[Open] Border of Waterfall Reverie

Locations: Moriya Shrine, Tengu Village, Kappa Village, Giant Toad's Pond, The Waterfall
Forum rules
Youkai Mountain is easily the most massive mountain that can be found in Gensokyo. The mountain is so large that the beings inhabiting it seem to be largely segregated. At the base of the mountain live the peaceful Kappa, an semi-aquatic race with a fondness of engineering and architecture. Further up the mountain, one can find the airborne Tengu, who live in a village near the incredible waterfall. However, the most notable structure that can be found on the youkai mountain lies at the very top. Relatively new to Gensokyo, the Moriya Shrine simply appeared one day along with a sizeable lake. This shrine is home to the Goddesses of snake and frog, Kanako Yasaka and Suwako Moriya. Suwako, the original goddess of the shrine, has recently been lying dormant while Kanako roams free, a result of Kanako subverting her in battle. The keeper of the shrine is a girl named Sanae Kotiya. Sanae serves a similar role to Reimu Hakurei, and in fact attempted to establish the Moriya Shrine as the dominant place of worship in Gensokyo before being stopped by Reimu and Marisa. Both the Kappa and Tengu, however, to seem to be starting to recognize the sovergnity of the Moriya Shrine.

[Open] Border of Waterfall Reverie

Postby Youmu Konpaku » 04 May 2013 10:37

Youmu does not really know why it is this sight that has drawn her in today. For some reason she had wanted to see the giant waterfall, but now that she is here, she seems to have forgotten what gave her this reason.

The falling water can be a mesmerizing sight, droplets hanging in the air with faint multicoloured bands of refracted light shimmering through the hazy mist. The little half ghost does not know what causes them, but rainbows are a very pretty sight, when you live in a place that never has them.

The young gardener had used flight to reach this place, but the last steps she walks, right up to the edge of the water. She looks down at her reflection on the quivering surface of water. The cataract makes it's power felt in more than just the distant roaring sound of a river falling.

It is kind of warm enough today, maybe I can soak my feet in the water.

A small distance away, the grass looks inviting and soon the silver haired little girl is sitting comfortably, with her feet dangling in the lake at the bottom of the falls. The clear water is colder than expected, but it also gives her a soothing sensation.
Youmu Konpaku
Main Character

Re: [Open] Border of Waterfall Reverie

Postby Momiji Inubashiri » 04 May 2013 19:18

Above Youkai Mountain and the surrounding forest, five white wolf tengu flew in formation, scanning the area for anyone who would . At the front flew Momiji Inubashiri, her eyes scanning ahead of the group. Thus, she was caught off-guard when one of her subordinates called out, "I can see someone! At the base of the waterfall!"

Redirecting the patrol, Momiji looked for herself as they approached the watefall. She relaxed slightly when she saw that the person appeared to be harmless. Next to the lake sat a young, silver-haired girl, her feet soaking in the water. However, hearing the swishing of brandishing weapons behind her, Momiji's face hardened. Stopping suddenly and turning around, she saw that two of the younger guards seemed ready to fight.

"Stand down!" the leader of the guards growled, glaring at her two subordinates. As they complied, she continued harshly, "She's shown no signs of hostility, and we do not want to provoke unneeded hostilities." Satisfied, Momiji turned back towards the waterfall. "However," she said to herself, "that girl is awfully close." Looking over her shoulder, she raised her voice and told the other tengu, "I am going to go down there and speak with her to make sure she doesn't cause any trouble, intentionally or otherwise! You four stay back, but keep watch! If a fight starts, I want you to report back to the village! If I'm defeated and she heads for the village, I don't want the rest of the guard to be caught flat-footed! Understood!?"

"Yes ma'am!" the four white wolves replied.

"Good," Momiji said to herself, before falling straight towards the forest.

It took longer to get there, this way, but Momiji reasoned that simply flying down at the lake at full speed would alarm the girl. So instead she had descended into the forest and was making her way towards the base of the waterfall. After only a couple minutes, the guardswoman could see the waterfall through the gaps in the trees. Landing, she walked out into the clearing on foot, her shield arm hanging at her side, resting her sword on her shoulder.

