[Open] Flowerviewing for the Dead

Locations: Garden of the Sun, Nameless Hill, Muendzuka, Sanzu River
Forum rules
Gensokyo is a large place, littered with many mysterious and interesting places. The Garden of the Sun is a great field of sun flowers, often watched over by the powerful youkai, Yuka Kazami. A small hill near the Garden of the Sun is called The Nameless Hill, a place where humans once threw the children they could not care for. The hill is covered in the deadly Suzuran flower, and a hostile youkai doll named Medicine Melancholy can often be seen there. Muendzuka, up north to the side of the Road of Reconsideration is a mysterious place where many strong youkai tend to lurk. Occasionally Komachi Onozuka, the ferryman of the Sanzu river, can be seen there, usually in the process of shirking her duties. The Sanzu river that exists between Higan and Gensokyo runs through the area close by.

[Open] Flowerviewing for the Dead

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 11 Jul 2013 16:06

The Road of Reconsideration is a depressing place. All sorts of the dead with no trace of the living, even to those who are still alive. It was a long road stretching all the way from the Forest of Magic to a place where, if memory served Merlin right, the most beautiful cherry blossoms can be seen. On some days, its side was lined with flowers that were no less beautiful than the blossoms.

But those flowers are poisonous, they say about these Higanbana. Merlin wasn't so sure what's so poisonous about them. They also say that those who walks the path are always the sort who want to die, who find nothing else to stand for in life. Merlin wasn't so sure why that was, too, but she could feel it in the atmosphere. A lot of dead music folded in the air, the sort that never came up.

She? Goodness, no. She wouldn't want to die even if all in life had failed. She was a musician, a performer. She lived to live, and to persuade others to do the same. Then again, perhaps the will to live was easier for her because she was not alive to begin with. Or dead, for that matter.

Regardless, the poltergeist was not here to die. Like so many of her other ventures, she was here to perform. And to flowerview. Merlin had only spent a few moments with them, most of which in the whirl of danmaku, but she wanted to see them again: The beautiful purple cherry blossom of Muenzuka.

It was just past this road, wasn't it? When Merlin was here last, she was in hiding, trailing behind Lyrica, and with a clear purpose. Didn't have time to feel the surrounding back then. Now that she did, she wondered if it was better back then. The dead aura is unbearable. How can a place that isn't the Sanzu be so bleak?
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Re: [Open] Flowerviewing for the Dead

Postby Soga no Tojiko » 27 Jul 2013 17:12

Melancholic.

That pretty much sums up her feelings in one convenient word. Even when living she has heard a lot of stories about ghosts with regrets haunting places where they’ve died or experienced enormous regret while living. Then is then, here is now, and she never would’ve predicted that she’ll become one of them. Not quite the same since the Mausoleum became obsolete, and she’s not quite sure if a ghost with a feeling of melancholy without regret is still the same thing as those lingering apparitions. She’d assume that they’re similarly depressing perhaps. Like these apparitions she’s currently engaging in a conversation with.

To anyone else it wasn’t really clear on what exactly she was doing here in the Road of Reconsideration. It’s not like the ghost wanted to move on to another life…though she certainly looks like it. No ghost with a neutrally-bored expression floating alongside the road will ever become recognized as anything but that, though the fact that she still retains her living guise shows a clue about her true nature. Truthfully, perhaps she wanted to see what she can experience should she chose the other side, by observing it as close as it’s possible. In the eyes of an untrained observer, Tojiko’s no more than other little fireballs of spirit she occasionally encounters in the road.

The black bile without regret caused her a familiar feeling of nostalgia. Indeed, the surreal beauty of the region reminds her of home, a long-long time ago. Both distant and unattainable, the feeling continuously nags her on the back of her head, constantly reminding her of what she lost by choosing to stick to her decision a long time ago.

If she listened to it for a few more hours she’ll definitely develop some sort of regret, maybe even one of two voices in her head. That’s how she figured out that what she needs now is a real conversational partner…A most casual talk for anyone one might think, but not those walking on the Road of Reconsideration.

The majority of souls drifting on the road are those unfortunate lost souls who have no relatives or no identity that Gensokyo recognizes. They’re not usually ones who are actively seeking for conversation, self-absorbed in their own desires or lamenting the unfortunate fate they have. Those souls –can- be heard, but they are not likely to return your answers. Talking to them isn’t any better than talking with your delusions.

