[Invite Only] Even Machines May Rest

Archive for threads set in the Forest of Magic.
Forum rules
To reopen archived threads, contact a forum moderator.

[Invite Only] Even Machines May Rest

Postby Tewi Inaba » 24 Jul 2010 04:19

It wasn't meant to be this way, really.

Okay, so Tewi didn't immediately return Mr. Bunbuns to his owner when she found him in the courtyard, all inactive in his standby mode. Furthermore, she instead decided to lead Reisen on a pointless search for her mechanical pet. But, was it really her fault--

Alright, so it was her fault.

On hindsight, she would admit that carrying the robot with her as the rabbits traveled through the skies of Gensokyo wasn't exactly the best plan ever. Still, how was she supposed to expect that Mr. Bunbuns would be knocked out of her person, fall to the ground below and disappear, right on their very first fight?

It was quite a surprise when she discovered that he was actually missing. Well, Tewi had no choice but to continue the charade with Reisen before starting an actual search of her own. However, Gensokyo was just too wide to look for one rabbit-sized robot without asking anyone around*, so she was eventually forced to give up on him.

And so, for months, Mr. Bunbuns was lost and left alone, somewhere...

---

*She doesn't want the actual story of Mr. Bunbuns to get spread around, after all.
Tewi Inaba
Alternate Character

Re: [Invite Only] Even Machines May Rest

Postby Rikako Asakura » 24 Jul 2010 04:31

Indeed it had been many months. Many unkind months to the wandering machine, trying to find its way home. Bunbun's wanderings had led him through the forst... and through and through and through. Leading the lost pet in constant circles to be harrassed, beaten and battered by the elements, wildlife and fairies until the body could no longer move itself.

Three days later....

There was an almost familiar clicking of machinery propelling itself forward on thin metal legs, one of the many robot spider drones that were patrolling the forest, in search of interesting materials had stumbled upon the still form of what was once an adorable looking robo rabbit, now looked like a half skinned and mangled scrap toy. The drone began a customary examination of the strange object, detecting traces of electricity and metal. Slowly advancing, the drone reaches out one of its front legs to lightly push Bunbun.

In an almost reflexive action, a bit of flame was spat out, almost pitifully. It was as though it sould've long lost the ability to do that. The drone, however, only noticed the spike in temperature as it touched it and it wasn't the most durable thing. Letting out a series of beeps, the drone called for backup from something larger. Soon one of the drone hunters had answered the call and it to looked at the rabbit. The two drones rapidly making sounds that can be compared to a pair of 56k modems accessing the internet between each other, the big one reached out and picked up the broken rabbit. Another shot of flame was promptly ignored as the wo drones began to head back home with thier prize.
Rikako Asakura
Free Character

Postby Tewi Inaba » 28 Jul 2010 08:26

The earth rabbit did give up on the search, but her habit of aimless wandering was still as persistent as ever.

As such, it wasn't really that strange for Tewi to finally - and, in a way, accidentally - come across Mr. Bunbuns during one of her pointless stroll, which just happened to take place in this very forest.

She was just about to consider some other location to visit and explore, too, when her ears caught some strange sounds from the distance. The loud cracks and beepings was enough to pique her curiosity, and Tewi was already darting toward its direction on the next second.

That can't be the sound of any animals or insects, she thought, and plants are just impossible. A weird youkai, maybe...?

---

"...Huh. Well, sure don't see too many of those," she muttered to herself.

In the end, all of Tewi's guesses were off, and she could only scratch her head in bewilderment while observing the marching drones quietly from behind the relative safety of a tree. These robots were far too conspicuous to be made by a kappa, but she couldn't really name any other suspect - or suspects - who might be responsible for their creation.

The mystery surrounding the drones only served to fuel her surprise when she noticed that unmistakable patches of fur and steel in what appeared to be their hands. She rubbed her eyes and tried to find a better angle to look at him, but that only assured her further that that small rabbit robot couldn't be anyone or anything else but Mr. Bunbuns.

What Tewi felt right then was pretty close to panic, and in her mind, a barrage of questions appeared in rapid succession.

Who these drones were working for and what they were planning to do with Mr. Bunbuns were her main inquiries, but she was also thinking of running away and/or asking for help from someone - anyone.

She shook her head. No, no, she must see this on her own, and these chunks of iron might disappear if she left them for a minute. Besides, who would be willing to help her get out of the trouble that was mostly inflicted by herself?