"Hello!" she called to the girl, allowing a relaxed smile onto her face. While she disliked allowing herself to relax while on patrol, she found that failing to do so when communicating with those who were blatently non-hostile usually provoked hostilities or fear. Momiji had not stopped her two subordinates just to scare this girl herself.
Momiji Inubashiri
Main Character

Postby Aya Shameimaru » 11 May 2013 20:33

Unfortunately for Momiji, there's one who wasn't a part of the patrol and who also spotted the lone gardener half-ghost at the waterfall. No sooner than a few seconds after Momiji's greeting, a sudden gust picked up, scattering the waterfall's spray through the air as Aya made a flash landing. Brushing her skirt down, the tengu reporter gave a wide grin towards the duo in the clearing. "Heya Momiji and Youmu." she called out as she waltzed over to Youmu, shucking her geta to the side and joining her in the dip in the waterfall's basin.

"So what are you doing here, Youmu? Didn't expect to see you up here. Is Yuyuko trying to get food from the mountains or something?" she asks the half-ghost, Aya's hands straying towards her pouch of journalistic material as she idly kicks a leg under the water.

Looking back over at Momiji, the reporter waved over at the wolf-tengu. "Hey, Momiji! Come and soak your feet. The water's fine! Besides, the others can patrol well enough."
Aya Shameimaru
Main Character

Postby Youmu Konpaku » 17 May 2013 15:22

Leaning against a strange slightly glowing cushion, the little girl is humming quietly to herself, when a voice breaks her out of her reverie. She turns her head to look up at the approaching woman. Who has wolf ears on her head, that make her look kind of cute. Youmu notes the openly displayed weapon, but is easily taken in by the stranger's friendly smile and returns one as well. After all, she is never without her daisho herself and the two masterwork blades are in their proper place on her back even now.

"Hello!" she greets in return and is about to get up, when the sudden movement of something big and fast enough to cause a gust of wind startles her. The young half ghost is on her feet in a flash, gripping the hilts of her blades with her small hands and ready to help the cat? dog? wolf? eared woman out against the unexpected attacker, while her strange pillow shoots up into the air to hover right next to her.

"..Aya?" She stares a bit dumbfounded at the crow tengu and watches her take a seat right next to her. A bit slow to relay, Youmu lets her hands drop again and gives other woman a slightly confused glance. Momiji .. looks like Aya knows her. Relaxing again, the little gardener sits down to once more dangle her feet in the soothing water. "Hello."

"I don't really know, but I just felt like visiting the waterfall today. People kept talking about it and I wanted to see for myself, I guess. It really is as big as I heard and pretty too." She blushes a little at the mention of her Mistress."Umm .. Yuyuko-sama did not send me here to get food if you mean that. I am just here on my own and the water looked inviting, so I decided to soak my feet a little and watch the rainbows. You and Momiji are welcome to join of course." The little girl gives the white wolf tengu a somewhat timid wave.
Youmu Konpaku
Main Character

Postby Momiji Inubashiri » 23 May 2013 04:39

Momiji was glad to see that the green-clad girl was not hostile. It would be preferable if no conflict occurred. Then, out of nowhere, something landed nearby. Without hesitation, the guardswoman dropped into a fighting stance, shield raised and sword drawn back, before recognizing the newcomer. She was about to say something to calm the young girl, but then realized she appeared to know Aya, so the risk of a fight breaking out was averted. As she glanced at the girl, Momiji got a good look at her swords, and the fact that she appeared to have a... Ghost? Phantom? Something like that - with her.

Allowing herself to relax again, the white wolf guard rested her sword on her shoulder once more. However, this time her expression was one of exasperation, and her gaze was directed straight at her fellow tengu. Not interested in an argument, though, she shook her head and put aside the harsh words she was considering. Instead, she opted to simply reply, "Hello, Aya. Perhaps I will join you." Momiji did, however, want to observe the girl in green a little more before she gave the order for the rest of her squad to resume their patrol.

Walking over, she crouched down a short distance from the other two and did her best to start up a conversation. "I suppose the waterfall is quite beautiful. I haven't really looked at it for a while. I guess after seeing it every day for a few centuries I stopped paying much attention to it," the guardswoman remarked, still somewhat wary of the girl next to her.
Momiji Inubashiri
Main Character

Postby Aya Shameimaru » 01 Jun 2013 18:28

Aya kicked her feet in the water as she leaned back to look up at the waterfall cascading down into the basin. "Yeah, the waterfalls on Youkai Mountain are fairly big indeed. This isn't even the biggest one though, the biggest is over that way, "a finger lazily pointing towards the intended target, "about maybe 2 minutes away." By Aya's speed, which meant probably more like 10-20 minutes by anyone else who flew. "This one's nice though," the crow tengu continued, "there's plenty of fish in the water and down the streams that lead away from the pool."

