[Open] Mystic Pair

Locations: Moriya Shrine, Tengu Village, Kappa Village, Giant Toad's Pond, The Waterfall
Forum rules
Youkai Mountain is easily the most massive mountain that can be found in Gensokyo. The mountain is so large that the beings inhabiting it seem to be largely segregated. At the base of the mountain live the peaceful Kappa, an semi-aquatic race with a fondness of engineering and architecture. Further up the mountain, one can find the airborne Tengu, who live in a village near the incredible waterfall. However, the most notable structure that can be found on the youkai mountain lies at the very top. Relatively new to Gensokyo, the Moriya Shrine simply appeared one day along with a sizeable lake. This shrine is home to the Goddesses of snake and frog, Kanako Yasaka and Suwako Moriya. Suwako, the original goddess of the shrine, has recently been lying dormant while Kanako roams free, a result of Kanako subverting her in battle. The keeper of the shrine is a girl named Sanae Kotiya. Sanae serves a similar role to Reimu Hakurei, and in fact attempted to establish the Moriya Shrine as the dominant place of worship in Gensokyo before being stopped by Reimu and Marisa. Both the Kappa and Tengu, however, to seem to be starting to recognize the sovergnity of the Moriya Shrine.

[Open] Mystic Pair

Postby Elis » 19 Mar 2013 17:50

It was a rather quiet day on the Youkai mountain, not a great deal of notable activity going on, just the wind blowing, the birds chirping, the bugs screeching...

oh, and the silhouette of a certain Vampire slowly ascending, wrapped in a dark cloak. To be honest, Elis didn't really want to keep the cloak, it just reminded her of how close she was to getting too attached to it's original owner, as beneficial as their alliance was, it was distracting her from her true goal, and as such had to be cut short. As irritating as it was, The Innocent Devil missed that annoying Vampire Girl, and as painful as it was to admit, she couldn't bring herself to discard the item she currently wore, a sort of memento. Of course, there was the obvious bonus to this particular item of allowing her to go about in the daytime, but she really did hate it so.

Fortunately, today Elis was on a mission, a good distraction as it were. It's objective? A two part plan, firstly she needed to note down the layout of the mountain, lest she be caught here unprepared, that just wouldn't do. A bonus to her unfamiliarity with the area however was that she was largely unknown here, so no one should be able to recognise her or her previous affiliations. Thankfully... she really was making me ruin my image... some 'Innocent Devil' I was around her, loud-mouthed brat.... the second objective of her current voyage was rather simple.

There were gods to meet.

Yes, in her usual information gathering, Elis caught wind of a pair of gods living on this here mountain, and how could she resist investigating for herself! Granted, she had obviously met her mother before, and she was technically a goddess, but these were new and different! Perhaps I can learn something from these ones... that Autumn goddess was a bust, as interesting as her power was, and I could definitely use that... this pair may prove much more useful, if I can befriend them then maybe they can teach me a thing or two, and if not then what harm can there be in being on a god's good side?

Grinning to herself, the Innocent Devil increased her pace with another flap of her wings, her goal was almost within sight, a shrine. As distasteful as that word left in her mouth, where else would gods reside? Maybe that was the reason that Red-white could beat her in the first place? Divine assistance would explain a lot... then again, perhaps she was just stronger. Either way, i'm better than I was back then. She probably is as well, so I shall continue focussing my efforts. I WILL beat her someday. For now this will have to do.

Somewhere, in the back of her mind, Elis has a small fear that maybe these gods could see through her act. Small as that fear was, it was definitely there. She would have to be careful here.
Elis
Main Character

Re: [Open] Mystic Pair

Postby Konngara » 19 Mar 2013 18:31

It was not that often Konngara went to the surface, she took a quick glance up at the mountain and chuckled to herself, wondering if these so-called gods had any idea as to what they were doing. She immediately began her ascent, making her way around the terrain quite well. She had one goal in her mind, to find out the reasons as to why they had made this reactor in her realm. Silently gaining ground and not disturbing the youkai of this mountain as best as possible, she made her way up.

