[Ask First] Memories of Makai

Locations: Marisa Kirisame's House, Alice Margatroid's House, Kourindou, The Hakurei Shrine, Gate to Makai
Forum rules
The Forest of Magic is a place brimming with energy and power. The dense trees and deep magic that permeates the forest makes it almost suffocating, but also seems to attract a number of youkai. The forest isn't travelled by many, and only the strange or the magical choose it as their home. The forest is home to two magical beings, the human magician Marisa Kirisame and the youkai puppeteer Alice Margatroid. Marisa's house seems to double as a shop, an Anything-Goes type of store, but whether or not she does any actual business is something of a mystery. Kourindou, owned by Rinnosuke, is another shop on the edge of the Forest of Magic near the human village, and is frequently visited by humans and youkai alike. The Hakurei Shrine, cared for by the shrine maiden Reimu Hakurei, also resides in a thinner area of the forest, near the great Hakurei border.

[Ask First] Memories of Makai

Postby Mima » 07 Oct 2012 01:36

The Forest of Magic was a very familiar place for an evil spirit; a place where she had taken more then one tour to visit her more-or-less adopted apprentice. A human witch who had dared to attempt to learn the magic of an evil spirit, and who had done quite well.

This time she had come to visit someone else - or maybe she had just gotten lost. Mima did get lost sometimes. More often when she ate some of the mushrooms from the forest without caring what they were (They couldn't KILL a ghost). Or when she drank oni sake. And in this case, the evil spirit - who was hanging upside-down from the roof in front of Alice's door, with her head streaming downwards - had a picnic basket full of mushrooms, some half-eaten, and bottles of sake marked with one or two oni horns, according to strength. This would be sure to be a fun visit, whenever Alice noticed the spirit.
Mima
Main Character

Re: [Ask First] Memories of Makai

Postby Alice Margatroid » 10 Oct 2012 02:26

Unfortunately for Mima, nobody seemed to react. In fact, there were no sign of action in the house at all. No dolls dusting off the windowsills, nor any smoke rising from the chimney. There weren't any signs of major magic being performed, nor wards to contain it either. If she were to give it a bit of thought, it would seem clear that the house was empty and the puppeteer was out.

A short distance away Alice was on her way back through the forest, a host of her dolls in tow. It hadn't been an important trip, she had really just gone to gather some magical reagants needed for creating animated dolls to replace some that had been destroyed in various, mostly youkai-related, accidents. And do some shopping in the village. And perform a show for the kids at the market. It had been pretty busy really, but not important per se.

Thanks to her good mood, her expression was softer than what people normally saw as she walked through the forest towards her home, making her look a lot more like the young girl she really was than her usually cold demeanor. It quickly came to an end as she reached the house and saw the evil spirit, however. She knew about Mima and not just that, the bottles and basket was remarkably suspicious. And above all why was she waiting for her?
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 10 Oct 2012 11:24

"...S'white, lke a cloud, but there isn't any brown in the sky..." Mima muttered, rolling to the side slightly and becoming detached from Alice's house. With the unfortunate problem that now, the spirit was just falling, and in a fw seconds her head would hi-wait, no.

Instead, the spirit fell intp the ground, apparently having shifted to a more insubstantial form, and vanished from Alice's immediate field of view. 'Gone' was certainly a relative term, though, for a few seconds later, the spirit had popped out of the ground again behind Alice, and swifting dropped her hand on Alice's shoulder. "Margatroid!" Mima declared beaming happily. "How're you doing? I figured it's been a while since I last wandered in here, I might as well go around and see how you people that live here are surviving. Don't worry, I brought good sakee and good mushrooms...although, I got bored and ate most the best ones. Aside from this one," she said, lifting up a mushroom that, improbably, had three other mushrooms growing out of the cap - each of a clearly identifiable species, by the terms of the Forest of Magic, but combined was just...

