[Open] Chenanigans

Archive for threads set on the Youkai Mountain.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Open] Chenanigans

Postby Chen » 23 Aug 2010 14:48

What a bright and clear view the mountainside gave on a good morning. It was sights like this that Chen lived for.

Well, after thinking about it, she noted she also lived for her master, Ran. And all the cats of Mayohiga, too. And her friends, and... she realized she was getting off-track. Either way, she loved a good crisp morning. The mountains were always nice and cool, especially when the day was just beginning, since summer always made everything so hot and humid otherwise. It was for this that when it was summer, she always woke up nice and early make the most of the morning before the heat set in, whether for study, work, or play.

And play she shall! Chen took a deep breath and stretched out while still remaining in the air, getting the last of the sleepies out of her system, before she dropped down closer towards the base of the mountain. To be honest, the nekomata wasn't at all sure what she'd do today - really, it boiled down to whatever or whoever caught her attention being subject to her boundless energy and playfulness.

At first it chasing birds and squirrels. Then it was pranking and being pranked by the fairies, the dubious influences on her as they were. Then her time was spent watching the fish swim upstream along the mountain's steep river and contemplating how many different ways they could be cooked. While Chen was still an immature youkai, she had plenty of time in the past to try all sorts of fish-related meals whenever Ran made them, at Yukari's suggestion or otherwise. She did find the various ways they could be cooked rather fascinating...

A grumble from Chen's stomach suddenly snapped her out of her daydreams. "Is it that time already?" she wondered aloud before standing back up and looking towards the steadily-rising sun. It was still pretty early for lunch, but she was sure it would be alright if she had some of it, at least. After unpacking the knapsack she brought along, she settled back down at the riverbank and went about enjoying her lunch in the tranquil scenery.

Tranquil it was, but the little shikigami was hoping she'd find someone else to play with besides the fairies soon. At least the day had started for more people since the time she had left home.
"Happiness is like a cat, If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."
Chen
Main Character

Re: [Open] Chenanigans

Postby Nitori Kawashiro » 24 Aug 2010 00:09

The day was quiet, the air was still, the river was flowing. Peaceful, yes. But not for long, rest assured. The scene darkens as a certain shady character makes her debut for today (albeit discretely). Disguised as a murky shadow drifting side to side in the obscured depths of the river, the kappa had spotted her target of attention upon the riverbank. Analysis: A cat. With food.

It wasn't hunger which fueled the urge of this kappa. It was more like the anxiety of hoping her latest experiment works. She'd adjusted the cloak so it wouldn't stutter whenever she emerged out of water. Of course, if she had a cloak on, she wouldn't be a murky shadow in the depths. Oh yes, the ever-so excited kappa had forgotten the simple terms of flipping the on switch of her device. Poor unorganized kappa.

And so, she rose slightly. Still thinking she was invisible, she bobbed her head out of the water and swam all the more closer, her backpack jutting above the surface. She'd failed to notice that her rather cumbersome backpack had acquired some...decorations from Nitori's dwelling in the depths. The amassed algae and river debris caught on her backpack made it appear like some kind of...river monster (Not that those weren't found in Gensokyo). And by now she was in plain sight of the innocent little kitty sitting on the riverbank. Also, Nitori being the clumsy kappa she is (not normally mind you) made a bit of noise upon her approach. The various splashing she accidentally made from her somewhat careful swimming was quiet in sound, but considering Chen probably had above-average hearing with those ears, the cat may become alert.