"What was the purpose of this reactor?" Konngara's thoughts racing as she continued her way up the mountain, not stopping for anything. It is quite true that she had been slightly unsettled by this since it had appeared in Former Hell. Wondering if such a dangerous device should be left in charge to someone as...."Unique" as the hell raven. As her thoughts continued to bother her, she had caught a glimpse of a cloaked figured heading in the same direction as her. She quickly made her way up to the cloaked figure, wanting her to stop.

"You there, where are you heading?" Konngara said as she called to the figure. Konngara had caught up to the figure and looked at her with her red eyes. "Hmm...you do not seem to be from this mountain, is there any reason as to why you would be here?" She still looked at the figure, waiting for a response. "You know I do not have all day to wait for a response, kindly answer me."
Konngara
Free Character

Postby Elis » 19 Mar 2013 20:02

...odd. I could swear I hear something. Turning around to face the source of the voice, Elis jumped slightly, how did she not notice this person near her earlier?! She really must have been thinking hard to ignore someone like that... oh but they did ask a question, and seemed to be rather impatient as well. That will prove annoying.

“O-oh, i'm so sorry, I was off in my own little world... i'm looking for the shrine on this mountain, I heard there were gods there and just had to see for myself! This world is just so interesting you see... Oh, where are my manners, I haven't even introduced myself!” knocking herself on the head in a 'ditzy' way, the Innocent Devil bowed slightly.

“My name is Elis, a pleasure to meet you Miss.” Looking back up she flashed a cute smile to Konngara. This person really does look interesting. I wonder what abilities they possess... perhaps further study will have to be implemented.

“As I have answered your question, perhaps you could do the same for me? What are you doing here Miss? As you said with me, you also don't look like you come from here. Is there someone you are trying to meet?” Elis cocked her head to the side quizzically. Perhaps this person was looking for the gods as well? Two sets of eyes would be better than one...
Elis
Main Character

Postby Sanae Kochiya » 19 Mar 2013 23:56

The Moriya Shrine would only do well to reflect Youkai Mountain's peaceful atmosphere as Sanae calmly went about sweeping the shrine grounds with her trusty broom. Such a simple task that she had grown so used to. With each precise back and forth arm movement, one might call it an art of a sorts for a shrine maiden. Just as Sanae was about to finish up for the day, her arms would suddenly halt in the middle of their sweeping motion. Her head would tilt up slightly as her gaze shifted toward the sky. Calmly, her eyes would shut themselves as she found her attention drifting to something else.

A tranquil breeze.

Sanae's hair fluttered gently behind her as a small wind made it's way across the shrine. She could sense it; something in the wind. Despite being a wind priestess, this kind of thing didn't happen all too often. For the most part it didn't seem like anything ominous or foreboding. Not that Sanae was worried if that had been the case. Rather, it'd give her reason to spring into youkai exterminating action!

Just before Sanae could get too overly excited, she'd find herself catching sight of an odd pair making their way towards the shrine. While unfamiliar, both had distinct visual traits that just screamed "suspicious". One looked to have a horn, causing Sanae's thoughts to shift to images of Suika. The other was just too suspicious to ignore with that dark looking outfit. Despite this being a mountain full of youkai, they just looked to stand out way to much. "Wait...perhaps this is...an incident?!"

Without a second thought, Sanae dropped her broom before arming herself with her gohei. Upon having the two come close enough, Sanae would call out to the two odd visitors, gohei pointing in their direction.

"What business do you have at the Moriya Shrine?!"

Wait, was Sanae smiling...?
Ctrl+F5 to see a new avatar! (Special thanks to Soga)
Sanae Kochiya
Alternate Character

Postby Kanako Yasaka » 20 Mar 2013 00:56

Kanako didn't always spend time in a physical form. After all, she was more spirit than mortal now, and at times it was just too much effort to maintain. She was a whisper of a breeze on the wind, dancing invisibly and playfully about Sanae as she swept the yard. None but the most attuned senses could detect such a spirit, such as the Hakurei Miko perhaps. Suddenly the goddess would cease her formless dance, realizing roughly at the same time that they had visitors not far off. Well now, wasn't that an interesting surprise? It was only a few days into Spring and already new people were arriving to pay their respects. Or so she wished. In reality, it was likely just curious youkai and obnoxious fairies here to pester Sanae and steal the sake.