Now the somewhat rarer sort of unfortunate souls are those who are still left with questions on how, where, and why they die. They make great conversation partners because they have life stories, and they want someone to hear it.

The rarest of the rare are those souls who are still in denial about their state, those that are still clinging to their already lost mortality. They’re the perfect conversation partners, life stories, delusions, and even some of them retain their human shape, like the young man in front of Tojiko currently telling her why he’s here.

“Ever entertain the thought that maybe you didn’t manage to escape the monster?” The young man shakes his head, Tojiko chuckles. “You’re an interesting one. I’m a ghost you know. Did you consider the fact that you’re able to see and interact with me?”

“…Well, I might have been quite sensitive before,” The young man hesitantly answers.

“A believer, aren’t you?” She then notices another humanoid shape in the distance, approaching on the two of them. “Oh, there’s another one? It might be getting crowded here if this continues.” Calling to the humanoid shape, she mouths, “Are you lost too?”
Soga no Tojiko
Main Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 29 Jul 2013 12:09

(( A new post? A new post! And just when I was thinking of scrapping this one after my brain stopped working properly. Thanks for the revive, mate. ))

The air was singing to her. The sort of sad longing song that Lunasa liked to hum, the sort that sometimes sneaked into their concert when Merlin wasn't being overly loud (hence why she was usually overly loud). In other words, the sort of song that she never wanted to hear for too long. It might drive her crazy, she deduced one day. What with all these talks of death and despair and losing something forever.

It was sort of funny, actually. They told her that her music was crazy. Wild and mad and all sort of nuttiness. Well, she liked her own song, and the poltergeist figured that she might as well show these sad songs whose songs were crazier.

A trumpet came out of nowhere, a bit over her shoulder. It was Merlin's, of course. And then it started to play a note, followed by another, and another. The notes formed melodies, and the melodies formed a song. It was a rapid, loud, madly happy sort of song. And it was good. Much better than the current atmosphere.

For a moment, Merlin could feel the world following to her fast-paced song, playing the same festive tune. But soon enough, the sad song in the air caught up, intrude into her own song and almost... twisted it into something else. Whoa, scary. But Merlin improvised, and for the moment, the two were even. Awkwardly so, but still. She briefly wondered if this was a good idea, after all.

“Are you lost too?”

"No, I don't think I am," Merlin replied, rather cheerfully. Cheerful was her default tone, and at the moment she was rather preoccupied with battling the song that might as well only took place in her head. Didn't even consider who, or what, it was that she was talking to. "I'm still in the right place, at least. It's still the Road of Reconsideration, isn't it?"

As Merlin came closer, she noticed the ghost, and the other ghost. One of them was familiar. Tojiko, was it? The other was new. Neither of them were appealing. There were songs coming out of them, too, and their songs were no better than the one she was hearing right now. In fact, she was certain that they were a part of it.

Merlin was not one to stray from conversation, however. She came closer and smiled to the two. "Hello! Nice to see you. I' m Merlin Prismriver, and I'm here to see the beautiful cherry blossoms of Muenzuka," she said, as a matter of introduction. Her trumpet was still playing. A happy song, balancing between fighting the other song and playing itself.
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Soga no Tojiko » 03 Aug 2013 14:33

(No problemo. Oh, and if you want you can also take control of the NPC ghosts, including the young man. Think of them like Sin Sacks. V:)

“W-where are we?”

The young man’s voice waver, it’s a result of his doubts returning to form most likely. It’s only by his attachments that he can maintain the will to form his ghostly body, so the doubt would only serve to strengthen his ties to the world, a funny thing indeed. His confusion is apparent in his voice too, likely the cause of his doubt and the result of his lack of doubt over what’s happening right now. A chain reaction that’s all too common for lost person from the other side.

Yes, the other side. Tojiko had meant to ask him about that…but it seems that in his state of mind right now it wouldn’t do much good. Waiting seems to be the best course of action right now.

The sound of the trumpet signifies that this next apparition is out of the ordinary, to be bluntly speaking. Music isn’t something that can be found very often in the Road of Reconsideration, and the reaction of the other apparitions is predictable. A commotion is growing just as the cheery melody crashed against the overwhelming despair mood of the place, creating the sort of weird effect that compels you to follow its every move. The effect of a performance perhaps, and Tojiko noticed that Merlin is beginning to attract audiences. Just like business as usual it seems.

” It's still the Road of Reconsideration, isn't it?"

