[Open to Myouren] Buddhavacana

Archive for threads set in the Human Village.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Open to Myouren] Buddhavacana

Postby Reimu Hakurei » 26 May 2013 05:40

“Should even one's enemy arrive at the doorstep, he should be attended upon with respect. A tree does not withdraw its cooling shade even from the one who has come to cut it.”
Mahabharata 12.146.5

The path wasn't really there, not really. Some of the villagers decided it was supposed to be a Zen sort of thing, but that was hardly an obstacle for the red-white. She floated along, occasionally phasing in and out of reality, as if totally disconnected from it at the time. Her clothes were torn and smudged, looking almost angry. Or at least, distracted by something that was annoying her. A couple of trees along the way to the Myouren temple had miko-shaped dents from her fists, leaving bloody callouses. Her face was screwed up like she was trying to decide if she wanted to scream or just collapse in a huff. The girl weaved and bobbed, almost flying drunkenly before settling on the Temple Road. Glancing around, nobody seemed to be home. Reimu didn't even look like she was sure how or why she'd come here. But her tattered ribbon was evidence enough of her distraught state of mind. A fulminating priestess she seemed like, one fit to burst from something bothering her.

A couple exhalations later and her expression would calm to one of feigned indifference and annoyance at the existence of just about everything and everyone. Most wouldn't be able to tell the difference from her usual stance, in that regard. The red-white trapsed up and down the Temple Road, considering the Bodhisattva's that lined it quietly. Her expression softened a little, finding one whose face was covered in moss, towards the back. Brushing along his (her?) face and nose, she'd scrub it clean. A strange, manic thing to do but it seemed to calm the girl. Frazzled hair sticking out at all angles, she'd fold her hands across her stomach looking about again. Still quiet, even the birds seemed like they were in a trance, lulled by some invisible song. A song that had new notes added as Reimu entered the scene.

The Temple itself was quite impressive, to be sure, almost a work of art. And yet...the graveyard. Reimu was standing in the graveyard now. Fingers running over old tombstones and steles. How old must they be, the villagers had wondered? Reimu's eyes wandered over them with total indifference.

"Seems like a lonely place to lay for so long. I don't suppose Byakuren hid her treasure with the dead before we showed up. That would just be my luck."

Muttering to herself, Reimu looked as if she might want to start digging just to be sure. Her spine stiffened, looking over her shoulder back at the Temple. She wasn't the only one here.
Reimu Hakurei
Forum/IRC Moderator

Re: [Open to Myouren] Buddhavacana

Postby Murasa Minamitsu » 27 May 2013 17:21

A shrine maiden in the cemetery? An intruder, or just a visitor? Or a boarder... no, no, the palanquin's flying days were long over. Well, mostly. Could still take it out for a ride now and then, on the slower days.

Red and white, red and white... who did that, anyway? Flying colours for surrender and battle... or a storm and a surrender? Made no sense, anyway. Completely barmy thing to do, anyway. Best not to leave her alone, just in case she starts anything.

"It's not that bad," Murasa announces, strolling over to Reimu from behind one of the taller tombstones. "Seen quieter places, 'round the bottom of the sea. Company's good enough here if you know where to look, at least. What's a graveyard if you can't count on the restless dead showing up?" ...Well, 'restless' wasn't quite right. Clearly dissatisfied with this, she adds "...not like yours truly, o'course. I took today off."

She clicks her fingers, the sound ringing out loudly in the otherwise dusty and silent cemetery, flashing Reimu the biggest grin she could manage. This Hakurei lady was a strange one, no doubt about that, but she could be inspiring.

"'Fraid the boss doesn't hold with keeping her own treasures, but you're on to something there, butterfly." She'd heard something once before, about how a butterfly flapping its wings could start a storm who knows where. Crazy talk, of course; that, or she had a lesson to teach to a couple of the little bugs. Still, with one like this... well now, there's a story she could believe.

"Ought to hide some good old-fashioned pirate gold around the place some time. I better ask the boys if they're in the mood to join in a little treasure hunt, though. Just plain disrespectful, burying treasure in a graveyard and not giving all those deaders a chance to join in the fun."

A few seconds more, and the grin is gone, replaced by the best serious expression the captain can manage, which is to say, not much of one at all. Still, there were other things to deal with first, before joking around. Rule seventeen: Work first, sheets to the wind later, no stalling.

...Was it seventeen? Probably seventeen. Definitely seventeen. Should check later, all the same.

"Alright, listen, you're not what I'd call a regular visitor 'round these parts, and I've seen corpses looking happier than you do right now." That much was true, anyway. There was a lot to learn from skeletons, always taking on the world with a smile, but that's a lesson for another time.

"Now, last time those two went together, you ran around spraying those little paper things and smacking the lot of us upside the head with that, uh... papery faith-stick thing you've got. Forget the word. Last two times, come to think of it, but you sure did look happy about it when you came to the temple, so I don't know if I can count that. Point is, it's never good."

