[Invite Only] One way ticket to Kwangtung

Locations: Village School, Hieda House

[Invite Only] One way ticket to Kwangtung

Postby Toyosatomimi no Miko » 12 May 2013 18:25

( This roleplay take place outside of Gensokyo, before the Saint and her followers enter their slumber.

“-no responsibilities on my part. My academic work has come to a halt. A dead end” the Saint stops to cough violently. After she regains her composure, the Saint looks at the other side of the room with drowsy eyes. She is lying on top of several large blankets, face-down. Only her eyes and nose are visible, she only moves her mouth away from the blankets to speak. After looking carefully around the room, the Saint sits correctly. She is wearing a long dress with a golden pattern on it. “The death of my superior has no impact in my previous resolution. I have no intention of coming back until I have achieved what I came here for.” the Saint finishes.

The rays of light coming from the window and the sound of seagulls makes the Saint feel anxious for some reason. It is such a hassle just to keep her eyes open, her will and enthusiasm are long gone. Her mouth is dry, it hurts. The Crown Prince licks her lips with her sore tongue, which causes an involuntarily, less painful cough.

On the other side of the room, a person taking dictation of Saint’s words on bamboo strips completes the the message. There is no eye contact with the Saint whatsoever; half a minute pass in complete silence. “China… is such a boring country.” The Saint says, lying on her side as she closes her eyes. She quickly opens them again, “don’t write that down.” The person on the other side of the room looks at the Saint over its shoulder and says nothing. The room has been turned into something the Saint can call home; it is a little Japan in the middle of that mysterious country.

The Saint stares at her baton as she holds it in front of her face, her expression doesn’t change as she continues, “Tojiko… I miss you.” the Saint says and quickly fixes her statement. “No… not that. Tojiko, I will be back soon. This last statement is a lie.” The Saint finishes as she puts down the baton right next to her face. The Saint shivers a bit, she is soaked in sweat. Miko whispers to herself after a few seconds, “Not yet.”
Toyosatomimi no Miko
Main Character

Re: [Invite Only] One way ticket to Kwangtung

Postby Mononobe no Futo » 24 May 2013 22:07

"Mononobe no Futo has returned to see you, Crown Prince."

Announcing her own presence before the threshold, Futo then opened the door and took a bow before her liege. On her hands was a tray with a clay bowl and a cup of tea - something which should be taken care of by the servants of a lower station, if the noblewoman had not insisted to bring Miko her food on her own. She had told the attendants that they have taken with them of assassins and other sorts of malcontents that may be lurking in every corner of a land as foreign as the Middle Kingdom, all with a straight face, and when asked, with great apology and no intention to question her judgment of someone like Lady Mononobe, whether she did not trust those who have served the Crown Prince for such a long time.

"...Well, not at all. No." She said after spending no more than three seconds in deep thought.

And so, here she is, kneeling before Miko and blowing the heat off a spoonful of rice congee. "Would you like to eat? I personally think that you should, Your Highness - it will clear your blood circulation and get you back on your feet in no time," she said with a smile, swirling the beans in the soupy mixture.

"Thankfully, I could get all the ingredients. I suppose - I suppose I have to concede that they have a big marketplace, but I still think our merchants have more passion and heart in their wares!" Futo said that with a slightly exaggerated scowl. What left unsaid was how she went out on her own to prepare the dish herself, moving off from the rest of the Crown Prince's entourage, and ultimately going against her meal schedule. The Chinese market was a terrible, impregnable maze - but in the end, traversing it was just a small, unimportant thing. She would do anything for the sake of being more useful to the ill regent, and that hope had been weighing on her mind for many days and nights; so much that a pair of dark rims could constantly be seen under her eyes these days.

"Even the furthest village from Asuka would grow as large as this town." More than anything else, though, she wished that there was a way that she could recover. "Once we return and you go on to lead the people."
Mononobe no Futo
Main Character

Postby Toyosatomimi no Miko » 26 May 2013 09:14

A weak gesture is done by the Saint to her assistant as Futo enters the room. The person taking Miko’s dictation leaves the room after picking up the scroll from the small wooden table. The Saint follows the girl with her tired eyes as she moves closer.

"...Well, not at all. No."

Miko doesn’t seem to quite understand what Futo tried to communicate, but she ignored it as the smell of the food has catch her attention. It is not a pleasant one.

