[Ask First] Memories of Makai

Locations: Marisa Kirisame's House, Alice Margatroid's House, Kourindou, The Hakurei Shrine, Gate to Makai
Forum rules
The Forest of Magic is a place brimming with energy and power. The dense trees and deep magic that permeates the forest makes it almost suffocating, but also seems to attract a number of youkai. The forest isn't travelled by many, and only the strange or the magical choose it as their home. The forest is home to two magical beings, the human magician Marisa Kirisame and the youkai puppeteer Alice Margatroid. Marisa's house seems to double as a shop, an Anything-Goes type of store, but whether or not she does any actual business is something of a mystery. Kourindou, owned by Rinnosuke, is another shop on the edge of the Forest of Magic near the human village, and is frequently visited by humans and youkai alike. The Hakurei Shrine, cared for by the shrine maiden Reimu Hakurei, also resides in a thinner area of the forest, near the great Hakurei border.

Re: [Ask First] Memories of Makai

Postby Alice Margatroid » 05 Jan 2013 20:41

"If you tried to make a deal with her you'd just end up being asked to promote the shrine or man the nuclear reactor. Her gods are rather ambitious and far more active than most we have around here." Alice just shrugged at the idea of abandoning Reimu to seek Sanae's favor. "Unless of course she decided to just exterminate you on principle. She has a reputation after all...Regardless, you aren't likely to find a shrine maiden as forgiving as Reimu anytime soon, so I'll suggest sticking to your agreement. I'm sure Yakumo would agree."

Mima's continuation about what scares gate guards earned her an amused smirk and a raised eyebrow as the magician finished her senbei. "Now that sounds like useful information. I'll be sure to keep it in mind should I ever need to keep gate guards from trespassing. Until then I'll focus on more useful things, like how to control unusual dolls. You know, what the actual purpose of the Goliath is. Not all of us are content to simply lounge around and irritate random people after all and speaking of..." Alice's expression darkened, a small swarm of dolls gathering around Mima and the couch. "Please turn my couch back. If I need an astronomical chart, accurate or not, I'll get one that isn't just a snapshot of a specific moment and which can be removed when I don't need it. I rather liked my interior decoration without animated images of the night sky as well." She smiled cruelly for a second. "If not, I might have to remind you that I'm the daughter of a real goddess and that I have not been idle since leaving Makai."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 05 Jan 2013 21:24

"Hmm? Nah, the deal was with Yukari about the Hakurei Shrine - but didn't say anything about other shrines. Didn't need to at the time, but..." Mima said, smirking. "I'll be sticking to my agreement, so she shouldn't have any complaints about what happens up on that mountain."

The dolls surrounding Mima, probably unsurprisingly, didn't provoke any other response save another arrogant smirk. "You know, you really could use another hobby or two as well. I know you do dolls and sewing, but there's sure to be something else you can do with your fingers. Since you've built them up so much. Music? You know, you should just give all the dolls little instruments, since I'm sure you'll DIE if you're not working with them somehow. Then you can sing with them, too."

The threats - and the reference to Makai - also seemed to just float past the floating ghost, rather then sticking with and intimidating her in anyway. "Hmm? You know, goddesses aren't that special anymore in Gensokyo. It looks like we have almost a dozen by now. And you've been even more single-focused then my Marisa. If Shinki came up from Makai..." She said, before her eyes flashed with inspiration.

"That's perfect!" Mima cried, and pulled her staff out of seemingly-thin air to push the tip up against the couch - with flared with brilliant light, the fabric of the couch was back to normal.

Well, almost. There was someone else (An illusion) there now.

"Well, it's not a hobby, but you'll be less lonely with her watching over you, right?"
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 12 Jan 2013 20:58

"Funny that you should mention singing." Alice smiled slightly, relaxing in her seat as she drank the last bit of sake in her cup. "Just last year Mystia held a singing competition that I took part in." Her relaxed smile and almost excited tone was quite at odds with her usual coldness, as well as with the nerves that anybody who had been in the audience back then had surely seen her express.

She was quickly interrupted by Mima's next trick, causing her to lose her composure almost entirely. It was probably just an illusion, Mima was known for that after all, but if there was one person who might play along with the evil spirit in a home invasion like this, it was Shinki. Glancing at the newcomer, she tried to judge Shinki's reaction to see if it was likely to be real or not, as she desperately tried to feel out the magic in the room to check. After all, even she didn't want to accidentally insult her mother by calling her an illusion to her face.