And indeed there were plenty of fish, ranging from trout to carp and in between. Even still the waters were clear to the bottom of the basin. "We could always catch a few and have a sort of lunch. Wouldn't be too hard to get supplies back from Tengu village." The reporter turned to look at Momiji with her head tilted. "Oy, Momiji, when was the last time you took a break? Don't overwork yourself ya know. Won't do to have you all stressed out. The hair on your tail could fall out." Aya teased her fellow tengu as she flicked a bit of water at the wolf.

Aya didn't need to try to see the wariness that Momiji had against Youmu, but the gardener of the dead was fairly harmless as long as you didn't try to hurt Yuyuko, to Aya's opinion at least. Looking up at the patrol tengu still in the air, she made a dismissive gesture at them. "Go on and continue patrol. Momiji's taking an enforced rest right now!" she shouted to them, grinning cheekily at Momiji.
Aya Shameimaru
Main Character

Postby Youmu Konpaku » 12 Jun 2013 19:30

The white haired woman with the fluffy tail seems nice, even though she keeps giving her a strange look. Despite often serving in a similar function, the little half ghost does not really recognize the intent behind it. Her method of identifying potential intruders is highly confrontational after all, but not all that good at distinguishing visitors from trespassers.

The one Aya called Momiji seems to be nice and so Youmu is happy to have her join. Causing small splashes with her wiggling toes, the little girl gives the wolf eared tengu a friendly smile. "That would be nice."

With the conversation back on the waterfall she focuses turn her attention towards it again. Sounds like Momiji is an old friend of Aya, or at least similar in age. Multiple centuries are an incomprehensible amount of time for Youmu. "Umm .. I'm not nearly that old, so everything is still new to me. There are no waterfalls in Hakugyokurou. I am glad to see this one."

The young gardener turns towards Aya. "There is an even bigger waterfall?" She gives the one nearby a quick glance. "I think this one is fine for now. I found it first and I it is very relaxing. It is also kind of pretty." She blushes a little and watches the fishes in the water for a moment. "Maybe I could come here some day and fish to start a pond at home. If that is allowed of course." The diligent little half ghost gives the two tengu a glance and watches Aya tease Momiji, as well as dismiss a patrol of tengu.

Huh? She had not noticed them before, but this is unfamiliar territory, so it should not be surprising. Still, it shows Youmu that she has yet much to learn. Curiosity however compels her to ask, "What is an enforced rest?"
Youmu Konpaku
Main Character

Postby Momiji Inubashiri » 21 Jun 2013 19:57

Momiji chuckled at the young girl’s words, her naivety calming the guardswoman’s prior fears. And yet, Momiji’s attention was caught by the mention of a place by the name of Hakugyokurou. She was about to inquire further, when she was interrupted by Aya. As the green-clad girl commented about taking some fish to start a fish pond at her home, Momiji responded, “I do not believe that there would be any issue with you taking a few fish, as long as you do not scale the mountain to do so.”

The guardswoman’s entire body tensed at Aya’s teasing, and she raised her free hand to keep water from splashing in her eyes. Formally, Momiji replied, “I take more time off than you may believe. I simply spend most of my free time training, so perhaps you hadn’t noticed.” Despite her efforts to remain calm, as Aya gave orders to the rest of the guardswoman’s patrol, Momiji nearly lost it. Standing up forcefully, she gestured to her patrol to come over. Taking a dozen or so steps away from her companions, her countenance returned to that of a soldier as her subordinates landed in front of her.

“Continue the patrol. I will remain here as an observer, and I will return as soon as I finish. If any outsiders are spotted, follow protocol,” Momiji instructed sternly. With a glare at the two who had been ready to strike earlier, she added, “Do not engage unless it proves necessary.”

Recognizing that their commander was in a foul mood in spite of her efforts to suppress it, the guards exchanged a worried glance, but they replied in the affirmative, before flying off to resume their patrol. Still seething from the reporter’s words, the white wolf tengu leaned against a nearby tree, planting her sword in the ground, within easy reach.
Momiji Inubashiri
Main Character

Postby Aya Shameimaru » 29 Jun 2013 21:14

Aya chuckled as she watched Youmu. So young to the world, so naive. "You should try and see if you can get one made in Hakugyokurou. Even a small one would be fun to watch sometimes." she told the half-ghost, treading her feet through the waters as well.