"Thankfully, I could get all the ingredients. I suppose - I suppose I have to concede that they have a big marketplace, but I still think our merchants have more passion and heart in their wares!"

“As reliable as always… if I had to take someone with me to travel around these strange lands, you would always be first on my list.” Miko says as she takes a look at the contents of the bowl and the cup. Miko stares with passion at the hands of Futo, which seem to hypnotize the Saint for some reason. The bowl feels slippery, her hands shake. The fate of the bowl’s contents is a mystery as she tries to place it on her lap. She wouldn’t allow help from Futo at this point, she would feel useless if that was the case.

"Even the furthest village from Asuka would grow as large as this town." More than anything else, though, she wished that there was a way that she could recover. "Once we return and you go on to lead the people."

The Saint has her mouth busy as the silver haired girl finishes her statement. Her eyes get lost on the wall to the right. Three paintings of her precious land are hanging on the wall; it has been almost two years since she left. Futo joined the expedition just recently, after Miko was forced to inform about her condition. Miko looks back at Futo after staring at the paintings for a moment. “I can’t travel anymore…” the Saint explains, “when I first arrived, I was full of hope and desire. Becoming immortal… how silly of me.” A grimace of despair appears on her face. Miko puts the bowl down with half of its contents gone.

“It tastes like wheatpaste…” she says while rubbing one of her eyelids. “and the tea is like dirty water..” The Saint stares at Futo quickly with her other eye, since she knows that her words might have been misunderstood. “… It is not your cooking. The food is fine, I just stopped being able to perceive any flavor.” She stops for a second as she starts playing with the contents of the bowl with one of the chopsticks. “No… the flavor has been replaced.”

She pushes the chopstick inside the half eaten meal.

“Not just my tongue. Everything has changed. It feels like a curse, but I don’t believe in those fairy tales.” She replies before a smile appears on her face and chuckles. “Kind of ironic… chasing a fairy tale is the reason I am here in the first place.” Miko pushes the bowl aside and drinks what is left in her cup. The Crown Prince crawls next to Futo and places her head on her lap. The eyes of the Saint remain closed, almost a perfect silence invades the room. The sound of the wind hitting against the paper thin windows feels like an unwanted visit. Not even the Saint is sure how much time has passed before she interrupts that beautiful peace.

“My blood will be spilled in this room… and my guts will decorate the floor.” The Saint slowly unseals her eyes, her gaze focus on Futo. “A bird spoke to me today.”
Toyosatomimi no Miko
Main Character

Postby Mononobe no Futo » 02 Jun 2013 23:26

“when I first arrived, I was full of hope and desire. Becoming immortal… how silly of me.”

"Crown Prince..." Futo's voice slowly trailed off, her forced cheer settling down into an uneasy smile. What should she say to someone whose life was shattered by her own efforts to achieve her ambition, when she had already placed so much on the line? Even with the wealth of experience provided by her entire life as a lady of the court, Futo was unable to find any word to refute or console the sickly girl before her. She could only watch intently as Miko started to eat her food.

“It tastes like wheatpaste… and the tea is like dirty water..”

If there was any assuring quality in Futo, it was that she was very easy to read. The change in her expression into that of absolute shock and chagrin was almost comical in its abruptness, but Miko's quick explanation about her condition immediately brought her to breathe a sigh of relief - before she became even more worried for her liege. "Your Highness, that... that symptom is probably the sign of deficiency in--" Overwhelmed by her flustered emotion, Futo tried to resort to her knowledge instead by trying to stutter out whatever she had learned about the art of feng shui and its application in medical treatment, but she quickly closed her mouth shut when Miko placed her head on her lap.

At first, the girl tensed up at such an obvious display of closeness, but she slowly gave into the quietness that had seeped into the room. Gently, Futo ran a hand through the Saint's hair as a sorrowful realization dawned on her: Miko was really no longer hoping for the smallest possibility for recovery, nor for her life.

“My blood will be spilled in this room… and my guts will decorate the floor. A bird spoke to me today.”

Futo remained silent for a few moments longer as she tried to take those words in stride... and failed miserably. "No," she said, shaking her head. "P-please don't even say those words, Crown Prince. What... whatever bird that even dared to suggest that deserves to have her nest burnt to crisp, her eggs poached, a-and, and..." The girl was trembling all over, trying to hold back her tears for spilling out. If she wasn't strong enough to rescue Miko at her weakest moment, she was hoping that she could at least have the stoicity to help her bear through it, but it seemed that even that was impossible.

