Yin-Yang: Heaven and Hell [Ask First]

Locations: Marisa Kirisame's House, Alice Margatroid's House, Kourindou, The Hakurei Shrine, Gate to Makai
Forum rules
The Forest of Magic is a place brimming with energy and power. The dense trees and deep magic that permeates the forest makes it almost suffocating, but also seems to attract a number of youkai. The forest isn't travelled by many, and only the strange or the magical choose it as their home. The forest is home to two magical beings, the human magician Marisa Kirisame and the youkai puppeteer Alice Margatroid. Marisa's house seems to double as a shop, an Anything-Goes type of store, but whether or not she does any actual business is something of a mystery. Kourindou, owned by Rinnosuke, is another shop on the edge of the Forest of Magic near the human village, and is frequently visited by humans and youkai alike. The Hakurei Shrine, cared for by the shrine maiden Reimu Hakurei, also resides in a thinner area of the forest, near the great Hakurei border.

Yin-Yang: Heaven and Hell [Ask First]

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 29 May 2013 03:01

Utsuho wasn't sure if she liked the daytime or nighttime on the surface more. The day had the brilliance of the sun, warm on her skin and feathers and the bright azure sky overhead. The night was filled with hundreds of smaller stars, cold and distant, but beautiful in their vast numbers. She decided she liked them both, in their own ways, and simply enjoyed the new feelings of being above ground: cool winds, vast skies, and land as far as she could see.

It was daytime and sunny, summer they called it, and everything was green and lush as she flew over Gensokyo. She was looking for a shrine where the forest was thin, though not being entirely sure what a shrine looked like wasn't helping matters. For the most part the forest just looked like trees, lots and lots of trees, bright green save for the broad black shadow she cast upon them. She was hard to miss, tremendous black wings on the wind stood out starkly against the clear blue sky as she winged her way through the air.

Ahead something caught her eye, a small complex of buildings in the forest, the entrance marked by a large red gate. It seemed as good a place as any, so she decided to start circling the place, trying to think of the grandest entrance to make. With a great flap of hr wings she swooped down, flying clear through the gate before coming to a long grinding slide along the front path, her thick stone-covered foot kicking up dirt, dust, and gravel as she spreads her wings out wide to slow her descent.

"I, Utsuho Reiuji. have arrived!" She shouted at the top of her lungs, her words echoing through the shrine. She had come looking for a shrine maiden, the one she'd met before, and she wanted to make sure that everyone knew exactly where she was.
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Re: Sunshine on the Shrine [Ask First]

Postby Reimu Hakurei » 29 May 2013 03:53

Well, I stand up next to a mountain
And I chop it down with the edge of my hand
Well, I pick up all the pieces and make an island
Might even raise a little sand
Yeah
'cause I'm a voodoo child - Jimi Hendrix, "Voodoo Child"

Some days were peaceful at the Hakurei Shrine. Some that you just felt like nothing could ever possibly, conceivably go wrong. Today was definitely one of those days, right up until about noontime. The shrine maiden was doing what looked an awful lot like sweeping along the steps at the Torii gate, though a practiced eye would reveal she was mostly humming and barely brushing the bristles against the stonework. Lost in a day dream from all appearances, but her vacant expression was more peaceful than it had been the past few days. Some of the youkai and villagers had been disturbed to see her drifting through town and the forest with an angry, hurt expression. Something had happened at the shrine, something terrible, roughly two months ago. But all was well now, at least until a screeching, throaty caw filled the air. The broom fell from Reimu's hands, her expression unchanged as she just smiled blankly. What went through her mind when she heard that voice, that voice she'd not heard since her adventures underground? The corner of her mouth twitched, just a little hint of movement.

Slowly but surely the dark haired girl would turn her head, risking a glance upwards. Her hands were still held outwards in the sweeping motion she'd been making until moments before. Locked into a kind of rigor, that horrified expression creeping all across her features. Then, suddenly, before she could lay eyes on the one who made the sound, a great rushing overwhelmed her. The sound of hundreds of feathers and a mighty expanse of wings carrying Utsuho soaring through the gate, right over her head! Bowling the maiden over and tumbling down the steps in a heap, scrambling to her feet moments later. Clutching at her breast with a grimace, mimicking a heart-attack victim very convincingly while the bird-brained intruder shouted her greeting to the empty shrine. A vein on her forehead twitched, just a little hint of movement.