"...Yeah, even I can't trust this one." Mima admitted. "So, you're inviting me in, right?"
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 13 Oct 2012 20:32

...What was up with the spirit? She'd always been unpredictable, obnoxious and loud, but usually she seemed to have far more guidance to her behavior than this. Was she just trying out a new way of being a pest? Was that why she'd tripped and fallen into the ground? If so, how long had she practiced that maneuver for, it seemed like something that'd take actual skill to do on purpose.

It didn't get much better when the magician suddenly felt a hand on her shoulder, though she didn't let it show. "It has. I thought you'd lost interest in annoying Marisa's friends, but I guess not." Alice naturally turned to face her guest, getting all too clear a view of the empty basket, the...worrying mushroom and the oni sake. So that was what was up. Mima had actually gone and gotten herself stoned on mushrooms that even Marisa wasn't crazy enough to touch. "I'm fine without mushrooms, thank you very much." She was fine without oni sake too, but angering Mima was hardly something she wanted to do, better to humor her and get it over with.

"I wasn't planning on inviting you in, but since you ask. I bought some senbei when shopping in the village, so we can eat those with the sake, instead of dodgy mushrooms." And with that final comment, the dolls moved over to open the door to let the evil spirit in.
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 14 Oct 2012 19:57

"I'm not pestering Marisa's friends this week!" Mima protested, putting on wide-eyed shock. "I'm bugging Shinki's old companions. You're just lucky enough to be in both categories, so, I get to come by here twice as much," the spirit explained, floating on in after Alice as the doors opened. "I wouldn't eat these mushrooms either, so senbei sounds great," Mima continued happily, taking the time after she got into the small house to look around at the funriture. She'd probably wind up floating, hanging off of one thing or another (Or pretending to, effortless flying as fun), but looking was nice.

"That crazy mushroom? I bet it could poison the dead, so I figured if I bumped into Marisa here, I'd give it to her so she could stuff it into one of her mixtures and try setting it on fire, drowning it in the river, or whatever experimental technique she's messing with these days," she said, shrugging and leaning on her back as she decided to recline a full foot above a couch. "Anyways, shopping in the village? you've still got your pretty nice set-up out here in the Forest, don't you? And I bet you've got some new dolls again, too."
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 20 Oct 2012 15:34

This was going to be a long afternoon. The evil spirit was irritating enough usually, but when affected like this and determined to make obnoxious excuses she had to be far worse. For one thing she'd use it as an excuse to get up to even more mischief than usual. "Naturally, because you've been so particular about the reasons you pester people in the past." The cold, thin smile that was so common for the magician was in full effect as she returned Mima's comment. "And I didn't notice you pestering me very often, almost sounds like you just made it up right now."

As the pair entered, a large group of the dolls fluttered off to the side carrying the stand she used for her shows to put it in the hangar. Most of the other dolls went ahead, carrying groceries to the kitchen, leaving the pack of senbei at the table between the two couches. Finally, a small group directed the evil spirit towards one of the couches. "You're that eager to get your apprentice killed? You might be flighty, irresponsible and disregard any kind of rules and sanity, but you never seemed that wasteful." The puppeteer's cold tone made the barb all the more clear as she took a seat herself, a doll approaching them from the kitchen carrying a pair of sake cups.

"You're lounging on the couch in that setup, apparently those mushrooms affected you more than you might have thought. Yes, I live in the forest, but I still need things from the village. Such as those senbei you seemed interested in eating." Alice's icy demeanor seemed strained as she kept talking to her guest. "And yes, I have in fact made quite a large number of new dolls, just like I have acquired some rare ones from the outside world."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 31 Oct 2012 01:20

"Exactly! I don't pester you very often, and I just realized that, so it means I need to come by more often," she said with the a smirk that was as common for her as cold smiles were for Alice. As well as the lazy barrel roll in the air above the couch, rotating herself to keep facing Alice. And the dolls. At least, until she made two full rotations.