"You... You cannot die," was the only thing that she could lamely say in the end. "You can't. J-Japan needs you more than ever, the people, and even... even Soga! She'll - she'll rage stupidly all over the place, and you know how she is--" Futo let out an awkward giggle amidst her shaking voice. The only thing that was left unsaid was how she herself couldn't bear to let the one she so dearly loved go in such a manner.

"Aren't - aren't you going to live forever?" Futo said, unable to move away from Miko's gaze, even when the first drop is starting to roll down her cheek. "W-why must it be now, and why does it have to be you...?"
Mononobe no Futo
Main Character

Postby Toyosatomimi no Miko » 03 Jun 2013 20:41

"No, p-please don't even say those words, Crown Prince. What... whatever bird that even dared to suggest that deserves to have her nest burnt to crisp, her eggs poached, a-and, and..."

Those words make the Saint feel uneasy, as if Futo was trying to believe something impossible. Sadness invades the Saint’s heart. She hates herself for causing so much pain, but she doesn't feel worthy of those feelings. The Saint listens carefully to Futo’s words; her desire to speak what is on her heart prevents her from interrupting. The mention of her land and Tojiko makes the Saint breath in heavily. Her collarbone and neck dripping in sweat makes the Saint feel uncomfortable in her own skin.

"W-why must it be now, and why does it have to be you...?"

The silence returns to the room, the eyes of Miko do not move. She stares at the crying girl, she find comfort in such display of beauty.

“I did this to myself. There is no need to cry for a fool like me.” The Saint says, “Hallucinating about a bird that brings a bad omen…” The Saint mutters. Miko coughs violently as supports herself on the floor to sit properly next to Futo. “Why now? You ask. My own ambition has brought me here, so far away from the land and people I love, as selfish as it sounds, I will continue to my last breath. If I come back right now, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself." the Saint looks at Futo and continues, "I am really happy that you are here... If I can share my final moments with you. It would bring me solace."

The Saint takes a small note from inside her dress and takes a look at it without reading. She smells the piece of paper, “I got one last thing to do and I need your help.” The Saint says as she moves her hand to wipe Futo’s cheeks. “There will be enough time to cry for me.” she says with a weak smile, obviously implying the worst. A moment of silence, again.

“Hubei. A person is waiting for me there.” The Saint explains as she places the note down on the floor. “We need a horse.” Her words are firm, but at the same time they are weak. Full of doubt and determination.

One last expedition.
Toyosatomimi no Miko
Main Character

Postby Mononobe no Futo » 08 Jun 2013 13:46

Futo continued to struggle with her emotions as Miko spoke to her, so much so that she could only sob quietly as she listened to what the Crown Prince had to say instead of stopping her from sitting up. Although it still broke her heart, the Saint's frankness and her kindhearted touch calmed her down somewhat.

"Y-yes," Futo stuttered out, nodding her head and bowing down to her liege. "I-I will make the preparations for travel immediately. A horse... A horse and... Do you need a carriage for yourself, Crown Prince?" To the retainer, it was as if Miko wanted to travel deeper into the foreign land with only her as a sole companion, but she quickly realized that this might only be what her flustered self had expected.

She took the note in one hand and rubbed her eyes with her other sleeve, promising to herself that it would be the last display of indignity before Miko. "I... I also apologize for that embarrassing display. I must've - I must've looked pretty silly right now..." Futo sighed. "E-even though I wanted to cheer you up, you're still the one who had to look after me and deal with my outbursts in the end. Some things... Some things can never change in the end, I suppose."

"With your permission, I shall go, then," she said after taking a deep breath and regaining her composure, bowing down to her one more time. "In the meantime... If you can, please eat your food slowly, Crown Prince. You still need some nourishment if you're going on a journey, and... and whatever will happen in the future, it's still my duty to worry about your well-being, and I'm proud to carry it out." She finally gave out an earnest if rather weak smile to Miko, shining through her misty eyes.
Mononobe no Futo
Main Character

Postby Toyosatomimi no Miko » 13 Jun 2013 04:12

"I-I will make the preparations for travel immediately. A horse... A horse and... Do you need a carriage for yourself, Crown Prince?"