Muttering to herself, grinding teeth she'd quickly float up the stairs and right past Utsuho to present herself properly. The effect was so rapid, so unconscious that the shrine maiden would seem to appear out of thin air right before the raven girl. She'd managed to shake off the terrible surprise she'd been given, though not a trace of fear in those dark eyes as she glowered in annoyance at her. Despite the nuclear raven being almost a foot taller, the diminutive maiden would stand as tall as she could to meet eye-level with her. She'd fold her arms, her drooping sleeves revealing she had plenty of spell-cards at hand if trouble developed. An eyebrow twitched, just a little hint of movement.

"So you have. Welcome to Hakurei Shrine."

The maiden hesitated, looking as if she wanted to ask a question, before catching herself apparently. It was hard to gauge her mood. It seemed torn; on one hand there was a flash of annoyance as she greeted the raven, but Utsuho might notice the perk in Reimu's step and the fact that she was not being completely cold in tone.

"Ah that's right, you're that purple haired girl's pet, right? What're you doing out on the surface? Who let you out of your cage? Tell me you're not being followed by a gaggle of your hungry sisters, right? I don't have enough sake anyways, so clearly you should just be moving along..."
Reimu Hakurei
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Tenshi Hinanawi » 29 May 2013 05:16

Tenshi disliked the Summer. More specifically, she disliked the heat of the season. Contrary to what one might think with Heaven being so high up in the sky, it's temperature was pretty refreshing all-year round. Because of this, Tenshi found herself being forced to choose between uncomfortable weather, or unbearable boredom...

The girl breathed out a heavy sigh.

While it probably wasn't as bad as she made it look to be, one had to remember that Tenshi spent most of her time in the nice cool sanctuary up in the sky. That, and she was pretty spoiled.

With nothing better to do, the adventurous celestial decided to see what the Hakurei shrine maiden was up to. One way or another, that girl of all people would probably provide some form of entertainment to get her mind off the weather. And hey, if the she was lucky, Reimu's lazy or gloomy temperament would make for a good cloudy weather change!

Descending from Youkai Mountain, Tenshi would blast forward on top her keystone like a blue blurred bullet towards the Hakurei shrine, doing well to keep her precious hat from flying off. Before she could enjoy the nice breeze pushing against her face, Tenshi found her destination coming up quick. A grin spread across her face as she closed in on the large, red torii gate, and, just as the was about to collide into it full force...

She jumped.

In a extravagant display of acrobatics, the eldest daughter vaulted herself over the top of the gate, missing it by a fraction of an inch. Her keystone would disappear just as it was about to crash into the shrine, leaving Tenshi falling foward with a good bit of momentum. Her feet slammed into the ground with amazing force before she skid smoothly across the shrine's flat stone surface. One would think that her boots would catch fire with the way she was moving.

Finally, after coming to a gradual stop near the shrine's wooden steps, the Tenshi looked to Reimu with a sort of triumphant grin. "I, Tenshi Hinanawi, have arrived! ...Eh?" It was only after making her grand declaration that she noticed the other one there. A very...odd looking one at that. Cape. Stone foot. Weird...arm?

"So, who exactly is this?" Tenshi asked bluntly, pointing at the hell raven as she looked to the shrine maiden, "A new pet of yours? She doesn't look to be a tengu."
Tenshi Hinanawi
Main Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 07 Jun 2013 05:03

The Shrine Maiden's entrance was pretty impressive, Utsuho had to give her that, she hadn't even seen her move in front of her until she was already there, trying to look as intimidating as possible. And after what the hell raven had seen her do, it was doing a fair job. Of course, Utsuho was not one to lose ground, even when intimidated. However, whatever apprehension she felt was overwhelmed by the sense of nostalgic joy that came at seeing a familiar face above the ground. Of all the people Utsuho had met and heard of, the shrine maiden, along with the black and white witch were two she had wanted to meet again more than any other.

"So you have. Welcome to Hakurei Shrine."

That must be the name of the place. Hakurei shrine huh? Shrine to what? Utsuho's mind began to wander idly before the shrine maiden;s voice, tinged with no small amount of hostility, came back to her ears.

"Ah that's right, you're that purple haired girl's pet, right? What're you doing out on the surface? Who let you out of your cage? Tell me you're not being followed by a gaggle of your hungry sisters, right? I don't have enough sake anyways, so clearly you should just be moving along..."