She takes up a seat on a tombstone next to Reimu. Rude enough ordinarily, that's true; she would never consider it in an unfamiliar graveyard. This was different, though. Her chair was open to any ghost who felt like using it when she was away, and, well, a captain's old chair (they wouldn't miss it anyway) was a fair bit better to sit on than a headstone. That had to make it even, at the very least.

No one complained yet, that's the important thing.

"Go on, then; what's eating you, Sleeves? Don't you worry about telling me, you know what they say; deaders, tales and not telling any." She puts a finger to her chin, frowning slightly, then corrects herself. "Well... no. Told 'bout five just today, actually, but I'll keep it to old stories, just for you. Deal?"
Murasa Minamitsu
Alternate Character

Postby Reimu Hakurei » 02 Jun 2013 01:39

Reimu raised her head, her ribbon hanging a bit loose in her hair. Dark hair falling about her face as she fixated her gaze upon the curious Mariner that addressed her. Her bemused expression would gradually shift to one of impassiveness. She suddenly leaned in, peering at Murasa's hat as if it were some new, foreign creature that menaced her. The miko circled the ghost, as if she didn't hear her. What in Myouren's name could she be up to? Finally coming to a stop in front of her, she'd cross her arms decisively.

"I knew I smelled sea salt when I came in here. And yes, I suppose a graveyard is supposed to be quiet, but if it's all the same to you, I'd rather not be on the sea or under it. Or over it, for that matter. I get sea sick. Oh, you're dead."

It was a statement of fact, rather than a question. The miko seemed curiously indifferent to it. Or at least it answered some unasked question. She looked back over the headstones while Murasa spoke, eyes roaming along row after row, running her raw fingers over the cool stone. Ears almost perked like those of a feline's, when she heard "Treasure." But her face was crestfallen when Murasa explained none was present.

"Butterfly? That's a new one. I like that. I don't suppose you Buddhists can make me some butterfly wings? Don't you specialize in miracles or magic or something? I suppose they'd be largely pointless, since I can fly anyways. But then I'd get mistaken for a fairy and exterminated. So never mind then!"

With that errant thought apparently concluded, her expression would shift imperceptibly when Mursasa addressed her mood. She worked visibly to conceal what might be going on, her bloodied fingers played with the hem of her dress and running over the frills lightly. A soothing action, it was repeated time and again.

"Mmn, well, I just got done with rebuilding the shrine for the sixteenth time in as many years." A nonsense statement, as she couldn't be a day over sixteen herself. "But I thought I'd take a break from inhaling saw dust and soak in the riveting sights of the local potter's field. An educational experience, don't you agree? Well, I suppose you would being a ghost."

She was evading the subject pretty well, but it was also clear that Reimu was a terrible liar. Better at confusing than deceiving. She sat down on the gravestone beside Murasa, one leg crossing over the other casually, as if they were at a picnic. Her eyes were wide and dark, looking almost like she wasn't even there. Murasa might as well be sitting around talking to herself (again).

"Sleeves...I liked Butterfly better. It at least had a feminine touch to it. And why do you want to know what I ate?"

Reimu paused, then peered really closely at Murasa once more.

"Who are you, again?"
Reimu Hakurei
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Murasa Minamitsu » 02 Jun 2013 14:28

"Me?" She answers, all too pleased with the question. "Oh, only captain Minamitsu Murasa, spirit of the ocean, terror of thirty high seas, kraken hunter, captain of the holy palanquin, dread pirate, retired captain of the Flying Dutchman, escapee from Davy Jones' locker, and... ah, forget it. We'll be here all day if I let myself get nostalgic. I'll tell you the rest some other time, deal?"

With an expression of bright-eyed triumph, she hops off the tombstone, spinning her ladle about between her fingers. "'Course, you can just call me Captain. No point drawing a name out for too long. And you can be Butterfly for now, I s'pose, till I think of something better."

It was no surprise, really, that Reimu had been able to guess Murasa's presence. Everywhere she went, she was followed by the faint scent of salt, a thin mist around her feet. If one were to listen carefully enough, they would hear the occasional creaking oars, splashing waves, or the call of a seagull.

On the other hand, the seagull may be to blame for the last part.

A large and none too quiet seagull, adorned with a few strips of cobwebs and pieces of dust, settles on Murasa's shoulder. Everything about it indicates that the bird is in quite good health, except for the fact that nothing but bone remains in place of its head.

"Oh, there you are. Good of you to join us, No-Eyes." She jerks a thumb over at the seagull, still looking at Reimu. "Don't worry about th' whole... corpse thing. He's alright, 'less you're a shrimp. Got a real eye for shrimp, he does. Figuratively, I mean. You... aren't one, right? Right. Thought so. Been trying to get a parrot for years, anyway, but I just haven't had any luck."