“But of course,” Tojiko answers while observing the change in the guest’s face. “The place where souls consider their lives and where they might end up. It’s a quaint little place.” She waits until the fog reveals the source of the merry sounds, a face that she had seen a lot of times before, though not in this particular place. “Not quite the center of the Human Village though.” She noticed that the young man’s face briefly lightens up at the mention of ‘human’, though he seems hesitant to follow up on it.

Toijko observes as the poltergeist introduces herself, perhaps less towards the lightning ghost than to the young man and the other ghosts slowly but surely attracted to the noise. Just like a performer to announce their identity before starting with a number it seems.

”I’ve heard of that place, both for its beauty and other things less savory. However it’s nice to have a destination in mind right?” The last part of the sentence’s particularly addressed towards the young man, who by now has been somewhat entranced by the poltergeist’s song.

“W-well…” His indecisiveness grows by the seconds, unsure of what to follow or where to head…
Soga no Tojiko
Main Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 05 Aug 2013 16:51

"Naw, 'course it's not," Merlin said to Tojiko. With all her concertration on the ongoing mental battle, she only caught the Human Village part of whatever it was that the ghost was saying. "I sure hope it's at least as nice as it is, though. It's way too moody here."

High notes, low notes, pitched down a notch. Wind, air, vibration, acoustic echoes. Atmosphere, oh, definitely atmosphere. There was quite a lot of things that a musician must pay attention to, apparently. Merlin had never noticed that before. It was usually just smooth and easy playing for the easygoing trumpeter. Never had to deal with this much... opposition. Wow, and she thought the Netherworld was a challenge.

She looked at the two that she met. They were playing their own songs, too. Tojiko was a bit dark and solemn. Guilty and only a bit tricky tunes. But the other man was different. His song was... confused. Wild slow notes playing without a clear melody. There was some sadness about it too, but he was mostly doubt, uncertainty, and a... willingness to be comforted?

"Well, you don't look so good," Merlin said to the young, ghostly, man. "Are you really lost?"

Merlin could feel her magic working, at last, realizing that he was listening. She played a bit louder, a bit varied, just for him, and the poltergeist could feel her song dominating. A bit happier, more carefree.

In a more tangible sight, the young man was listening. He wasn't quite sure why - it didn't assure or tell him about anything that was happening - but he was starting to feel better, at least.

Noticing that her music was working, Merlin smiled and turned to the other ghost. This one... might take some work. Eh, she'll get around it somehow. "Less savory, huh? Well, what have you heard of it? I haven't hear a lot, actually," she said, truthfully. Not least because less savory talks are quite outside her radars.
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Soga no Tojiko » 11 Aug 2013 04:43

The music does a really good job of breaking the norm for these apparitions. Even for just a short time, the atmosphere of the place really does change from the somber monotone of the despairing circumstances into something that resembles festivity. Tojiko can see that some of them still act somewhat awkward, nonetheless perhaps still adjusting to the somewhat unfamiliar sensation that was missing ever since they died.

Well, the young man seems to be different, but she’d be surprised if he was dead for more than a couple of days or so. He seemed to embrace the music more readily than the other spirits, probably because it reminds him of everything he missed. It was only natural for those who still have attachments to long for those he holds dear.

”Are you really lost?”

“I-I’m not sure,” He eyes the vengeful spirit with a bit of a disbelief in his eyes and continues, “she said that I’m no longer in the place I was before…I don’t quite get it…I mean, I was just walking in the woods near my house and suddenly I was attacked by these…shapes.” The young man stopped, unsure if he’s even remembering it right. “I think I managed to get away, but after that by the time I noticed the surroundings I’ve been hopelessly lost.” Tojiko resists the urge to roll her eyes at this last statement. It seems he’s deeper in denial than she thought.

Deciding that he’s probably going to accept it soon enough, Tojiko shifts her attention towards the poltergeist’s question, “Mostly the human village. They call it all sorts of things. That it’s the place where the dead without relatives rest. That it’s the place where those without purpose ended up contemplating suicide. That it’s the place where you can mysteriously end up in the other side, whether that’s the land of the dead or places stranger still.” She floats slowly alongside the road while she explains, “Oh, and that it’s one of the most beautiful flower-viewing place you will ever find, but they’re quick to add that it’s not going to worth the troubles.
Soga no Tojiko
Main Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 16 Aug 2013 13:58

Merlin's song was working. She couldn't hear the sad song anymore. They had retreated, it seemed. Now all she heard was what everyone else also heard, her own music, and the light wind that only complemented it. Then she looked around, and saw many more spirits floating in the air, barely visible. They were listening to her music too. It made her happy, and she kept playing.