For now, Kanako remained illusory, a barely glimpsed vision of something lurking just beyond the sight of the wind priestess. She remained proud of her girl, for she hadn't even had to give her a metaphorical tap on the shoulder to register the intruders. She'd done it all on her own, reading the words on the wind as surely as if Kanako had whispered them to her herself.

She will surpass even I. Reimu really doesn't know what she's in for when this girl comes into her own fully.

Hrm, these two were no-one she recognized. Wait a minute, she did remember the...Oni? Was Konngara an Oni? Did it matter? Not at all, really. She'd had her glaring matches with Yuugi but it'd never come to it yet. Perhaps someday. The wind that was the goddess of sky and mountain wrapped herself around Sanae, observing events unfold. This could get very interesting, even if ultimately they were not important on the surface. She would turn it to her advantage when she saw the opening, and would not meddle just yet.
Kanako Yasaka
Alternate Character

Postby Rika » 21 Mar 2013 13:37

Though she couldn't fly on her own and most of her vehicles were also limited to the ground, Rika had to admit that flight was quite an exhilarating experience. Evil Eye Sigma, finally rebuilt after its tragic destruction at the hands of Youmu and Meira, soared through the skies of Gensokyo at impressive speeds, not even having to flap its wings to stay airborne. Reclining inside the familiar cockpit of her flying tank, the engineer enjoyed the panoramic view of Gensokyo she had at this altitude.

This test run had been quite uneventful so far, and so far everything was working perfectly. Rika was almost hoping she would run into trouble, if only to see whether Evil Eye Sigma's weapons were functioning as well as the rest of its systems, but a pleasant flight across Gensokyo was nice too. After having to rebuild her prized flying tank from scratch, the engineer probably wasn't going to be picking any fights in the near future.

If she could keep her temper in check, anyway.

The peak of the region's largest mountain soon caught Rika's eye, and she realized that she'd never actually visited Gensokyo's new shrine. She still had a (one sided) vendetta against Reimu, but that didn't mean she couldn't get along with a friendlier shrine maiden. Deciding to find out what the Moriya Shrine was like, the engineer flew Evil Eye Sigma towards the summit of Youkai Mountain, hoping that she wouldn't be attacked on sight. Her vehicle's monstrous appearance had caused problems last time...
Rika
Main Character

Postby Konngara » 25 Mar 2013 20:25

Konngara gave a quick smile and bowed to the innocent devil. "Very nice to meet you, Elis. I take it you are not from this domain as well." The yaksha chuckled at the innocent devil then quickly returned to her calm composure and smiled. Hearing that the devil was looking for the shrine as well she had continued walking with her casually making conversation.

"If you must know, Elis, I am Konngara. I oversee the domain known as hell and am tasked with making certain that everything is in order there. i am here to simply ask what the purpose of a certain reactor that was added into my domain was for. I had gathered information from the Ancient City and they had said the mountain goddess had her hand in this. I am merely off to the shrine as well, if you would care to accompany me?"

Konngara had quickly made her way to the shrine, accompanying Elis. The shrine had slowly started to come into view, it appeared that there were two others there waiting for them. Konngara had stopped in front of the shrine maiden there at the moment and gave a quick glare to her. But then returned to her calm look and said. "Greetings, I am Konngara, Overseer of hell. I have some business I need to attend to regarding the goddesses here."
Konngara
Free Character

Postby Elis » 26 Mar 2013 20:47

“Hell? Now that is interesting. Where I come from has been called 'loser hell' by someone from your domain. I'm sure they were just overly... energetic? I'm afraid I have never been there so I can't say for sure.” after giving a light giggle, Elis nodded softly. “It would be my pleasure to accompany you, the more the merrier after all!” that, and I can keep an eye on you.

