[Open] Mystic Pair

Locations: Moriya Shrine, Tengu Village, Kappa Village, Giant Toad's Pond, The Waterfall
Forum rules
Youkai Mountain is easily the most massive mountain that can be found in Gensokyo. The mountain is so large that the beings inhabiting it seem to be largely segregated. At the base of the mountain live the peaceful Kappa, an semi-aquatic race with a fondness of engineering and architecture. Further up the mountain, one can find the airborne Tengu, who live in a village near the incredible waterfall. However, the most notable structure that can be found on the youkai mountain lies at the very top. Relatively new to Gensokyo, the Moriya Shrine simply appeared one day along with a sizeable lake. This shrine is home to the Goddesses of snake and frog, Kanako Yasaka and Suwako Moriya. Suwako, the original goddess of the shrine, has recently been lying dormant while Kanako roams free, a result of Kanako subverting her in battle. The keeper of the shrine is a girl named Sanae Kotiya. Sanae serves a similar role to Reimu Hakurei, and in fact attempted to establish the Moriya Shrine as the dominant place of worship in Gensokyo before being stopped by Reimu and Marisa. Both the Kappa and Tengu, however, to seem to be starting to recognize the sovergnity of the Moriya Shrine.

Re: [Open] Mystic Pair

Postby Rika » 12 Apr 2013 23:47

Sanae's reaction was just about the last thing Rika had been expecting after Kanako's ominous appearance, the shrine maiden's unrestrained excitement taking the engineer by complete surprise. She had been expecting a stern warning from one of the residents of the Moriya Shrine, maybe even an attack if they believed she was trespassing for whatever reason. Instead the only thing she got from the gleeful shrine maiden was a desire to ride in Evil Eye Sigma. It didn't take much imagination to see why letting Sanae pilot a destructive war machine she had never even seen before was a horrible idea.

Now all Rika had to do was convince the miko of that, and she had a feeling that would be easier said than done.

"Um..." The engineer murmured uncertainly, glancing towards Kanako and silently hoping the goddess would refuse her shrine maiden's request. Unfortunately she was fine with it, as long as Sanae didn't stray too far from Youkai Mountain, which meant it was up to Rika to dissuade the eager girl. "W-Well, the controls are pretty complicated, so I don't think you should drive it..." She replied at last, knowing that letting the miko have things her way could prove disastrous.

At the same time however, the engineer could see how much Sanae wanted this, and felt bad about denying her this opportunity. "But you could ride in the cockpit with me, if you want to!" Rika added quickly, offering what she believed to be a suitable compromise and hoping it would be enough to satisfy the shrine maiden's fascination with Evil Eye Sigma.
Rika
Main Character

Postby Konngara » 14 Apr 2013 17:51

Konngara frowned slightly at Kanako's response, her normal calm look turned into a serious glare. It felt as though Konngara was staring daggers at the goddess. She kept silent for a while, thinking of what to say in a situation like this. Konngara was doing her utmost best to keep calm as well, not wanting her other side to arise. She then spoke up . her voice still eerily calm.

"Who says I am worried about anyone on the mountain, goddess? I am more concerned about the citizen's of my domain if anything more, unless you are somehow oblivious to the fact that there are others who dwell in my domain. If said reactor were to go off unsuspectingly, the mountain would not be the only thing harmed. My domain and the Ancient City would be heavily impacted. Those in hell may be hated, but they are still beings nonetheless."

Konngara let out a sigh and her legs reformed after a moment, having a seat on the ground and meditating to calm herself. Although it was probably unknown to Kanako, she had to keep calm and in control like this. She would not be responsible if her other side came a trashed the place.
Konngara
Free Character

Postby Elis » 16 Apr 2013 16:37

Sanae's reaction to the large machine honestly surprised Elis, she hadn't expected the shrine maiden to be so... childish. So very childish. It was rather... disappointing really. Useful yes, but disappointing. This was most certainly not what she expected from someone with the same position as that blasted red-white that defeated her all that time ago, but this did mean she didn't have to worry about her being aggressive. A strange bonus, but a bonus none the less.