With a gulp, Tewi tiptoed out of the tree and began stalking the robots, using the surrounding growth as cover. She'd just have to see to whom they were leading her to...
Tewi Inaba
Alternate Character

Postby Rikako Asakura » 06 Aug 2010 17:37

The drones either did not ever notice the rabbit stalking them, or they were ignoring her. It wasn't normal for random animals, youkai or youkai animals to get curious about giant metal spiders. So they didn't register something observing them, or didn't act. As long as Tewi didn't actually get in thier way, could've stood right behind them in plain sight.

The drones soon lead the rabbits of earths fearless (psh) leader towards a house on the end of the forest. A huge, domed metal structure with another domed building attatched and also higher up. Surrounding this large building in a large circle were oddly shaped fence posts, each one surrounded with 3 rings and topped with a shining silver coloured orb, essentially mini tesla coils. Tewi's rabbit ears likely were easilly able to pick up and given the company she kept, recognise the buzzing of electrcity running through these coils.

Why did the drones lead her here? Simple, they lived here and they marched towards and then past the fence without anything happening. A door slide open in the side of the metal building and the larger drone carried the lunarian artifact inside while the smaller one scuttled back towards a fence post and latched onto it. Naturally it began to crackle loudly with electricity as it started to shock the drone, to no avail.

The drone soon detatched on its own, having been recharged ad returned to its duties. To the observant rabbit, they would notice sign posts near the fence each one displaying the same message.

Sign Post wrote:WARNING: Automated defences in use, stepping beyond the fence unless on the marked path will result in immediate offensive action.
Rikako Asakura
Free Character

Postby Tewi Inaba » 08 Aug 2010 03:01

"Who the hell lives in this place..."

Tewi muttered under her breath as she peeked at the strange structure through the trees. It was pretty obvious that she had no choice but to enter that ominous building, since the robots were doing exactly that, but...

The whole place was pretty unsettling. The weird shape of the building, the fence surrounding it, and those devices - she didn't know how they exactly work, of course, but the distracting buzzes emanating from them told her much about their electrical nature.

"Geh, so annoying," the earth rabbit rubbed her ears in vain, trying to ease the tickling caused by the sound. "How many kinds of creature can create such a-- Whoa...!"

Tewi jumped in place as one of the drones got fried loudly and thoroughly by the gate. Well, if she wasn't completely sure that she was dealing with machines before then, this surprising development should be enough to dispel all her lingering doubts. After all, any living creature would get burnt to crisp if it was electrocuted silly like that, but the drone was still able to function well even after receiving such a punishment, as proved by its nonchalant walk back to the building.

She closed her gaping mouth. Was that... Was that an attempt to show off? To show off the fence's power? To show off the drones' endurance? Did they even know that she was here? She was pretty well hidden, wasn't she...?

No use and no time to speculate, she thought. Steeling herself, she sneaked over to the fences once she was sure that the drones were out of sight, and -

Sign Post wrote:WARNING: Automated defences in use, stepping beyond the fence unless on the marked path will result in immediate offensive action.

Tewi gave a long sigh. "Could these things ever be easy...?"

While there was a chance of the signs being there just to provide an empty deterrence, Tewi wasn't going to risk getting dog-piled by hundreds of shockproof robots, so there was really no other choice. Yet, if she was the one living in that building, she'd make sure to put surveillance around this 'marked path'. Would anyone stay quiet and do nothing when a strange rabbit youkai with dubious intention suddenly wandered into your front yard?

"This goes against all good sense, but whatever~" Tewi giggled as she headed for the deliberate gaps between the fences - might as well face all this with good cheer. Sure enough, there was a dirt path cutting through the green of the building's lawn, curving around to meet the structure.

...It was marked enough for her. Slowly, she stepped onto the path and carefully walked along, looking left and right as she moved onward just in case some other mechanical oddity popped up to try to kill her (or anything worse than that)...
Tewi Inaba
Alternate Character

Postby Rikako Asakura » 12 Aug 2010 07:36

When Tewi approached the door of the building, something suprising had happened. It simply slid open and a voice called out. "I know you're there so you may as well come in." Yep, the occupant knew she was there.