Miko is surprised by Futo who snatched the note away from her; the sudden change of tone has caught her off guard as well. “N-no… the horse will be enough. An old horse would be the best, experience is better than power in unknown territory” the Saint tries to explain while staring at the note Futo is holding between her fingers. Futo’s apologize has surprised the Saint once more. She stares back at Futo with her hand slightly extended towards the girl. “Ah…”

“... and whatever will happen in the future, it's still my duty to worry about your well-being, and I'm proud to carry it out."

The mouth of the ill regent remains open the whole time, but she is unable to say a word. Miko closes her mouth eventually. She can’t find the courage to ask Futo what’s on her mind. She nods returning that smile to the girl. “That note… please, don’t open it. It would me really sad if you did.” Miko explains. A face on concern appears on Miko’s face.

Miko attempts to stand up, failing twice to do so. As she manages to get on both feet, she removes her dress, leaving only a very casual looking outfit she was wearing under it. “If you excuse me…” her voice is weak, hesitating. Miko walks to the window, and opens it as soon as she reaches it. The wind blows inside the room, it plays with the fragile body of the Saint. She sits by the border of the window and removes her earmuffs.

The ocean can be heard from there. A magnificent orange colored sky, like a watercolor painting. Miko stays silent for a moment.

“Tomorrow. We leave tomorrow before the sunrise.” The Saint says without looking at Futo.
Toyosatomimi no Miko
Main Character

Postby Mononobe no Futo » 22 Jun 2013 13:51

The retainer lowered her body for the last time before quietly sliding the door shut behind her. The Crown Prince needed her rest, and she had disturbed her for long enough. Now out of Miko's sight, Futo clasped the note tighter in her hands as her mind continued to go back to the figure by the window, illuminated by the afternoon sun - so frail and sorrowful, but still as gallant as she had always known her.

Futo clenched her teeth before running through the hallways, shouting once she was far enough. "A horse! A horse for the Crown Prince, a horse!"

The sky was dark, but even with its lights still burning bright, the town was still preparing itself to wake up. There was scarcely any sound through the streets and around the houses, and the building where the Japanese expedition was lodged in was not excluded from the all-encompassing quiet. The most striking sight under the torch's glow was a white horse, tied to the post by the gates, waiting calmly for its passengers.

Futo had obtained the old steed after scouring the city, making sure that she chose only the one with the best temperament in town. In the short time that she had, she tried to find out as many things as she could about their destination as well - and as she walked back to Miko's room, she tried to remember everything that she had heard about the province from the word of mouth.

"Ah. Mmm, Crown Prince... Are... Are you awake?" She realized that she was finally in front of the sliding doors again, and as she opened the door, she tried to quietly call to her. "Can you get up...?"
Mononobe no Futo
Main Character

Postby Toyosatomimi no Miko » 27 Jun 2013 08:40

"Ah. Mmm, Crown Prince... Are... Are you awake? Can you get up...?"

A loud bang is heard across the street, the sound repeats again just a moment later. Miko, who has been standing next to the door startles Futo by grabbing her hand and pulling her inside; she releases her and focuses her attention to the door. A very serious Miko looks outside her own room into the poorly lit corridor. “We don’t have much longer.” The ill girl claims. The Saint grabs Futo’s hand once more and brings her to the window. She kneels right next to the window frame, pulling Futo down with her.

The Saint remains silent and puts her hand on Futo's shoulder, probably a request to remain silent. It takes a few seconds before the same sound from before is heard again. The horse that Futo has brought with her seems to be scared of something, as it has started to neigh and hit the soil with its hooves. The landlord is having a discussion with a group of people, who are trying to force their way into the building. Even if the conversation is not clear for Futo, Miko is able to understand every single word thanks to her gift.

“They… they want to murder me.” A frightened Miko explains. “They must have find out we were leaving today when you went to acquire that horse… they rushed their plans.” Miko says with the same stuttering voice. Another bang is heard on the street, followed a horrifying scream. The landlord has just been attacked.

Footsteps.

In matter of seconds the main door is open, a group of three or four move inside the building. Miko manages stand up with her flimsy body. She is scared, but it doesn't seem to affect her actions. “We are not going to die here… that bird is wrong. It is... wrong...” Miko says while clenching her teeth, her condition has deteriorated over the night. Tears start to roll down the Crown Prince's face, her eyes reflect her only desire, how impotent she is right now to protect herself.

