[Ask First] Memories of Makai

Locations: Marisa Kirisame's House, Alice Margatroid's House, Kourindou, The Hakurei Shrine, Gate to Makai
Forum rules
The Forest of Magic is a place brimming with energy and power. The dense trees and deep magic that permeates the forest makes it almost suffocating, but also seems to attract a number of youkai. The forest isn't travelled by many, and only the strange or the magical choose it as their home. The forest is home to two magical beings, the human magician Marisa Kirisame and the youkai puppeteer Alice Margatroid. Marisa's house seems to double as a shop, an Anything-Goes type of store, but whether or not she does any actual business is something of a mystery. Kourindou, owned by Rinnosuke, is another shop on the edge of the Forest of Magic near the human village, and is frequently visited by humans and youkai alike. The Hakurei Shrine, cared for by the shrine maiden Reimu Hakurei, also resides in a thinner area of the forest, near the great Hakurei border.

Re: [Ask First] Memories of Makai

Postby Mima » 20 Apr 2013 17:44

"So, it's always hit or mss whether she's worth seeing or not? No 'best day of the month', no links to the full moon or new moon? ...Well, if you don't know the cause of it in the first place, I should probably bug someone like that maid about the best day for her." She tapped her fingers on the staff. "...Wonder what else she has for 'great magic'. And if everyone in that mansion is a time-space bender. Hmm, if they had some sort of cooperative ritual..." Mima said, clearly taking a moment to let her mind consider magical rituals; puzzles like this were one of the few things that could distract her for a moment that didn't (always) result in explosions and pain for those around.

"Yuuka just settled down into her hobby. If you jab her the wrong way, I'm sure she'd show her old face again too," Mima said with a smirk. "And the spellcard rules make things such a pain. It's just not worth the hassle it used to be to do things like it used to be," she said with a wistful sigh. "...Still find it hard believe that Yuuka went along with those. But it means that there's no fun in just causing those large-scale incidents anymore; no that I mind fighting or fear people, but, being ganged up on all at once by the gap-youkai, Yuuka, the Reaper, and those oni she got to go along with the plan would be dangerous even for me. Only about a two-thirds chance to escape..." She said, poking her head up.

"...Hmm, you're right about slacking. Maybe I should just go ahead and burn something then to make up for lost time. Not this forest, though. Probably. At least not on -purpose-, but I can't make any promises about some of those mushrooms I made, you know."
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 27 Apr 2013 19:31

"My guess would be that the best days are ones where she hasn't just done something major. Or where Marisa hasn't visited, fights sound like the kind of thing that would take a lot out of her." Alice just shrugged, letting her dolls remove her own sake cup and the empty tray the senbei had been in. Mima's musings and curious expression did provoke a response from the magician, however, as Alice's facade cracked and excitement started peeking through. "They might have ways to cooperate, though their powers are quite diverse and only Patchouli and Remilia uses formally trained magic. The others just exercise and practice innate powers. It'd be quite interesting to get some kind of effort figuring out just what it is the maid does...Without going into the tengus' gossip about her origins."

"So how is Yuuka settling down not Yuuka settling down to you?" Alice relaxed in her seat, observing the strange and illogical being in front of her. It wasn't even like Mima was being inconsistent on purpose, she was just strangely stupid for someone as smart as her. "Not like she's the only one who'd be dangerous if you poked her the wrong way. The younger vampire has quite a reputation for being unstable and dangerous, for example, and one of the mountain gods is known for an obsessive love of fighting under all circumstances. And that idiot nuclear bird is seconds away from a meltdown at any given time. I wouldn't seriously put myself as a threat to Yukari, Yuyuko or the yama either. However, ordinary incidents like the ones I mentioned tend to just result in Reimu, Marisa and a few others beating everybody they meet up until they stumble upon whoever is guilty."