A hand reached over to pick up one of the senbei crackers, dipping it in the sake before she bit into the cracker with a sharp crack. And a couple crumbs falling, of course. On top of the couch. "Wasteful? Nah, I'm sure she'll manage not to blow herself up with it. Maybe singe herself a little, blacken her hat. Make for a good news story, wouldn't it?"

The senbei got snacked on again, and a sip taken from the sake. "The outside world, huh. You're really expandin' out. Do they move as well as the ones you make here yourself, or is there more problems matching them up to your magic?" Another bite from the cracker, and that one, at least, was done. "And from the outside...so, is it the Border-Demon, or that Mystery Storekeeper?"
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 10 Nov 2012 21:43

"Right, and I'm sure Reimu agrees." Alice's cold smile held as she took her seat in the armchair opposite from Mima. The evil spirit clearly still had it and was still as determined as always to irritate those around her. "So does the desire to show off skill at flying come with intangible, weightless bodies unaffected by inertia? Or is it just you?" The magician's smile turned closer to a sarcastic smirk, letting the dolls pour her a cup of sake that she took a sip from.

Seeing the crumbs, the puppeteer did nothing except make sure a doll was on hand to brush them up the second the evil spirit left. It was at least a minor thing. "How generous of you. One would almost think you cared for her." Taking a senbei of her own, taking a rather more careful bite of it, the magician raised an eyebrow. "And how exactly would you do that with a mushroom you claim you don't know anything about? It might have effects you don't know about." At least the origins of the black-white's reckless and haphazard attitude to magical experimentation were simple to find and came from where you'd expect. Which reminded her, she needed to ask Marisa how exactly she was still alive at some point.

"Right, the outside world. I have been collecting rare dolls that make their way to Gensokyo for a while now." Her attitude softened slightly as she gestured towards her shelf of outside world dolls including what an outside worlder, or at least a nerd from out there, would instantly recognize as a model Gundam, along with a brightly painted, red wooden horse, a matroshkya, a voodoo doll and a few similar objects. However, what the dolls picked up were a pair of strange, angular stylized dolls, one red, the other purple. While it was hard to see underneath the angles they appeared to be dressed in a stylized dress build into the whole things and each had a pair of spirals near the back of the head that appeared styled after drill curls along with blades build into their arms. "They move as well as the dolls I make, but their mobility tends to be limited since they tend to have limited joints. In this case, however, they're made from some strange, fragile material we don't have here and trying to use them for any practical purposes would be madness. Mostly I study them to and understand dolls better as a whole and what kind of magical resonance they hold."

Her smile finally turned slightly triumphant at Mima's guess. "And neither. The shinigami brought them for me last Christmas. I have no idea where her or the spider who was behind the gift giving got them. Probably Rinnosuke's shop, though I imagine the shinigami has her own sources as well."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 24 Nov 2012 18:43

"I still hang around the shrine mostly, so I can make sure she's being properly irritated too," Mima said, taking another sip of her sake. "And, nah, that ghost princess, I've heard, prefers just floatin' halfway through things if she's in the mood. That's pretty fun to do too, but, I like saving that one for special ocassions, you know? Like a good punchline."

The spirit moved for the dolls - as long as she was trying to eat and drink, it was a pin to carry things that weren't hers with her, so she wound up floating a couple more inches above the sofa. "I've got no idea what it does, but, if not knowing what a mushroom did was enough for Marisa to blow herself up with her own experiments, she'd never have finished buildin' a house out here, you know? I'd just as soon expect you to lose control of one of your dolls - the kinda thing that'll never happen, even if the dolls' as big and complicated as a mansion. You should do that," Mima commented, as she snacked onto another cracker.

The outside world dolls, on the other hand, had gained Mima's attention. An unusual material, not present in Gensokyo? With their own magical resonance?