The young man was probably the most attentive listener. Merlin listened to his story. She gave him a better look. Hmm... Merlin didn't know much about ghosts - or spirits, or apparitions - despite being called on herself. She could tell that there was a difference between ghosts and nonghosts, and she heard that a lot of ghosts are souls of a deceased. But surely, there are plenty of spirits that are not dead? Merlin herself was neither dead nor alive.

There was something funny about this one, though. She could hear his song. It was dead, but he acted like he was alive. Nothing, she supposed, was wrong with that, though.

"Well, this isn't a forest. You must be a long way from home," Merlin said, retaining her cheery mood. "It's fine being lost, actually. You could see a lot of places. Just enjoy it!" She smiled, her trumpet played a pitch more garbled, but still harmonic, as if agreeing. "I tend to get lost myself, but I just play my trumpet and everything will be fine."

Merlin started walking then - or sometimes floating, as it were - with Tojiko beside her, following the path of the road. The young man seemed reluctant and confused, at first. Not knowing how to respond, he followed them from behind. Merlin was still playing her trumpet, but he had none. He wondered what he's supposed to play if he was going to follow her suggestion.

Meanwhile, Merlin was listening to Tojiko "Well, that explains why they're all so depressing," she said, referring to the spirits' songs. ""Well, I'm not dead. Can I still mysteriously ends up in the land of the dead? ... Wait, I already often do. I perform in the Netherworld, sometimes. That's the land of the dead, isn't it? But it doesn't feel as sad this place, most of the time. Maybe it's because of the ghost princess. She's always so cheerful."

And then something occurred to her. These songs are dead. These spirits are all dead... What does that even mean, death? She had never known death... not since Layla.

"Yeah... I heard people who wants to die come here. Though I don't see why they would. What's dying like?" Merlin asked, rather absent-mindedly. She didn't realize that Tojiko was dead herself.

"For the record, though," she added. "Those cherry blossom are beautiful. I'd say it's worth it. Besides, I'm always happy to share my trumpet with anyone.
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Soga no Tojiko » 19 Aug 2013 11:03

Yes, nothing wrong inherently with acting just the way you did when you were alive. Indeed, Tojiko herself didn’t have to adjust much of her behavior while living to the wonderful world of the other side of the mortal veil, though she wondered sometimes how much her own attachment towards the world of the living contributed to that fact.

Then why dwell on the fact that the young man prefers to stay within his own delusions? Tojiko wouldn’t admit it easily, but it seems that she felt slighted by the young man’s continued persistence on clinging to his past. After all nothing should make you remember the past you can’t return to than a constant reminder of it right? The fact that the young man and her are more alike than what first impression showed are becoming more and more apparent.

So does the music by the way, and while she’s not opposed of a little background music Tojiko isn’t quite sure if she should ask the poltergeist to turn it down or just revel in the absurdity of it all. Speaking of ‘not quite sure’, the young man seems to follow them out of force of habit more than anything else.

“It does feel nice.” By now the young man and a lot of the other ghosts are beginning to follow the trumpeter around like a twisted rendition of a western fairy tale. Not entirely their own fault perhaps, nothing is more routine-breaking from the silence you’re used to than a loud melody. A continuous loud melody at that. “You don’t…you don’t mind if I follow you around for a little bit do you? Perhaps until we arrived at this cherry blossom viewing place you’re going.”

Well whaddya know, seems like the music does wonders to his acceptance, even though it was most likely unintentional.

Meanwhile, a bit subconsciously perhaps, Tojiko is getting drawn more and more towards the poltergeist’s pace. It was subtle, or at least no overt manipulation she can trace from her words or behavior, but her music can and had affected her like any other ghost. She’s not quite sure when her objective switched from ‘looking around this curious place’ into ‘the flower-viewing place’, but she guessed that Merlin’s enthusiasm’s translated from her feelings to her music, influencing her decision. Moreover it’s not like Tojiko’s averse to that idea, so she kept on going for now.

She also gained a couple of conversation partners, that’s always a plus. Even with the poltergeist’s scatterbrained conversation topic Tojiko can still follow it…somewhat.

