[Ask First] An Introduction to Experimentation

Locations: Marisa Kirisame's House, Alice Margatroid's House, Kourindou, The Hakurei Shrine, Gate to Makai
Forum rules
The Forest of Magic is a place brimming with energy and power. The dense trees and deep magic that permeates the forest makes it almost suffocating, but also seems to attract a number of youkai. The forest isn't travelled by many, and only the strange or the magical choose it as their home. The forest is home to two magical beings, the human magician Marisa Kirisame and the youkai puppeteer Alice Margatroid. Marisa's house seems to double as a shop, an Anything-Goes type of store, but whether or not she does any actual business is something of a mystery. Kourindou, owned by Rinnosuke, is another shop on the edge of the Forest of Magic near the human village, and is frequently visited by humans and youkai alike. The Hakurei Shrine, cared for by the shrine maiden Reimu Hakurei, also resides in a thinner area of the forest, near the great Hakurei border.

[Ask First] An Introduction to Experimentation

Postby Marisa Kirisame » 03 Mar 2013 01:11

The turn of the afternoon on this cold day was met with a loud boom after a bright light is expelled into the sky for all the residents of the Magic Forest to see. Though it wasn’t anything too new to the scene as the primary cause for this midday show had came from the area where a well known witch and her shop was located. It was really nothing to see for most onlookers, in fact if anyone had some form of time wither it be the position of the sun a an inner works of gears that forces a device to point at some numbers, most would know that it was around this time that crazy stuff like this happened.

Taking a closer look at the origin of this event, we see a witch sitting up having being knocked onto her back, rubbing the back of her head and even grunting a little bit as various leaves and swigs stuck in her long hair. Marisa Kirisame sighed a bit as she realized that she had lost control of what she was doing because she lost the element of what she was working with. She wanted to see if she can figure out a way to use the sunlight to empower her magic even more, but with a partly cloudy sky it made it even tougher to do that, and trying to force her own power into something made it unstable.

The witch begins to wonder if this was a perfect chance to use alternative sources. If only there was a way they she find a device that harvest sunlight and convert them to energy for very uses. This device would also be suited in places like a plains or desert like area where the sun is at its brightest and has very little chance of shade from nature to block the harvesting. But that’s just silly, what human would need that if they didn’t practice magic? Let’s keep to the more logical thinking, Marisa.

While she was thinking about this, she was picking her hair clean of debris, using her gloved fingers to comb it out a bit then locates her hat near a tree, picking it up and brushing it off, but not before she pulled a mushroom out and snacked on it a bit as using all that energy made her hungry. Afterwards, she looks at the magic circle she drew and sighs, pulling out a book from her hidden pockets and thumbs through it, looking to see if there was a way to deal with the sunlight being blocked every so often.

Can’t let an annoying thing like weather to stop this witch from gaining power.
Marisa Kirisame
Main Character

Re: [Ask First] An Introduction to Experimentation

Postby Sunny Milk » 09 Mar 2013 06:13

Fairies do as fairies do. Sunny was no different. She loved to flit about the forest collecting shiny stones, animal bones or just oddly shaped sticks. As she jammed her pockets full of this debris, she happened to hear a large exposion rip through the normally peaceful surroundings, Judging from its direction of origin, Sunny assumed Marisa had screwed up something again. Not wasting this opportunity, she dashed over toward her home.

A grin crossed her face as she caught sight of Marisa picking herself up off the ground. Now, Sunny was not a subtle fairy so she would become all too evident when she pointed at the fallen witch, laughing raucously.

"Ahahah! You blew yourself up again! You're really not good at this magic thing, are you?"
Sunny Milk
Main Character

Postby Marisa Kirisame » 29 Mar 2013 07:27

The thought of starting out small would be a good idea, where drawing energy from the low light of the shaded sunlight would be a good idea, but the risk of the sun coming out of overwhelming the collective cycle might cause yet another explosion, this one worse than the other. Some goes with using the trees as shade as even the smallest change can cause unbalance. So what Marisa needs to figure out is a way to- Are there children nearby?