But Nitori was invisible! And her cloak didn't seem to flicker either! Experiment successful. Now that she had what she wanted, she thought it wouldn't hurt to have a bit of fun by going right up to this kitty and giving her a little prod. Nitori wondered if Chen was afraid of ghosts or anything of the sorts. Excited, she hastened her approach, crawling onto the bank and towards Chen. If she was actually cloaked, the various bits of water foliage draped over every part of her body (and therefore making her look like some ugly creature of the lagoon) would not have caused any problems. Too bad she had forgotten to activate it in the first place, therefore having no cloak whatsoever. Silly Nitori.
Nitori Kawashiro
Main Character

Postby Chen » 24 Aug 2010 12:02

Forgetting to flip the switch, a common problem in all fields of technology. Though at least it helped that the nekomata was blissfully unaware of the kappa's approach anyway, instead being wrapped up in cheerfully singing a little ditty in thanks to her master for the salmon-filled rice balls. Chen had no idea just what Nitori was planning, or that she was even there regardless of the cloaking device's inactivity, up until the kappa's practice in swimming, honed through years untold, suddenly chose the perfect time to falter.

Chen's ears stood up to attention, and almost immediately afterwards the shikigami herself had turned to look straight at the lurking kappa. There was simply so much on Nitori though, both in equipment and the hitchhikers from the water, that at first Chen had no idea what she was looking at. Her imagination was quick to fill in for the lack of positive identification, though.

"Swamp monster coming upstream!" she shrieked in surprise, quickly gathering her food back up and lifting it up in the air behind her with one hand while her other was held outstretched at the approaching... mass, for lack of a better term. "My food, not yours! Ran-sama made it specially for me!" With that, she quickly fired off a few bolts of poorly-aimed black magic as a warning shot, each bullet either charring a bit of grass or creating a burst of steam on the river's surface.
"Happiness is like a cat, If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."
Chen
Main Character

Postby Nitori Kawashiro » 24 Aug 2010 12:58

Swamp monster? First of all, that was just plain rude. Second, the cloak was off!? Nitori's baffling failure left her stunned, mouth agape. "Uuuh...This is awkward." Confusion settled in for the silly kappa. How could she have forgotten to activate her own machinery!? This was a test, and the test subject was void to begin with...How humiliating. What a blow to her kappa-like morale that was.

But she would need to grief about it some other time. The bolts coming towards the kappa didn't seem too friendly, and the first instinct was to dodge. So that's what Nitori did. She swayed side to side to avoid the nasty looking bolts. If she stood still, she would've been fine. But she was startled, so instinct was the only thing she had at that moment.

Swaying to the side, a bolt hit her side. Well, it didn't necessarily hurt, but it left a clean hole, blackened at the edges, on the side of her waist. Now, being shy as she was, she didn't take too kindly to part of her body being revealed so suddenly. She immediately lowered her arm down to cover it up, blushing slightly. "Hey! That was uncalled for!" She then sighed as she looked down at her entire body. "Well...Guess I could pass off some kinda swamp creature." She slowly started to strip the bits of aquatic matter off herself, looking at Chen. "Sorry to give you a scare like that...I was trying to do an experiment. Didn't quite turn out the way I expected..."

She managed to get most of the stuff off and raised her hands, slowly backing away from Chen. She didn't know what else the cat could do, and quite frankly she didn't want to intimidate her anymore. "A-and unless you have cucumbers, I don't want any of your food. S-so don't be alarmed anymore. 'Kay? M-my name's Nitori...I'm a kappa...M-may I inquire on who you are? W-what brings you here...Cause I haven't seen you around here before." Even though Chen was probably the least intimidating thing in Gensokyo, Nitori's shyness still shone through. It was kind of a default for encountering new faces. Pity.
Nitori Kawashiro
Main Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 29 Aug 2010 16:44

And then suddenly, flying kick!

Kogasa was trying something new today - a little something she called parasailing. Note that this was different from actual parasailing, which involved a fast moving boat and a parachute, both of which things Kogasa lacked. What she did have were a parasol and relatively fast moving winds, at least at higher altitudes, so she was making the most of both by using her parasol as a sail and letting the wind carry her. Sailing with parasols! See? Parasailing! It was fun, but apparently, she had strayed too close to the ground.

Because before she knew it, her foot was knocking into the back of Nitori's head.