"What creative solutions to a loss of notoriety you have. You're sure you're trying?"
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 28 Apr 2013 11:05

"Even if you can't directly sync up natural powers and traditional magic, you can always still work with the effects - if you can only transmute a cubic foot of material, but a space-warper can shrink something down and re-expand it, even if you haven't created a group ritual, the end results would be like you did, so why would it matter?" Mima finished off her sake now, taking what little remained in one go. "It'd explain it all if she didn't have some kind of living material restriction."

"She used to be more bloodthristy then I ever was," Mima said, smirking. "Seein her settle down....well, without those Spellcard Rules and her field of flowers, I'd have said she'd need another three thousand years to come close to it. There were better odds on her building a fortress of skulls back in the old day then actually making that flower-field she talked about," Mima said, with a sigh. "And whoever these new people are, I bet they still don't measure up to Yuuka."

THe last comment got brushed aside, though, as Mima went for another question that was perpendicular at best o the current topic. "So, Alice, how're you with that grimoire these days, too?"
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 04 May 2013 12:33

"Obviously, but that's less of a ritual than an industrial process. It holds neither religious significance nor the arcane resonance of actual rituals." Even as she brushed Mima's comment off, Alice seemed notably excited. "However, it is a good question. I imagine they could do something like that if they wanted to, just like I doubt the mansion being greater on the inside than the outside is purely maintained by the maid all the time, it'd be a lot of work trying to maintain it. The way Remilia controls fate itself should make for some interesting interactions with both her own magic and Patchouli's, using the sympathetic resonance created by a bond like that."

"You were always more of an obnoxious irritant than a bloodthirsty monster, so that doesn't surprise me." As she talked she had the dolls pour her another cup of sake, just so she could sip it to make look cooler and more in control as the reply came. "And I wouldn't underestimate them. The bird has consumed the power of the Yatagarasu and the mountain goddess was the one to get her hands on it to feed her. That's rather considerable power, I'd say. The bird also uses the outside world power of nuclear fission and fusion, according to the outside world books that I've gotten my hands on, even a simple, experimental explosion using those forces is enough to eradicate an entire city. It is also the power of the sun itself, which I'm sure even you would agree is pretty significant."

At the question about the grimoire, Alice took another sip. "I have it quite under control. It's power was part of what allowed me to bring my daughters to life. It is also safely contained to not get any ideas of taking over either."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 11 May 2013 21:42

"Results are results," Mima retaliated. "Methods, efficiency, style don't matter compared to the results you can make with your magical power," she said, reflecting her end of the philosophy that Marisa had taken - a sense of result-oriented rather then technique-focused magic. The idea of 'training' herself in the same way of Alice's puppeteering housework would be something that the evil spirit would never do. "What does 'controls fate' even mean? I remember hearing about a lucky bunny; sdhouldn't it be nothing more then that? A pity. You'd think a vampire would have a better technique then that of a plain rabbit youkai."

"A nuclear-powered harmless idiot is still a harmless idiot. Reimu figured that out ages ago," Mima said with a shrug, referring to the nuclear maid orbot. "All that's different is a few wings. If she tried to blow up a city, she'd probably just burn her own feathers. Powers on the level of that Netherworld princess's or gaphags aren't usable by morons."

Mima smirked "You really are your mother's daughter, then," Mima said, waving a hand offhand. "As long as you can't keep it uncontained for more then a year at a time, though, you'll be a step or two behind." She took another sip from her sake - or would have, if it wasn't empty. "Are you ever going to try other forms of magic, too?"
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 24 May 2013 14:24

"So understanding underlying principles to extrapolate further uses is irrelevant?" Alice raised an eyebrow at Mima's comment. Even Marisa tried something resembling real scholarship, as sloppy as it was, after all. "And as efficient as that would be, it's really just a trick. A useful one, but one that is far more limited than full ritual magic or the versatility of a single magician with a variety of powers blending them for new and novel effects that could only happen by applying different kinds of magic at any given stage." As she spoke, Alice grew more excitable, something that wasn't lost on her. Even the evil spirit actively trying to rub her the wrong way couldn't quite cancel out just how interesting complex magic was.