With a small frown, she adds "not a buddhist, by the way. Just not really the 'inner peace' type. I mean, I had all eight back in the day, but I didn't much care for it, y'know? Point is, I'm asking what's got the little shrine-sweeper so upset, Butterfly. Guess it could be the rebuildin', though. I mean, sixteen times... what do you even do in there, sit and smash mirrors all day?"

...How did she know she got seasick anyway?
Murasa Minamitsu
Alternate Character

Postby Reimu Hakurei » 04 Jun 2013 06:06

"Smash mirrors, smash mirrors..."

Reimu repeated the phrase, as if trying it out. A new parasol or set of shoes for a rainy day. Did her shrine even have a mirror? Certainly such a thing was possible, but if it had ever possessed one most likely it'd been replaced time and again as various incidents took its toll. Rebuilding your shrine once every six years as a religious tradition was one thing but this was quite another. Also much more expensive. She looked like she'd made up her mind to start a new hobby when the Seagull showed up. Quite unexpected for the audience, but Reimu was totally unfazed.

"Cap'n Murasa hm? You know, I dimly recall exterminating someone wearing your outfit. Though that was a little while ago and I can't really remember if it was the same person. You're a little more memorable than she was though. Especially since I think she was throwing anchors at me, and you've got a very fancy coat with no anchor in sight."

She would peer at the amazingly life-like bird on Murasa's shoulder, debating perhaps, if she ought to risk petting it. Or if something might break or flake away if she did such. Thinking better of it apparently, she'd keep her hands to herself.

"Not a Buddhist? That's sort of disappointing. I think that's why I came, at least. Its been too quiet so I figured I'd see if anyone was trying to burn this temple down. After the last couple messes, I got the impression that's a thing that happens occasionally when I'm not around. But I don't see any fire, nor Byakuren, so I suppose you'll do for company. Got any stories? But no sutras! My nap's not until later this afternoon."
Reimu Hakurei
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Murasa Minamitsu » 08 Jun 2013 11:11

"Well now," the captain answers, not the least bit bothered by Reimu apparently having come to see the temple set on fire, "if you want fire, don't get too disappointed, just stick around till night. There's this ghost, name of Elmo, starts up all sorts of pretty little blue fires and sparks once the moon's up. Ought to see it some day."

At the closest she was likely to get to actual recollection from Reimu, Murasa winces slightly, but soon laughs it off. Plenty of time to patch up a bad first impression, and if she didn't remember much from the first time, that was all the more reason to make the second meeting stick.

"Fancy, eh? Why thank you, always did like this coat. Left the old anchor at the temple, but, ah, that was me back there. Gonna be honest with you, you didn't exactly catch me at my best there. Had to prepare for a crazy old voyage and all, I was round about seven sheets to the wind. Courage in a bottle, you follow? Think I might've had some nasty seafood, too. Don't, uh, don't do that."

Not that any of this would affect a ghost, of course, but Reimu didn't need to know that.

"Now let's see here... stories? Can't say I know any sutras anyway, so that should be easy. Now, some of these exploits might be, ah, just a little legendary, so you'll have to forgive me if you've heard 'em before, Butterfly. You ever hear about the time I cheated death a second time? First time cursed gold worked out well for anyone, let me tell you."
Murasa Minamitsu
Alternate Character

Postby Mamizou Futatsuiwa » 12 Jun 2013 03:03

As the two girls spoke to each other about what was unquestionably nothing at all, a gravestone loomed in the yard, menacing the dead with a distinctive pince-nez and a fluffy striped tail. Slowly it crept closer, expanding and contracting in an unnatural way. Inch by inch it slipped closer to the two, slithering and sliding between the other tombstones like some sort of corporeal serpent, until it joined the row nearest them.

'Ohoho,' the tombstone thought-laughed to itself. 'What hath delivered these young ladies, borne of the sea and embraced by the sky, unto my domain?' Its thoughts had a stony-ish color to them. Not gray; a real tombstone's thoughts would be gray, but unbeknownst to all present, this tombstone was a clever ruse, wrought by a clever rusedame, who was a clever tanuki. So they were sort of purple-ish.

From the clever ruse-tanuki-stone sprang a kiseru, which was not a tanuki nor was it particularly clever, but it probably could have been - it certainly had a smart look about it. A soft puff of smoke rose from it as the tombnuki crept closer, surely unnoticed by the ignorant youngsters discussing things about which they had no business knowing.

It was not, however, unnoticed by its employer, one Miss Futatsuiwa, who made her own entrance into the temple cemetery with great, joyous strides, completely unbefitting a woman walking into a boneyard, and a grand leap on top of the tanuki-like gravestone, settling right in to use it as a seat. After a bit of adjusting, she also took its kiseru, as it would be a shame to talk for any lengthy amount of time without a little bit of tobacco. Especially to youths. They had to learn from someone, didn't they?