To be frightfully honest, Elis was actually expecting the sort of reception that awaited the pair when Sanae intercepted them, her only experiences with shrine maidens being that blasted red-white, and she had to fight the urge to scowl at this new face. It seems she had developed a bit of a grudge against the position, despite attempting to join it at one point. What she didn't expect however, was the feeling of... another. There was something else here, what it was, well that would have to wait, as infuriating as it was to not know something. Still, best to keep up appearances.

At that thought, Elis let out a small yelp of surprise to the shout from the Wind Priestess, positioning herself behind her companion and peeking out from behind the Astral knight. “u-um... hello... I just uh... wanted to visit?” this one seems rather happy about something. Is she looking for conflict? Is she just like that other? I'd rather not have to fight two if I can help it. Especially one that has known gods, that would be most unfortunate.

Of course, now that she was actually paying attention, the Innocent Devil noticed the large looming figure of Evil Eye Sigma, something that she was genuinely surprised at.

If surprised meant 'HOLY HELL WHAT IS THAT?!' of course.

As prepared and composed as Elis tries to be at all times, there is just something about a large bat-winged eyeball that freaks you out. Still, somehow, throughout the sudden feeling of dread that thing gave her, The Innocent Devil managed to keep her reaction small. Controlling herself by clinging to Konngara's back, shaking softly. Get a hold of yourself! It can't be THAT dangerous! It just looks it! If it attacks then these two can handle it! I can take any advantage that may arise if that happens. Maybe they have something I can use.
Elis
Main Character

Postby Sanae Kochiya » 28 Mar 2013 03:09

Sanae's gaze would do well to stay on the two wary visitors, ready to act without a moments notice if the situation called for it. Even with this being the case, Sanae would do well to at least hear the people out before attacking mercilessly. A trait that separated her from Reimu, or so Sanae believed.

Despite hearing their reasoning, Sanae still kept her guard up and ready as she stared at the two; more specifically the horned character with her brief, hostile glare. Although the other person was indeed dressed oddly suspicious, she didn't seem like much of a threat from the way she had responded. Still, this only meant that Sanae was less suspicious of her then she was before. Youkai were still youkai, after all.

"Overseer of Hell...?" Sanae parroted, slight distrust in her expression. She hadn't recalled meeting anyone with such an important title before. The first people that came to mind were the girl with three eyes, the Yama, and the netherworld's princess. Unless there was another hell that Sanae was not aware of, something was off here.

Before Sanae could question Konngara's identity, her attention would find itself slowly shifting to whatever was casting a large shadow on the ground up in the sky. "What the...?" Despite all the suspicious things she had seen today, this obviously took the cake. It was like something you'd see at the end of a final dungeon in an old-school RPG. Her mind could barely comprehend just how non-suspicious this thing was being.

"....Lady Kanako!!"

Things were just getting out of hand at this point. Whether or not Sanae was confident in taking on three very suspicious youkai at once, this wasn't just something that you could respond to with bullets.

Not yet anyway...
Sanae Kochiya
Alternate Character

Postby Kanako Yasaka » 28 Mar 2013 03:33

Kanako was less than amused by not only Konngara's braggart behavior, but also the odd appearance of the devil girl. Unless Remilia had yet another sister she was not aware of, this was a new one. And now it was looking like they were going to be making curious inquisitions into Moriya Shrine's business. How pesky. They could at least have the decency to be more humble in the presence of gods. Perhaps she ought to...what was that?

What. Was. That?

Kanako could scarce believe herself, almost not even hearing Sanae's cry of her name. The flying tank was beyond belief, something she could scarce have believed possible. Certainly, she'd seen childish scribbling in Sanae's manga that resembled such fantastical machines, but even her mind couldn't conceive of something like that existing. Truly, humans were a terrifying race. That it was a machine was clear to her from the start, as it didn't move nor did it have tell-tale signs that gave it away as anything but. That and the high pitched whine of an engine. She'd had plenty of time on the Outside to recognize such. But what could it be doing here? This was a fine time for Suwako to be away for who knew what reason, this might actually be a full blown attack!