"And I'm not sure on the details of Remilia's ability to control fate, she isn't very inclined to express the details. However, the most likely guess would be that it means she can nudge probability to make specific things happen, even if they were extremely unlikely. Or perhaps she makes the world itself contort itself to make a specific result happen, like the outside world hero whose fate was to die if he tried to be heroic making a highly improbable injury enough to kill him."

The comment about Okuu earned Mima another raised eyebrow and a small smirk. "But that would mean she was a harmless idiot, rather than a dangerous idiot. She was about to burn the surface down when Reimu and Marisa stopped her and nuclear power is the big, scary thing to the outside world. I'm rather surprised that we haven't seen giant lizards breathing fire or nuclear corpses shuffling around in here yet, they seem to genuinely believe and fear them out there. Also, more to the point, I have seen her fight and she blew up a fair bit more than just her own feathers. Like an arena, a large number of dolls and the wards on my grimoire."

"Whose daughter would I be otherwise?" Another small smirk. "And I try not to rely on crutches like that, but rather to develop my own skill at magic to be more accomplished in the long run. As for my magic, many different kinds are relevant for creating life. I have studied the magic of spirits and ghosts quite a bit, for example, just like the magical resonance of objects is quite important in my line of research. Power transfer and detailed control matter too and beyond that, I still haven't neglected personal defenses or shielding."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 01 Jun 2013 01:04

"It's not irrelevant, but it's far less important then just increasing your strength, power, and results," Mima said with a wave. It was easy to see where Marisa got her philosophy from, with the kind of magic power Mima had already blown on things like the starry-couch and the animated Shinki now sitting next to her. "Too much technique is a way to cover up for a lack of power. If you have enough power, you can accomplish incredible things with basic spells. It's the truth. Marisa might be in denial about it, but I thought you'd understand it better," Mima said with a little shrug.

"So, it's just speculation? ...Well, a power as vague as that, it'd be the kind you can't even fight against normally if she had proper control. So if people keep raiding her mansion, either she likes it, or her control must be pretty crappy," Mima remarked. "She sounds like she measures up to that kind of harmless idiot. An amazing power that neither bothered to really develop," Sh esaid with an exaggerated sigh. "Unles if those wards on your grimoire got a lot weaker, it'd take effort for me to break them, so if she was doing it with her raw ability, it should've been enough to blow you away."

"Oh, who else's daughter?" Mima echoed, grinning. "How do you know Shinki and I didn't swap when you and Marisa were babies?" She said, lifting up a hand to twirl a strand of her hair. "Hypothetically, you know. Not that we did that. By the way, if you need to go collecting ghosts or spirits for something, I know a few places."
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 06 Jun 2013 14:41

"Which still makes it relevant for people who aren't Shinki or Yukari." Alice raised an eyebrow at Mima's ridiculous comment about finesse being a waste. "Or people who try anything delicate or that needs to stay hidden. There is also the issue of keeping a lot of effects going at a time. And sometimes people just take pride in showing control and an ability to pull things up with minimal effort as a sign of skill."

Mima's speculation on the limitations of Remilia's powers only earned her a little shrug. "Or it requires considerable effort to do so. It's a vague power that she doesn't exactly let others study, so anything that can be said would be vague, hypothetical speculation. Maybe she thinks getting raided all the time makes her mansion feel more welcoming, she likes hosting lavish parties after all. But I'd suggest speaking to her, rather than me about just what her power over fate entails." As for the comment about Okuu, it earned Mima an irritated frown. "I had to put everything into shielding myself. And then when the wards weakened, she managed to damage the lock which is the focus of a number of other wards, so I needed to keep things under control there."

