[Ask First] A Visit to the Shop

Archive for threads set in the Forest of Magic.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Ask First] A Visit to the Shop

Postby Yuuka Kazami » 26 Aug 2010 20:24

[Ask first just because I would like less then five people (maybe one other max) - would totally be up for another person, so someone is more then welcome to join - just let me know!]

The Forest of Magic was an ancient and mystical place – the very roots of the forest held powerful natural enchantments that filled the place with a near oppressive life. The deep greens and browns of the sylvan stretch spoke clearly of the natural essence that permeated the very ground.

The green-haired monster stepped carefully through the undergrowth, careful not to harm any of the plants that flourished – she was an embodiment of nature, and the overflowing life of the forest filled her with quiet satisfaction. Aside from an occasional visit to the shrine (though she was quite overdue for one), the forest was not a normal destination for her and it only made each visit that much sweeter.

However today her business had her feet pointed with a specific destination in mind – she had left the sunny hillside near the Sanzu no Kawa and headed for the shady coolness of the thick forest. Her business was not with the shrine, but rather with the small and eccentric shop that rested near the outskirts of the forest.

It was not long before she stepped from a thick root of a mighty tree and onto the worn path that winded through the last meters of forest and into the clearing the shop resided within. Her destination in sight, she leisurely strolled to the porch of the shop and climbed the steps, knocking lightly upon the door with the handle of her parasol before opening it to step inside.

“Please pardon my intrusion,” Yuka said with a soft smile as she closed the door behind her, her red eyes scanning the interior of the shop to try and pinpoint the location of it’s owner.
Yuuka Kazami
Free Character

Re: [Ask First] A Visit to the Shop

Postby Rinnosuke Morichika » 29 Aug 2010 03:56

“Welcome,” He replied warmly, awake enough to break from the habits and platitudes he continuously relied on. “Is there anything that I could help you with?”

It was a standard routine for a shop-keep and Rinnosuke’s mood had been ever-increasing along with an abundance in sales. It seemed that luck was beginning to turn her eye on Kourindou and the change in the fates was more than enough to put Rinnosuke in a good mood. He smiled at her casually from his spot at his counter, a leather-bound book in hand and a steaming cup of tea within reach. It wasn’t like he had been up to much before his customer appeared.

It was with much satisfaction that he noticed how mature Yuka looked. First impressions leaned heavily on her being a reasonable and kind customer, which meant that the sale would be quick and painless. These were the kinds of guests that he wished would show up daily. Instead, they were far and few between; he supposed that in a way, it made him appreciate them all the more.

“Was there anything in particular that you were looking for, Miss?” With a careful hand, he shut the book on his desk and pushed himself up, ready to tend to her at a moment’s notice.
Rinnosuke Morichika
Alternate Character

Postby Suika Ibuki » 31 Aug 2010 08:24

Deep within the still and tranquil forest lurked an ominous and foreboding fog. At least, that is how any normal person would have viewed it. What was once a clear and vividly beautiful sight of nature had suddenly become nothing but vague images within the thick mist. Considering the reputation the forest held, such a thing might have been considering normal. Of course, in truth, there was nothing really ominous about the mist at all. It was just how a certain playful oni went about traveling around.

The mist of Suika would tread through the forest at a steady pace. Her set destination was the shop of oddities known as Kourindou. Thinking about it, Suika didn't really hang around the shop that much, the obvious reason for this being that it wasn't really a "hang-out" spot like the Hakurei Shrine. While she did not know the shopkeeper to a great degree, Suika couldn't help but feel that an oni wouldn't be entirely welcomed into an antique shop. This was especially the case if she had no money on her. However, what isn't to say that Suika's window shopping wouldn't lead to a future sale? It was such reasoning that brought Suika to the edge of the Forest of Magic, slowly nearing Kourindou. Of course, there was one thing Suika had not completely worked out before reaching the shop.

What exactly would she seek to buy?

Avoiding the obvious liquor related answers, Suika didn't really require anything from the outside world that she knew of. Still, she did not know much of the outside world to begin with. If she remembered correctly, that one tengu's camera was a device that came from beyond the border. Indeed it was something of interest, however it wasn't something Suika would be willing to pay money for. A dirty job like photography did not suit her, and considering Reimu's views of Aya's profession, Suika would would probably be banned from the shrine if she did go about buying one.