...She wanted to poke one. Maybe enchant it. Just a little. It probably wouldn't break. "...So you haven't found their magical resonance yet? And you got them last Christmas? This one's proving pretty difficult for you, ain't it? How about trying mixing the flavor of magic a little bit to see if something different happens?" She asked, spinning a finger in the air to briefly summon a small illusion of the solar system, planets spinning, above her hand to make her offer of magically testing the dolls clear.
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 25 Nov 2012 12:36

Despite absolutely no outward signs of it as she nibbled on a senbei, Alice practically projected an aura of facepalming at Mima's comment about irritating Reimu. "You know, sometimes I wonder if you're irritating her as much as you claim. You certainly don't look particularly sealed or exterminated to me, floating there and dropping crumbs on my couch. Maybe you actually get along with her just fine and simply pretend to irritate her to keep your reputation as a pest up." For a second, the cold smile grew teasing as the magician took a sip from her sake.

"I guess you're right. She is rather reckless with her experiments. Last she visited me, she promised that the explosions could serve as an alarm clock for me." Despite the comment, it was easy to hear that Alice's tone was warmer than it had been for most of their conversation. "And I see that you haven't seen the goliath. Quite a useless experiment, but it looks scary so it intimidates fairies far more easily than far more effective normal dolls. You know what they're like."

The teasing about the new dolls on the other hand, returned the mental groaning and colder expression. "They're not tricky, nor are they useful. They break too easily for practical use and studying the nuances of their magical resonance is best done comparatively and I have other experiments to perform. They're just curiosities and interesting glimpses into the outside world, nothing more. However, they do look fascinating, don't they? And like they have a purpose that's hard to guess at."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 01 Dec 2012 17:45

"You know, they say she's a genius, but she sucks at that sealing thing," Mima said, taking another sip of her drink. "Compared to her ancestors, at least. But, well, I ]i]like[/i] buggin' her. So I guess you could say I get along with her...but then again, if you're talkin' about what she thinks, I think at least half of it is that I could stuff her donation box with rice. Not that I did that recently. Really, if she actually DID starve, Gensokyo'd be a lot more boring Most of the Hakurei Maidens were just pains in the ass."

The mention of the Goliath brought a chuckle from the evil spirit. "I remember hearin' about some outside world dolls called 'Scarecrows' or whatever, to keep tengu and reporters away. I guess that there's no reason you can't make a ScareFairy. But why would you bother? Havin' trouble keeping fairies off your roof?"

"They're pretty fascinating, but, purposes..." Mima said, looking at them and peering closely at them, affecting being in thought. "...That one's for danmaku, isn't it?" she said, pointing at the Gundam. "Looks pretty clear to me, but I wonder if anyone in the outside world ever used that one particularly for it."

"..But, you know, I gotta go back to something you said. If you're saying I'm not being enough of a pest, does that mean I need to do something more to bother you to make up for this pleasant chat?" She said, cheshire grin on her face as she glanced down at the couch.
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 03 Dec 2012 19:37

"I rather doubt she's that desperate to keep you around in just that vain hope." Another sip from the sake to punctuate the sentence and create a break. "Unless of course you really care more about her than you claim and actively sneak her food to keep her around. Or maybe just self-preservation, a certain blond woman who reminds me a bit of you have made it quite clear what would happen should Reimu die without a successor."

Alice's expression quickly turned unamused as her eyes narrowed, pinning the evil spirit with her gaze as she heard the next comment. "I know what a scarecrow is. It scares actual crows, not tengu and I'd be surprised if it would stop Aya. But, no, the Goliath was not made to scare fairies. It was an experiment in refining my control and stretching my limits as a puppeteer, it just happens that the only other purpose it is any good for is scaring fairies. They're like kids in thinking that bigger things are scarier."

"Outside worlders don't have magic and none of these dolls have any way of producing danmaku." The magician's tone was the patient, somewhat smug one of a teacher who wanted to make it clear that they were long-suffering with students like that. "As best I can guess, they're religious effigies of some kind. That or just plain old toys, though they don't seem like they'd be very fun to play with...And, no, you don't need to be more of a pest. Trust me, you're doing plenty already."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 06 Dec 2012 02:27

Mima's humorous demeanor shifted for a moment, giving way to a far cooler smile the moment Alice mentioned her theory. "...My, I forget how imaginative you magicians tend to be. With your mother, I'd have thought you'd remember how hard it is to get us from the older era to respond to that kind of request, even from that gap youkai."