"Hmph." Such a presumptive tone. Utsuho pulled herself to her full height, wings expanding behind her to add even more to the shadow she cast across the ground.

"I'm not JUST, Satori-sama's pet. I am Utsuho Reiuji!" She put a great deal of emphasis on her name. She'd given it when they fought, why didn't she remember it? Clearly she just had to drive the point further home. "Wielder of the nuclear fire of the Yatagarasu! I don't have a cage, and since I can tend the fires remotely now! I'm free to come and go as I please~!"

She rested her free hand on her hip, looking quite impressed with herself, a haughty smirk spreading across her face. She always did love this part. Letting everyone know exactly what they were up against. She wasn't there to fight, not at all. Satori-sama and Orin had both told her to stay out of fights, particularly above ground. Something about nuclear fallout and irradiation, admittedly she hadn't been paying too much attention.

"Most of my sisters prefer to stay at home though! So it's just me!" She kept the loud and raucous tone throughout, making sure Reimu heard her loud and clear. It was true. Hell ravens preferred to stay in, well, hell. That's why they were called hell ravens after all! Utsuho nodded to herself, yes, that made sense. As for moving along, well, she had no intention of doing that. Even if there was no sake, besides, she wasn't allowed to drink sake anymore anyway. Though she couldn't quite remember why...

Before she could continue the train of thought, she was interrupted by a sound like a meteor hurtling through the sky. Instinctively Utsuho spun round on her heavier foot, lifting up the control rod and bracing it with her free hand. The barrel of the rod began to glow a dull red, burning yellow deep in the core as she tracked the blue-haired celestial vaulting over the torii gate before landing in front of them.

"I, Tenshi Hinanawi, have arrived! ...Eh?"

What was this!? Utsuho's mouth dropped into a defiant frown, her brow furrowing over narrowed red eyes. This was her introduction, and she wasn't about to be upstaged by this new upstart from out of the sky. She didn;t even have wings, or a cape! Utsuho kept her hand on the control rod, wings flaring out and the eye in her chest beginning to burn with a red glow.

"So, who exactly is this? A new pet of yours? She doesn't look to be a tengu."

That did it.

"I'm no tengu! And I'm certainly no pet to this one! I am UTSUHO REIUJI! The divine flame of Yatagrasu! Tender of the Hell of Blazing Fires! I'm Satori-sama's pet and no one else's!" Her control rod, acting very much like an arm cannon, was still leveled at the interloper, heavy foot digging into the ground as the electrons buzzing around her other ankle began to speed up and glow. The scenery of her cape blazed with a massive violet nebula.
"And I got here first!"
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Reimu Hakurei » 07 Jun 2013 18:45

The shrine maiden scratched her nose while Utsuho introduced herself, seemingly unimpressed by the grandeur of the mighty hell-raven. Her reaction was nonplussed to be sure, but she relented a tiny bit when the bird kept going on for a while. Fists on her hips, looking as unamused as possible, but she couldn't quite stay angry. Not until the second surprise dropped in on her that morning. For a moment, she was almost starting to relax. Almost. The human was doing a poor job of hiding her desire to shoo Okuu away, but at the same time, she wasn't trying that hard from all appearances.

"Fine, I do actually have some. You don't have to put on an act for me. Besides, I could use some help moving some things around the shrine. Its still a mess from the last time it got wrecked, so I might as well put a nosy house guest to-"

She was rudely cut off by the dramatic entrance of one Celestial Child, which seemed to dash away whatever good will was developing. There was that eyebrow twitch again, as Tenshi proclaimed her presence. And then started making odd connections. The shrine maiden canted her head to the side, peering at the blue haired woman as if she were a fly that she was tempted to crush. Probably not too far from the truth. She had her gohei out at this point, certainly, white-knuckle grip.

"You. I really didn't need this right now, you know? I just got done fixing it again, and...and please tell me you're not so bored that you feel the need to break things again. No, she's not a Tengu, she's rather worse than that. But she's also a guest, so be polite."
Reimu Hakurei
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Tenshi Hinanawi » 08 Jun 2013 01:27

The hell raven's hostile and glowing aura had not gone unnoticed by the celestial girl. Even with Utsuho's weapon aimed directly at her, Tenshi's eyes would only give off a dull, exasperated look. Hotheaded types were never fun to deal with, especially when they were hot-tempered with powers that radiated heat from hell.