Without warning, Kanako would step out of the air behind Sanae, floating a good three feet above her and to the right. Her shimenawa would twist and bind into place behind her, giving the goddess of sky and mountain a most impressive halo. There was a sudden, strong breeze that would sweep across the mountainside as she made her entrance, gale force winds that would shake even the monstrous thing flying above them. Not with the intent to bring it down to be sure, but Kanako would not tolerate anyone misunderstanding who was in charge here! The vain goddess cast her snake-eyed gaze upon Konngara and Elis witheringly, folding arms under her chest in a haughty stance. She did not appear amused at all these sudden intrusions, three at once in a day! She said not a word, letting her theatrics speak for her. Sanae would now be reassured of support, and would allow the miko to conduct negotiations. Violently, if need be.
Kanako Yasaka
Alternate Character

Postby Rika » 02 Apr 2013 13:46

Luck just wasn't on Rika's side today. If the ominous manifestation of Youkai Mountain's supreme goddess was anything to go by, the unsettling appearance of her flying tank had already elicited a hostile reaction. For once the engineer was actually willing to submit without a fight, due in no small part to Kanako's intimidating presence. It wasn't too difficult to keep Evil Eye Sigma stable as it flew through the powerful wind, but the message beyond the sudden gale was all too clear.

In response, Rika was quick to change course and direct her machine towards the peak of the mountain. Floating down as innocuously as it could with its monstrous visage, Evil Eye Sigma selected a fairly wide space in front of the Moriya Shrine to land in, kicking up dust as it neared the ground. The green tentacles extending from its underside served as landing gear, their tips splitting open to form clawed 'feet' that it drove into the ground to stabilize and support itself.

Once the vehicle was securely anchored to the ground, Rika immediately shut it down and opened the armored hatch, climbing out onto the top of her tank in an attempt to show them that she wasn't a threat. It helped that the little girl was the only one present without so much as a trace of supernatural power, being just as fragile and weak as she looked. After sliding down the side of Evil Eye Sigma and landing roughly on the ground, the engineer held up her hands in what she hoped was a submissive gesture. Now that she was outside of her machine there wouldn't be much she could do if one of these strangers wished to forcefully remove her from the mountain, so it was probably a good idea to play it safe for now.

"I'm not here to fight, I'm just visiting!" Rika called out, addressing Kanako in particular since the goddess seemed to be in charge and was by far the scariest one here at the moment...
Rika
Main Character

Postby Konngara » 02 Apr 2013 17:40

Konngara looked curiously at the young girl seemingly departing from what appeared to be a mechanical eye. She could do nothing but chuckle at the other's reactions as they had been thoroughly surprised by its appearance. The wind that Kanako had summoned not even making Konngara flinch, looking to her with nothing but a calm expression. Speaking up towards the both of then as clearly as she could, making her legs disappear and in their place, a ghostly tail appeared. She took this time to relax and get her words out.

"Now, now, there is no need for such hostility toward me, I mean no harm as well. I reside in a place beyond your reactor known as the silent shrine. That said reactor is the reason I had come here today, do you know what you are doing in building that in hell, let alone having the hell raven operate it? What was your purpose of doing so, you are aware of the danger it poses to hell correct? Also, please lower your hostility, I do not need another shrine maiden to deal with."

Konngara looked to both the goddess and her shrine maiden seriously, addressing what needed to be said as accurately as she possibly could. The recent addition to her domain had given her some slight worry about the situation. Having a structure that contained such a high amount of power could be destructive if not maintained properly. Still though, Konngara calmly waited for the goddess to respond to her.
Konngara
Free Character

Postby Elis » 05 Apr 2013 07:53

Elis watched warily from behind Konngara, eyes trained on the large eye-thing. Whatever t was it had the potential to be a real nuisance. And if that wasn't all, someone new appeared. Someone who from the feel of it was extremely powerful, and this was a familiar feeling, one she had known before.