The gravestone that was a hapless minion shuddered and flattened under her, its glasses drooping in defeat. Already, I have reached narrative obsolescence, it thought. It didn't even get a color for its thoughts anymore. How sad.

"What's this about Buddhas and sutras, now?" After taking a moment to make herself comfortable, the Rusedame Right and Proper, the Futatsuiwa From Right About Twenty Feet Thataway, butted right into the conversation, as though she'd been invited. "I do believe I know a little tidbit or two that might interest you girls," she continued, not allowing for a word in edgewise. She drew deeply of her pipe and gently exhaled the almost-cartoonish, and if instead either of the others took that moment to speak, she blew smoke in their face instead, just as it started to form a picture.

One could think of that as getting a front-row seat, only it was at a small, stuffy bar.

As she spoke, the smoke coalesced into the figure of a girl who was, predictably, in a boat, speaking animatedly to the figures around her. Another puff darkened and began to pour neon-green rain down upon them, and she was tossed from her tiny boat, which soon sank. But moments later, she rose again, meeting it halfway, then ascending up into the sky as the whole image dissolved back into normal, albeit animated, smoke.

The story she told was this, each word chosen carefully, with the weight of a thousand years breathed into it:

There once was a girl in a boat
Who knew each sailors' lesson by rote.
She fell out and drowned
But she still got around;
As we know, a dead body will float.

"Eh? Eh? That was Buddhist enough, wasn't it? There was probably an enlightenment in there, kids. Maybe two. Wouldn't say it was the Buddhest, but it was at least Buddhish, I would think." Clenching her kiseru between her teeth, she shot a grin toward Murasa. Whether it was supposed to be a compliment of sorts or a dig at her, it was hard to discern. Probably both. That was the nature of a tanuki, after all: backhanded compliments.

Er, wait. That wasn't it. Well, Mamizou couldn't rightly say she remembered precisely what it was, herself. All gets jumbled up eventually. Probably not important, else she would have remembered it.

"Don't let Salty here fool you, anyway, Miss Red-and-Whatever. If you can sift through the bilge, she's a real killer-diller. A bit briny, but that's the best kind, you know." The next drag on her kiseru did not end with smoke in anyone's face, except the inside of hers, briefly, then the sun's, or possibly some birds', as they hovered overhead. They oughtn't have been hovering over a lady while she was smoking, anyway.
What man can truly be strong, who knows not the sea?
Mamizou Futatsuiwa
Free Character

Postby Reimu Hakurei » 12 Jun 2013 14:02

"Legendary stories are the best, because then you can elaborate on the excitement and food, and leave the boring parts out. Like having to beat down a bunch of ghosts and not getting any treasure for your trouble."

Sometimes it was distressingly hard to tell if Reimu was thinking out loud, or if she just enjoyed making everyone around her paranoid. Rotten, double dealing girl that she was. She'd stand from the stele she was leaning on, stretching her arms out above her head while Murasa talked. Expression was mixed with curiosity and a strange sense of indifference. Although to consider it again: maybe butterfly wasn't a bad idea for a nickname when one noted her excessively frilly outfit? It was a wonder she didn't snag on every branch or table-edge she passed by.

"Tell me about cheating death. I've done it before but I figure it's worth comparing experiences. Though I'm not so sure about cursed gold...that sounds like someone just trying to keep it for themselves."

Before she could express further avidity for the mere theory of gold, let alone start interrogating Murasa where it might lay, she'd look up and around. Dark eyes prowling the graveyard around them, then shaking her head and looking back at the ghost. Whatever she thought she'd seen or heard, it managed to get right up next to them in the next few moments, and it was a good thing that Reimu had a reputation for fearlessness or she might have jumped right out of her vestments. As opposed to her skin, which was probably content to stay right where it was. Skeletal shrine maidens were not taken with any seriousness in Gensokyo.

"That didn't seem very Buddhist to me, though I tend to doze off whenever Byakuren sermonizes. So I suppose I don't much know the difference. Also, you seem familiar. Really familiar. This is going to bother me all day, isn't it? I don't suppose you'd happen to know where the treasure is either. Surely they must do something with it. And don't tell me they donate it to the poor, that will just make me all melancholy..."

The maiden screwed her face up in an expression of vague annoyance. At what? Lack of goodies, or perhaps an inability to recall a name again? Her nose wrinkled a little at the scent of the burning tobacco, but she almost seemed used to it. Or at least she didn't make any effort to wave the smoke away, just sort of basking in it as they talked. The moon was creeping up the sky now, and it was getting late, but that was the nature of unexpected meetings in Gensokyo. Or one-sided expected ones.
Reimu Hakurei
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Murasa Minamitsu » 15 Jun 2013 15:34

"Never did find the body," she mutters at the conclusion of the tanuki's tale. Probably Buddhish enough, she wasn't really the right one to judge that kind of thing. Didn't much care either way; it was probably all in how you said it anyway. Take a simple thing and complicate it until it seemed important enough to listen to.