“Futo… don’t let me die here…”.
Toyosatomimi no Miko
Main Character

Postby Mononobe no Futo » 04 Jul 2013 10:10

"What...?" Futo was quite surprised by the way Miko acted, but she still let her took her hand and pulled her down. "What are you talking about--" She started to whisper, but quickly went quiet again when she touched her shoulder. What was happening? She could hear some noises outside and saw what transpired outside the window; but she still had no idea on what was happening, and with her liege being so cautious, she couldn't help but feel a little worried and afraid as well.

“They… they want to murder me.”

"N-no..." Futo gasped in horror as Miko finally explained the situation to her. As always, this was all her fault, she thought; if she was more discreet in her task, she wouldn't put the Crown Prince into such a grave danger. What had she done?

And then, it happened: blood was spilled and the assailants have entered the building. The situation seemed so sudden and desperate, and Futo's mind was quickly becoming a complete blank as she felt overwhelmed by it - but when she saw the tears in Miko's face and how she pleaded for her life, she was snapped back to reality. "No!" She shook her head vigorously. "I will protect you, and you will live, Crown Prince!" Although she was whispering, Futo had said those words with so much conviction that she might as well had shouted them out loud.

She took a quick look around the room and glanced at the door and the window, even as the sound offootsteps grew closer. "Please escape through here, my lady," she pointed toward the window. "I will hold them back, but you have to go to our horse - I promise that I will quickly follow you from behind."

Futo clasped Miko's hand with her own and smiled to her, hoping that she could hear and draw some strength from the other girl's love and desire to protect her - even amidst the swirls of murderous thoughts about them. That moment only lasted for a couple seconds, but she knew that the Saint could understand her heart better than what a thousand words could explain.

"Be safe," was what she finally said to her, and as she waited for her liege to escape, she focused back on the Taoist art that she had learned. It was hard to concentrate when images of Miko - weakened and finally crying - kept flitting into her mind, but the secret of the elements had always been in her blood.

The raging fire that rises and consumes slowly emerges in her thought, even as she adjusted her breath and waited for the villains to arrive.
Mononobe no Futo
Main Character

Postby Toyosatomimi no Miko » 09 Jul 2013 01:27

The Saint trembles in fear as their attackers approach quickly, she did ask Futo for her assistance, but her suggestion is not what she had in mind at all. Miko hesitates; leaving Futo alone is something she wouldn’t do in her right mind. The Saint wipes her tears as she looks at the room; this isn’t her real self, she doubts about who she is right now. “This room has made me weak.” The Saint says as she places her stare on the side of the room. “It has made me forget why I came here in the first place. All these memories of my land and people. I didn’t want to forget, yet I failed to remember who I am.”

The Saint shakes her head, and approaches a wooden shelf as fast as her body allows her. The shelf has jars and bottles of different sizes and shapes. Miko has her weapon against her hip; she uses her thumb to push the sword out of its sheath. She takes a final look at the room with empty eyes, she has to be quick. “I made a mistake.” The Saint mutters to herself, the blade shines a bright yellow while she unsheathes it.

The Crown Prince slashes the shelf, the strength of the blow easily torn apart the piece of furniture. The contents of the bottles ignite almost immediately. The walls and floor of the room get covered in the burning liquid. The spark that Miko has ignited engulfs the room in no time. Miko steps away, what is left of the shelf structure has weakened enough to crumble on the floor. A large wall of fire is now between the entrance and both girls, slowly consuming the room. The Saint sheathes her sword, witness of what she has unleashed.

The carpet, paintings and all of the Saint's clothes are completely destroyed in matter of seconds. The Saint is wordless... until.

“It is so warm…”, Miko collapses on the floor just a few seconds after saying those words. The group of men arrive moments later, overwhelmed by the flames, they stare at Futo who is on the other side of the room. It is not just any group of assassins, they are all clearly Japanese.
Toyosatomimi no Miko
Main Character

Postby Mononobe no Futo » 20 Jul 2013 20:23

Futo's eyes widened as Miko took out her weapon. In her mind, she thought of urging her liege to simply run away instead of bothering to take up arms, but no words came out of her mouth. To Futo, Miko swung her sword-arm with much certainty, knowing fully what she ought to do, so she could only watch as she struck down and set the room ablaze.

"Ah..." Her mouth gaped as she looked at the fire all around them, consuming the Crown Prince's precious belongings. Were she to face the incoming assassins, she might have also recoursed to fire and burned the room collaterally, but now, Miko herself was purposely destroying the small part of their homeland in this foreign place.