Before Suika had time to come up with an answer, she was already filling a small portion of the shop with her dense mist. She had been so deep in thought that she had not noticed phasing through the shop doors. Suika's head had literally been in the clouds it seemed. Before she could cause any unneeded trouble for the shopkeeper and any of his customers, Suika's mist gathered together in one spot, causing her body to form together in it's normal little oni shape. Landing on the ground with a quiet tap, Suika turned went about scanning the shops interior. "Sorry for the intrusion~" Suika said, going about one corner of the store to do more searching. Considering that it looked as if there was already business being done, the playful oni decided to wait for a bit before going to Rinnosuke.
Suika Ibuki
Alternate Character

Postby Yuuka Kazami » 01 Sep 2010 02:22

It seemed she did not have to search to thoroughly to find the shopkeeper – his voice directed her attention easily and she turned to face him, giving him a short and polite bow. “It is a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Morichika. The red-white shrine maiden has told me many things about you.”

She took a few steps deeper into the shop; her gaze falling along the various shelves and tables lined with an incredible assortment of items. “Her favorite stories to tell were the ones of your tendency to take advantage of your customers by charging outlandish prices,” she picked up a small carved figurine, looking it over idly before setting it back down upon the shelf and turning to face Rinnosuke once more.

“Mm, I apologize, that was a rather poor joke,” though the tone of her voice may have made it difficult to decipher whether that was true or not. “But it is true that Miss Hakurei can be quite talkative under the right circumstances.”

She lapsed into momentary silence as she strolled down one of the rows of shelves, glancing politely at each item and even stopping to examine a few of the books that were nestled among the clutter. Once she reached the end, she turned the corner and walked up the next pathway, repeating her casual survey of the various odds and ends.

After reaching the end of the small lane, she walked back to the counter, using her parasol like a cane – though without relying on it for support. “I am looking for something in particular, but first I have something for you.” Yuka hung the her parasol from the crook of her arm before reached into one of the pockets of her vest and producing a small brown bag, tied with a crimson string. “A gift - in celebration of our first meeting,” she held the bag out to him with both hands, bowing her head lightly as she did. “I am Yuka Kazami; it is a pleasure to meet you.”

It was at that moment that the mist began to permeate into the shop. Yuka’s head lifted as she stood up a little straighter, still presenting the gift as she watched the familiar shape of the boisterous oni come into being… and then promptly disappear from sight around a corner after her short greeting. “My my, it seems another visitor has arrived.”
Yuuka Kazami
Free Character

Postby Rinnosuke Morichika » 03 Sep 2010 22:36

“I can assure you, the pleasure is all mine, Miss.” He was pleased to note that it was an honest statement to make, for once. He did, however, go tight-lipped at her next comment, cursing Reimu for her selfish nature and planning some type of punishment for her. Perhaps next time she needed a favor, a certain shop’s doors would not be open.

The relief at Yuka admitting to her jest was near palpable. Rinnosuke’s features softened, but not entirely. He was still made incredibly nervous by the notion of Reimu talking; she was not known for her kindness, and the selfish miko often complained about Kourindou to Rinnosuke’s face. It wasn’t too far-fetched to assume that she would do so to others as well.

“I have noticed the same,” He replied, closing his eyes and doing his best not to interrupt Yuka during her browsing. “She is a very opinionated young woman. Though that’s not always a bad thing, I suppose.” It was when she demanded the best tea in the shop, but that was something that Rinnosuke had long since been defeated over. There was no way he could beat Reimu’s intuition.

When she started to explain her situation a bit better, Rinnosuke easily let his irritation with Reimu dissolve away in order to help his customers properly. His brows arched up from behind his glasses frames, and he began to run through what the woman could possibly be interested in. Unfortunately for him, he knew far too little about Yuka to make any logical guesses. She was too unreadable. When the bag was proffered, his hands reached out carefully, accepting the small bag with as much courtesy as he had in him.

This was shocking. He wasn’t really sure how to handle this situation. Was he supposed to open it now, or wait? This was an awkward situation to be in for someone like Rinnosuke, who was so far from normal conventions that the unspoken rules for gift-giving were entirely out of his grasp.