The sounds of a child-like laughter draws Marisa’s attention from that book of hers, looking over at the source of the sounds only to see some fairy laughing at her and even throwing an insult at her. Well that is an adding insult to injury moment, almost literately in this sense as there was a fairy of all creatures calling her magic poor. One would react through means of violent, but it wasn’t like she didn’t slip up at this moment. Still, the thought of showing a loving sign that is the love of sparking a simple fairy does argue a point in her mind.

But the magician just grins as she closes her book for a moment, a better idea coming to mind, “Now what do we have ‘here’?” Marisa would ask as she gives Sunny her full attention. “Sounds like someone wants to help me out a bit with my magical experiment, if not just willing to see to it that my magic isn’t as poor as you claim it to be, ze.”

Who wants to be outdone by a fairy anyways?
Marisa Kirisame
Main Character

Postby Sunny Milk » 06 Apr 2013 15:56

Sunny was childish, but she was certainly not a child! Sunny was curious, but also suspicious. Sunny was careful, but hated to be challenged! The little fairy was conflicted. She was certain that Marisa meant no good but the challenge to see her fail at magic was too great a temptation. Sunny floated toward the witch, a grin on her face.

"Hah! I bet you couldn't magic your way out of a paper room!" she claimed, sudenly overcome with giggles. "If you try and do anything to me Im gonna be really mad! I just wanna see you get blown up again; you looked pretty silly."
Sunny Milk
Main Character

Postby Marisa Kirisame » 09 Apr 2013 05:47

It was this point Marisa was feeling a small ball of rage growing in the back of her mind, but this her voice of judgment comes out…. Well, a voice of reassurance as she rarely listens to that other voice. While there was some fairy making fun of her little accident, it was still a lesson in learning in which she’s can write down for later. Plus now she might have something to help solve her little dilemma.

The witch just gives Sunny a grin, showing off that she was sure that her plan was going to be no problem at all. “Hey, you’re the claiming about my usage in magic. So if anything bad does happen, just means yours is little to none.” Marisa said while she readies her magic circle again.

“So this is what you’re going to do.” The witch started to explain the details in her experiment, giving Sunny the details about the harvest of magical energy through elements of nature such as the sun. “However, when the gathering starts just keeping the flow takes a lot of focus and if something interrupts that flow then the focus gets out of hand, which is the explosion you saw a moment ago. So, I figure if I replace that interrupted flow with an item or creature match the same level of power, I figure I can gather enough start my next time. Assuming you have power that is, Ze.” Marisa finished her explanation with a mocking sentence, but hopefully one that will egg the fairy one and seal her fate!

“So if you want to wimp out now, don’t bother going into the magic circle I just made.” Marisa would say once more before stepping into the circle and tossing the book over her shoulder, now ready to get this little bit of fun started.
Marisa Kirisame
Main Character

Postby Sunny Milk » 27 Apr 2013 16:15

Sunny also felt a boiling rage growing within her. She hated being mocked and Marisa knew that, using it to her full advantage. Even so, Sunny was a smart fairy. She wouldn't trust just anyone and Marisa rarely proved herself to be worth trusting. When one is always subject to abuse, like most fairies are, trust is hard to come by. She pouted as Marisa explained herself, crossing her arms.

"So you want me to be your test subject? That's just stupid! You just wanna kill me!" she shouted, stomping her foot. "Why should I help you when I know you're just gonna turn me into a newt or whatever? Last time you got me and my sisters all sick!"
Sunny Milk
Main Character

Postby Marisa Kirisame » 04 May 2013 17:00

"A newt? I haven't even thought about the possibility polymorphing yet but that does sound interesting. Besides, if that does happen you'll get better. Maybe. Possibly. Look, I don't have the numbers in front of me but this is magic so I'm sure that there is a very low possibility of you turning into a newt and a higher possibility of being turned into dust front a high rated explosion. Plus I don't think fairies can die. I would know the various times I've actually tried."

Marisa does think about the effort or secret ability it takes to kill a fairy, thinking only a handful would truly know that that being the Shinigami and the Yama; and those were the last two whom she'd be willing to approach let alone talk to.