"You'd think it would be easier to find, with the floating and all. Took me years before I plain gave up on it. Shame, really." With that brief bit of reminiscing out of the way, she jerks a thumb over her shoulder at Mamizou, nodding over to the shrine maiden. It wouldn't do to leave someone like this unintroduced, least of all when Reimu herself had a mind like a sieve.

"Sado here's a fri- acquaintance of mine, anyway. She's more hot air than anyone's got the patience for, and more sense than anyone wants to hear. She's a good sort." She nudges the tanuki slightly with one elbow, shaking and almost dropping one rather startled seagull in the process, though it looks just a little too lazy to fly off, for all its panic.

"'Course I get all the bilge, better that way. Tried my hand at being wise once, didn't much care for it. Better off being daft, if you ask me. Never mind that, though, I was just about to share one of my old locker stories with Butterfly here. Don't rightly know what all this treasure talk is about, though, I'll tell you that."

Not to be outdone by the newcomer, she sets about blocking out the smoke with some mist of her own, covering a screen of uncomfortable memories. In its place, she draws another ship, a large, waterlogged chest upon it.

"Now, you've heard it plenty of times before, the old chest of pirate gold, buried far under the waves. Gen'rally speaking, the stories are about as good as the flotsam you'll be dredgin' up instead of coins, but some of them... some of them are real. Real cursed, too, come to that. Some spiteful, salty rat put a curse on this particular stash, so the reaper himself comes after the poor sap that nicks it, see? Beats me why, if it sank already, but there you go. Plenty of pointless curses out there; s'pose someone's got to make sure worse things really do happen at sea."

A looming, hooded skeleton appears over the ship like a cloud, descending upon a single sailor standing on the deck, radiant, heroic and, frankly, barely recognisable as Murasa if not for the coat and hat. And the anchor on her back, that helps too.

"Fearless as I am, naturally, one of them reaping types comes after little old me while I'm swimming about in cursed gold. Figuratively, I mean. That time, anyway. Now, I'm a traditionalist at heart, you know me; I know that the one sure-fire way to stop Death is to challenge him to some sorta bet. A game. With the brave captain's life on the line, well... what else is there to do? What was I supposed to do, give it back? That's just barmy talk."

She shrugs, shaking her head in a gesture of mild pity, before losing even that much to a quiet chuckle, looking altogether too pleased with herself, even for a triumph long past that, most likely, only has a tenuous relation to reality.

"Turns out the poor sod didn't have the first idea about how to play blackjack. Taught him, of course. I'm a sporting type, see. On the other hand, he didn't catch me cheating. Now, just quitting after that seemed a little cruel, so I called double or nothing, and, ah... just settled for betting reg'lar money past that, once I remembered I don't have two souls t'bet. Double freedom isn't a whole lot better than the normal kind anyway, so there's not much point winning. Ended up winning all his money, my life - such as it is, I mean - and the scythe. Big, fancy thing, might still have it somewhere."

She grins broadly, carving the mist into a scythe with one hand, then looking slightly disappointed when she remembers that she cannot, in fact, grasp and swing it around. Life's little victories were, it seemed, strictly limited to the living.

"He caught on eventually, mind you, you'd have to be as dumb as a sack of anchors not to. So obviously, that's when I kicked the man overboard; let me tell you, those are not swimming robes, fancy as they might look, all black and raggedy. Honestly, I don't see why everyone's so scared of a bit of cursed gold."
Murasa Minamitsu
Alternate Character

Postby Mamizou Futatsuiwa » 20 Jun 2013 20:23

The youkai snickered at the cap'm's light ribbing, both metaphorical and in the elbow sense, and had the good manners and fine breeding to stay quiet through her story (while quietly admiring her mist work - kid had a way with stories, and even knew some of the classier ways to tell 'em). As the story ended with the tragic demise of Tragic Demise, she shook her head and breathed a sigh of smoke.

"I tell ya, kids, grim reapers and boats were never meant to mix. All you get is somebody who doesn't know a blackjack from a straight - I assume you folks do, of course, with the pugilating I've seen this young lady do and your general sea-mastery, Cap'm. ...No, actually, I take that back. From what I know of Miss Thrills and Frills, here, I had best explain everything."

She took a deep drag of her kiseru, but once again breathed the smoke in the face of anyone who would dare to interrupt her.

"A straight is a punch, now, and a blackjack is a bit like a rabbit punch - illegal in professional boxing. Now, don't confuse a rabbit punch with a punch thrown by a rabbit. Those are usually directed at the shins, and usually-" With a flick of her wrist and a casual extension of her arm off to the side, her kiseru grew, and in a cartoonish, bouncy fashion, became a kiseru that was a mallet, which was a mallet that was a golden mallet. "-usually, a rabbit throws a punch with something like this. Theirs are for pounding mochi, of course. Mine's a tool of the trade."