"Well played, I'll admit that I hadn't seen this coming. Even though I should have." Trying to win herself some time to regain her composure and see if there were any hints of illusion going on, the magician reached out for another senbei.
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 19 Jan 2013 01:49

Mima snickered and waited for Alice to react to the new illusion before she continued; after first looping her arm around the illusory Shinki, giving an excellent illusion of the two leaning back and relaxing together. The only thing that was missing was that only Mima had a cup of sake. ...And that Alice could definitely feel, now, the magical aura of a continuous enchantment, just like the couch. Another horrendous waste of magic, but if it was a summoning spell, there shouldn't have been a lasting impression - just a single huge surge of energy.

"See? My advice is so good that you're following it before you even knew I was going to say it," the spirit said, leaning back. "Who was watching that performance, too? Maybe another magician? Sound like you had a lot of fun."

And another cracked was crunched. "Well, I -knew- you had some things you needed to tell your mother! Don't worry, she'll be here for a while so the two of you can talk together. Like more about your performance. And the other visitors you've been having recently."
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 25 Jan 2013 14:36

So it really was just another attempt by Mima to be annoying, as expected. Alice relaxed visibly, just taking a bite from one of the crackers and listening to Mima talking. She could easily clean this mess up later, so trying to struggle more would just make the irritating woman make it worse and force more effort from her. Still, it meant that she could safely ignore the fake Shinki, which made everything a lot easier.

"Right, it was obviously not because a friend was holding a competition and was looking for contestants, but because music is my destined career. It all makes sense now." She visibly relaxed in her couch, drinking the last sake in her cup and putting it down. This wasn't proper company for getting drunk anyway. "Mystia and Reimu were the judges and the audience were mostly just random youkai and fairies. Along with the other competitors of course..." She sighed slightly. "And, yes, there was a certain other magician among them. Along with one of the more irritating fairies and a vampire who somehow managed to be even more obnoxious. There was the little devil from the mansion as well, who was by far the most impressive."

"But, yes, it was fun and an opportunity to show off what I can really do with these little ones and a pinch of magic. As well as costumes, of course, but that goes without saying." She finished her cracker, not reaching for a new one this time, her expression once again turning self-satisfied. "And I'm sorry to disappoint your need for gossip, but I haven't had many visitors lately. Just people who get lost like normal and a spider wanting to commission Christmas gifts for the children from me."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 02 Feb 2013 23:54

"Your destined career, indeed. See? Shinki agrees," Mima said, shifting her hand to make a thumbs-up gesture that the illusionary Shinki mirrored perfectly. "It's in your soul! I'm sure you can find it if you keep at it. So, you won, right?" She finished off her cup of sake and held it out for more - either Mima thought Alice was a drinking partner, or...just was drinking again. "Oh, and kept a copy of the costumes around. I need to see 'em. For spell research," she said, holding back another snicker as she munched on the last of a cracker.

"A little devil from the mansion?" This surprised Mima a bit, blinking. "One of your sisters? I thought all there was in there were a lazy gate guard, a bunch of fairy maids who can barely not trip over their own feet, and an annoying vampire."

Christmas, of course, got her a wave of her hand. "Unless if she doesn't bother to check presents too close - wait, can she detect magic? Anyways, who else has the juicy rumors in the Forest, then? Besides my daughter. Since I need to give her a real surprise when I visit.
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 03 Feb 2013 00:19

"No, it's not in my soul. I did it for a friend and put actual effort into it like always." However, the ever so slight hint of a blush on Alice's cheeks and the extra bit of snippiness in her tone, suggested that she still remembered the stage fright quite well. "And, no, I didn't win either. Shou won the first round, the little devil won the second one." Her tone rang with irritation at having been upstaged like that, especially after all her effort preparing and the cost of nerves she'd had to pay.

"You've never bothered to actually visit it, have you? I'd have thought that at least the head maid would have made an impression if you had." Mima's surprise earned her a very self-satisfied smile. It was always nice to see the obnoxious spirit get caught off guard for ones "Regardless, Remilia has a friend, one of the my colleagues, living in the mansion. The little devil is her familiar. And, no, she's not one of my sisters. At least not one who is close enough that I ever met her in Makai or who lived with us as part of the family."

The magician just shrugged, pouring herself another cup of sake and taking a sip. "The best person for gossip about the forest should be obvious. Where is it that all the youkai end up hanging out, much to the irritation of the owner?"
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 19 Feb 2013 02:20

"What do you think it means to have something in your soul, anyways" Mima asked, smirking. "For a friend in your heart, putting effort out from your body...c'mon, take it from the floating soul! You can always trust your Auntie Mima, you know that," she said, still smirking as she waited for the sake...which didn't come. Instead, Mima pouted at Alice, setting the cup down.