"You mean apart from the fact that we know Marisa's father lives in the village? That seems like a pretty good way of telling that she's the right one. Also, I believe you didn't actually meet Shinki until you invaded our home, well after me and Marisa stopped being babies. And, no, I don't need to collect ghosts or spirits. I can already bind them into an object to not just animate it, but breathe true life into it, even allowing it to grow with training the way ordinary humans and youkai can." As she spoke, pride surged to Alice's voice as she related her greatest magical achievement. "My daughters are studying kung-fu at the temple and have made quite impressive progress according to Byakuren."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 15 Jun 2013 19:11

Mima grinned. "You can do that all with brute force! Throw up a powerful cloaking spell, throw in permanency effects, throw in whatever you need. I'll just keep y pride in my strength," she said with a smirk. "But, so this little hellcrow actually damaged you wards? ...Hey, how about letting me take a shot at it with my spark, and seeing if I can blow straight through it?" She asked, raising up her staff. Any potential problems that Alice might have with her grimoire being subjected to dangerously concentrated levels of magical force didn't concern Mima.

The vampire, apparently, no longer really interested Mima, since she skipped back over to the more interesting subject of Marisa's parentage. "Oh, I just messed with his memories. He's just a human, it's not like he could've stopped me how ever much he wanted," she said, waving a hand. "And since they don't talk to each other anyways, that just makes it even easier. Don't have to worry about anyone comparing stories and realizing they don't match up if they spend most the time pretending the other doesn't exist."

The last part, however, did spark Mima's interest again. "...Byakuren? That sealed-away monk? Fufufu, you've picked an interesting purpose to study under. You'd still learn more with Shinki, but that fallen monk knows some interesting things. You'll get some surprising results out of it - as long as you can figure out what parts of that Buddhist ceremony you don't really need to bother with and just gets in the way."
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 22 Jun 2013 15:46

"How about you don't try to destroy my home." Alice's expression turned firmer as she leveled her gaze straight on Mima. If the evil spirit really tried, there was nothing she could do to stop her, but she could likely overpower her if she were to actually draw on the grimoire. Hopefully Mima knew that as well and didn't make good of the threat.

"And those of the rest of the villagers who remember him having a daughter? Including the Child of Miare. The village isn't large enough that a prominent store owner like her father could gain or lose a child without everyone else knowing. It also seems like a whole lot of effort to go to for the sake of being able to tease her and me years down the line." Really, how stupid did she take her to be? Other than stupid enough to let herself get dragged into the conversation in the first place, she supposed.

"Yes, the sealed monk who was released when a certain birdbrain tried to break hell to drown the surface in nuclear fire. But, no, I'm not studying under her. My daughters are. I needed someone reliable and talented who I had a connection to, Shinki's old friend who has pretty much dedicated her entire life to helping others seemed to fit the bill."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 01 Jul 2013 22:32

"Not the home, just a seal," Mima says, either ignorant (Unlikely) or reckless enough (Very likely) to not care about the fact that any force sufficient to break the seal would probably endanger a substantial portion of the Forest of Magic. Whatever Alice thought, Mima clearly thought that she could overpower Alice. ...And forcing her to draw on the grimoire might've been her own victory, anyways.

"It's only a lot of trouble for you," Mima pointed out. "With your lackluster stores of magic. Well, bribing that history-eater's probably a requirement, but for someone who can build a schoolhouse in a day, do you think I'd have much trouble with it?" The evil spirit said, with a laugh.

"Sooo, your daughters are going to wind up nuns. How does that make you feel? As a mother, you know. Had you already picked out marriage concepts for them? I know Yuuka had one she was looking out for," She said, sounding like she thought this should be a serious discussion.
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 13 Jul 2013 15:10

"Because you're known for the kind of restraint needed to blast away at the grimoire at full power without damaging the building around it?" Alice raised an eyebrow slightly. "Regardless, you're not touching it."