"Now, O Dreaming Maiden, I feel a more formal introduction is in order." She swung her hammer at Reimu with a sudden force, only to bring it screeching to a halt next to her cheek, so that she could prod her with the head of it. "I know you well, Hakurei Raimu, for I am Daikokuten of the Seven Gods of Fortune, who governs the kitchen and the wallet." She paused for a moment to let the revelation sink in, then after an awkward silence, thumped the ground behind her with her glorious tail, sweeping up just enough dirt to become magnificent sparkles in the wind, highlighting Her Divine Graciousity's natural charm and beauty with tiny flecks of starlight.

"We've never met, however; your shrine is a shambles and a bit embarrassing. I am the figure that appears at the edge of your fondest dreams, who promises to you the wealth you deserve, and so I have appeared to you today to guide you in finding the treasure you seek." For those who would somehow experience this without being able to simply watch, of course, there was no significant or obvious change - the tanuki was still a tanuki, though at that moment, she became a god that was still in the shape of a tanuki, and possessed a tanuki's powers and thoughts.

The mighty Golden Mallet of Daikokuten transformed again, now inlaid with intricate detailing, sparkling in the setting sun. It was also a shovel, now.

"Though most of the dread, cursed treasure of sailors past has been lost at sea, there does exist a trove in this very boneyard, a sacrifice to Bishamonten buried long before the Holy Palanquin landed, courtesy of an old sailor guided by the Oracle of Delphi. But what's he gonna do, kid? You're already being haunted pretty hard, and Bishamon's probably nothin' for a firecracker like yourself." In a single smooth movement, she flipped the shovel in the air, catching the spade end and offering its sparkling golden handle to the shrine maiden.

"Hop to it, Pits." And then, almost unceremoniously, she plucked the pince-nez from the tombstone under her and transformed that into a kiseru instead. Though in the case of the pince-nez, it had been a kiseru in the first place, possibly. Neither Daikokuten nor the tanuki under her remembered for certain.
What man can truly be strong, who knows not the sea?
Mamizou Futatsuiwa
Free Character

Postby Reimu Hakurei » 22 Jun 2013 19:51

Reimu was seemingly transfixed by Murasa's storytelling, though the Tanuki's commentary was hardly any interruption. The fanciful artistry of the two certainly worked to overcome the maiden's inability to retain information, dark eyes flitting back and forth, patiently observing every illusion and smoke-enchanted theatrics. Her pale face even cracked a smile towards the end of Murasa's story, looking at the least very entertained. And not a little amused at the flourishes worked in to illustrate things. Clearly her trip here had not been a waste in the least.

"Why indeed, Cap'n. After all, with my sort of luck I'm sure it'd all even out if I had some cursed gold. I'll settle for real money though, if you happen to have any laying about. Don't suppose ghosts have much call for it though."

She'd fiddle with something inside of her sleeve as the glasses girl insisted on introducing herself in her own special way. That unique way that no one else, not even the ghostly pirate captain could. There was a barely perceptible flinch when the golden mallet touched her cheek. No doubt a product of instinct, considering she was fighting at the drop of a hat anytime she left the shrine. Dark hair framing a quizzical expression, one that looked both vaguely annoyed yet curious at the shape shifting Youkai's wordplay.

That and the promise of actual treasure? The maiden's bemused expression made it clear she found the whole matter rather suspect. Rarely had anyone ever just offered the shrine maiden treasure, and even Marisa would likely have blanched at such an obvious trick. Yet she took the shovel all the same, that same eerie smile creeping back onto her features.

"Of course. Though this seems like a lot of slow, tedious work, unless you've given me a magical shovel that will do all the work for me. It seems to me, that if there really is pirate's gold buried her, that I'd have to split it three ways. Unless Cap'n here wants none for her share. So perhaps we ought to just go ahead and fight for it first, to save time? Then we can make the loser(s) dig it up for the sole winner."

She'd heft the shovel, laying it across both her shoulders, leaning back on the headstone and kicking her feet in the air.

"But of course, I'd win, since we've been through this at least once before. I think. You still look kind of familiar, but I'll just assume I whipped you. Everybody gets one time, after all. So that might be kind of dull, if you don't have any new spellcards. Better idea. Whoever can come up with a story to top Captain Murasa's gets the gold. Hers is already pretty good, so its not an easy task."

Suddenly the shovel would swing out, going right through Murasa's ghostly head to level with "Dakikokuten"'s face, waggling as if it were a merely cattail that she was waving about. The maiden had an uncharacteristically playful expression going now, one that was a firm misdirection from how she'd visibly looked earlier. If she'd been aiming to avoid questions about her disheveled state, it had so far worked wonderfully.
Reimu Hakurei
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Murasa Minamitsu » 22 Jun 2013 22:28

"No need to keep your head stuck on money. Keep the greed a bit more subtle," she says, wincing slightly as the shovel passes through her head. It didn't hurt, per se, but that didn't make it any more comfortable. The thought that it could have brained someone else quite thoroughly was enough.