Of course, the next topic brightened up the spirit's face again. "Then, send it to where the greatest concentration of fairies is. Isn't it that giant red house? They'll probably be amused seeing all the fairies flee in terror from it. And there has to be some variation that works on tengus, too. That one...an oni would know, maybe. More if they'd remember it with all their drinking."

"You mean they can't make them produce danmaku, but I can tell they wish that one did. From..." she says, moving her finger to point. "...The left hand! Or maybe that giant thing in the right. It could be rigged up for it. You know, a little like..." she said, grinning as she suddenly pushed her finger downwards into the couch, causing it to flare suddenly with an incredible level of magic....and then vanish.

For a moment.

After a short amount of time - less then a second - the couch was colored in a deep black, one that seemed vast in emptiness...except for distant-seeming white sparkles and the trail of blazing comets, moving slowly over the great distance (Or it seemed) of the couch, galaxies orbiting about; like a far-off view of space, now right now in Alice's living room. It was beautiful.

And horrendously eye-catching.

And set to a ten-second loop, so while the beauty could be mesmerizing for about...a minute. It's sure to become a distraction eventually, especially since the comets started to 'whistle' through space. A terrifically annoying waste of enough magic for most normal magicians to use in an entire day.
Mima
Main Character

Postby Alice Margatroid » 12 Dec 2012 00:20

"So essentially I was right, you just wanted to keep up appearances of being a big, scary rogue who didn't care about what anybody said?" Alice's cold smile turned into a small, teasing smirk as she took another sip from the sake. It was almost like she tried to turn the tables and mess with Mima instead of the opposite. "Also, if you knew my mother as well as you claimed you'd know she was totally alright with this, liking a chance to show off without risk."

The teasing expression quickly vanished, however, replaced by a rather unamused one instead. "The goliath is a research tool, not a way of terrifying random fairies. Why would I waste the energy and insult Remilia by attacking her home with a giant, clumsy doll just to scare fairies?" She let it sink in for a bit before continuing. "Unless you're just going by what you would do in this situation and think I'm the same, in which case your self-proclaimed villainy is a lot pettier than I expected."

"Oh, of course. Like I said, it's probably a toy or an object of worship of some kind, though I wonder what god would choose to appear like that. It looks hard to show off properly with a face that..." The expression turned further irritated as Mima decided to ruin her interior decoration to quite a remarkable extend. "Can you turn it back? I don't need an inaccurate astronomical chart and even if I did, I'd prefer it not to be the couch."
Alice Margatroid
Main Character

Postby Mima » 03 Jan 2013 23:35

"We made a deal," Mim asaid, smiling back at Alice. "Although, now that we have a second shrine maiden in Gensokyo, I might not really need all of that deal anymore..." She said, taking another sip. "I'd rather have Reimu, but, maybe this new one has some advantages...going up a mountain just seems like a pain, though."

The goliath idea provoked her to smirk again. "Remilia would just be amused at something that interesting happening in her mansion," the spirit said with a bit of a rotation. "And what I would do is figure out a way to adapt it to terrify other things besides fairies. Find out if there's tricks to dealing with, say, magicians. I'll even give you a freebie - catfish for gate guards. Works like a charm."

Of course, the lynchpin - the astrological couch - provoked almost exactly the right expression from Alice. "Hmm, I could turn it back," Mima said, nodding as she paused, taking a sip of sake and munching on another cracker. "I'll have you know, though, it is accurate. The timeframe is sped up a bit, but if you watched from your roof the right time of year, that's exactly what you'd see. And where would you put it if it wasn't on the couch?"
Mima
Main Character

Next

Return to Forest of Magic