“Thank you--” His words sounded almost short of breath, and it was clear that he was shocked and bewildered by her kindness. “My name is Rinnosuke Morichika, the owner of this shop. And I really can say, Miss Kazami, that the pleasure is entirely mine.”

It was almost on cue that Suika would interrupt their meeting, and Rinnosuke’s mild irritation showed subtly on his face, the lines at the corners of his mouth deepening only a bit at her arrival. Suika, clearly being an oni, would be a liability to his goods. And, if she was anything like he was told, her habit of being constantly drunk made her all the more dangerous.

“Welcome!” He called after her retreating figure, his eyes following approximately where she would be in the store with a nervous expression.
Rinnosuke Morichika
Alternate Character

Postby Suika Ibuki » 08 Sep 2010 07:24

Suika took her time walking from one spot to another, taking in all the different looking items and artifacts within the store. Of course, for the sake of the shopkeeper who was probably keeping a close watch on the little oni, she made sure only to look, not touch. As her eyes scanned multiple areas of the shop, Suika's expression grew into that of obvious disinterest. "Nope...Uh uh...No...No..." Suika sighed. Nothing she saw looked to be anything that would interest her. However, considering that she had little to no idea of what half of the things in the shop did, this was probably no surprise.

Having decided that looking on her own would not provide any results, Suika's attention abruptly turned towards Rinnosuke. Stumbling her way over to the counter, the little oni's eyes would find themselves meeting with the umbrella-wielding demon known as Yuka. While not having met and conversed with her directly, Suika had heard things about this certain youkai, some good, some not so good, yet all somewhat interesting.

"Well this is new. A 'youkai-like' youkai and a 'not-so-youkai' youkai together in one setting," Suika chuckled, stumbling on towards the two, "Though I guess a weird shop with a bunch of weird things is bound to have weird meetings as well." Stopping at the counter, Suika threw up her hand at Rinnosuke with her usual drunken grin. "Yo, shopkeep! No need to be so worried. If I was here to cause any trouble, the shop would most likely be a pile of rubble by now. I'm just here lookin' for something interesting to occupy my time." What exactly that 'something' was was anyone's guess.
Suika Ibuki
Alternate Character

Postby Yuuka Kazami » 09 Sep 2010 12:58

“I am sure it is, Mr. Morichika.” Yuka’s smile grew as she spoke, giving the appearance of warmth and serenity, though such emotions never quite touched the youkai’s red eyes. Though Suika’s arrival was a surprise, Yuka was undaunted by it, and the oni’s subsequent disappearance into the store offered a perfect opportunity for her to continue speaking with Rinnosuke.

“This spring a most peculiar thing happened,” she clasped her hands in front of her, holding the handle of her parasol. “I stumbled upon a bloom I have only seen once before. It is a flower from the world outside of Gensokyo, and one that is rarely found in Japan.”

“It was quite the pleasure to see it again, but the heat of the summer brought it to wilt much sooner then I expected. I gathered a portion of the seeds it left behind.” She politely gestured to the bag Rinnosuke was holding. “Consolida ajacis, commonly known as Larkspur. In the language of flowers, it means levity… among other things.” There was a subtle change in the tone of her voice at the end, as though some quiet joke passed by, unshared. “It should be planted early in the spring where it may bask easily in the sun. I hope that you may find a use for the seeds, whether for pleasure or profit.”

It was at that time that Suika came back into view from the depths of the shop. Yuka turned towards her and gave the small oni a polite bow in greeting. “It seems only fitting for an “oni-like” oni to join our strange meeting. Perhaps it is a sign of much stranger things to come.” She chuckled lightly before turning back to the shopkeeper, tilting her head curiously. “What sort of item would you recommend for a restless oni, Mr. Morichika?”
Yuuka Kazami
Free Character

Postby Rinnosuke Morichika » 21 Sep 2010 02:16

He was doing his best, really he was. Even so, keeping his attention split between the woman before him and the ticking time-bomb in his shop was proving far more daunting than Rinnosuke would have originally thought. Yuka’s story proved to attract his attention, though he kept a weary focus on Suika through the corner of his eye. It would be rude to downright ignore a customer, and that went doubly so when one was talking to you. Rinnosuke kept his gaze on Yuka, though any deeper meanings to her story were lost on his preoccupied mind.