"Besides, you're not a test subject as you are a catalyst and that is far more important than some lame test subject. Minor risk of high explosion but you should be used to that by now. And tell you what; if you help me out I will give you a sweet reward. No joking this time, it's just my way of saying thanks." Marisa would make a great salesman in the outside. There didn't seem to be hidden innocence in her voice this time around, maybe she was being truthful about the sweet reward.... And the explosion.
Marisa Kirisame
Main Character

Postby Sunny Milk » 11 May 2013 15:00

"Hmph! So you're gonna blow me up instead?" she queried, crossing her arms over her chest. "I dunno what you got in mind but I know I don't wanna become a pile of ash or whatever. That's just dumb. Dying hurts, you know!"

Dying did hurt, even for a fairy who could return to life as long as their birth element continued to exist. On a bright day like this one Sunny would have no problem returning from an early grave. She didn't want to die and show up naked in front of Marisa though. Marisa was a pervert. Everyone knew that. Although, she did tilt her head a bit when she heard about a reward of sweets. Sunny licked her lips and stepped forward. What better way to get to a fairy's heart!

"Fine! I'll do it! YOu better keep your promise though!"
Sunny Milk
Main Character

Postby Marisa Kirisame » 16 May 2013 18:54

The witch was busy getting a few things ready while she waited for the fairy to make up her mind. It was the usual, empower the magical circle, used mix ingredients she made earlier for a boost/control, grab something to contain the power she was trying to harvest, in this case it was an odd looking urn about two feet in height, nothing noticeable other than it had a lid to it.

After all that she would place the urn in front of Sunny, giving her a grin. “Alright! All you have to do is hold this. When I start to gather energy from the sun, you just wait until the light dims, then that’s when you take over and make up for the loss of direct sunlight. Also, be careful or you will make it explode. Unbalanced energy tends to hate you and will try to get its revenge, usually by self-destruction or setting you on fire.”

After that brief warning, Marisa would utter a phrase that causes the circle to light up then break from the ground, spinning and glowing as the written magic waves in and out of the circle. It has begun.
Marisa Kirisame
Main Character

Postby Sunny Milk » 18 May 2013 17:49

It's tough to be a fairy. Everyone should know this. It's particularly difficult to be Sunny. Being so beautiful and sought after is something each and every creature in Gensokyo envied. Oh, how the little fairy had to suffer for her popularity! A sigh passed from her as she agreed to participate in Marisa's ridiculous experiment. Sunny accepted the container and held it in her arms. It was a mite bit heavy for the fairy but she managed.

"Just what the heck are you trying to do?" she asked even as the spell began. Sunny understood that she was supposed to replace the sunlight as the spell progressed. It didn't seem that difficult but the last thing Sunny wanted to do this day was to explode. For the time being she settled in with the strange urn and observed the proceedings.
Sunny Milk
Main Character

Postby Marisa Kirisame » 27 May 2013 02:06

Marisa didn’t seem to say anything as she really did need to focus on this magical experiment. The winds increase around them, making their clothing sway in the direction it was blowing while the urn would slowly light up in a glowing hue, then dims out only to glow once more like a beacon. The warm of the sunlight could easily be felt radiating from the item as it basks with sunlight stolen goodness.

It isn’t long until Marisa’s theory would hold as a cloud would begin to drift overhead, slowly dimming the light until the urn would slowly begin to shake as the power flow would become unstable. Marisa would finally look down at Sunny and give her a nod, signaling it’s her turn to equalize the magical flow. Did Marisa explain that? Oh well, She’ll let the fairy figure it out. She did make an escape plan just in case Sunny screw it up. In fact, she was ready to get out of there when things became too far gone as she already planned that she was letting a fairy do some complex work. So why did you let Sunny in on this?

Well, who doesn’t take their stress upon a fairy with a prank? Besides, she’ll be fine. Mostly.
Marisa Kirisame
Main Character

Postby Sunny Milk » 01 Jun 2013 21:27

Everything seemed to be going alright. There had yet to be an explosion, an intrustion or any melting of her fingers. For once Sunny felt like she actually trusted Marisa with this kidn of activity. Then again, there was still a mote of doubt in her mind. Marisa was well-known for ending most of her experiments in explosions. Sunny was wary but on cue she began to glow with the power of the sun, soon enveloped in a coccoon of light. Marisa wouldn't be able to look directly at the fairy as she transmitted her energy down her arms and into the urn.