"The cemetery's where you get taoists, not taotie. Mask wouldn't much suit you anyway. Now, show the goddess a bit of respect, or at least don't wave the mallet at her, even if it's turned into a shovel. One look's telling me she's hammered enough already." Playing along should, at least, make up for a barb or two. She nudges 'Daikokuten' with an elbow to confirm this, without a word between them just yet. Well, partly to make sure. Mostly to bother her.

Important tool of the trade, bothering. Wouldn't do to neglect it. She could figure out what the trade was later.

"Shame she doesn't know a single thing about history. Silly old bat's out of her depth on that one. No, not that old bat, or the one in the basement. It's a... thing. Big, green, grows on a tree, talks your ear off for hours. Fig of speech. And yes, I do get to go around disrespectin' she of the golden scullery here, unlike you. We've got an understanding."

Hopefully. Maybe. And if she pushed her luck too far, that would only make the day more interesting, really. Truth be told, she wasn't even sure if the tanuki could hold a grudge against anyone for more than an hour. Not unless they had an equally bushy tail and lived on fried tofu, anyway.

"First of all," she starts off, with all the mock indignation she can muster, "That's 'she', thank you very much. Secondly, I'm not the sacrificing sort. If anyone can find his own treasure, it's old Bash Mountain. Third, the oracle ripped me off. Nothing there. The treasure's from when I went back in winter - Apollo's out then, see - and nicked everything I could from the temple. Partied a week or two with Dionysus, then sailed off. He's alright, by the way. Fun enough."

She looks over to Mamizou with a small smile, and the look that any who knew her would quickly come to recognise. It was a look that would leave anyone wondering just how much of what she was saying meant anything, how much was made up on the spot, and, more often than not, how little the distinction even mattered in the first place. Most of all, it was a look that was far, far too proud of knowing something you didn't.

"An' lastly - probably most importantly for our favourite little gold rusher here - it's not here. Little way behind the temple, actually. Another fig of speech, Sleeves; relax, I don't like you all that much. Gotta have good taste in amateur miners, you follow? Now, I reckon a literal goddess of money won't be needing the treasure, and like you said, I'm dead. 'Sides, it's mine and I'm telling you where to find it, you think I want it? Why fight for it when it's funnier to make you dig a while?"

Surely Mamizou wouldn't mind her share being casually given away, if she didn't even realise it was there. Surely. Well, it was worth a shot, anyway.

"Tell you what, if you can get us something to drink after, maybe promise you'll chuck some of that gold at your temple, I'll let you know where to find it. Otherwise, you can guess and dig till you get tired of it. I mean, I'm up for watching that too. And if it really means the world for you, gettin' all violent over some gold, I suppose I could do you a favour and club you over the head with the old anchor. I'm a helper, me."

With an appraising glance at Reimu, the captain mutters unintelligibly to herself - as opposed to talking unintelligibly to the world at large, which was her typical preference - before coming to some sort of conclusion and slowly shaking her head.

"Nah, never mind. I mean, look at you, you're practically a twig wearing a ribbon, I could probably knock you out with a ladle. Forget it. Gotta eat something one of these days, your holiness. Can't have all of Gensokyo ruled by the iron fist of Shoestring Hakurei."

Finally, something clicks, far too late, and Murasa slowly turns around, casting an incredulous stare at the self-proclaimed goddess next to her.

"...And just who are you calling an old sailor, anyway?"
Murasa Minamitsu
Alternate Character

Postby Reimu Hakurei » 20 Jul 2013 19:43

If Reimu was irritated she didn't show it. Then again, she always looked irritated to everyone, so it was pretty hard to know for sure when she was cross. Not that she was Orthodox or anything, don't get the wrong impression. Shintoism didn't really have a symbol besides the Torii did it? It'd be weird to hang that around your neck. Seems like something trendy young Youkai would do to annoy their older peers. Crazy young whipper snappers. Just like Reimu used to be once upon a time, in a series of adventures long forgotten. Where was she again? The maiden looked lost once more.

"Show respect? You should know full well nobody get's anything even markedly close to respect from me. If she wants it, she can beat it out of me."

Reimu almost sounded wistful at that, as if thinking of better days when people would physically assault her merely for existing.

"At the end of their lives, all shrine maidens look back and think that their youth was Mt. Pénglái."

At this point the audience could be forgiven for wondering who she was even talking to anymore.

"Greedy? What else am I supposed to be? Self-sacrificing? That's terribly dull, and nobody wants that. I'd be a terrible hero. And being penniless might be fun for Buddhists but it's right out for Shintoists! But since your'e not going to play along, that's alright. I'll tell you the story anyways, and then I'll just go set someone else on fire. That always cheers me up if I can't get some money."