Inside the domed building, the rabbit would find likely the most unique living space in Gensokyo, resembling a modern outsider house as opposed to traditional Gensokyan dwellings. Due to her lunarian comrades and visits to Kourindou, she was also likely to be familiar with some, if not all of the strange pieces of furnature.

Also detectable to her eyes and ears would be the large drone she followed, walking out of the room through another door which slid open and closed once it had left. Sat at the small table and looking right at Tewi was... A purple haired, bespectacled woman wearing a lab coat and sipping tea.

"Another strange day it seems. My drones report finding something very unusual... But very damaged in the forest and brings it back to me. It's clear just by looking that it's a mechanical rabbit. Within minutes I find a youkai rabbit sneaking around outside my door. An unlikely coincidence. I suppose you were looking for this, then?" She gestured to the table she was sat at, there, lying still, was Bunbun.
Rikako Asakura
Free Character

Postby Tewi Inaba » 13 Aug 2010 14:41

It seemed that the rabbit's fears were unfounded, after all. She couldn't detect any strange signs or movements as she walked along the path, much less hidden traps or snares in her way. Well, it won't hurt to stay extra cautious, Tewi thought to herself, even as she calculated her moves to not appear in that way to any invisible observers. A relaxed gait, a few gradual glances to the surroundings...

At any rate, she managed to reach the building's entrance without any incidents.

"...!"

Tewi tensed up as the door opened by itself and a voice without a face curtly suggested her to come inside. Yes, now is a good time to run all the way back to the Bamboo Forest while screaming on top of her lungs and--

No. It was all very suspicious, of course, but scampering away in fear would not get her any closer to Mr. Bunbuns.

"...It's too late to escape, anyway," having gathered her wits back together, she lifted her shoulders and entered the lowest dome that made up the house's structure with (apparently) no hesitation.

The interior was just as alien to her as the outside. All these modern furnitures and whatnot... It would be a lie if she said that she had never seen quite a few of them in all her life before, but you couldn't really get familiar with these items when all you had was a few curious looks at Eientei's storehouse and, on rarer occasions, Kourindou's stalls.

Still, to see them actually being in use instead of sitting around, collecting dust... Everything seemed to be smooth and shiny, for the lack of a better term. Maybe she should take a closer look at them, once she finished in rescuing Mr. Bunbuns.

And, there she was, the (presumably) owner of this house.

Tewi quickly noted her human identity and surmised that she's most likely someone from the outside world. That would explain the extent of the 'modernity' of this place, although she still wondered how the woman could bring so much stuffs with her through the barrier.

"Ahaha, yeah, I am," Tewi laughed sheepishly as she followed the woman's gesture with her eyes and came to notice the battered mechanical rabbit. There was a subtle hint of remorse on her face, but it was quickly repainted with a sense of artificial friendliness as she turned her attention to the bespectacled woman.

"Look, I'm really sorry for taking your, um, drones' catch for the day," she even took the trouble to take a small bow. "But, the little guy over there is really, really important, so I'm going to take him back."

She continued to look at the woman even after she finished stating her intention. She would listen to her, wouldn't she...?
Tewi Inaba
Alternate Character

Postby Rikako Asakura » 15 Aug 2010 19:01

As she sipped her tea, the scientist was looking carefully at the rabbit's body language, she was hiding something, her face told her this. If she was responsible for this rabbits wellbeing, then she may be trying to hide the regret she feels.

Tewi's request, blunt, completely expected. She simply wanted to just take it back without looking at any of the possible flaws in her plan. Rikako sighed and set her mug down. "I'm afraid that's out of the question. A quick analysis of this automaton has shown it's programmed with an intelligence, one that makes it very much a living thing in behaviour." A drone crawled along the table and stood by Bunbun, simply staring at it.

"If you simply took it home now, no matter how fast you ran or flew. You'd only have a corpse in your arms by the time you get there." The drone 'bit' the rabbit and stayed latched on, it was feeding electricity to it. "The damage is extensive and its only source of energy is draining fast. If a power supply or repairs aren't made soon, the data will be destroyed and this rabbits intelligence will be erased." She leaned forward to look better at the earth rabbits fearless (pfft) leader. "Unless of course the only thing that matters is the body."
Rikako Asakura
Free Character

Postby Tewi Inaba » 04 Sep 2010 08:24

Tewi scratched her head as she listened to Rikako, eyes fixed at the closest drone in order to distract herself from the human's careful observation.