"Cutting me off -already-? Now that's no fun....and hey, maybe I'll visit that mansion there if they have good sake," the spirit said lazily. "Is that the one my daughter's always raiding for magical artifacts or whatever?" Mima spun a circle in the air with one of her fingers, creating a small illusion - no larger then her hand - of a stereotypically gnarled wizard's wand, with runes on it.

"Hmm, my favorite Shrine Maiden, you mean? I feel like giving her a bit of a surprise next time. I've been on a trip for a while, so she deserves something a little higher-class then one of my usual pranks. I mean, something normal like rigging the roof to disappear next time it rains won't just cut it when you've been gone for a while."
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 26 Feb 2013 16:02

"Of course, I can. The first thing anyone associates with you is trustworthiness. Selflessness too, I imagine." Alice paused, to see what way Mima would continue the thought. Hopefully she wouldn't be so boring and predictable as to simply agree or flat-out deny it and try to protect her reputation as an evil spirit.

"How many western mansions full of grimoires do you know? It's not like Gensokyo is tiny and most people know each other or anything." Alice's smirk stayed as one of the dolls went ahead and put down the sake bottle near Mima's cup. Just out of reach without the evil spirit getting up to pour herself. "And I imagine they'd let you in as long as you don't say you raised Marisa. The librarian is a sensible person and rather touchy about her books, so I don't think she'd trust the one you trained the thief who keeps stealing them. Especially not if they know about you."

"So that's how your relationship with the shrine maiden is." The magician's expression was completely blank and controlled as she took another sip of her sake. "I'm sure she'll throw her orbs at you if you ask, without having to spend magic to cause major incidents at her home."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 01 Mar 2013 03:01

"And don't forget creative," Mima said, flashing a peace sign along with her illusory Shinki. Well, with one hand. The other hand was going for that sake bottle while she answered. And with a small twitch, the bottle - as long as it really was left unattended - would rise up. Lazy spirits would HAVE to be lazy, wouldn't they? And the cup would rise to fill itself too.

"Y'mean like that old Mugenkan, before Reimu and Marisa totally wrecked it?" Mima asked, smirking. "Got to say, it sounds third-rate, this new one. Yuuka had a vampire to guard the area beond the gate, and for this one, she's the mistress of the whole house. Bet Marisa must've wished she carried more books out of Mugenkan instead of having to go back there time and time again," she mused, spinning her finger in the air. "Then again, does it count as a grimoire if it's about flowers...since yours counts, I figure those should too, right?"

"My relationship with her? Hmmm...." She said, pondering for a moment, looking unexpectedly thoughtful...before smirking brazenly again. "The best way to call it would be 'favorite toy of a set'. You know, like if you had the leader in a mini-collection of dolls. The other toys aren't as much fun to play with as your favorite, but sometimes you get bored and need to try out something different, but the first one never gets old."

By now, the cup had overfilled. Significantly. But Mima paid no care to the sake spilled on the floor as she finally released the spell and reached over to take a drink. "By the way, want to know what kind of toy you are?"
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 09 Mar 2013 21:14

"So all vampires are the same?" Alice sounded amused for a second. "I guess someone forgot to tell the one I met in the singing contest, she was acting more like a fairy than anything else. Quite different from Remilia, really. At least she managed a major incident that threatened all of Gensokyo. I'm sure you remember the red mist, right?" She sipped her sake, letting Mima make whatever ridiculous comment she was. "Of course, she also made that trip to the moon. Also, you've really been getting blind in your old age, she visits Reimu regularly, yet you completely missed that. Are you sure you're really squatting at the shrine, these days?"

Seeing the drops spilled on the floor, the magician sent a doll over to wipe it up. "Grimoires are books with magic infused in their very being, serving as a conduit for it. Even Marisa knows that much about magic. And I'm afraid you're mistaken, mine says nothing about dolls. It's far more versatile than that, holding magic of animation and transfer of power, as well as binding."

"Seems like a boring toy, always sitting around complaining or going out to beat random people up until she hits the right one. Maybe that's why you stopped playing with her?" The final question was just met with a shrug. "Does it matter what I say? If I protest you'd say just to be obnoxious and if I agree, you'd break into gleeful exposition. You're predictable like that."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 16 Mar 2013 00:12

"Vampires/ Well, it might be possible for them to be greater, but if the don't bother with enhancing their powers, they're just upper-middle-class beings. Nothing too special," She said, with a wave of her hand. "She could only threaten all of Gensokyo because of how soft it is since the Spellcard rules. ...In the old days, with how weak her supporters were - fairies - I'd have just blown away her entire mansion. That's the kind of thing you couldn't manage against Yuuka, or even Reimu, and you know it."