“It is so warm…”

At the scant moment that she saw Miko's footing faltered, Futo quickly put aside her other thoughts and swept in to catch her on her back and legs. "C-Crown Prince...! Are you alright?" She exclaimed as she anxiously tried to see if Miko was hurt anywhere, hoping that she was merely exhausted. "Please hang in there...! I'm... I'm here..." It was as if Futo didn't notice the flames or that there were others entering the room - for another second or two, she kept her attention on Miko before she finally lifted her head.

She wished that she could be surprised by the sight of these villains; that they were Japanese instead of some foreign robbers. But Futo knew first-hand how treacherous the court was, and she realized that it was only a matter of time before someone would try to murder someone as important as Miko at her moment of weakness. She knew what it means to betray someone, and was not in the position to lecture others about honor or loyalty.

Still, she raised her voice. "T-traitors," her voice shook as she spoke. "Traitors! Blasphemers!" She yelled those words out. "Who do you think you are fighting against?! Have you even anything you hope to accomplish?!" These assassins were trying to murder a saint, their own benevolent ruler, and end everything that she had worked so hard to achieve. That they dared to take a foul goal for their foul deeds was good enough reason for her anger, but Futo was furious that they would attempt to hurt Miko in the first place.

There was no time to deal with them, though. Silently thanking all the time she spent on training herself, she slowly lifted Miko up and looked for the nearest exit - while their pursuers were still stuck in this room, she would leap out of the window and move toward their horse, getting both of them on the steed and escape to safety.
Mononobe no Futo
Main Character

Postby Toyosatomimi no Miko » 25 Jul 2013 20:50

A wicked looking creature, its neck, as long as a bamboo broom stick. The lips of the creature are nonexistent and a nose is nowhere to be found. It is always there, stalking every single moment of the day. An empty stare that the Crown Prince has got used to. Her biggest fear is that this creature finally makes contact with her, something that it has never done, since it has no words to share.

A hallucination. She has shared the existence of this being with Futo just recently.

The poison running through her veins has made her mind feeble, just as weak as her body. Every day that goes by, it becomes more obvious that the Saint is losing her battle against it. Her smile is still large enough to know she still has another day to live.

It has been five days since Futo and the Saint left the main port town of Kwangtung. It has been a magnificent trip for the Saint so far, she has never suffered of any allergies, so the spring winds has no effect on her. The natural wonders displayed by that country are something that could be appreciated by anyone. A deep fog is always present; rains are constant which slows down the trip even more. The mud of the wet road makes it difficult to keep moving at a decent pace; they are travelling light, and even so, it is impossible not feel exhausted.

Any trails of civilization are long gone; adventuring into the heart of the country is something that the Saint has done before, but not with Futo, who has stayed with her inside the port town since she arrived. The amount of small villages decreases as they move away from the sea. The border of the province should be within their reach in the next few days. It has become apparent that the white horse has grabbed the attention of some local people moving down the road, they have not been stopped by anyone, yet.

The water bodies across the country seem to have increased in size because of the excessive rain, villagers are on the move, too busy trying to protect their homes from the stream’s overflow. Perhaps, a good thing to avoid being noticed. Miko has encouraged Futo to keep a low profile by taking off their usual attire and change it for farmer clothes and a rice hat.

Even if the Saint finds this country rather uninteresting, she can’t deny its beauty. The humidity of the place does not help in her recovery, but that doesn’t stop her from inspecting every detail of the countryside. She tries to listen to the conversations of the commoners that walk by, more interested in learning more about them than gathering a useful piece of information. She has remained silent most of the trip, not very atypical of the Saint.

Their first important stop is just ahead, they need to rest. It is clearly not something that Miko would like, even less when they are being chased. The Saint has made that clear verbally, for the first time in a long time the creature in her mind has kept a distance from her. It seems she is more worried about a fabrication of her subconscious than a group of assassins.

A large city, right in the path of a running river. It has started to rain again; the Saint grabs Futo tight as they cross the bridge that leads to the town. A large caravan is moving in the opposite direction of them both, which has made the Saint kind of nervous. A feudal lord.

The guards leading the group have become suspicious of the pair, it leads to a closer inspection by three of them, standing between the carriage and the white horse. “This sword is too long, I can’t cover it properly.” The Saint explains as the convoy is left behind, “Not a wise choice to re-arrange your equipment when you are being watched.” The Saint stops for a moment, allowing a few drops of rain get on her face. The end of the bridge is right in front of them, looking for a place to stay is the important task right now. A location where they do not leave a name written on a piece of paper, even if fake.