That was, of course, until the word ‘rare’ filtered though in his brain. Then, he found Suika far less of a threat than he did originally. Quite abruptly, his attention focused entirely on the green-haired woman in front of him. He realized just what her words meant, tightening his grip around the bag as his free hand came to support the seedlings from below. While the flower might be rare, there was not much of a market for flowers; it would prove fruitless to try to sell them. Rinnosuke smiled warmly at her, though his mind was calculating a plan. He had an idea!

“Well, behind the shop there are some cherry trees,” They were always brightly in bloom in the spring, and Rinnosuke enjoyed viewing them from the comfort of his shop. “The soil seems able to support plant life; it will be a nice home for them.” While it might look as though Rinnosuke was planning on planting the seeds for his own pleasure, he had a rather more practical reasoning. “When the spring has passed and the seeds have bloomed, I should like to invite you back to view them. I am sure they will grow quite lovely.”

It was true that he had absolutely no idea what a larkspur was, let alone what they looked like. But these seeds were a perfect hook to keep Yuka frequenting his shop. Even if she came for viewing the plants; she would need to cross through the shop front, and then, if by some stroke of luck, she found something she liked… Well, Rinnosuke had every intention of turning this lady-like lady into a regular customer, if he could manage it.

When Suika returned with her comments, he could not help but be displeased. Rinnosuke was no youkai; he was a Halfling. This fact kept him rather alienated by both humans and youkai. It was a detail that had haunted him his entire life, and yet over the years he had come to take a strange comfort in his lack of continuity with society. As if adding insult to injury, the oni continued on, insulting his shop and his wares, and causing Rinnosuke quite some discomfort and offense at her words. Still, she was here as a customer, so he did his best to mask his displeasure and put on a salesman’s smile.

It was only to be expected, after all, Suika was one of those people that Marisa introduced to the shop in the first place. He shouldn’t have expected much.

“We should hope not too strange,” He commented off hand while tucking the seeds safely behind his counter and out of view of any customers, “Else the shrine maiden might just get herself involved.”

“Restless, hmm.” He rubbed at his chin thoughtfully as his mind ran over any possible entertainment he could have for someone as rash and brutish as an oni. Most outside world items were rather delicate, after all. “Well, what kind of mood are you in?”
Rinnosuke Morichika
Alternate Character

Postby Suika Ibuki » 28 Sep 2010 08:45

While she probably would not have openly admit to it, Suika was indeed feeling a bit restless. She was in a shop that had artifacts of little interest to her while being watched like a criminal by the shopkeeper. Not to mention that there was Yuka, a youkai rumored to be super strong, standing right next to her. When oni were bored, they either drank or fought, and the little battle maniac inside of her was screaming to do the latter. However, that was not what she was here for! She had a reason for coming to this shop, and that was...

....What was the reason again?

Suika thought for a bit after Rinnosuke inquired about her mood. The shop lived up to it's name considering that Suika had only come on pure curiosity. But "curious" wasn't a very good answer, now was it? She was sure that near half of Rinnosuke's customers felt that way half the time. Resting her head and hands on the counter, the pandemonic oni continued to ponder, tilting her head from side to side. Truly, Suika was a restless little oni.

Finally, after much strained thought, the answer would come Suika. "A game!" she exclaimed suddenly, lifting off the counter, "A new, fun and interesting game befitting of an oni!". Sure it was a vague answer, but Suika knew little of the outside world as it was. Might as well let someone with the knowledge and possible know how do the work in finding what she wanted, right?
Suika Ibuki
Alternate Character

Postby Yuuka Kazami » 06 Oct 2010 20:58

“That sounds like a good location for the seeds; they will have company for the growing season. It would be lovely to visit and see how they are doing,” Her red eyes remained fixed on Rinnosuke’s for a moment – almost oppressively so. “I would hate for them to be a victim to carelessness, it’s always so disappointing… But! I am quite sure you are up to the task of caring for them properly, you strike me as a reliable gentleman.” As quickly as the menace had begun to sink into her voice, it was gone and replaced with a light and airy quality. “That is if certain restless onis and bored shrine maidens don’t keep you from your duties.”

With that, her attention turned back to Suika and the conversation shifted into what might bring some entertainment for the bored and curious oni.