Comments about visiting the shrine brought a shrug. "...I don't pay attention to every upper-middle-class youkai that visits Reimu, anyways. And I've been taking trips. There's some interesting things in the Old Hells and that forest now, you know? And I bet Yuuka does have a grimoire of flowers somewhere in her possession, anyways," she said with a light shrug. "It's her nature, right? Maybe [Dreams] and [Growth], too."

Mima took a sip from her overfilled sake cup now, avoiding spilling any more on the floor in the interest of spilling it in her mouth instead. "Hrrrm? Nah, you missed on both. The fun with Reimu is watching such a genius suffer and struggle through simple day-to-day life. It's fun to watch things crumble. And for you..." She said, before draining the cup. "...Hrrm, nope, I'll just keep that a secret with Shinki then."
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 23 Mar 2013 22:03

"Remilia is one of the vampires who do more than just rely on their innate powers. Her mansion didn't show up on her own, it was moved from the outside world by magic. It was a cooperation between Remilia and my colleague who lives in the library at the mansion. I trust I don't need to point out how impressive that spell was." Even if Mima probably wasn't as great a magician as she claimed. She seemed a lot like Marisa in not understanding the term overkill and taking a blunt approach with her magic, even when it was something as supposedly subtle as illusions. "And not all her supporters were weak. Patchouli is likely as great a magician as Yukari, even if her bad health limits her, and the head maid can bend space and time at a whim. And I'm sure you're not so ignorant as to have never heard people be terrified of Flandre."

"Growing old? Back in the day there'd have been stories about travels like that. Of course, maybe you'll try to tell me that you've reformed and become a more peaceful youkai..." Or maybe she was gonna predictably profess her power and villainy at the accusation of having settled down. "Also, did it ever occur to you that you're pretty bad at playing with people like toys if you don't bother even learning rudimentary information about them? And, no, I don't think Yuuka has a grimoire. She's too primal for something that human and civilized."

The final comment was just met with a small shrug. "Suit yourself, I wasn't expecting an honest answer anyway, so I'm not going to lose any sleep wondering what you were going to say. It'd probably be something silly anyway."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 30 Mar 2013 20:28

"...Translocation from the outside world, was it?" Mima said, her face quickly growing more serious. Far more serious then Alice would remember seeing on her face. She tapped her fingers on the couch, now, looking at her carefully. "...You're not joking, are you. A magician with that kind of power...if you're not exaggerating, she's at least on Yuuka's level. So what exactly do you mean by 'bad health'? If she was really that strong, without restrictions, I doubt Marisa could keep running in and robbing them day after day. She'd be turned to mush." The warnings of maid and younger vampire sister didn't seem to interest Mima anywhere near as much as Patchouli's reputation.

...OIf course the comment of becoming peaceful drew an outright laugh from Mima. In fact, she was having trouble stopping. "...Peaceful...*snrk*....and calming down? Like one day, I'll stop stuffing Reimu's box with counterfeit money? Or quit giving Marisa blobs of magical energy disguised as mushrooms? Or stop installing extra features in your dolls? You're better off hoping I'll emigrate to the moon then any of that."

And with that, Mima took another long drink from her sake cup, leaving it almost empty. "...Well, if you're ever curious, you can ask Shinki. By the way, she agreed with me," Mima said, smirking again. "You are right about it being silly, though. But you can always ask her," she said, with a gesture to the peace-sign flashing illusory Shinki who was still sitting on the couch.
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 06 Apr 2013 19:58

"Why would I kid about something that's common knowledge to everyone in Gensokyo not living under a rock?" Alice smirked slightly, even if it would have no effect on the evil spirit before her. Nothing seemed to. "And, yes, bad health. She apparently uses a lot of mercury in her magic. I don't think she cares very much about sleeping or eating either and she seems to forget that magicians aren't tougher than humans. Or maybe she just had a bad case of asthma when she transitioned fully to being a magician and it stayed because it's part of her. Whatever it is, she's sickly and can't use her better magic very often."

Hearing Mima's laughter, Alice mentally facepalmed. How could you make fun of someone too stupid to realize they were being made fun of? "Yes, why not? After all, Yuuka isn't rambling about genocide anymore and Reimu actually has friends now. Why shouldn't you become more peaceful with the times?" She still smirked slightly, taking another drink from her sake. "Also, you haven't really caused many issues like you did back in the day. Others have beaten you to all the large scale problems like flooding the land in cursed spirits or stealing the Moon. If you're still such a terrible evil spirit, you've really been slacking, lately."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

PreviousNext

Return to Forest of Magic