“Did you look at the note..?” Miko asks, groping Futo’s clothes.
Toyosatomimi no Miko
Main Character

Postby Mononobe no Futo » 03 Aug 2013 18:27

While Miko was spending the trip in silence, Futo tried to be as exuberant as she could. When her liege seemed to be listening to something, she kept her words to herself, knowing that there was something to keep the Saint's mind engaged. However, at the first sign of her attention wandering, Futo would quickly voice her amazement toward their surroundings. "Wow, the fog is so thick, but you can still see the outlines of - are those hills, Crown Prince? They look beautiful..." So she would chirp, even as she turned toward Miko and smiled at her.

One of the reasons for this behavior was due to Futo's actual fascination on being in this new place, but the other was because of her own worries about Miko's condition. She was obviously getting sicker by the day, and there was also the matter of her hallucination. Another person from the court might had thought of her as insane, but Futo was too loyal a vassal to simply dismiss such concerns; if her liege said that she had seen a terrifying creature, it might as well be real, and it would be up to her to keep her safe.

So far, the only thing that Futo could think of that might help was to keep Miko focusing on something else other than her fears and sickness. If nothing else, it would perhaps make the trip slightly more bearable.

"Ah... Well, even if they noticed your sword, it won't be that strange for some peasants to have an heirloom of a sort with them. It's alright," Futo tried to calm Miko down after her explanation. She had rather resented the fact that the Crown Prince had to don such a lowly disguise in her travels, but even the obstinate retainer realized the safety provided by the trappings of obscurity. This small incident, as well as the commoners' attention on their horse, were the only things that assuaged her that Miko was accorded the attention that she deserved - regardless of how dangerous it could be.

Futo lifted a hand when she noticed that it was starting to rain, and tried to see if one of the buildings in town might be a small inn of a sort when Miko grasped at her clothes.

“Did you look at the note..?”

Futo shook her head slowly. "...No, I didn't. I still have it with me... Should I look at it now?" She asked her, curious.
Mononobe no Futo
Main Character

Postby Toyosatomimi no Miko » 15 Aug 2013 09:18

The girl places her forehead against Futo’s back. There is a small pause, uncomfortable for the Saint, so she rushes her words. “Burn it. Tonight.” She says in a very weak voice. The Saint releases Futo’s clothes and sighs, there seems to be a lot in her mind.

A crowded street, as well as the smell of mud and wet fur is present. The sound of the river is making the people in this town feel uneasy; if it rains again that night, this place will be flooded, an uncertain future consequence of simply bad luck. Miko instructs Futo to move pass the city, in fear that they might be in danger of being spotted. It is impossible to avoid the stares, mostly the owners of establishments and people riding on other horses. This kind of attention isn’t exactly because of their unusual white companion like the Saint first thought.

It is something else… their faces. Futo is the main target of these gazes. Her exquisite face details and gorgeous eyes are not something you see every day, even less on a commoner. A perfect smooth skin, expected from someone that has spent most of her lifetime in-doors as a royalty member. Miko condition doesn’t allow her to even compete against such beauty; she barely has time to take care of herself in these two years. Japanese and Chinese are not very different physically, but plebeians are sharp; they can recognize a foreign on the spot. The Saint does not comment on the situation, but is aware of what is happening; Miko tries to look over Futo's shoulder, wondering if she is acquainted about it.

After going through the town, they reach the countryside once more. Another bridge is ahead. The same river splits a few kilometers away and the town is right between both streams. Miko leads Futo to what looks like an abandoned building. It has two floors, some windows as well as the main door are missing. Miko stares inside that place, it is getting dark, and so it is impossible to have a clear view through the entrance. “We can’t stay at the town… this should do.” The Saint explains, before jumping down the horse, she is quite energetic for being sick. She was probably right and that room back in Kwangtung made her weak, psychologically speaking.

Miko looks up at Futo as she rubs the fur of the horse and she walks by, “shall we?” The Saint wastes no time and goes inside. “I will check the first floor... you investigate the second.” Miko says taking a random direction without paying much attention to Futo. She has always been quite an adventurous woman.

( Don't let me carry this the whole way~ You can add things too you know! But that is up to you.
Toyosatomimi no Miko
Main Character

Next

Return to Human Village