Rikako Asakura wrote:"I'm afraid that's out of the question. A quick analysis of this automaton has shown it's programmed with an intelligence, one that makes it very much a living thing in behaviour."

What...? What does that have anything to do with anything?

"...Well, yeah, I guess he is pretty clever," Tewi began to protest. "But--"

Tewi gave a slight flinch as the drone suddenly bit down on Mr. Bunbuns' neck - if he was a real rabbit, that would have caused him quite a lot of pain. "W-wha..." The surprise caused her to stutter a little, but she immediately closed her mouth and calmed herself down.

No, she won't harm Mr. Buns, the earth rabbit thought. So far, she has been helpful, so she won't harm Mr. Buns. Don't do anything stupid, now...

"Um, it is supposed to do that, right...?" In the end, she opted to merely continue to look at the drone, albeit with scrunched eyebrows.

Rikako Asakura wrote:"If you simply took it home now, no matter how fast you ran or flew. You'd only have a corpse in your arms by the time you get there. The damage is extensive and its only source of energy is draining fast. If a power supply or repairs aren't made soon, the data will be destroyed and this rabbits intelligence will be erased."

"Whoa," Tewi snapped her head back toward Rikako. "That... that's really bad, isn't it? I really need him to be working as usual... Can't we do anything about this?"
Tewi Inaba
Alternate Character

Postby Rikako Asakura » 05 Sep 2010 02:45

Noticing the rabbits increased nervousness at her drones behaviour, she leaned back. "Yes it was supposed to do that. That drone is feeding electricity to this rabbit, much like an IV, something you may or may not be familiar with." It's a well known fact that if it has big furry ears, it's likely a rabbit and works at Eientei, so medical instruments should be quite well known.

It seemed it was in her best interest to keep this thing alive, so she asked the same question the scientist had asked herself. "This is where it gets complicated. This machinery is something I've never seen on earth before that wasn't made by mine or Rika's hands. All I've been able to manage to do with my tools and resources is prolong its lifespan. I lack the knowledge and parts needed to try and repair it."

The rabbit was quickly getting flustered and time was short for something clearly important, pride could wait.
Rikako Asakura
Free Character

Postby Tewi Inaba » 10 Sep 2010 10:14

"H-huh... Alright, then," Tewi gave the 'IV drone' a last uneasy look before turning back toward the human.

Rikako Asakura wrote:"This is where it gets complicated. This machinery is something I've never seen on earth before that wasn't made by mine or Rika's hands. All I've been able to manage to do with my tools and resources is prolong its lifespan. I lack the knowledge and parts needed to try and repair it."

It definitely sounded bad, but if she gave up now, Mr. Bunbuns might never get fixed...! This human would definitely know more about fixing strange robots than she did, so it might be good to tell her more...

"Well, um, you didn't hear this from me," the rabbit fidgeted a bit as she took a few short glances behind her and around the room, wanting to make sure that no one else was listening in to this conversation. "But, this robot over here is a piece of lunarian technology. I've, uh, looked for a manual or schematics for him, but there was really nothing..."

Just to mess around with Reisen, Tewi did try to find a safe and reversible way to tamper with Mr. Bunbuns; however, she wasn't able to find anything, even after a thorough, covert raid on the moon rabbit's room.

It was still lots of fun, though. She actually had quite a number of interesting stuffs, like that annoyingly difficult book she bought from Kourindou...

"...Hey, wait, wait a minute," Tewi quickly held up her hands as an idea appeared in her mind. "Even if we don't know how the machine really works, as long as we replace the broken parts with new ones, it should be fine, right...?"

A small grin appeared on Tewi's face. "You said that you don't have the parts necessary, but I know this place. They have all sorts of weird stuffs over there..."
Tewi Inaba
Alternate Character

Postby Rikako Asakura » 11 Sep 2010 11:35

So... This technology truly was alien, it came from the moon? Very interesting indeed. The only sounds after Tewi finished speaking was the buzzing of the electricity being fed into the prone rabbit bot as ikako digested this little bit of information. Just as her research had said, the lunar technology truly was incredibly advanced. Perhaps she would reconsider Reisens offer to visit Eientei sometime.

The problem isn't knowing how it works, the problem is having what's needed to do such. She was smart, she was human, she could easilly have patched this machine up with plain old earth tech. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would get the job done.