Today was really too hot for this...

"'Patience in one moment of anger will help you escape a hundred days of sorrow.' I can at least praise you on having enough sense to restrain yourself from attacking this long," she replied, looking to Utsuho, "Hmm...I guess it's only fair that I introduce myself after hearing you tell me who you are. I am Tenshi Hinanawi, eldest daughter of the Hinanawi clan, and while you may have gotten here before me, that means nothing to a celestial such as myself."

Tenshi's attention turned to Reimu as she rested her hand against her side, expression filled with discontent. "Reimu, I just arrived and not even five seconds here is there someone looking to pick a fight with me. I think you have your priorities mixed up..." she spoke with a sigh, "As for my reason for being here, I have no intention of destroying your shrine at the moment. Last thing I need is that bothersome gap women getting on my case."

The peach girl would shrug her shoulders as her lips curled into a grin. "Of course, I can't promise anything if your 'guest' chooses not to be polite in return."
Tenshi Hinanawi
Main Character

Re: Yin-Yang: Heaven and Hell [Ask First]

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 12 Jun 2013 23:53

Utsuho lowered her control rod, but the gentle hum it emitted, combined with the glow of subtle heat emanating from her body made it clear she had not backed down. The celestial had disrespected her, it's true, and it ticked her off. But Satori-sama had told her not to get in any fights, so she would avoid one unless it came to her first. If it came to that, well, nothing was going to hold her back.

"I may not know what a celestial is..."she began, eyes still leveled as Tenshi. "But getting here first should mean I get to talk to Reimu first! It's the way that makes sense! Especially since you just came rocketing in and I flew all the way here from the old hell." She tried to keep her voice level, but couldn't help but let her irritation slip in. It had been a pretty long flight, after all, and she hadn't made it just to get pushed aside by this upstart.

Utsuho supposed it was pretty impressive that she'd apparently destroyed the shrine before. But not very impressive, apart from the shrine maiden guarding it. she bet she only needed one good shot to turn the mostly wooden complex to ash in a storm of nuclear fire...not that she was about to, she just suspected it.

She turned back to Reimu, trying to get the shrine maiden's attention. "Are all your guests this annoying?" Not realizing in the slightest her own presence might be something of a bother.
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Reimu Hakurei » 13 Jun 2013 01:27

Reimu's eyes widened, a creeping blush working its way up her neck to her cheeks as Okuu harried her for attention. She looked between the Hell Raven and the Heavenly Angel, dark wide eyes staring at the two of them as if caught totally by surprise. After all didn't people usually show up to fight or to party? The girl's dark locks cover her face as she looks down for a moment then speaks up. She didn't seem to have noticed Okuu's last comment, in fact speaking over her rapidly increasing volume.

"Why does everyone have to come and pester me! Its not enough you come and drink all my tea and eat my food, now you want to waste my time...and...and..."

She'd turn back to face Tenshi. Pointing a finger at her.

"You! Why neglect to visit for so long, and now show up without warning! If you're so bored that all you can do is come and pick fights, I have a solution. I'll put you to work!"

The human was either having fun with the two guests, or dead serious, and it was very hard to tell which. Reimu certainly sounded sincere enough, her voice a bit shrill and unsteady. It lacked the deliberate tone of a rehearsed line, at least. If this was an act, she had clearly taken up the wrong profession.

"That's it! I'm tired of you all monopolizing me. I'll make you into incident solvers! T-that's the only way I'll tolerate you two fighting over me!"
Reimu Hakurei
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Tenshi Hinanawi » 13 Jun 2013 20:16

Upon hearing of Utsuho speak of having no knowledge of who or what a celestial was, Tenshi frowned. While she didn't really care much about the celestial race in general, it bothered Tenshi that someone didn't understand the magnitude of her greatness. Oddly enough, she was more stunned then she was annoyed. After all, who in this world hadn't ever heard of celestials before?! Tenshi couldn't help but wonder if this girl was living under a rock...

Utsuho Reiuji wrote:"...and I flew all the way here from the old hell."

...Close enough.

"Old hell..." The girl quietly parroted those words to herself, falling into silent thought. Something about that rung a bell in her head. After a short moment of pondering, Tenshi's face lit up in realization. "Ah, that's right," she spoke, shutting her eyes to recall the info in her head, "If I remember correctly, there was something about there being trouble underground not too long ago. In fact...Yes, you're that hell raven that brought life back to that abandoned hell."