The Innocent Devil frowned when Kanako referred to her and Konngara as 'vagrants'. While she didn't care for the astral knight, she didn't appreciate being though of so lowly. Though this was a goddess, so such things probably should have been expected. Her frown changed to a ever so slight smirk as her eyes flicked between the two closest to her, it would seem there was some hostility floating around, perhaps this could be amusing?

Turning to face Kanako fully, she gave a deep bow. “I-i apologise for the intrusion. From what the other said, as well as your own words I can only assume that you are The Goddess of the mountain, and as such it is an honour to meet you.” Straightening herself, she lightly scratched her cheek with a finger. “I have to admit, you do meet the image I had of you... and truthfully you have me intrigued. I did not know about a reactor in the underground, nor have I been there myself.”
Elis
Main Character

Postby Sanae Kochiya » 17 Apr 2013 23:33

Although it had not been the exact answer Sanae had hoped for, Rika's suggestion would act as a good enough consolation to prevent the young shrine maiden from wanting to settle things with a spellcard battle. After all, that's how most disputes were resolved in Gensokyo, right? Thinking about it, the young engineer did have a point. Attempting to pilot a super advanced piece of machinery that she had not even glanced at a manual for would probably not end well for her or the mountain.

After pondering her options for a fraction of a second, Sanae would reply with a strong nod. "Alright! I'll leave it in your hands then!" Before anyone could even take a moment to blink, the blue-white shrine maiden had already taken the initiative to jump inside the large tank. What she was met with was something she would never have thought to see in Gensokyo, perhaps not even back home in the real world. As much as she wanted to see just what this lovely tank could do, Sanae made sure to be patient and wait for it's pilot.

She could only hope that her patience would hold out long enough.
Ctrl+F5 to see a new avatar! (Special thanks to Soga)
Sanae Kochiya
Alternate Character

Postby Kanako Yasaka » 18 Apr 2013 22:01

Kanako watched Sanae clamber into the gigantic tank, before turning back to Elis and Konngara. She would silently summon her onbashira to her side. The silent sentinels, some sixteen meters tall, flew across the grounds of Moriya shrine before lining up just behind the goddess in a neat row. They made absolutely no sound as they assembled, firmly planting themselves in the ground, causing it to shake very slightly. Kanako folded her arms beneath her breasts, looking the pair over quietly with a thoughtful expression before speaking.

"Your intrusion is forgiven, if you are here to give faith and friendship to the Moriya shrine. But if your horned friend here wants to stir up trouble, trouble she will have."

Kanako adopted a slight smirk, a playfully violent expression.

"That said, I reiterate: the reactor is of no threat to anyone down below. Unless they choose to meddle with it, I cannot imagine it will come to harm. Perhaps it will assuage your fears, Konngara, if I were to give you a personal tour? I don't recall being this rude at your Moon Viewing ceremony, so you'll understand if I'm a little defensive when you come up here in so demanding a fashion."
Kanako Yasaka
Alternate Character

Postby Rika » 24 Apr 2013 20:35

Despite the fact that Sanae had agreed to Rika's compromise, she still didn't feel the least bit comfortable leaving the excited girl alone inside Evil Eye Sigma. It could be very difficult to resist temptation in a situation like this, and the engineer had a feeling that Kanako might blame her if anything went wrong. "Wait for me!" Rika called out as the shrine maiden leaped into the flying tank, frantically climbing up the side of the vehicle and hopping into the cockpit to join her passenger.

Despite being designed for a child sized pilot, the inside of the war machine was spacious enough for Sanae to comfortably stand up. Also fortunate for the miko was the fact that there was room for her behind the pilot's seat, allowing her to watch the operation of the tank from over Rika's shoulder if she wished. "I didn't design Evil Eye Sigma with passengers in mind, so I hope this isn't too uncomfortable for you..." Rika remarked apologetically as she took her usual place in the pilot's seat, briefly glancing over the various controls before her. Sanae might have been oblivious to what they did, but for the engineer flying this war machine seemed as natural as breathing.

