oni are brutes that respect strength and unmatched prowess, am I correct?" Excited, Futo starts to grin and gestures about with her arms. "Thou art exactly the kind of youkai that she will appreciate! Not some broken husk - if thou art not such a noble guardian of this precarious gateway, I will perhaps try to put all my strength to vanquish someone with such a terrible power!"

She said that with the most casual and cheerful tone possible, even before adding, "If thou art still not convinced and she is as haughty as thou hast spoken, perhaps I must attempt to subdue and exterminate thy oni, roast her under an open fire for several hours, or something as such - until she admiteth that thou art a powerful youkai, the one who is most fitting to be her friend! Yes, maybe... Are oni impervious to flames...?" She brings her sleeve to her lips, mumbling as she descends into her thoughts.
Mononobe no Futo
Main Character

Postby Cirno » 27 Aug 2013 07:35

The ice fairy stirred and rubbed her head as she wobbly sat up, looking between the two others. She had hit her head a bit harder than she initially reckoned and forgot for a moment what she was doing here or who these people were--and why was it so hot? Scrunching up her face, the hot air around her and the humidity rising from the river below condensed into a cool mist.

"Ahhh... that's better." Cirno closed her eyes and lay back down, putting her hands behind her head at the beginning of a nice, long nap.

Wait a minute! She bolted back upright and looked at the two again. Oh, right, there are people. She was exploring a cave and came down here to find these two, and..!

Quickly, Cirno sprang to her feet, her wings fluttering to carry her hovering off the ground to a height comfortable for the fairy before backing a safe distance away from Parsee. If the youkai was going to attack again, she'd be ready this time! But it was so hot down here... ...Yeah, that must have been why she was caught off-guard before! It's too hot and that put her at disadvantage--this youkai should count herself lucky this time; Cirno would play along and try to keep the peace for now.

Still, she was out cold and had no idea what these guys were talking about. The old-fashioned one seemed to be really into attacking an oni, so she decided that since she hadn't attacked her before, she should probably agree with her no matter what. "Yeah! Don't worry! If you let us go, we'll find this oni and make her pay!!" She grinned triumphantly, sending an emphatic wink in the direction of Futo.
Cirno
Main Character

Postby Parsee Mizuhashi » 31 Aug 2013 06:00

On any given day, Parsee would not be so keen to pay as much attention as she had to Futo, but it was quite obvious that today was special. Parsee allowed her mind to wander a little as she listened to Futo's story, still paying attention to it with a glum expression that cloaked her inward contrast. The blonde youkai even managed a soft titter as Futo expressed her prude distaste for the possibilities that she had mentioned prior. It was a bit late for Futo to walk out of such a conversation without a further ribbing from the hashihime, but that would be for when she was finished listening in full.

"You doomed her but didn't murder her. Was it some trial she was going through?" Parsee reminisced upon the old Hell, back when her bridge saw far more foot and spiritual traffic than it did now, even with the Traffic Accident working in full. Why did it have to change to this abandoned hell? The thought made Parsee grimace, her nose wrinkling in a more visible display of her distaste. "...I'm jealous of this. To maintain such a relationship despite trials. That oaf is truthful to a fault, even to the point that she'll deny me as a friend if you asked. After all, an insipid liar and a faithful sincerety are stark contrasts to each other."

"I've guarded this Bridge for as long as I've known. Cared for it. Repaired it. Tried to keep those who would do us ill away from the City. But. I am no nobility, but envious of it. You come from a named family, and have a history. ... jealous...Well... I'd say that Oni are pretty resistant to flames, as they've taken up residence in, well, Hell. Their endurance is as legendary as their strength...Aghh.." A pained gasp escaped Parsee's lips, coupled by a shake of her head. "It's no use, really. Even if you miraculously subdued Yuugi, she'd be honorbound to tell you the truth...which we all know." Parsee had noticed a distinct fall in the surrounding temperature, turning around from her pity-party posture to watch the ice fairy rise from her impromptu slumber; she found it curious that the ice fairy would even be here, moreso that she wasn't fleeing in terror, all things considered.