The girl would calmly open her eyes, silently scanning the hell bird up and down. One way or another, Tenshi had heard of this girl's "unique" powers. Of course, this did little to bother the girl of Hisou. It was only after hearing Utsuho's last comment about the celestial being annoying did a twinge of annoyance show itself in the girl's face. "Now listen here, I-"

Just as Tenshi was about to speak her mind, Reimu intervened. More specifically, she complained. Before she knew it, the young celestial had soon become the target of the shrine maiden's frustration, causing her to stare at the red-white girl while a little surprised. However, this surprise became much more noticeable upon hearing Reimu reveal her sudden intention.

"...Ha?"

Needless to say, Tenshi was at a loss of words from how astonished she was. It took her brain a quick moment to register what the shrine maiden had said, her face softening into her usual composed look. While the idea itself sounded like it had potential to be interesting, Tenshi didn't like the thought of being forced to do something, especially something similar to work. Normally this would be enough reason to flat out reject the offer....However...

Reimu Hakurei wrote:"T-that's the only way I'll tolerate you two fighting over me!"

She didn't like it. While probably a bit exaggerated by the shrine maiden, the spoiled celestial didn't like the thought of "losing" to Utsuho. It was more out of competition and pride then anything. Therefore, in order to not be overtaken by the hell bird in this race for attention, Tenshi decided that she would make it clear who the winner was without even needing to take her place at the starting line!

"There will be no need for that, Reimu," Tenshi stated flat out, a smirk showing itself on her face as she faced Utsuho. It was then that Tenshi would hold up one finger to the girl.

"First! Since my incident happened before this girls, it can be said that it was indeed I who was here first out of the two of us!"

It was probably a pointless thing to point out really, but Tenshi couldn't help but think that this much needed to be established. "However, more important then that, fighting over Reimu would be completely pointless. After all..." The girl would raise one more finger before proudly and loudly declaring her victory...

"Reimu Hakurei already belongs to me!!"

Being the sheltered girl that Tenshi Hinanawi was raised to be, she had no idea how much weight such words carried in this world. In the end, in her head, she believed that she had just stated the obvious.
Tenshi Hinanawi
Main Character

Postby Rin Kaenbyou » 15 Jun 2013 05:28

A melodious peal of amused laughter that came from behind the beleaguered Miko as she was beset upon by another guest. The kasha’s carmine eyes were wide and aglow with delight and her lips folded up in the a mischievous smirk, pulling back enough to show the tips of her fangs. It was an almost infuriating smile. It was uniquely feline and beyond all mimicry. She took her time crossing the distance at a slow stalking pace, both of her tails swaying in time to the clack of her shoes upon the stone.

“Nyaa-haa-hahahahahaaa. Oh isn’t this a riot. Who woulda thought, the red an’ white’s your pet. ‘Oh how the mighty art fallen,’ an’ all that nonsense. I suppose what’s one more master to please when ya’ve already got eight million of them, right sis?” The kasha impish grin widened into a genuinely cordial smile as she looked to Okuu. “What do you think, Utsuho? Think maybe next time she’ll fall so far, she’ll fall back into Old Hell? Or perhaps it’ll be Peaches’n’Clueless here.” Motioned her head towards the ridiculously posed celestial. ‘Ha, as if ya’d ever be caught dead lookin’ as ridiculous as that, Sis.’

The kasha had come from inside the shrine. She knew her way about from the lazy days she’d spent lounging there after the old gapwitch had all but dropped her in the miko’s lap as a gift. Orin had had a couple of larks playing along with the ruse, but it hadn’t been long before she had made her way back to her beloved Satori. As the hellcat drew closer, Reimu could see she was holding a tray of small glasses in one hand and a large brass kettle in the other. A devout shintoist might have been struck dead in mortification by the kasha’s abysmal breach of tea etiquette... but that would be all the better for the hellcat. Her cart wasn’t far behind her, and there was always room for one more. And while she might not stand on ceremony, a quick count would confirm there were enough of the miko's terra cotta tea cups to serve Reimu and all of her guests.