She came to a definite halt shortly after that, saving Chen from any injury to her personage, but Nitori was still face-down in the water. "Oh, uh..." said Kogasa blankly, staring at the kappa. It took her a moment to figure out what was going on here, but once she did...

"A-ahh!" Her eyes widened in horror as she stared at Nitori. And then, without warning, she whirled, facing Chen. She gripped the nekomata by the shoulders and said frantically, "Y-you! Are you alright!? The swamp monster didn't do anything to you, did it!?"

Well, nobody ever said that Kogasa was the sharpest tool in the shed.
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Chen » 01 Sep 2010 12:44

Chen immediately flinched and retracted her arm once one of the shots managed to hit home despite her intention otherwise. She was just trying to scare the swamp monster off! She didn't want to make it angry! She... "Wait, you're not a swamp monster?" asked Chen with a puzzled stare, blinking a few times as the kappa shed the debris. Once it dawned on her just what was going on though, she quickly set the food back down and bowed her head, the nekomata's eyes shut tight. "Omigosh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean for that shot to hit you at all!"

Once the introductions were offered, though, she blinked again and lifted her head back up to look at the kappa. "Nitori? I, um... My name is Chen, and I usually play around the mountain," she blurted out, surprised she hadn't been seen before. Then again, was she even in the area she usually played at? "I'm sorry I mistook you for a swamp monster, Ms. Ni..."

And then came the cavalry.

"...tori..." Chen once again stared, slow to process just what had happened, but what she saw was the back of a karakasa who had just delivered a stunning dynamic entry on the poor kappa. And she remembered that karakasa. Vaguely. At least the shikigami remembered enough to recall her name. "Ah! Kogasa!" she called out before jumping to her feet, suddenly regretting having shrieked about the 'swamp monster' moments earlier. She looked up at her would-be savior after she had rushed over to her with just a pitiful and apologetic look on her face, not sure how she would be able to admit it.

After a moment, she answered, "I-I'm okay, and... actually, she isn't a swamp monster after all."
Chen
Main Character

Postby Nitori Kawashiro » 01 Sep 2010 15:14

Hurting...Hurting a lot. The sudden impact had driven Nitori's face into the hard riverbank surface with a sickening *slap*! She felt a little angry at the uncalled-for attack, but was more wracked with pain than anything. It wasn't surprising that someone came after the nekomata had screamed 'swamp monster', but something this sudden and fast?....

"Uuugh..." After a moment of regaining her senses, she slowly lifted her face from the moist mud of the riverbank and wiped her face down with one slide of her hand. She flickered her eyes open and looked down at the glove, which was stained with mud and blood. She instinctively raised her hand to her nose, which was indeed bleeding. "Well...This is a spot of bother" she said in a nasally voice as she pinched the bridge of her nose.

She then looked up at the new addition to the scene. It was a karakasa, not one that Nitori has ever seen before. Nitori also had trouble recalling the stuff Chen had said before...Probably the dizziness. Now, since there were two people she didn't know in front of her, and since they seemed to know each other, Nitori felt considerably outnumbered. The cat was Chen...And Chen had addressed the karakasa as Kogasa. "U-um..." Now her shyness once again shone through. If there was one thing Nitori didn't like, it was suddenly being confronted with a new face. But being suddenly confronted with two new faces? She might break down into a nervous wreck if she wasn't careful (not like she hasn't before). The thing which made her most anxious was the fact that the karakasa seemed quite hostile and protective of Chen...