She swung the shovel around idly, well away from the ghost captain. She looked like she'd lost any hope of actually digging anything up at this point though. Finally she'd just plant it straight in the ground and lean on it. It was almost taller than her...

"Well, if you really think I'm going to fall for a tanuki's trick that readily, you're sorely mistaken. I fall for all kinds of tricks, but not those! I guess there really isn't anything to be had here. I guess I should go terrorize Mayohiga again. It's been a while since I did that, and Chen misses me. I'm sure she does."

Reimu nodded to herself, convinced of this falsehood entirely now.
Reimu Hakurei
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Murasa Minamitsu » 25 Jul 2013 13:33

"I s'pose she could," Murasa replies with a slow nod of dawning realisation, "but it wouldn't really be fair. 'Sides, who's going to mop the big mess off the ground? Me? No, I think I'll pass; deck-swabbing's not really my cup of rum."

At Reimu's nonsensical comment, the sailor looks quite thoughtful, pondering this with chin over palm, then leaning in closely to stare at the shrine maiden, closely inspecting her head as if looking for something. After a full two or three seconds of diligent examination, Murasa gives up, but gives a small nod anyway; it was polite to agree when there was no harm in it, after all. No sense in upsetting the batty visitor.

"Probably around China, couple of short-tempered types scrapping over a bottle of medicine, two ladies with too much time on their hands, and it might have never existed?" She nods again, slow, ponderous, weighed down by centuries of wisdom and careful observation. Or if not that, then at least something that looked similar enough. They would never notice, that's the important thing.

"...Right, that sounds close enough. Pretty sharp guess there, Butterfly. But, uh, I'm not about to tell you a word about morals, don't get me wrong." The captain turns towards the goddess next to her, head tilted to one side at an angle that would have almost certainly broken something in a living human. Keep them nervous, keep them wondering; one of the perks to ghosthood.

"Come on, miss Midas, back me up here. Am I the type to go sermonising over right and wrong? Me, when I wouldn't know a set of good, honest morals if they dragged me out of the sea, dumped me in a temple and preached at me day and night?" Without so much as waiting for an answer, she grins and turns back to Reimu, as if this explained everything that needed saying.

"Now look here, kid, all I'm trying to tell you is that it's down to finesse, you see? Got to be subtle, here. Always goes down better with these high-and-mighty types, flinging gold left and right and haughtily godding about, if you pretend you don't want a thing. Trust me, old humble and modest captain Minamitsu's pulled that on a couple of them before."

When the shrine maiden rambles along on the subject of Mayohiga, Murasa shakes her head but says nothing, slipping a single silver coin out of her sleeve. Ignoring Reimu completely, she crouches down on the ground, shoveling some loose earth aside with her bare and soon quite muddy hands. The shovel was a few steps away, after all, and that would be far too much work.

Soon, having dug a reasonably sized hole, a little more than ankle depth - and incidentally making the whole place smell of freshly disturbed grass and earth - she picks up the coin and places it inside, covering it over with loose earth. Now, finally, she starts on a purposeful walk towards the shovel and, in a single flick of the oversized tool, sprays earth everywhere. Moments later, she uncovers, to her apparent complete surprise, a single coin.

"Well!" She begins with what can only be described as enthusiastic astonishment, waving the coin about and checking it against the sunlight, before holding it in front of Reimu. "Would you look at that? Genuine piece of eight, proper silver and everything! Who knows what else we might find here, eh?"

An extraordinarily exaggerated attempt at a sly, knowing smile, a schemer, swindler and conspirator's smile covers her entire face in record time, as she holds out the coin, then abruptly snatches it away again, dumping it in one of her pockets, soil, grass and all.

"What do you say, Snow-red? Could be anything buried out here - I mean, besides the obvious things - and it could all be yours. What're your thoughts on falling for a sailor's trick, hm?"
Murasa Minamitsu
Alternate Character

Postby Reimu Hakurei » 03 Aug 2013 20:37

Reimu would lean in close, peering at the shimmering coin dubiously. As if expecting it to vanish with the rising of the sun. Scruffy, unkempt maiden did not seem to be biting. Her expression was one of whose fun had been spoilt, and was now seeking an excuse to take it out on others. Gingerly plucking the coin from the ghost's fingertips, even going so far as to bite it. She'd pocket it surreptitiously before any protest can be made, giving Murasa a sidelong glance.

"Alright, but I'm still going to beat you up after this. It's only just and right!"

The shrine maiden would grasp the shovel, as if it were just as ephemeral as the ghost who held it. Giving her a side long glance that indicated she was certain this would go nowhere either interesting or beneficial for her at all, she would begin to dig. And dig. And dig. For a scrawny human who'd never so much as eaten a strip of beef in her life, she had some pretty good muscles on her. The digging started to pick up and settle into a steady pace. Maybe there was something to be said for sweeping a shrine all day long for the entirety of your life.

Then again, splinters.
Reimu Hakurei
Forum/IRC Moderator

Next

Return to Archive