"Are you sure it's okay to leave while they're in the middle of this?" She asked, glancing back at the shrine maiden. Rika hadn't caught too much of the conversation, but the steadily increasing tension was still quite obvious to her...
Rika
Main Character

Postby Konngara » 24 Apr 2013 21:49

Konngara meditated for a few moments, she had heard what Kanako had said though. She did not mean any harm to anyone in the shrine, but her other side would if things escalated too much. She remained quiet while meditating, her focus and ability to restrain herself taking priority. Given a few moments Konngara's eyes opened and she calmly spoke.

"I...apologize, Lady Kanako, It gets real troublesome to control my temper at times. I do not need a tour, I will take your word for it that things will be safe." Konngara then turned to the shrine maiden and the girl who had been riding the tank. "Your shrine maiden is quite an...interesting one. She acts as if such things are new to her." She chuckled a bit to herself at the shrine maiden's behavior. "The time at the celebration was most enjoyable, was it not? I do apologize for my mood today."

"Do you mind if I visit for a short while, I think it only fair to return how generous of a host I was." Konngara gave a quick bow to Kanako.
Konngara
Free Character

Postby Elis » 25 Apr 2013 08:34

Faith and friendship? Yes, that would be what a being of faith would want isn't it. Well, I suppose I can comply with that, wouldn't want to anger someone of this calibre. “well, a shrine is for such things is it not? I would love to be on good terms with this shrine, who wouldn't?” faith... didn't I hear something about this shrine trying to overthrow the other? Maybe I can use that, stir up some... old arguments... that'll have to wait though, more pressing matters are at hand.

“uh... if it would not be too inconvenient, would you mind if I accompanied you? Your shrine maiden seems... otherwise occupied.” Elis glanced to Evil Eye Sigma. Oh how she would love to take a proper look at that thing, find out what makes it 'tick'. But it would be rude to spoil the fun of a child, even a child like individual, plus it would be in bad taste to ignore the one she actually wanted to 'befriend' as it were. If she could get the support of this place then life for the Innocent Devil would be made much simpler.

...though she was still hesitant. She tried this once before and let someone into her heart, and now they had left a permanent scar, she missed that person, she actually considered her a friend, and that was not a good thing. Not at all. She would have to guard herself from making the same mistake again, she got too attached last time, something she will make sure is not repeated.
Elis
Main Character

Postby Sanae Kochiya » 30 Apr 2013 05:05

One had to wonder if Sanae's neck would suffer from whiplash given how quick she was to change the direction of her head while waiting within the tank. Despite how overly excited she was, Sanae did well not to touch anything. Having already positioned her in the "back seat" of the tank, Sanae anxiously waited for the young engineer to take her rightful seat as pilot. Thankfully it seemed that the young wind priestess would not have to wait long as she saw Rika's small figure into the tank.

In response to Rika's words, Sanae shook her head furiously to deny such a thing. "Not at all! In fact, I was prepared to be much more cramped then this. For my first time in a tank, it's very comfortable!" Trying not to come off as too excited (as late as it may have been to do this), Sanae would quietly and contently watch as Rika went about preparing. She had many many many questions for the young pilot in regards to her and the machine, but she would hold off on asking for now. There would plenty of time for that later.

Sanae's deep focus on Rika would break momentarily upon hearing her query about Lady Kanako and the two...guests. In response to Rika's question, the shrine maiden would give off a kind smile, befitting that of a benevolent god. "Lady Kanako can handle this much. As her shrine maiden and someone who knows her personally, I have faith that she'll be fine," Sanae replied.