Mima's continued ramblings just got her a small shrug. "Still doesn't address the motive or lack of it. Basically, why would you bother with something like that for a one off joke? You're far too lazy to do anything of the sort, even without taking the complaints of more powerful entities with an interest in the village into account." Really, how poorly did Mima think she knew her? Or the village for that matter.

"No, but temples providing education is a tradition in Japan. Not just that, who better to teach weak youkai to become strong enough to fend for themselves than a normal human who through sheer effort became one of the most powerful magicians in Gensokyo, yet behaves with a restraint and concern for others rare among the powerful of Gensokyo?" She paused for a bit to get Mima's inevitable laughter out of the way. "I don't want them to turn into little Marisas, you know."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 27 Jul 2013 22:23

"If it's strong enough, it'll just block the blast instead of letting it wreck your house," Mima comments, completely ignoring the possibility of 'it's not strong enough, and you blow away the house and the grimoire'. Of course, Mima doesn't spark without permission. Thios time.

"Because even today, you're underestimating my power," she says with a wave of her hand. "I mean, I bet it'll take you at least a day to get rid of Shinki now," she says, looking at the occupant she had added to Alice's couch." She clearly though she was still being underestimated, even while she lazed on the couch.

"So you're saying we should expect to see a Hakutaku - vs - Buddhism education throwdown in the village?" Mima said, deliberately misinterpreting the statement, of course. "And I think a bunch of little Marisas would do the village some good. Hmm, what do you think about me teaching them how to do that? After all, right now, I'm the one who's brought an ordinary human furthest on the ways of power in Gensokyo," she said with a grin. "Maybe I could even make my own army of magicians..." She said, her face going from 'joking' to 'seriously plotting' now.
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 01 Aug 2013 15:15

"Or it deflects it rather than absorbing it. Or some strange resonance happens doing who knows what." Alice did her best to avoid sighing at the evil spirit, thanking her years of training in not showing much of what she thinking. At least it seemed like Mima wasn't going to blow her house up.

"So you're saying that if the youkai of gaps, the alcoholic oni, that immortal hermit and the Lunarians got angry at you, they wouldn't be able to do anything? I'd be rather surprised if somebody who was beaten by Reimu several times would easily beat all of those. Even if the hermit and one of the Lunarians got into a fight instead." She shrugged, her smile growing a slight bit amused. "And even if not, it'd still be a lot of pointless work to mess with the entire village like that and you're far too lazy for it. Not like people wouldn't talk about the incident if you had, either."

"The temple is for youkai, the hakutaku teaches humans. I can't see there being much of an argument there. Also, I doubt that Keine would really complain about more people teaching, she's busy enough as it is. And you missed an important part there, you brought an ordinary human the furthest in power while staying human. Marisa is nothing special compared to people like me or Byakuren who have shed humanity to become true magicians." The change in Mima's expression, didn't trigger a corresponding one in Alice's, who remained completely unphazed by it. "Enjoy getting reacquainted with the yin-yang orbs, then. And getting to meet the silver knives and divine power from the mountain too. Maybe the sword that forces ghosts back into the cycle of reincarnation too."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 04 Aug 2013 01:46

"The problem really was capturing Reimu instead of just killing her," Mima said, lounging back with a smirk. "People forget what battles were like in the days before the spellcard rules. There wasn't anything stopping that shrine maiden from trying her hardest to blow me back to hell. Feh, most the troublemakers these days are so used to their training wheels. Really, I can't believe you forgot too, even if you were more of a kid back then," Mima said, waving a hand.

Of course, the fact that she was lazy...well, Mima just ignored it. Except for considering how long it had been since her last incident. "Hmm, you're right, and that means if I had students willing to throw aside their humanity, then they'd be even stronger~" She said, smirking. "If it's really so evenly divided in the village, that's a problem. People should be more curious and ambitious. It'd be interesting to see in that case, if those yin-yang orbs get turned against the humans instead of the youkai, right?"
Mima
Main Character

PreviousNext

Return to Forest of Magic