"Oh yeah, there's quite a larger one too. There's many waterfalls all over the mountain, so it's easy to find it. As for fishing? Sure come on anytime, we've got lots of fish to spare after all." The journalist is easily amused by the reactions of Momiji. After all, if all the wolf did was train and patrol, there wasn't much so-called 'relaxing' actually being done! "An enforced rest, is making sure you don't do anything like training, or working, or patrolling, or anything like that. Just rest. go fishing, maybe play some shogi or go. Things that aren't your usual routine." She finished looking at Youmu. "like going to a waterfall."

Looking over at her fellow tengu against the tree, Aya waved her over. "Come on, Momiji. Soak your feet. It's not comfortable having one person left out of the fun!"
Aya Shameimaru
Main Character

Postby Youmu Konpaku » 06 Jul 2013 03:07

Ah, it's nice to hear that she would be allowed to take some of the fish here. "Thank you. I'll ask Yuyuko-sama what she thinks about the idea then. But .. umm .. scale the mountain?" That had been a bit surprising. Well she had actually done that once, in order to find out what was wrong with the weather and why the ghosts were being killed. And by whom. That evil Celestial.

She turns to watch the teasing byplay and edges warily away a little from the splash-happy crow tengu. Uwah! Momiji-san looks really angry now for some reason. W-what is going on with these two? With a mistress as whimsical as Yuyuko, Youmu has lost most of her ability to get worked up over something like being pre-empted that. In fact it is nice when Yuyuko-sama does something like that, rather than do something that is completely counter to her poor servant's intentions.

But now Momiji is staying away with an unhappy expression on her face, angry enough to push her sword into the ground. The young half ghost shudders slightly at this display and turns towards Aya for a bit, to reply.

"Make a waterfall?" The silver haired girl's voice carries an obvious note of confusion. "I didn't know you can do that. It would surely be nice to have a small one though." Her small feet move slowly through the water.

"Maybe I can visit the larger waterfall too some day. It sounds interesting." The diligent gardener smiles a little. "Oh .. I see. Do you have to enforce that often? I'm glad to have come for a visit and see this waterfall, but I'm not sure it counts as enforced rest."

She also turns her attention back to the fluffy tailed tengu. "Umm .. am I in the way? I'm sorry if that is the case. I could leave you two alone if you like. I have had some time to watch the waterfall already and could come back again at a later point."
Youmu Konpaku
Main Character

Postby Momiji Inubashiri » 19 Jul 2013 21:36

Momiji’s entire body tensed as she tried to calm herself. Despite how long she had known the crow tengu, Aya still managed to get under her skin. The guardswoman, however, was saddened slightly at how her own irritability seemed to be dampening Youmu’s spirits. Pushing down her pride and her anger, she lifted her sword from the ground, strolled calmly over, and once again sat down next to the young girl, planting her sword next to her.

“My apologies,” Momiji said, beginning to unstrap her shield from her arm, “I take issue with others going over my head in giving orders to my soldiers. Especially when we’re not even in the same chain of command. I let my temper slip.” Placing the shield next to her sword, the white wolf tengu reached down to take off her geta and her socks. “Perhaps Aya is right, though. Maybe I do need to rest some,” she added, obviously a little irritated with admitting that the reporter was right. “You’re name is Youmu, right? I am Momiji Inubashiri of the tengu guard – it’s nice to meet you,” Momiji added, smiling at the young girl.
Momiji Inubashiri
Main Character

Postby Aya Shameimaru » 27 Jul 2013 07:08

Aya gave a shrug at the white wolf's dressing down of herself. After all if someone's gonna give orders they should give it, not let someone else do it for them and get mad because they weren't fast enough. Turning to the half-ghost, Aya grinned cheerfully as Momiji joined the other two to rest. "Yeah a watefall! They're not that hard to make, just need a flow of water that goes down an incline, and a way to keep it flowing. Doesn't Hakugyokurou have a river or something for all the water souls?"

That'd actually be rather interesting. An undead river for an undead land. What kinds of things could be found there perhaps? Lost and forgotten fish of old? The skeletal remains of those whom had been meals for humans and youkai? The possibilities were endless!