"U-uh...I-I don't want to cause a-any trouble. P-please don't hurt me anymore..." Her plea of innocence just sounded silly, in her mind. She was covered in mud and her voice sounded ridiculous due to the nose pinching. Not my best situation to be caught in...Happy place, happy place... "I-I'm sorry, but I wasn't trying to hurt....Chen. S-so don't hurt me anymore Kogasa....O-okay?" She was crawling back slightly. Again, this was instinctive for her to do when she felt outnumbered and threatened. Overall, it was kind of a pitiful display for the kappa. But she was kind of in shock from that surprise attack, so you can't blame her really.
Nitori Kawashiro
Main Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 02 Sep 2010 19:15

Ah, right, that was right. This nekomata was Yukari’s shikigami’s shikigami... wait, but did that shikigami... aw, forget it. Of course, she was just reciting this useless knowledge in her head to take her mind off the fact that she had probably just critically injured the swamp monster, who wasn’t really the swamp monster Kogasa had mistook her for. (In all honesty, Kogasa wasn’t trying to save Chen at all – she had just been in the wrong place at the wrong time.)

Bah, who was she kidding? She had probably just really injured this kappa, of course Kogasa wouldn’t be able to take her mind off of that! “Oh! I’m really sorry, completely!” blurted out Kogasa, horrified at the sight of the blood-stained mud that covered Nitori’s face. “It was just an accident, I was sorta gliding with my umbrella, but I wasn’t trying to hurt anyone. But when I saw you, you looked like some kind of ferocious swamp monster, so I was worried. Uh...” She knelt down, leaning closer to Nitori. “Are you okay?” From the look of it, the blood was actually just the result of a nosebleed, something that didn’t happen to Kogasa, but she had seen it happen to others before.

Those people solved their nosebleeds by jamming tissue up their noses, and it looked ridiculous. She couldn’t blame Nitori for resorting to pinching her nose instead.

“So, Chen,” she said, realizing that Nitori probably didn’t want to talk at just that moment. “Who is this? If she’s not a swamp monster, anyway. She’s covered in mud, so I can’t really tell.”
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Rumia » 08 Sep 2010 18:46

And then.

Cue sneaky darkness youkai.

Rumia had gotten to thinking lately, sitting with her legs crossed in some uncharted area around the outskirts of the Youkai Forest. What she had been brooding about in her mind exactly was the pressing issue of where exactly she had gotten her food. Foraging, mostly. Perhaps a true meal or two from a close friend, but wasn't that it? It was rather barbaric, to say the least, not being able to make food for one's self, or rather, not even having a dependable source of food. Rumia's meals were sporadic, to say so simply, and it was no wonder that every waking moment of her life was in hunger.

But-

Rumia's ears perked. Food. There was food. Somewhere. Somewhere around her. Rumia swiftly stood upright, head swiveling around, searching for the source. What was she thinking about again? Oh well, who cares? There's food lying about here! Rumia quickly scrambled out of her pondering pose to the delicious scent. What was it? Fish, perhaps? Fish was meat, or close enough to it, anyway.

Peering out from behind a tree, Rumia saw three figures standing, two of them with their backs against to her. One was a Karakasa, another a Kappa, and the other a Nekomata.... But, Rumia noticed none of this. The only thing she was staring at was the fishy rice balls. She crept across the floor commando-style, hoping not to be seen by the kappa, and this ultimately seemed to have succeeded, as all three of them were engaged in a rousing conversation, or so Rumia assumed. As she was shorter than the karakasa, Rumia put her back to the blue haired lady's, carefully making sure that their backs didn't actually touch. With a deep breath, she reached for the salmon rice ball in the cat's hand....

And then, quite loudly, her stomach growled.
Rumia
Main Character

Postby Chen » 20 Oct 2010 10:27

Chen stared up at Kogasa while she waited for a response, unsure what to make of the karakasa's moment of silence. It certainly looked to the shikigami like she was busy thinking about something, for sure, but wouldn't it have been better to worry about what had just happened to Nitori? Being used as a landing pad certainly did look painful, thinking back on it.

Before she could say anything, the kappa had already started to beg the two for mercy - and as Kogasa had turned to check and make sure she was alright, Chen cringed with guilt at the messy sight. While there were situations she wouldn't mind hearing those pleas, an innocent mixup and chain of accidents certainly wasn't one of them!