"...And you. Such courage (so jealous), and such a cool temperature. ... Is it like this, out there?" The hashihime's arm extended upwards in the general direction of the Great Blowhole, though she was not quite accurate as to where the entrance was. In truth, Parsee had never seen the entrance to the Underworld or felt any of the comforts of the surface. "...." She'd pause for a moment as her lips parted to speak, frowning, "...On second thought, don't tell me."
Parsee Mizuhashi
Alternate Character

Postby Mononobe no Futo » 07 Sep 2013 15:51

"Ah, well... I... could have extended her life so that she may stay with us among the living, but I chose not to do so..." She slowly attempted to explain, but Parsee has gone on another of her pessimistic tirade. The shikaisen wishes that she can somehow convey that there is still hope for her; that if a murderer and her victim from two long-feuding families can somehow work together to brave this strange new world, someone like her could become friends with an oni or two. However, she has no idea on how to break through the hashihime's gloom and tell her all that - and besides, Cirno is slowly waking up by her side, drawing her attention away from that topic.

"Yes! Thou truly hast the insight on the wisest course of action, my lady fae!" Futo nods and clenches her fist in the fairy's direction, happy that the fairy chooses to take her side even immediately after waking up. However, what Parsee utters next causes her to put all of her oni-exterminating plan aside for a moment.

"Could it be that thou hast never gone to the surface...?" She lowered her upper body as she asked, being quite curious despite her attempts to maintain her politeness. "That in thy steadfast task to guard this bridge, thou chose to remain in this spot...?" There's a look of amazement and admiration in Futo's eyes, and she do not even try to conceal them.
Mononobe no Futo
Main Character

Postby Cirno » 11 Sep 2013 15:29

Cirno had screwed up her face to try to keep up with the conversation; having missed so much of it, it didn't really make a lot of sense to her--or at least, that was her excuse. The convection of the cool air around her falling on the river and the heat of the surrounding cave caused a somewhat pleasant (at least comparatively) breeze to wash over the area, ruffling the skirt of her dress and causing her icicle wings to idly fold, producing a sound reminiscent of a wind chime as they bumped into each other.

A prideful grin swept over the ice fairy's face as Futo praised her insight, reaffirming immediately that this person was the right one to side with. Parsee's dissuasion, however, made the fairy pout, crossing her arms. "If not fire, then maybe ice! I've beaten up lots of onis before, so don't worry about a thing! If you let us go I'll go find her and freeze her over for you!" Her confident grin did little to hide the fact that she didn't even really know what an oni was, let alone having beaten one before. She sent another wink to Futo as if saying "she'll have to let us go now!"

This expression was upset by one of surprise, however, when Parsee revealed that she had never been to the surface. Before today, Cirno had never been... well, not on the surface--she didn't even know a place like this (whereever it was) existed. Could it really be that someone could live down here for their whole life and never see outside? "You've never seen trees or frogs or the sky or snow or fireworks or the moon or cherry blossoms or...?" The list continued on several items and only stopped when the little fairy had trouble thinking of other things she liked about the surface.
Cirno
Main Character

Postby Parsee Mizuhashi » 21 Sep 2013 00:42

The cool breeze made Parsee shudder and breathe deeply, drawing the (relatively) fresh air into the farest reaches of her lungs. It made her feel light-headed and a little giddy, replicating a slightly intoxicated state. Truth be told, the cool air created by Cirno was an invigorating break from the stale air of the Underground, and was cause for Parsee to detain her visitors even longer than even she anticipated. The young(ish) blonde closed her eyes as she listened to the sound of Cirno's wings, her imagination struggling to conceive an image of the surface - of trees and the wind whistling through them, of the sun and its warmth, or even of the Moon and its solemn light - of all the things that Cirno listed off as she rambled.

"I know of the sky and the wind from the vengeful spirits that inhabit this Underworld. Even then, they are all as deceitful as they are wicked," Parsee remarked sharply, letting out an exasparated sigh, "Who is to say that they are not lying simply to torment me? They're stuck just as I am." The hashihime turned her back to Futo and Cirno, looking out over the Ancient City once more.

"I did not ask for this. To guard such a loathesome place." A weak, fragmented smile bent her lips as she steeled herself against crying out again, her chin buckling slightly, "It's not what I chose. Those that can see the sky and feel the wind keep me here." Despite both the fairy and shikaisen's best intentions, their words only furthered her envy.
Parsee Mizuhashi
Alternate Character

Previous

Return to Underworld