There was not even a speck of falsehood or doubt in the words of the living god. When it came to both of the shrine's goddesses, Sanae couldn't help but think this way. "With that said..." Sanae's saint-like smile would quickly find itself shifting back to her bright, eager expression that she had moments prior.

"Let's launch!"
Sanae Kochiya
Alternate Character

Postby Kanako Yasaka » 30 Apr 2013 17:28

Kanako looked between the two once again, as if dubious. Still, they were being deferential, which really was rather how she preferred things. Best they not get any funny ideas about her shrine and what was going on here. She had enough problems without strangers snooping around and getting into her business. But returning hospitality was certainly not out of the question, and she might garner some enjoyment from the whole affair after all. She spoke to Elis first, as they walked back towards the shrine.

"I don't believe we've met before? Your wings look familiar, but I couldn't begin to guess at your name. Are you new to Gensokyo?"

The goddess didn't really know or care where Elis was from, much more interested in if she was a genuine threat. She certainly didn't seem like one, but without knowing anything about her or her reputation she was an unknown factor that had to be accounted for. So Kanako would treat her with polite indifference until she had something to go on. Kanako tilted her head to address Konngara, a curious look in her eye.

"Sanae can take care of herself, she has my full trust and faith. And yes, you are both invited for a brief time."

Kanako perhaps put too much stress on the word brief, but without knowing what Elis was after and what Konngara might be planning, she was reluctant to let them linger too long, not without Sanae or Suwako around. She could likely handle them herself, but really, she prefers to avoid trouble ahead of time.
Kanako Yasaka
Alternate Character

Postby Konngara » 16 May 2013 04:22

Konngara had noticed to emphasis on the word brief in Kanako's statement, chuckling a bit. She was aware that she was being cautious, but to put that much emphasis on a word, she must have wanted her to go. Konngara just gave her usual calm gaze to the goddess and said.

"I suppose I should give you an apology, I am only concerned for my people is all. You'd understand, wouldn't you?" She looked over to the young vampire next to her and said. "You should tell the goddess that you want to become friends, the shrine maiden as well." Konngara turned away and laughed, it was rather odd considering she hardly did so. But she turned her attention back to Kanako and had a seat.

"So, how go your endeavors to obtain faith here in Gensoukyou, are things to your liking?" Konngara poured some sake into the dish she always carried, lightly sipping it. "It must be tough for you adjusting in this land. I always have to keep track of what goes on here, that's why I know so much." Konngara continued to sip sake, "But, I am sure you will find Gensoukyou rather peaceful when things don't dive into chaos."
Konngara
Free Character

Postby Elis » 24 May 2013 13:45

A small smile graced Elis' lips as she looked at Kanako, inwardly she was sighing. She had a high suspicion of who her wings reminded the Goddess off, and that was beginning to become tiresome. Still, needs must, so answer she shall. T'would be rude otherwise after all. “Indeed, we have never had the pleasure of meeting, though I believe there would be only a handful of people like me in Gensokyo, my name is Elis, and you are correct in assuming that I'm new here. I only recently left my homeland of Makai, so things are all so new to me here.” she gave a slight bow as she said this, that should be enough information for the Goddess for now, if she had more questions then well... they would probably be answered.

Whether those answers would be entirely true or not would be another matter.

The Innocent Devil's eyebrow twitched when Konngara mentioned the word 'friends', she didn't show the distaste for the idea, but it was running through her mind. This horned one was becoming rather the irritant, Elis' interest in her was beginning to wane from it's original state now. Though her words were technically true, in a way, that didn't mean she had to like the idea. “Yes... well, that was kind of a given...

Though her eyebrow raised slightly at Kanako's next statement. What's this? She... she doesn't trust me. She is weary of my presence here. Oh this is interesting, perhaps I could have a bit of fun here after all, I wonder what she is suspicious of exactly. Probably my appearance-no. No, she doesn't know who I am, she must think I could pose a threat! Oh what a sharp eye you have there. Let us see how this continues, we'll see if your suspicions are founded.