"Actually I was thinking the same thing. I was merely waiting for preperations to be complete for transferring the construct. Kourindou, a place I have visited a few times in my life. Rinnosuke's ability and profession may be just what's needed. He could identify not only the perfect substitute parts, he may well be able to supply them."

At this point, a trio of drones walked in, attatched to what looked like a trampoline. Fixed to a point on thier abdomens, the drones could tun without disturbing thier makeshift stretcher. "These three will be able to carry it without risking any dislodging."

As the drones approached, she set down her empty cup and carefully lifted the drone and robo-rabbit onto the stretcher like attatchment. Making sure it was secure, she headed towards the door and reached up her hands, catching the rifle that was lowered into her grip. "We'll have to walk, thankfully it isn't far."

With that, she waited for her drones and guest to follow before closing the door and leading the way to Kourindou.
Rikako Asakura
Free Character

Postby Tewi Inaba » 22 Sep 2010 15:25

"Ah, so you do know about that shop," Tewi smiled, glad to know that the human was in the same line of thought with her. "Yeah, the shopkeep would be the best person to go to for this kind of stuffs. Good call, good call~!"

The rabbit hopped along behind the drones carrying Mr. Bunbuns, still very much filled with an equal amount of curiosity toward the unknown automata and hopeful expectation for the one she actually knew. As if struck with sudden remembrance, however, she stopped abruptly just as she walked out of the door in order to twirl around, facing Rikako and bowing lightly to her.

"Thanks a lot for helping me out, here, Miss," she said. "Not many people would help out a rabbit for nothing like this, you know."

"...Maybe I should've said this at the beginning," she scratched the back of her head, grinning sheepishly, "but my name's Tewi, just for the sake of reference. Real pleased to meet you~"

"Well, let's get going to Kourindou, then!" She cheerfully declared, hopping back to follow the drones again.

---

As usual, Kourindou seemed to be all calm and quiet. The shopkeeper might prefer otherwise, but one could really relax in such an atmosphere.

With a nod toward Rikako, Tewi quickly dashed toward the front door of the shop. Such urgency might not actually be necessary, but as Rinnosuke and his wares were to be Mr. Bunbuns' only hope, the rabbit couldn't help but to get immersed in the mood.

"'Scuse me," she poked her head through the threshold, looking left and right. "Is the shop open~?"
Tewi Inaba
Alternate Character

Postby Rinnosuke Morichika » 29 Sep 2010 22:22

The sun was still up, shining its bright summer light into the shop and making Kourindou look so much darker in comparison. Bits of dust danced playfully in the sunbeams that shone in through the window, and the shop had a sleepy, musky feeling to it. Rinnosuke himself was seated in the shop front, rump planted against the worn wooden floors as he rummaged through a large, ornate chest that had clearly been around for a good, long time.

Laying about him were various decorative knickknacks, some silver utensils, and a mess of discarded handkerchiefs that he had thrown messily to the side. He could have sworn that this stack of drawers had contained the small ‘perpetual motion device’ trinket. Yet he had nearly cleaned the entire chest out with no such results.

Still, he pressed on. At least until he heard the jingling of his door opening. His head turned, arching to look at the small rabbit who had curiously poked her head inside. He watched her, then looked to his mess, and pulled himself up as dignified as he could. “Yes, we are. Welcome. Is there anything in specific that you were looking for?”
Rinnosuke Morichika
Alternate Character

Postby Rikako Asakura » 05 Oct 2010 18:22

As she suspected. The earth rabbit revealed her name as Rikako had slung her rifle over her shoulder. The same rabbit she hears her fellow humans try to seek due to her luck giving powers, what a waste of time, anyone with a brain in thier head would realise that any luck they would be granted would've already been used up to actually find her and get out the forest alive. Everyone else just starves to death or becomes a meal, idiots.

"Rikako Asakura." Was her only verbal response as they headed off towards thier destination. While it may seem she had nothing to gain, the truth was she did have something to gain from all this. This rabbit was not only the leader of her species but was one of the prominent figures in the lunarian hideout. Keeping on the good side only made access easier in the future.

When Tewi had dashed in and likely caught Rinnosuke's attention, Rikako took the liberty of replying to the question he asked. "Specifically we're looking for you as we need use of your skills." To explain the point, the three drone stretcher carrying the damaged rabbit-bot soon entered the shop.
Rikako Asakura
Free Character

Next

Return to Archive