So the nekomata did the best thing she could think of and followed after, too preoccupied with the issue to be aware of the hungry darkness youkai and her narrowly-missed grab at the rice ball still in her hand. Not that it made a big difference - she had left the rest of them with her knapsack on the ground, ripe for the picking. "Ah, her name is... Nitori, was it?" she answered to Kogasa's query, looking between the two as she kneeled down and offered her hand to the kappa... Then upon realizing she offered her rice ball unwittingly, switching the offer to her free hand with a flustered look. "And I'm really, really sorry for calling you a swamp monster. And shooting you. And..." She looked back to the karakasa. Well, she couldn't really come up with anything else to apologize for, since Kogasa admitted her own mistake in the way she arrived upon the scene.
Chen
Main Character

Postby Nitori Kawashiro » 27 Oct 2010 13:10

Nitori, in fact, did notice Rumia sneaking in. But she was too shy to have said anything on it. The next thing she heard being thrown at her were apologies, and Chen's hand in apology. While this did cure...some unrest within Nitori, she was the one that needed to apologize in the first place. She saw Chen as weak and attempted to misuse her invention for her own amusement upon the little one...

...But then she thought, perhaps some intentions are best left unsaid. Nonetheless, she accepted Chen's hand and raised herself up, still pinching her nose tightly. "T-thanks...I guess it's kind of my fault too. I should check that my inventions actually work before....err, before trying to greet someone! B-because...I'm a kappa! I like to greet people while cloaked...It's...traditional?" While failing the excuse, Nitori debated in her mind on whether it'd be right to point out that Chen's foodstuffs were being taken right behind her back...

And then she heard the loud stomach growling of the offending darkness youkai. Perhaps stomach growls said a lot more than words..."Um...Who's that by the food?" Again, sounding ridiculous due to the pinched nose gimmick. Nitori didn't like that gimmick.
Nitori Kawashiro
Main Character

Postby Kogasa Tatara » 27 Oct 2010 19:36

"...Meeting people when cloaked?"

Something about that didn't quiiiite sit right with the karakasa, and yet, at the same time, it enthralled her. Her own enthusiasm took over; if "cloaked" was being used in the way she thought it was being used, then she had just chanced upon someone who had mastered the art of invisibility. If not? ...Well, a cloak would be useful. It was almost winter, anyway.

Just as she was about to open her mouth to question Nitori further about her cloaking powers, a sound erupted from directly behind Kogasa.

GRRRRRRRRWWWLL

Several things happened at exactly that moment. Obviously, Kogasa whirled to locate the source of the sound; a mischievous blonde haired girl was creeping near! However, because Rumia had been foolish enough to put her back to Kogasa's, Kogasa only had a moment to look at the perpetrator in her face before she tripped over Rumia's foot. The resulting fall managed to knock both the karakasa and the hungry youkai out of the picture for the moment, but whether she liked it or not, Kogasa wasn't done wreaking havoc just yet. When she hit the ground, both of her legs suddenly kicked out backward, delivering two solid blows to Chen's knees. This attack knocked her over as well, and though Kogasa couldn't see very clearly what was behind her, she was very sure she saw something soaring that was white and round and made of rice...!

"Y-you again..." she grumbled, lifting herself ungracefully off of Rumia's body. "You really surprised me there."
Kogasa Tatara
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Rumia » 27 Oct 2010 22:38

Knowing that her growling stomach would likely catch the attention of somebody, Rumia quickly chanced a grab at the fish rolls, but narrowly missed as the nekomata whisked them away. "Blargh." Rumia's stomach and mouth mumbled at the same time. Had the cat really not noticed her? Perhaps the growling was only Rumia's imagination. Neither the Kappa nor the Karakasa seemed to had notice her either. Although, wait, scratch that, the Kappa was staring straight at her, but wasn't making a move... Regardless, this made no difference to Rumia.