The large brass kettle was embellished with oni boiling some sinners alive in vats of oil, others being chasing the damned with broad bladed tools of butchery across fields of fire Still, an enticing aroma was tumbling through the air from the spout, issuing forth from the between the lips of a rendition of a ox-headed demon. She held the tea kettle up a little above chest height, her hand bending down at the wrist. All in all, the gesture vaguely resembled a beckoning cat. The approach to the Hakurei shrine was inconveniently devoid of any manner of furniture, so the hellcat did her best to improvise and rested the tray on the tops of a small group of shimenawa-clad stones. Right beside the cups was a small black lacquer box wrapped with a dark red cloth.

“...Ah no need for your stick.. or the needles, I brought all of this from home. Had to borrow the cups though. An’ what’s this I hear ‘bout a proposition? And of ‘course I heard ya. I have fantastic hearing. These aren’t just here for show, sis.” The kasha’s feline ears pivoted forward as she watched the shrine maiden with keen curiosity.
Rin Kaenbyou
Main Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 19 Jun 2013 01:36

Utsuho was distracted from her stand-off with the celestial by the heavenly, or perhaps infernal scent of Orin's tea. Orin always made good tea, and it distracted her brain from the conflict at hand. Combined with the familiar smile of her best friend, the influence was enough for Utsuho to lower the cooling control rod, a broad and manic grin spreading across her face.
"Hiya Orin, didn't know you were gonna be up here today~ I would've carried you along for the ride!"

She turned away from Tenshi to face Rin, both red eyes on her head shining with happiness as the third one on her chest struggled to keep focus on the boisterous Celestial before giving up a moment later.

Rin Kaenbyou wrote:“What do you think, Utsuho? Think maybe next time she’ll fall so far, she’ll fall back into Old Hell? Or perhaps it’ll be Peaches’n’Clueless here.”

The hell raven laughed loud and heartily, as she often did.

"Maybe, but I doubt blue head could find her way down there, and even if she could, I doubt she'd be able to stand the heat."

Utsuho half turned back so she was facing sideways to the shrine, head looking away from Orin back around to focus on Tenshi. Her eyes, all three of them, flared up with fire as the star field in her cape shifted to a brightly contrasting blue. The grin on her face never retreated, switching instead from one of happiness to one of confidence, the eagerness never fading away. She certainly wasn't going to let it look like she'd been cowed by some upstart from on top of a hill, especially now that Orin was here.

"You don't look that impressive at all, and there's no way someone like Reimu could belong to a nobody like you! I'm not here to pick a fight, but I know that much is true!"
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Postby Reimu Hakurei » 19 Jun 2013 14:09

Reimu didn't seem terribly surprised at the appearance of Rin. Her expression was one of detached bemusement though, as she interjects herself into the middle of things. The maiden turned her attention to Rin as the two continued bickering, seemingly losing interest in their argument for a moment. The smell of tea had caught her attention and without warning the Kasha would find herself with a shrine maiden perched on a stone pillar right next to her, sipping the tea already. Her movements had been so fast and deft that to blink was to miss it, though that might have just been reality getting out of Reimu's way. It was often the safer alternative. The maiden scooped up one of the tea cups, handing it to Rin.

"How nice of you to help yourself to my things. I thought you'd already scampered back to your mistress, but if you at least remember what I taught you about preparing for guests, so it wasn't a total loss."

She'd kick off her shoes, cradling the teacup in her palm as if it were a sacred object. In truth, the Youkai of Gensokyo often noted that there were only a few things the irreverent priestess held sacred, and tea was foremost among them. She canted her head to the side, squinting at Rin as if accusing her of something.

"I've decided that if they are both so intent on fighting over my attention, I'll just put them to work. There's so many incidents these days, that why not make the troublemakers solve some of them? I'm sure it'll be too much work, but it should keep them in the right kind of trouble instead of breaking my things."

Sip. So matter of fact, and yet she was doing nothing to stop them from arguing like that? What kind of a shrine maiden was this.

"Well! Whenever you two are ready, we can begin the first lesson of becoming full time Incident Solvers. It's a very serious responsibility that only the best can undertake. I guess Rin was sort of an apprentice at it too, since I dragged her into helping me out that one time. So she can help me with training you two."

Never mind that the Hakurei intervention had been orchestrated by the Hellcat in the first place. She seemed to be intentionally neglecting that part, or forgetting.
Reimu Hakurei
Forum/IRC Moderator

Postby Tenshi Hinanawi » 23 Jun 2013 00:05

". . . ."