"Like this? I can kinda feel it working....kinda!"
Sunny Milk
Main Character

Postby Marisa Kirisame » 14 Jun 2013 20:16

It wasn’t that hard or long of a spell, as she was working on it to fill the urn up as quickly as she could without interruptions from the every changing weather, and it was a good things Marisa nor Sunny didn’t have to focus for a second longer as the item in question now glows brightly, that if put in a room it would make it seem like day itself.

The witch was proud that her idea and hard word had finally paid off as she would place her hands on her chest, then uses one of them to pad her chest. “See? All you needed was a little faith and even a fairy can make this work. Well, not faith I leave that to Reimu, but you have the know-how and it becomes fairy simple. In fact, I should hire a few fairies to work for me now that I think about it, but I’ll worry about that later.”

She walks up to the newly made magical item as the warmth of the sun could be felt radiating for those near it, making it not only perfect for extra lighting, but warming the room on a cooling day. “Ladies! Behold! I have created, Bottled up Sun!” She would say as she carefully picking up the glowing urn, holding it up, though having to slightly look away as it was bright close up. “And a nice hand warmer, good for warming up hands on the coldest of winters. Now all I need to do is record how long it can last then show it off, get some praise, then the rewards comes rolling in.”

After all, she knows of a neighbor that could use this and it would be a good bribe for looking through/taking off in/with some of books she has yet to read. But enough of that, she gives Sunny a grin. “Well, you can get back to your… Whatever you and the other two do besides stalk the shrine occupants. I need to see how long this element can hold out and see if I can enhance the spell length while maybe decreasing the amount of light illuminating so it doesn’t blind you while you look at it.”
Marisa Kirisame
Main Character

Postby Sunny Milk » 15 Jun 2013 20:10

Wow, this was a first. For once Sunny didn't explode, melt, turn to vapour or get mangled by Marisa's magic. On one hand the fairy was very pleased with that, but on the other she was worried that just because of this success Marisa would grow overconfident (as had happened many times before) and ask Sunny to help her with ever more dangerous tasks. This was something the little sun fairy would rather avoid. She handed over the bottle of sun to Marisa and listened to her proclaim her own genius. Sun in a bottle, eh? Shocking.

"You said you were gonna give me something sweet. Now, where is it?" Sunny asked, frowning with hands on her hips. "I ain't going anywhere until I get my reward!"
Sunny Milk
Main Character

Postby Marisa Kirisame » 18 Jun 2013 03:02

And she would have gotten away with giving no such reward if wasn't for the mettling fairy.

Marisa had to keep in mind the three fairies she sees often were smarter than the average fairy so it would be no surprise that their memory wasn't as lackluster, but in the end they were still fairies. In fact, there was something else the witch wanted to try out but hasn't found the right candidate until now, then as her face grinned a delightfully evil grin she would replace it with a fake smile before looking at the fairy. "Whoa, hey, I haven't forgotten my promise. You clearly think I'm someone else that breaks promises and lies to such breakable fairies. Don't get distracted by the exploding toad behind you and I'll get your reward."

Inside the house/shop, Marisa sets her sun in a bottle on one of her less cluttered tabletops, then moves over to her items deemed 'for further use' and picks a small bag where the insides as hard rattles hard candy pieces strike each other. The magician looks inside and sees that all the yellow coated candies had not changed or had an oder other than their sour sugar smell. A few days earlier, Marisa was testing out a few transmuting abilities from a book she was reading from, trying to enhance the sweetness but before she would taste them, her taste buds told her from the scent that their were sour enhanced. So enhanced she had predicted that it would suck your face right in, but those were baseless rumors, that she spread to herself.

None the less, it was time to reward a fairy for her hard work even if she played a minor role. She steps back outside with the treats and holds the bag out for Sunny to grab. "Here you go! One reward you can share with your other fairies friends." She would said one thing, but hope that she just hopes that Sunny tries to eat them all in one bite and creates such a sucking that she turns into a fairy vortex, taking the next time in revolutionizing the magic field. And as impossible as that sound, she'll get a nice reaction that'll make her day or even days.
Marisa Kirisame
Main Character

Next

Return to Forest of Magic