The one before her now was a goddess.

She certainly likes dramatics. And she's certainly stronger than the last one I encountered too. This must be the main goddess of the mountain, what was her name? Ka-something... bah. That thing has shaken me up more than I thought. Get it together! Mentally slapping herself the Innocent Devil averted her eyes from the piercing glare from Kanako, if she was correct this one would be more... perceptive than the others. She would have to keep her guard up.

Then the Eye-thing landed. And opened. What. It's... it's artificial? Elis looked to Rika in wonder, how could something like that have been constructed? How did it move? What was it's source of power? And most importantly, Could she use it?

And then to throw a curve ball into the court, the one she was hiding behind lost her legs, making The Innocent Devil jump back slightly with a quiet 'eep'. What IS she? Is she a ghost? Just who exactly are all these people? This really is starting to prove... interesting. I'll have to keep watch over all of them more closely... who knows what I may be able to take advantage of.
Elis
Main Character

Postby Sanae Kochiya » 08 Apr 2013 16:35

With all the random and confusing events that happening one after another, it was no surprise that the green-haired shrine maiden hadn't picked up on just exactly what was landing on the shrine grounds. Given it's appearance, one couldn't blame her for thinking it was large, roaming youkai. However, it was only as it began it's steady decent did Sanae realize it.

This thing was not a youkai...

It didn't take long for Sanae's priorities to do a full 180, her focus completely switching to the newest visitor. She had picked up the mechanical sounds of the thing landing on the ground and, upon seeing the small girl climb out of the tank's hatch, Sanae felt as if a switch had been flipped in her head. Wordlessly, Sanae took a one step towards the large eye. Then another. Then another.

Suddenly, without warning, a large burst of wind would explode outward from where Sanae had once been, the blue-white miko now rocketing through the air towards the mechanical tank. In no time at all, Sanae had flown over to the tank's hatch, peering down inside it's interior. "Th...This is...!" Sanae's gaze shifted to the grounded Rika, eyes sparkling to the point that one might think beams of light would come from them. "What is this?! Something like this in Gensokyo... You built this, right?! I don't even think the kappa could pull this off yet... Can I ride it?!" Her attention spun over to Kanako. "Can I ride it, Lady Kanako?!"

Having nearly forgotten everything else that mattered at the moment, she figured that Lady Kanako could deal with the other two guests. For now, she was too busy being a kid in a toy store.
Sanae Kochiya
Alternate Character

Postby Kanako Yasaka » 09 Apr 2013 13:38

Kanako wasn't quite sure what to think, once the automaton sprouted a girl younger than Sanae as its pilot. That was really quite unexpected, even for Gensokyo. Still, she was no fool and quickly insisted she meant no harm. For the moment, that was enough to appease the goddess. Somehow Sanae's reaction was not entirely unexpected either. The demure young priestess was after all still a mere child in Kanako's eyes.

A very wise child but a child nonetheless. I think she can handle this curious engineer well enough however.

At the begging however...Kanako had never been very good at dealing with Sanae when she flashed those bright golden eyes at her. Wait, were they gold or blue-green? She was tempted to retort almost automatically "Ask Suwako" but that was just not an option here.

"Ahn, alright, as long as you don't go too far afield...and leave me to deal with all these vagrants."

The last few words were muttered as she turned to formally address Elis and Konngara. Typical. Sanae gets to go have fun and she has all the work again!

"So you're curious about the reactor, is it? I can assure you it is perfectly safe, as far as such things go. No energy source is ever completely harmless, but we're not about to light off the top of the mountain if that's what you're wondering. I also found your authority to investigate such rather dubious, as this is my mountain, and not yours. The Tengu and Kappa have no complaints as to its presence, so why should you?"
Kanako Yasaka
Alternate Character

Next

Return to Youkai Mountain