A small wind swept on by as Tenshi continued to give off a boastful grin, two fingers held up in a makeshift V sign. Strange...She had expected some form of reaction from her bold declaration, only to have been vastly ignored for the most part. Well, she hadn't been completely ignored at least. From the look of things, that black cat that just showed up was having an uncontrollable laughing fit from the celestial's words.

". . . ."

The once proud and haughty expression on Tenshi's face slowly faded into a look of total unamusement. Her brows furrowed slightly as she gave a small frown, wordlessly looking at the others as they looked to focus their attention more on Rin and her tea. Deep down, she was shocked. Tenshi had been ignored, mocked, and looked down upon in the span of a minute.

". . . ."

Of course, Tenshi wasn't one to lose her cool so easily. Even if she didn't act it most of the time, she was the eldest daughter of the Hinanawi clan. This sort of thing was to be expected every now and again. Despite that, it was obvious that this exchange had put the young girl in a foul mood. There was no rage. There was no tantrum. In the end, all Tenshi would do was shut her eyes, raise her hand up to the side of her face, and, without so much as a sigh, give a good snap of the fingers.

*snap*

*BOOOM*

Like a meteor crashing onto the ground, Tenshi's keystone would descend from the sky faster then anyone could even blink. Luckily, Tenshi's mood hadn't been so bad to the point where someone had been the target of her falling rock. The keystone had crashed right behind where the celestial was standing, piercing deep into the earth behind her. Finally, the peach girl sat herself down upon the keystone's flat surface, making it obvious that she had done this just to create a makeshift seat for herself. She'd do well to fix the hole that she made later. If she remembered, of course.

Amazingly enough, despite the overwhelming quake caused by the celestial's rock, not a drop of tea would spill from out any of the grounded cups. After all, bad mood or not, wasting tea was just rude, right?

"I'm starting to understand why Old Hell was sealed off in the first place. The thought that there are more youkai like this is disheartening..." Tenshi spoke with a sigh before opening one eye to Reimu, staring at her with a dull gaze. "Very well, I'll play along. It's not like I have anything better to do. However, don't come crying to me when people start giving more offerings to Heaven then they do donations to this shrine."
Tenshi Hinanawi
Main Character

Postby Rin Kaenbyou » 29 Jun 2013 06:57

There was something about the way Utsuho smiled that set the kasha at ease. The indomitable spirit that the hellraven possessed burned brighter than a thousand subterranean suns. Orin found more comfort in her best friend’s confidence than knowledge that for all intents and purposes the hellraven was a living goddess. Even before she had the power of Yatagarasu, Okuu had a certain fire, a certain stubbornness the kasha admired. ‘It’s probably what let her subdue the divine flame in the first place.. not many have the will to contain the wrath of a sun.

“Oh, don’t worry yourself on my account sis. I don’t mind stretching my legs now an’ again. Though I s’pose, you could convince me to let ya carry me back home. Maybe. You’re much better in the air than I am.” The kasha did her best exaggeration of that deadpan, exasperated tone particular to their master, as if they were discussing the most important decision in the world. It was just an instant before she was breaking into another peal of laughter and a warm smile. “Well the path to Hell is broad an’ ever welcoming, even for someone like her.”

"How nice of you to help yourself to my things. I thought you'd already scampered back to your mistress, but if you at least remember what I taught you about preparing for guests, so it wasn't a total loss."

“Oh sis, ya cut me to the quick.” The kasha put her hand to her chest “I was only borrowin’ them... borrowin’ them with the full intention of setting ‘em right back an’ proper to where I found them. ‘Sides, how was I supposed to serve tea if I haven’t a cup to put it in. And you should know Satori-sam’nya is my only master, sis.” The miko’s flash of transcendence still unnerved the kasha and made the fur on her tails stand on end. “Nyahahahaha.. you’re going to have Okuu and Peaches over there try an’ resolve incidents? Oh I never woulda guessed you had such a sense of humour-- oh wait, you are serious. An’ I’m supposed to help. Oh, Hells this is going to be a lark.” Orin felt a stab of guilt and averted her eyes when the miko mentioned her previous intervention.

She hadn’t a chance to finish serving the tea when the falling keystone caught the kasha by complete surprise. Not that she was any stranger to the occasional subterranean avalanche caused by oni fighting.. or partying... perhaps partying while fighting, maybe even fighting while partying. It was hard to tell sometimes, and Orin had a sneaking suspicion that few oni drew a distinction between the two. Now rocks falling from out of the great blue like a great bolt of thunder was something to take note of. The shock of it all completely stunned Orin, and she flinched out of pain from the thunderous crack of the impact. The rolling earth bucked the stones but in a feat of feline grace, the kasha remained steady on her feet.