”Cheerful yes, that’s a good term to put it.” She tries to recall the sporadic meeting she had with the Mistress of the Netherworld. While she’s not what Tojiko’d call possessing good qualities for a ‘strong’ leader she does have charisma and likability in abundance. Perhaps those are what made that gardener of hers so loyal to her. ”She’s a far cry from these spirits aren’t she? I wonder why that is…” It’s probably one of the most obvious answer anyone can give her.

What's dying like?"

Now that question is a good one. ”The pain was fleeting, and what followed can be somewhat empty if you let it consume you.” Tojiko never dwelled on what the initial feeling was like, but anything after that hasn’t been an unpleasant experience by her account. ”But what followed was an experience not unlike what you’re experiencing right now. Perhaps the secret is in our state of mind.”

”If it’s half as beautiful as the ones in the Netherworld it should be a worthy experience.” If there is one thing she can admit by her own brief sojourn to the land of the Mistress is that it was one of the finest flower-viewing place she had ever seen. Perhaps this one shall prove to be another.
Soga no Tojiko
Main Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 04 Sep 2013 10:49

(( Hey, can write again! Also, uhh, to clear up confusion. Merlin is going to see the cherry blossoms in Muenzuka, at the end of the Road of Reconsideration. I've no idea why I said Higanbana earlier. That's the flowers around the road. Sorry! ))

Stopping her trumpet? Oh no no no. She was just getting started. Besides, if her music stopped, the dead songs would return, and then it would be like a battle all over again. She didn't want to risk that; maybe she oughtta keep playing all the way until Muenzuka. Everybody seemed to enjoy it. There were already all sort of ghosts and spirits tailing her.

"Eh, somewhat empty?" Merlin said, to Tojiko's rather ambiguous explanation of dying. "That's... I don't really get it. But, if dying's not that bad why do people seems to think so badly of it? Some people seemed scared of it. And death always had this... depressed feeling around it." That kind of feeling, she knew firsthand, when Layla passed. But she still couldn't figure out why.

"Maybe.... It's something to do with this being alive thing?" She thought about it. "Oh, you died once. Were you alive before? What's being alive like?"

Merlin looked around her as she talked. The ghosts were barely visible at first, but there really were quite many of them. Of all sorts of shapes. Some were the common floating ball of gas, but some of them, like the man, looked mostly human, or humanoid. Some of them looked like they were sick, some of them looked sad, although cheered by her song, some looked perfectly normal. Hmm... And then there's Tojiko. She seems a fine lady, nice and lively and all.

Suddenly, Merlin smelled something in the air, mixed with the humid poisonous air that she didn't notice before. But this small, tiny scent was lovely, although filled with a song she couldn't quite put a finger on. Was that the cherry blossom?
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Soga no Tojiko » 06 Sep 2013 12:37

(Yeah, I always thought you're talking about Muenzuka when you talked about the cherry blossoms. I think you brought up the Higanbana as a comparison with the cherry blossoms.)

The answer would differ from person to person. Tojiko deliberately fosters the sense of ambiguousness even in the form of her tone of speaking. She remembers that the musician sisters weren’t exactly ghosts that rose from a mortal existence like her, so Tojiko’s clearly trying to jog Merlin’s imagination about what constitute about living and dying, evidently with varying degrees of success. ”A lot of people seems to have very little clue about what actually lies in the other side. What they don’t know, they fear, and some people even cling to the faintest trace of their mortal life.”

As she briefly stares at the direction of the young man, he can feel a clear chilly sensation beginning to creep around him. It's like someone running up blocks of ice all over his body.

Maybe…It’s something to do with this being alive thing?

Ah, it seems she finally managed to pique her curiosity.

Oh, you died once. Were you alive before? What’s being alive like?

”You act very much alive yet you don’t know how being alive feels? What a strange question. Look at how these ghosts act when you’re around.” Tojiko makes a sweeping gesture towards the surrounding specters. ”Look at how attracted they are to it. Imagine one day it all suddenly gets taken away from you. Imagine how it all suddenly replaced by the loneliness of the grave. It’s only natural, human nature perhaps, to act like what they’re doing right now.” She once again made a conscious effort to make an example of herself from the discussion.

”I told you before didn’t I? About how many of them still clinging to their lost mortality? She never did, or at least not to the poltergeist. It was very much the words she uttered many, many times to herself. ”No matter how you pretend that something is true won’t make it true.” She’s not quite sure how much her last sentence is directed towards Merlin or herself.