“Games? Oh! I have heard of a few games that the humans of the outside world seem quite enamored with.” Resting her parasol against the counter, she made the shape of a square with her fingers. “It is played on a board, shaped like a square and the board is divided into smaller squares in a black and white checkered pattern. The players take opposing sides, either black or white, and use a variety of different shaped pieces to play the game.” As Yuka spoke, she mimicked the act of moving pieces over an invisible board. “It is a representation of war, if I do remember correctly – and considered an intellectual’s game of strategy.” She paused, placing a finger to her chin thoughtfully. “Mmm… on second thought I don’t think Chess would be a likely candidate of a game for a restless oni, lest the board be thrown away in impatience.”

Yuka chuckled lightly, brushing some of her green hair from her face and clasping her hands over the handle of her parasol once more. “Somehow I think a game with physical activity might be a better fit for Miss Ibuki.”
Yuuka Kazami
Free Character

Postby Rinnosuke Morichika » 18 Oct 2010 02:31

“Befitting of an oni?” His voice betrayed his bewilderment, even as hard as he was trying to keep his cool as a shopkeeper. The outside world was a delicate place, and the people that lived there were typically much weaker than those from Gensokyo. Hardly any of the tools there could stand up to Marisa, let alone what kind of damage that an Oni could bring to it.

He would need to find something that could be done outside; far, far away from Kourindou.

His hands ran over the smooth wood of his counter as his mind ran through all the possible items. There was the ‘bicycle‘, but that had moving parts, which seemed far too delicate for Suika to maneuver even a meter without breaking. There was perhaps the magnifying glass, but that didn’t seem like it could hold her attention for long. Whatever he was going to offer needed to be simple, yet sturdy; items like that were a dime a dozen in Gensokyo. Which meant that he would need to find something common here…But with some kind of gimmick. Then, the Oni would easily understand without lengthy explanations, but because it was from the outside world, it could still be foreign.

Mentally, he ran through his inventory. There had to be something.

Thankfully, Yuka’s description had jarred his memory, causing Rinnosuke instantly to know the solution. He moved himself deftly from the counter, making his way through the shop with a grace that only one well-trained at rummaging through junk could manage. It was towards the front, he remembered. Glistening with only a few dirt stains here and there, sitting in the front corner of the shop was a round ball, with white stitching and patches of black and white decorating its surface. He pulled it free, holding it up for Suika and Yuka to see, before smiling broadly at his shop’s endless list of goods.

“This is called a ‘Soccer Ball.’" His explanation was slow, with heavy emphasis. “It’s used for recreation in the outside world, however, there are simple yet specific rules that must be adhered to when playing with it. It’s a game played with many people, and in the outside world, they even have tournaments to show who are the best at playing it.”

With his free arm, he gestured towards the door to the shop, hoping that Suika would follow suit and exit as soon as possible.

“I can teach you, if you would like.”
Rinnosuke Morichika
Alternate Character

Postby Suika Ibuki » 25 Oct 2010 03:55

As much as Suika did not want to admit it, the game of strategic board game that Yuka had been going about explaining didn't sound of any interest to the little oni. After all, Suika was the type of person to be fighting in the wars, not directing them. Still, Suika couldn't shake off the odd feeling that Yuka had indirectly called her unintelligent and impatient. Whether or not such claims were true was another thing altogether.

Turning her attention from Yuka back to the shopkeeper, who was now easily shifting over to another area of the shop. "Oh? You actually found something?" Suika said with a bit of interest. Even the deva knew how farfetched her request was, especially when asking such a thing from an antique shop. Still, if it was something that would cure the oni's boredom for even a moment, it was worth looking at.

Following Rinnosuke with her eyes, Suika stared at the round object within the shopkeepers hand with a blank stare. While her first impression of the item wasn't all that much, the thought of using the round object in competitions peaked at Suika's interest. Seeing as she still didn't know how it was supposed to be used, Suika didn't waste anytime in accepting Rinnosuke's offer. "Alright! I'm up for it!" she said with a broad toothed grin, following the direction of Rinnosuke's finger.

Making her way out of the shop, Suika turned back around. "So, what is it that you're gonna show me?"
Suika Ibuki
Alternate Character

Return to Archive