Just as fast as the stone had tumbled from the heavens, there was a flash of red and black as the kasha’s feline ears twisted backwards, showing their coal black backs in an unmistakable display of aggression. Orin was standing on the tips of her toes, making her appear slightly larger than she had a moment before and both of her tails had stilled hooking straight downwards. She took a deliberate breath, struggling against the tangle of instincts that rapidly oscillated between the urge to flee and desire to lay into the celestial with her claws.

She exhaled slowly to try and relax, slowly resting back on her feet. She wouldn’t let her temper get the better of her, but the celestial’s actions were bordering on a declaration of war and she wasn’t about to let the unspoken threat go unanswered. Her ruby eyes burned like coals above her fanged smile as she served the celestial her tea.

She was the perfect model of gracious civility. That is up until she looked skyward to the small wreath of clouds that had formed in the wake of the keystone and, cupping her free hand to her mouth. With no amount of personal satisfaction, she shouted heavenwards.

“You missed her! Just a little farther forward with the next one!!”

The two fiery plaits swung through the air as the kasha whipped her head back to glower at the celestial. Orin’s eyes narrowed to thin bands of flashing fire. Her lips drew tight against her fangs in menacing smile.

You understand nothin’ about Old Hell, or why it was sealed off. You don’t know anything about the hatred an’ the resentment sealed deep below the earth. The whole world forgot ‘bout the despised. How convenient for all of you, livin' on surface, completely oblivious to horrors below you feet. If ya had any understandin’ of the true nature of the Hell of Blazing Fires, you would hide from it in terror.”
Rin Kaenbyou
Main Character

Postby Utsuho Reiuji » 03 Jul 2013 15:54

The sudden crash of the keystone into the ground behind Tenshi elicited only the smallest responses from the hell raven, tensed wings, glowing eye, the lightest sound of concrete scraping against rock, and perhaps the ambient temperature rising a few degrees. She was too deep into the role, too proud to stand down now, particularly not to a girl like this one. Utsuho needed to be huge and intimidating as possible, and when she stood up straight, wings unfurled, center eye glowing, and control rod humming away she could indeed cut an impressive figure, though she absentmindedly allowed herself a chuckle at Orin's admittedly pretty funny joke.

Reimu's offer intrigued her. An incident solver? Did that mean blowing up bad guys like she'd tried to do when she came down to Old Hell to stop Utsuho? Something like that honestly sounded like a lot of fun. But would Satori-sama allow her to? Satori-sama could already be a bit cagey about Utsuho running around Old Hell by herself, let alone the surface, which is why she usually sent Orin with her. But this was a matter of pride right here? She couldn't imagine the smugness Tenshi would unleash if Utsuho admitted that she needed Satori-sama's permission for anything violent.

Besides, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

"I think I'd make a great incident solver!" She said haughtily, placing her free hand on her hip. "I'm the best in Old Hell at blowing things up, I can fly real fast, and everyone knows how smart ravens are!" She grinned widely with a confident smirk slashed across her face.
"I think I'd make a much better one than this propped-up mountain dweller who's only good for her flying rocks." Another bite out of the celestial didn't hurt after all.

Besides, she had to represent Old Hell along with Orin, Heaven might sound better, but she had to make her home look good. A place called "The Hell of Blazing Fires" had a tendency to have a bad reputation, earned or otherwise.

Rin Kaenbyou wrote:You understand nothin’ about Old Hell, or why it was sealed off. You don’t know anything about the hatred an’ the resentment sealed deep below the earth. The whole world forgot ‘bout the despised. How convenient for all of you, livin' on surface, completely oblivious to horrors below you feet. If ya had any understandin’ of the true nature of the Hell of Blazing Fires, you would hide from it in terror.”

Utsuho nodded along with the kasha, though she didn't quite understand what she meant. Sure she used to be a bit scared of going into town along with the other hell ravens. And lots of people feared Satori-sama, but Okuu and Orin loved her for the same reasons. She thought for a moment, then it hit her like a ton of bricks, though she showed little outward reaction beyond a slight widening of the eyes.

Wasn't she one of those horrors that lived underground?
Utsuho Reiuji
Main Character

Next

Return to Forest of Magic