Of course, this theory was quickly disproved, as it was then that the Karakasa had noticed her and stared her in the face. She didn't even get the chance to greet her or fabricate an excuse, as Rumia only had a split second before Kogasa preceded to do a double judo backflip upon Rumia. Well, maybe that's not how it was, it was more of a simple trip, although a double judo backflip would have been just as bad. Some way or another, the resulting effect was Rumia pulling on the blue lady's dress until she came down with her.

"Surprise..."

Wait, no, that wasn't her line! Regardless, by this time Kogasa had taken down Chen as well, leaving a sprawling mess of three girls in a multicolored heap of hair, clothing, and accessories. Kogasa took quite a while to get off of Rumia. "Oh, do I know you?..." That's right, this woman was the one Rumia had the liberty of meeting several thousand times. Ah, but wait! If Chen was down here (And nearly incapacitated), then where-

Rumia tried to scramble up as quickly as she could, pushing Kogasa out of the way, and just barely made out the fish balls flying out of Chen's hands. They flew in a parabola across the air for a short distance before landing...

Right in Nitori's hat. Not about to let a meal escape her, regardless of the repercussions, Rumia made a heroic leap toward the fish balls, as well as Nitori, holding her hands out and baring her fangs.
Rumia
Main Character

Postby Chen » 28 Oct 2010 12:59

"Greeting when cloaked?" asked Chen with a quizzical expression, just as perplexed about the idea as Kogasa made herself out to be. Thinking about it, though, she had never actually met any kappa, so it wasn't like she could figure out one way or another if that even made any sense. But then again, she recalled kappas being shy, and Nitori certainly made herself out to be a rather non-confrontational person herself (albeit, Chen didn't think of it in those words). "Oh, is that why I never see any kappas? Because they always come up while cloaked and then are too shy to say hi?"

The nekomata left that train of thought for later once it was pointed out that someone was near the food. Her food. The very special food made by her master. She had only just begun to turn by the time hilarity ensued, though - she saw the blur of tumbling bodies as Kogasa and Rumia went down, and soon with the swift strike to the backs of her knees, she dropped with a yipe and lost ahold of the rice ball as she went spinning into Nitori, knocking the hat off the poor kappa and bringing her down with her while the rice ball's trajectory dropped it safely in the upturned cap.

To make matters worse, before she could even get up off the poor girl, Rumia had already took a dive right for them, looking quite ravenous and threatening. Chen screamed in alarm, flattened her ears and quickly pointed her hand towards the darkness youkai, not just firing shots across the bow this time like she had done for Nitori - she let loose a spray of danmaku poised to neutralize the perceived threat, entirely by instinct and reflex. "Get back!"
Chen
Main Character

Postby Nitori Kawashiro » 03 Nov 2010 01:08

To be completely, utterly honest, Nitori was holding the laughter she drew from the amusement gained from watching this scene of slapstick accidents and tumbling over. At first, she thought these youkai were scary because they assaulted her. But now...They seemed like nothing more than a bunch of innocent buffoons...Nitori could sympathize. But that didn't stop her from enjoying this scene every little bit.

And then the blond one came lunging right at her. Perhaps she was wrong. They all seemed violent in one way or another, and by now each one of them had attempted an attack on the poor kappa. But, Nitori was paralyzed to the spot with sudden fear. It wasn't fear "oh no I'm doomed" fear, it was more like..."OH GOD WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?!" fear. Of course, with this new found fear, she acted differently than her other fear. Instead of begging for mercy and sitting away from the attention, she performed an instinctive reflex...

Her hand shot into her pocket and she pointed a device right at Rumia. Before Chen acted, Nitori jabbed the tazer into Rumia's chest and clicked.

"Ahhh! Kappa~!" She screamed as she shocked the poor darkness youkai.
Nitori Kawashiro
Main Character

Next

Return to Archive