“Thank you, I have to say this is the first proper shrine I have Visited. It is rather nice actually, seems what I heard about Moriya Shrine was correct. Very impressive indeed. It's no wonder you garner so much faith here.”
Elis
Main Character

Postby Rika » 25 May 2013 15:15

It seemed that Sanae's excitement over being inside Evil Eye Sigma was more than enough to make up for whatever mild discomfort her nonexistent seating arrangements might normally have caused. More importantly, the shrine maiden had complete confidence in Kanako's ability to handle the situation outside, and Rika certainly wasn't going to question her judgement.

"Alright, let's go!" The engineer agreed, more than happy to begin their flight now that her concerns had been put to rest. Evil Eye Sigma was reactivated with the push of a button, the machine powering up with a quiet hum. An array of screens lit up in front of Rika, some of them displaying readouts from the tank's instruments while others provided views of the tank's surroundings that came from its external cameras. The largest screen was linked to the war machine's massive 'eye', which contained its most advanced detection equipment.

Then Evil Eye Sigma began to move.

The tentacles it had used to anchor itself to the ground released their grasp as the tank rose into the air, spreading its massive wings as it propelled itself into the sky. Despite the speed of its ascent, Sanae would barely feel anything within the cockpit, the ride being amazingly smooth so far. "So where should we go first?" Rika asked, glancing back at the shrine maiden. Her war machine hovered in place above Youkai Mountain, not even having to flap its wings to remain airborne...
Rika
Main Character

Postby Sanae Kochiya » 30 May 2013 03:29

While this may have been an every day thing for the young engineer, for Sanae, it was living a dream. Her eyes would gaze attentively at each screen, only growing steadily more excited by the tank data that did well to go completely over her head. Still, even without knowing, she knew that this machine was would soon be lifting off the ground.

And that it did.

Were it not for appearances, Sanae might have let out a girlish "Kyaaa~!" upon take off. Thankfully she at least had that much self control. Peering at the main monitor, her attention turn back to Rika as she asked her question. "Hmm...Well, we can't go too far...Ah! How fast can this thing go? Could you show me?" she asked with a delighted smile. While she wanted to see all of the tanks offensive weaponry the most, she figured that she'd settle for this for now.

Missiles and lasers would come later.
Sanae Kochiya
Alternate Character

Postby Kanako Yasaka » 30 May 2013 20:45

Kanako floated upwards slowly, pirouetting idly as if to expend nervous energy that had her fidgeting. Not her usual state of mind, but she was visibly nervous about Sanae and her little 'adventure.' Sure, Danmaku might not kill you. But crashing a flying tank into the side of a mountain definitely would, miracle girl or not. She didn't get this far by taking reckless chances. She turned her head back towards the Mystic Pair that had appeared on her doorstep, slowly drifting backwards in the direction of the Wind God's Lake. The shrine lay past that, but for now she was feeling restless, not really in the mood to sit around and sip tea with guests. They'd just have to humor their fussy hostess.

"Well, come along then. If you're going to insist on visiting, we'll have a little drink by the lake and you can both tell me your story. After all, its not often I get strangers of this sort along to the shrine. Tell me dear," glancing at Konngara pointedly, "I have no intention of pitching Gensokyo into Chaos, so I find your statement curious. Why do you take responsibility for the above-world as well as the below? Is that not the Komeiji's domain?"

The goddess landed on the surface of the grand lake, which looked like a vast graveyard for Onbashira. They stood in abject silence, witnesses to a previous age and time, possibly older even than most inhabitants of Gensokyo. They'd traveled far, coming with the lake at the beckoning of their goddess. She slowly rose atop one of the pillars, folding her legs and sitting on it as it pointedly stopped several feet above the heads of both her guests. There were several large lily-pads, easily stable enough to hold their weight.
Kanako Yasaka
Alternate Character

PreviousNext

Return to Youkai Mountain