The young man’s attention however, was not in the conversation his two most chatty of companions, instead his eyes firmly fixated towards the vast plains of Higanbana nearby…
Soga no Tojiko
Main Character

Postby Merlin Prismriver » 19 Sep 2013 13:20

"So... People are scared of what they don't know?" Merlin said. The idea of life and death was clearly still fuzzy in her mind, but his interest was piqued. "But I see lots of ghosts and dead people around. Seems like everybody in Gensokyo's seen them too. Don't you suppose everybody knows what death was like then? Dead people don't seem to act any differ-"

Merlin paused. She looked around her. The spirits, the ghosts, the shapeless apparitions here and there, trailing her and her music. No, they certainly are different to the living. Sure, from the outside they can look and act fine. But there was always these aura to them. Even the nicest ghosts like Lady Yuyuko or Tojiko here, who can blend along with the living, will always be different.

”Look at how attracted they are to it. Imagine one day it all suddenly gets taken away from you.”

"I don't get it. I still don't," Merlin said, truthfully. She glanced behind her. The man was still following them. His head swayed a bit, and his step was rhythmical, still following to the tempo of her trumpet. This one was certainly attracted, along with dozens of others spirits around. "But... do I act alive, really?" She smiled. Somehow, that comment made her feel so much better.

”No matter how you pretend that something is true won’t make it true.”

"Sure is. It's just how you look at things," Merlin said. "I'm not alive... Err, not dead either. But everybody always acts like I'm the liveliest part of a party. Even you say so. It's just how you look at things, and how you act on it. If you feel like you're alive, and everybody else thinks the same, you can't be anything else."

Merlin was not entirely sure where that outburst came from. Maybe it was the way the mood was going down again. She didn't want that, her trumpet didn't want that. So they started playing faster. Anyway, it seemed the right thing to say.

"I don't think I've heard of this lost mortality, though. I might be missing a piece-"

"Oh."

That last word was not from Merlin, but from the dead man behind her. And he was no looking at her. He was looking at what's in front of them. It was the end of the road.

The song of the Road of Consideration was one of desperation, frustration, and regret. The song of Muenzuka was different. They were both sad, swerving around the sound of longing and death. But in Muenzuka, the air seemed to be at peace with the earth. No more regret, no more hesitation...

But for once, Merlin thought, enough about the songs. It was not the inaudible music. It was the trees.

Beautiful purple cherry blossoms. They were not in full bloom, not quite yet. But she could see enough of the flowers. The song of death that was, for once, not very sad.
Merlin Prismriver
Main Character

Postby Soga no Tojiko » 21 Sep 2013 11:52

”This land is…different.” That’s perhaps the most apt description she can come up in response of Gensokyo’s…untraditional views of death. What the poltergeist said isn’t false if one looks at it exclusively from the point of view of the Land of Illusion. ”Understand that the way it goes in Gensokyo isn’t the same as it was. Here ghosts may very well walk amongst the living, but that’s not how it works in other places.” She’s not quite sure if the Yama of Gensokyo even endorses that interpretation of the rules of the dead, but Tojiko doesn’t necessarily want the answer to that question answered. ”Even if you propose to know it there are still…mysteries about death.”

Why does human being need to experience death? Is it really necessary in the end?

The echoes of questions long asked in the past comes back to fill her head once more. She never quite found out the definite answer to those questions. Perhaps she has found it, but lost it. Either way it won’t make a difference to her present state of being.

It’s just how you look at things, and how you act on it. If you feel like you’re alive, and everybody else thinks the same, you can’t be anything else

Tojiko considers Merlin’s words for a second or two while watching how festive the others behave. It really looks like they’re in a merry trip for flower-viewing with this kind of attitude. The music helped, it really did. It allows them to at least relive their lost mortality, if only to finally relinquish it at the end of the road.

”A matter of perception, isn’t it? In their perception you do look and sound like someone who radiates life.” She gave another look at the commotion around her. If they have all been adopting their mortal guise it would be fairly similar to the same festivity as performed by mortals. It’s both true and false at the same time. Vague answers. It has always been that way ever since she can remember. ”Perhaps that’s true in a sense. Perhaps with their perception they can return to those days. I’m not sure if it’s the whole truth…” She pauses for a second, ”…but I don’t think it matters right now.”

Perhaps even the young man can see that their journey wasn’t a long one.

”Muenzuka’s just ahead, when we reach that place we can determine for ourselves where our destination lies.”
Soga no Tojiko
Main Character

Return to The Gensokyo Plains