Looking between the trio, Aya tilted her head before she stood up suddenly. "Ah, I know what's missing! Some tea! Give me two tics and I'll be right back!" Before any other thing could be said or done, the reporter was off like a flash, and soon enough was back maybe 30 seconds later, a kettle in one hand and three teacups in another. "Alright, Just gimme a few minutes to get this all set up."

Several minutes later and a kettle was on a makeshift firepit with tea brewin!
Aya Shameimaru
Main Character

Postby Youmu Konpaku » 31 Jul 2013 23:45

Uwah! She's so tense! Youmu gives the woman with the fluffy white tail a somewhat alarmed look, trying to figure out if she needs to get ready to defend herself. The little girl lets out a quiet sigh of relief, when Momiji relaxes and sits down next to her again.

"T-that's okay. You do not have to apologize for that." She shoots Aya a quick glance. "I can understand .. a-and I know how Aya can be sometimes." Aya does these careless things even to strangers after all. She watches the white wolf tengu remove her footwear, a small amount of curiosity on her face. With a faintly embarrassed blush, the young half ghost quickly directs her attention to Momiji proper. "Good rest is important, to keep your health up. I'm Youmu Konpaku. It's nice to meet you, Momiji." The silver haired half ghost smiles back timidly.

Turning to Aya, when the crow tengu addresses her, Youmu think about it for a moment. "Uh .. the only strong enough incline I know of would be the stairs. I'm not going to make a waterfall out of that." Yuyuko-sama would probably love the idea though. I have to make sure she never hears it. A soft smile plays over Youmu's features for a moment. With her always floating, she wouldn't even run the danger of getting wet feet. "We do have a but of a river area, but it's not very lively." And it's a bit close to the Saigyou Ayakashi.

"Oh! Yes, tea would be-" And Aya is gone, leaving Youmu to blink in confusion and give Momiji a bit of a strange look. "She always does that, doesn't she? Never waits for the opinion of others." A bit like Yuyuko-sama, only more aggravating, if Momiji's reactions are an indicator.

The small servant watches Aya prepare the makeshift tea with interest. The little gardener's mistress had taught her how to pour delicious tea, but that was with the amenities of the mansion's kitchen. Now she is curious to see how Aya prepares tea without that.
Youmu Konpaku
Main Character

Postby Momiji Inubashiri » 10 Aug 2013 07:53

Momiji let out a sigh as she dipped her feet into the water. “Ah… You were right, Aya, it is quite nice,” she remarked, inhaling deeply. Leaning back and using her arms to prop herself up, the white wolf appeared greatly relieved as she began to let her guard down. Everyone seems lost in thought for a moment, before Aya snapped them all out of it by suggesting tea. As Aya flew off, Momiji sighed, “Yes, Aya, tea would be great,” fully aware that the crow was long gone.

“She can be impulsive, yes,” Momiji replied, cracking her neck lazily. In the time it took the guardswoman to take another deep breath, the crow tengu already made her return and started setting up to make tea. “That was fast, Aya,” the guardswoman remarked, “I hope you didn’t forget anything,” before going quiet once again. With a glance over at Youmu, she noticed, if not for the first time, the two swords strapped to the young girl’s back. “I see you’re a swordswoman, Miss Konpaku. It’s rare to see humans bothering with such a weapon these days. Seems that everyone prefers magic since the spellcard rules got introduced. Perhaps you and I could spar sometime?” Momiji inquired, intrigued at the possibility of being able to train with someone unfamiliar.
Momiji Inubashiri
Main Character

Postby Aya Shameimaru » 24 Aug 2013 03:51

Aya's tea-making wasn't anything extraordinary. Scoop up some water from the waterfall into the pot, put it onto the firepit suspended by a makeshift spit going through the handle. Sitting back down at the waterfall's pond edge, the reporter let the pot rise to a boil as she listened to the interactions between Momiji and Youmu. "I don't think I forget anything, Momiji. Feel free to tell me if I have though." After all inside each cup was a small bag of tea leaves ready to steep in the soon-to-be-hot water.

"Careful about that, Momiji. Youmu's a pretty fast swordswoman. Even i have trouble trying to dodge her when she's being serious. Make sure you've got a few bandages handy and whatnot." Aya said, cutting into the conversation again as she added a bit more wood to the fire.
Aya Shameimaru
Main Character

Next

Return to Youkai Mountain